PDA

View Full Version : Wii Classic Games - Retainer Rights?

ManciGames
01-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey all,

Long time, no post... I've got a quick question. Forgive me if it's already been asked, but I'm not even sure what search terms to enter to begin to look for it.

But, has Nintendo ever said what happens to your purchased game downloads in the following cases:

1) You bust your Wii and need to get a new one

2) The Wii 2 comes out and you retire your old Wii

In other words, do you retain the rights to your downloaded games forever, or will you have to pay for them again when the successor comes out or you buy another Wii?

Thanks,
Jaysen

Icarus Moonsight
01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
You can call Nintendo and have your dl record (stored by them via the system id) transferred to a new Wii. Then you will be able to re-dl the content to the new Wii at anytime just as normal. I haven't been through this process so I don't know the exact steps so, I'd just call Nintendo first and I'm sure they'll walk ya through it. You have to format the old Wii sometime in the process, unless it's dead, then you'd more than likely give them your serial number of the case in the back.

Regarding #2 I have no idea. I imagine it may end up with a similar solution as #1. If at all possible. We're waving controllers in the air now... It's getting near impossible to predict the direction games will take in the future.

ManciGames
01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the info on the new Wii question.

Yeah, #2 is starting to bother me a bit. I'd really like to start downloading some stuff en masse, but I'm afraid it might just be money down the drain once the successor system comes out. I could always keep the Wii hooked up to play the downloaded stuff, but it will go at some point, and who knows if Nintendo will even support the machine on that level, say 10 or 15 years from now. Just don't want to waste the cash.

If I don't find anything on the forums here, I think I'll email Nintendo and see what they have to say.

swlovinist
01-06-2008, 08:52 PM
The Wii is going to be around for at least 3 more years commerically. I would not worry about it. Nintendo has a good Customer Service record.

neotokeo2001
01-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Downloadable content is going to cause some major problems in the future. With Nintendos past history of releasing the same games on every piece of new hardware, Don't expect them to let you just transfer your Wii console games to any successor.

And what will happen to your online multiplayer games when they are no longer supported?

I prefer to have a physical copy of the game in my hands over buying downloadable content. With MAME and all of the console emulators I can already keep my collection safely packed away and still play my favorite games. Why would I spend money to play the exact same game on the Wii? At least X-Box Live gives you updated versions to play.

ManciGames
01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
The Wii is going to be around for at least 3 more years commerically. I would not worry about it. Nintendo has a good Customer Service record.

But these games are older than three years, and I'll want to play them for longer than three years from now. So, I do worry, and don't want to waste my cash.

I prefer to have a physical copy of the game in my hands over buying downloadable content.

See, that's always been my mindset too... But if Nintendo wants to hold my collection on their servers and let me play it on whatever current Nintendo system I have, I'd rather do that than drag all the old systems out as needed. I dunno...guess I'll wait and see. But it is correct in that we've got some sorting out to do on the downloadable content front.

Flack
01-07-2008, 06:02 AM
I think what you're asking is, "if I buy an NES game, is it guaranteed to play on my Super Nintendo?" The answer is obviously no. There has been no talk of the Wii 2.0 yet (or whatever it will be called), and what it will or won't do, etc. You are not paying for a lifetime license, and there are no guarantees that the next generation will be backwards compatible at all. In fact, I think Sony and Microsoft both set a precident this round when it comes to backwards compatibility. Sony advertised PS2 BC for the PS3 and went from hardware-based BC, to software-based BC, to no BC. Microsoft advertised Xbox BC for the 360 and I don't think it turned out the way any of us imagined. As people continue to buy these consoles and not complain about BC, what we are saying as consumers is that it's not important to us -- and that's great for console makers, who love reselling us software since that's way more profitable than selling us hardware.

Would it be nice if you could transfer over all these virtual games to a new console? Sure. Is it likely? Not very. Maybe Nintendo will open a virtual pawn shop where you can trade in all your games and get half the points back.

Icarus Moonsight
01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Well, the VC stuff isn't owned, though you pay for it. You're pretty much purchasing a license to use the software dl. Read the agreement, yes, take the time and actually read it once. Though I doubt Nintendo would screw every VC gamer over by terminating the service, however, the right to do so IS explicitly reserved. Back up them dl's on SD cards and you got nothing to worry about. Also if a future Wii update eliminates VC, simply do not update. I can't think of a reason for Nintendo to actually do this mind you. :) Though, we're more than likely not going to have infinite access to just dl, delete, and re-dl forever. All online services eventually end... so far, there are few exceptions.

On a side note has anyone tried to look at Wii data transfered to an SD card on a PC? If you can use a HDD and/or optical media for back-ups that would certainly be helpful. If not, I have something to investigate now. Yay! :D If it isn't possible then Nintendo better have a solution in the works and make it avaliable in the near future.

Leo_A
01-07-2008, 11:56 AM
The concern isn't storing these files. The original author of this thread thinks he should be allowed to transfer his games to the successor of the Wii (Which I disagree with), and the other concern is what happens if your Wii encounters issues after Nintendo drops support, leaving you without your VC games.

You can easily backup your games to a SD card and then transfer them to anything, but that isn't going to do you any good if the Wii they were purchased on fails.

And why would Nintendo ever eliminate the VC channel through a update? And Nintendo terminating the service doesn't mean they're screwing gamers or making current VC games unable to be played. I don't see what this has to do with the topic at hand.

Icarus Moonsight
01-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Leo: They're simply "if"s and they actually do relate to the subject of not being able to play VC games. I'm no oracle. Who knows where VC is going to be years from now. :p Best not to let possible options escape you if you're concerned about it.

