PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft offering free XBLA game due to Live issues [joystiq]

Oobgarm
01-04-2008, 05:33 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/04/microsoft-offering-free-xbla-game-due-to-live-issues/

Dear Xbox LIVE Members:

During this past holiday season you helped us break a number of Xbox LIVE records. This included our largest sign-up of new members to Xbox LIVE in our 5 year history and just yesterday you broke the record for the single biggest day of concurrent members ever on the service.

As a result of this massive increase in usage we know that some of you experienced intermittent Xbox LIVE issues over the holiday break. While the service was not completely offline at any given time, we are disappointed in our performance. I would like to take this moment to thank you each and every one of you for your patience and understanding as our team has worked around the clock to return the service to a stable state.

At the same time we would like to offer a token of our appreciation to all of you in celebration of record success for the service. And as a thank you for your loyalty during this holiday period, we will be offering all of our Xbox LIVE members around the world access to a full Xbox LIVE Arcade game that will be available to download free of charge. In the coming weeks we will be sharing the specific details of this offer with you.

Let's hope that it's a new title or that we get to select one, not some predetermined crap-since not everyone will be able to take part if they've already purchased.

Nesmaster
01-04-2008, 06:07 AM
They should just credit 400 or 800 points to everyone and let us choose. :wishful thinking:

Seriously if they offer up Joust or Robotron for the two people who don't already have that why bother?

s1lence
01-04-2008, 07:35 AM
I would prefer a credit of points instead of a game, only because I have all the XBLA games.

Its a very nice gesture by Microsoft though.

sisko
01-04-2008, 07:36 AM
I picked a hell of a time to bite the bullet and finally subscribe LOL

Nebagram
01-04-2008, 07:54 AM
It's gonna be Frogger, isn't it?

Slate
01-04-2008, 08:04 AM
I hope they just credit 800 points instead, I already have 12 or 13 XBLA Games, And you could have guessed that I have worms, uno and robotron. I don't have joust, Frogger or pac man though. But I'd rather have a choice of what i want to buy.

segagamer4life
01-04-2008, 08:27 AM
I hope they just credit 800 points instead, I already have 12 or 13 XBLA Games, And you could have guessed that I have worms, uno and robotron. I don't have joust, Frogger or pac man though. But I'd rather have a choice of what i want to buy.

ditto, give me points, and let me choose what free game to get, don't screw us into getting some crap we already have, hell points don't really cost M$ anything right?

heybtbm
01-04-2008, 08:29 AM

This was my first thought too.

jcalder8
01-04-2008, 08:48 AM
My guess it's going to be a game nobody has yet. Something like Aegis Wing where MS doesn't feel that they could make enough money from it so they just give it away.

GrandAmChandler
01-04-2008, 09:45 AM

Or Joust.

FAMOUS
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
im happy with whatever i get, i only have tmnt and double dragon, so it will work out for me ROFL

ProgrammingAce
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM
It's going to end up being Space Giraffe... that'll keep the gamers happy and that'll shut Minter up. They're sick of hearing him bitch too.

Frankie_Says_Relax
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Come on, it's totally going to be Aegis Wing.

You know it.

;)

Vinnysdad
01-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Looks like I am screwed again. First I couldnt play LIVE and then when it started working my 360 got the RROD. Im guessing I wont get it back in time for the free game. Damn you to hell MS and where the hell is the cardboard coffin already?

sisko
01-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Come on, it's totally going to be Ageis Wing.

You know it.

;)

Well that's just silly.

It's totally going to be Aegis Wing II.

Nirvana
01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Sweet. I was wondering why my stuff wouldn't load on the front page. Until now at least.

Woo! Free game. Gotta keep this topic up so I can get details on it.

Chuplayer
01-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Im guessing I wont get it back in time for the free game. Damn you to hell MS and where the hell is the cardboard coffin already?

This. They should send me something for my multiple consoles' problems over the past couple months. Like, a console that works this time!!! I swear, if they send me another borked console, I'm selling off the console and my entire profile which includes a number of XBLA games.

And if I miss out on this offer while my console's away, I'm gonna kick Bill Gates in the nuts. Yeah, right in the fucking nuts. And I even offered to send it myself with the replacement's box which I kept and pay for shipping so I can get it back sooner, but they won't accept that. Fucktards.

stonecutter
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I hope they credit points I can use on DLC for Rock Band

diskoboy
01-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Make Rez HD free, and (to me) all will be forgiven.

Gorez
01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
supposedly you will get to choose any XBLA game you want. says my woman that works at xbox live support. atleast thats what the email said that she got.

Sothy
01-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Yaris

spoon
01-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Cardboard Coffin Racing.

New title. Just (not) in time for the holidays.

TurboGenesis
01-05-2008, 08:09 AM
I hope it is a title that I can choose (Omega Five ;) )

G-Boobie
01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
I hope it is a title that I can choose (Omega Five ;) )

Hells yes Omega Five. Or Rez HD.

Of course, downloading a free game requires that I be able to view my profile or sign into Live someday.

Damaramu
01-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Hmm...I think the free game is Aegis Wing. Why? I'm currently downloading it (as I'm typing), for free.

heybtbm
01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Hmm...I think the free game is Aegis Wing. Why? I'm currently downloading it (as I'm typing), for free.

That's been free since release.

Damaramu
01-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Ha! Good to know then! The game is a bit of a....stinker.

gepeto
01-06-2008, 03:15 PM

That was always free. man that game once I figured it out was awesome. I still havene't received my bonus points for being a long standing live member.

Poofta!
01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
im cool with choosing, instead of points, but since ill hate joust/robotron/frogger/DD or any other old arcade game...

the only xbla game i have is carcosonne that they gave to me for free and i love it.

im always grateful to get anything for free =]

spoon
01-06-2008, 04:36 PM
That was always free. man that game once I figured it out was awesome. I still havene't received my bonus points for being a long standing live member.

What are these long standing live points you speak of?

Also, I had 800 more MS points than I was supposed to have when I logged on last night. I was thinking maybe that was the credit for the problems?

Trebuken
01-06-2008, 05:20 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184323.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

Microsoft is being sued for over $5 million by three Texas residents for troubles they had connecting after the holidays. They claim Microsoft should have anticipated this...

Frivolous? or is there more to it?

Darren870
01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184323.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

Microsoft is being sued for over $5 million by three Texas residents for troubles they had connecting after the holidays. They claim Microsoft should have anticipated this...

Frivolous? or is there more to it?

I hate this world sometimes....

gepeto
01-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Also, I had 800 more MS points than I was supposed to have when I logged on last night. I was thinking maybe that was the credit for the problems?

For there 5 year annivasary Ms was giving points to all the subscribers that have been with them since 2002.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49977

PapaStu
01-06-2008, 07:36 PM

For there 5 year annivasary Ms was giving points to all the subscribers that have been with them since 2002.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49977

Spoon, you shouldn't have just been given the points if they were part of teh XBox Live is 5 Founding Member points give away. I had to go to the link that Gepeto posted (but I did it a long while back) and 'register' to get them. When I did it back in Oct they were proud to tell me that i'd be getting my points sometime in mid december. I got them just before xmas in an email and had to enter in the code to get them. So Gepeto, check your spam folders, it might have gone into there.

spoon
01-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Ahh, ok.

I was wondering if anyone else had an 800 points credit to their account?
I have no clue why I got it. I have only been on Live for 5 months or so.

I was thinking maybe it was for all the problems, but, appears I am the only one that got a credit.

johno590
01-11-2008, 07:25 AM
Any updates on this free game? Or when we will get it?

diskoboy
01-18-2008, 11:41 AM
The free game MS is putting up will be Undertow.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/18/microsoft-apologizes-for-xbox-live-issues-with-free-undertow-dow/

And those who already own the game are shit outta luck. Therefore, count me extrordinarily pissed off since I'm still having issues with XBLA, and I bought Undertow the day it was released.

BAD move, MS.

Anyone here that already does own the game, I suggest we bombard MS customer service for this pathetic excuse for an "apology".

BTW - I'm not saying the game is bad... It's kind of a cross between Geometry Wars and any Battlefield game, make it 2-D, and set it underwater. It just pisses me off that MS didn't take into consideration that people already own this game, and those that do get shafted.

s1lence
01-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Ok, I had to post this because if you have the game already , you are NOT out of luck.

I called Microsoft and within 10 minutes I had 800 points credited to my account to use as I please. So as I see it, I made out better then the people that don't have the game.

Seriously, just call, even though the game offer isn't out yet they are already giving people credit.

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2008/01/18/undertow-free-of-charge-next-week.aspx?PageIndex=2#7

diskoboy
01-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Ok, I had to post this because if you have the game already , you are NOT out of luck.

I called Microsoft and with-in 10 minutes I had 800 points credited to my account to use as I please. So as I see it, I made out better then the people that don't have the game.

Seriously, just call, even though the game offer isn't out yet they are already giving people credit.

http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2008/01/18/undertow-free-of-charge-next-week.aspx?PageIndex=2#7

Excellent.

Looks like I'll be getting Rez HD for free, after all....

Vinnysdad
01-18-2008, 07:06 PM

I called Microsoft and within 10 minutes I had 800 points credited to my account to use as I please. So as I see it, I made out better then the people that don't have the game.

What if your console is currently at a repair center like mine. If I dont receive it back in time for this free game do you think I would still be able to call and get MS points?

Lothars
01-18-2008, 07:11 PM
What if your console is currently at a repair center like mine. If I dont receive it back in time for this free game do you think I would still be able to call and get MS points?

That's my problem as well, My 360 is gone and I don't expect to get it for the next month or so.

I am going to call MS and see what they can do though.

Nesmaster
01-18-2008, 08:39 PM
At least it's something I haven't already bought, but I'd rather have the points. :(

Chuplayer
01-18-2008, 09:16 PM

This is also my situation. If I miss out on my free stuff for the problems that I had for the brief amount of time I had my replacement 360 (got it on Christmas Eve and had problems right away), M$ can fuck right off.

stonecutter
01-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I think it is a bad approach for the obvious reasons of people waiting to get back their systems, and the fact that many have bought the game, you guys rightfully should be pissed. The point credit would be much fairer, and just credit every account. None of this bullshit of a limited time to download, there will be many others who may not be aware and miss out on the download as well.

Shame on you MS for trying to cheap out in these ways.

swlovinist
01-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Microsoft has alot of catching up to do when it comes ot PR moves. They should give points out as an apology, not a free game. Heaven forbid that they have customers buy what they want!

Half Japanese
01-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I was on the verge of retrying the Undertow demo in the near future to consider a purchase anyway, so I have no complaints about the resolution. Of course, I didn't play much online over the holidays, so I'm probably not the best person to make a judgement call here.

stonecutter
01-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't have it either, so I will gladly take it. BUT, they are still not doing this properly. I agree with you swlovinist, and if I had a choice it would not be for this game as offered.

Nirvana
01-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Well, to be honest, I never had true issues with X-Box live over break. I mean, the only thing that happened was those screens weren't loading at startup. But it didn't bother me at all.

IMO, I think it's just asking too much; I mean, I know it sucks for the people who have the game. Those people should get the 800 points.

Ponyone
01-19-2008, 09:40 PM
My nephew called, and the woman said they cannot credit him 800 points.

He then lied and said he already had undertow, and the lady said that they realize this may be a problem (people already owning it) and they are working on something to rectify said situation.

So maybe everyone will be receiving 800 points?

ProgrammingAce
01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
My nephew called, and the woman said they cannot credit him 800 points.

He then lied and said he already had undertow, and the lady said that they realize this may be a problem (people already owning it) and they are working on something to rectify said situation.

So maybe everyone will be receiving 800 points?

You know the reps can see what you've purchased, right?

You're only getting 800 points if you've already bought undertow. Lying about it is only going to get a note put in your profile...

DigitalSpace
01-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Microsoft has alot of catching up to do when it comes ot PR moves. They should give points out as an apology, not a free game.

Quoted for truth.

Ponyone
01-20-2008, 06:54 PM
You know the reps can see what you've purchased, right?

You're only getting 800 points if you've already bought undertow. Lying about it is only going to get a note put in your profile...

You gonna tell the teach you snitch??! I'll see you after school, playground... 3:30.

All kidding aside, he's 9 and not always thinking with his... brain. I give him props for even trying to pull out that he had undertow after they denied him of the 800 points.

I've still to get my return/credit for my UNO card that doesn't work. Bought on Christmas, still unusable. Had to buy another one. I realize it's only 4.99/400 points, but I had to spend countless calls (at least 4, most going upwards to 45 minutes each call) feeling like I was in the bush and Charlie was all around me and my platoon. I had to do the Tango Bravo Delta Burke thing 3 times on one call (which is fun reading off a 25 digit code, slowly, using military code, 3 times)...

Anyhoo, so I guess they will work something out for the people who already have said game.

kingpong
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Have those of you who are calling for Microsoft to hand out points instead of a game taken a moment to think of why that won't happen? Normally with points, Microsoft gets your money up front, then as you buy content the publishers get their cut. If you're given 800 points for free, Microsoft is paying out the content owners cut of those 800 points X 10 million subscribers (assuming everybody redeems the points - who wouldn't?). They're also losing out on a theoretical income of $100 million on the sales of points that users now won't have to buy - if all 10 million bought $10 worth of points online, that's nothing but cash for MS. Put these together and in theory it would ultimately cost MS well over $100 million to give everyone 800 points.

Compare this to the free game approach. If you're MS you take a look at the XBLA sales figures and find something that is a flop. Safe to assume Undertow fits in that category, as it is a bit of a stinker. The publisher of Undertow can see the sales trends for the game and can project their future income, as has Microsoft. Microsoft goes to the publisher and says "we'll give you $XXX if we can make your game free for a few days". I'm thinking this number may be around $100K, and that seems high given how few more copies I would expect this game to sell to current subscribers. If you're the publisher of an underperforming game, you see that this is more money than you were ever going to make, so it looks like a good deal to you. If you're Microsoft, it costs you just that $100K plus the income from the points that would have been redeemed on actual sales of the game (which we believe is a small amount - otherwise we would have picked another game).

So for all the parties involved, in the end we have:
Undertow publisher - Gets a wad of cash larger than their game would ever bring them
Microsoft - Cost them a few hundred thousand dollars instead of over $100 million
XBL subscribers - We get something for free for an annoying problem that cost us our ability to use $4 worth of our subscription. Might not be the freebie we'd like to get, but better than nothing.

Believe me, I'd rather get just about anything other than Undertow, and points would be the best, but it isn't going to happen.

FAMOUS
01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm happy with any free game...UnderTow doesn't look that bad, im all smiles

stonecutter
01-23-2008, 10:57 PM
OK, this is what M$ calls an apology, I downloaded this and played a game, I think its more of a bloody punishment... definately not worth the problems we had with Live over the holidays.

DJ Daishi
01-24-2008, 12:12 AM
OK, this is what M$ calls an apology, I downloaded this and played a game, I think its more of a bloody punishment... definately not worth the problems we had with Live over the holidays.

lol, I think they should give us another game to make up for yet another disappointment.

evil_genius
01-24-2008, 02:47 AM
I gotta crazy idea. How about they make the service work better.