It's safe to say that if your Wii goes out after VC downloads cease then your pretty much SOL. This will be interesting to see just how Nintendo handles this in the future. It's also why not owning the games (as stated in the agreement) is important. There is no case for damages so it's legal language that protects them from future civil acts, if they should arise.

Even if the disk drive fails you should be able to boot-up the other channels and given Nintendo's system reliability record I'm not very concerned about it all.

Ze_ro
01-10-2008, 06:34 AM
You do realize that a lot of us on this forum still have our 2600's, right? Three years may be fine for the general audience, but it's a drop in the bucket for us. If Nintendo tries to charge people for Super Mario Bros again 3 years down the road, I imagine there will be a lot of pissed off DP'ers...

The good news is that since the VC runs on software emulators, it's entirely possible that a Wii successor, even with entirely different hardware, could be made to work with existing VC downloads. The same can't be said about XBLA games.

--Zero

Leo_A
01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
The same thing can be said about XBLA actually. A successor to the Wii would require its safe to assume rewritten emulators to run these games. Who are you to say MS couldn't make the 720 or whatever run current XBLA games through 360 emulation? Or perhaps the 360's successor will have its hardware be compatible with the 360, unlike this time around.

Its stupid to speculate at this point, but I don't think your statement is necessarily true.

Ze_ro
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
The difference here is that the Wii 2 would only have to emulate the NES/SNES/N64/etc, while the Xbox 720 would have to emulate the 360... much more difficult.

--Zero

FantasiaWHT
01-11-2008, 07:31 AM
If Nintendo tries to charge people for Super Mario Bros again 3 years down the road, I imagine there will be a lot of pissed off DP'ers...

Add me to that list.

A related question - what's the possibility (does it exist? Is it likely to?) of a PC emulator that can read your VC games off an SD card and play them?

Hey Icarus, where are the EULA's for VC games? I want to read them now.

Flack
01-11-2008, 02:08 PM
To all the people who will be pissed off if they have to re-pay for SMB3 on the Wii II, my question is, if you own the NES cart, are you pissed off that you had to re-pay for it to play it on your Wii?

Neil Koch
01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
Add me to that list.

A related question - what's the possibility (does it exist? Is it likely to?) of a PC emulator that can read your VC games off an SD card and play them?

Hey Icarus, where are the EULA's for VC games? I want to read them now.

I looked at the VC stuff on my SD card, and there's folders for each game, but no actual files in them (and I do have my PC set to view all hidden files and folders).

ManciGames
01-13-2008, 11:00 AM
To all the people who will be pissed off if they have to re-pay for SMB3 on the Wii II, my question is, if you own the NES cart, are you pissed off that you had to re-pay for it to play it on your Wii?

Hey Flack...

I see what you are getting at, but I think the difference here, in my mind anyway, is that if I have a the original NES cart and my Nintendo kicks the bucket, I still have the original cart. I can buy another NES and I'm back in business.

On the other hand, if ten years down the road the Wii busts and I've got 40 downloaded games on it, I can't just get another Wii and transfer the games, or re-download them. That's money down the drain.

DaBargainHunta
01-14-2008, 05:27 AM
What would the point be? You can play all of these games on your PC right now. Yeah, I know there's the whole gray area issue of that to consider. Still though, a PC Virtual Console emulator seems silly and unnecessary to me.

Now, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not saying that people should forgo buying games on the VC because they're available for free on the PC. Not at all. I love the VC and have several games for it. Even though Nintendo hasn't done much in the way of extras, a few games do sport them (ExciteBike and Pokemon Snap, for example), and it helps that all of the VC games I've tried look much sharper and clearer than I ever remember them being before.

Flack
01-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey Flack...

I see what you are getting at, but I think the difference here, in my mind anyway, is that if I have a the original NES cart and my Nintendo kicks the bucket, I still have the original cart. I can buy another NES and I'm back in business.

On the other hand, if ten years down the road the Wii busts and I've got 40 downloaded games on it, I can't just get another Wii and transfer the games, or re-download them. That's money down the drain.

I would back those 40 games up on SD cards. Then, if your Wii busts ten years from now, you can get a new Wii and transfer the games.

(Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate a bit.)

EDIT: I was just informed that you can't do that. Oh well. Maybe in 10 years, you'll be able to. ;)

Icarus Moonsight
01-14-2008, 01:50 PM
What would the point be? You can play all of these games on your PC right now. Yeah, I know there's the whole gray area issue of that to consider. Still though, a PC Virtual Console emulator seems silly and unnecessary to me.

Now, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'm not saying that people should forgo buying games on the VC because they're available for free on the PC. Not at all. I love the VC and have several games for it. Even though Nintendo hasn't done much in the way of extras, a few games do sport them (ExciteBike and Pokemon Snap, for example), and it helps that all of the VC games I've tried look much sharper and clearer than I ever remember them being before.

I think he means since you payed for the games they would be legal roms. Hence bypassing the whole roms are theft snafu. So there is a point. Maybe one is comfortable playing VC games on an emulator where they would have a problem doing the same with currently available roms. Since you would have the VC version on your Wii or SD card it doesn't give you rights to the rom dumped from the original cart or image from a disk. Or so I'd think. They are two different things.

Lucifersam1
10-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Not to bring back a dead thread, or hijack it either (this seems like a thread that is similar though - which is better than starting a new one IMHO), but I just called Nintendo about my (broken?) Wii. I have these weird speckles all over the screen when I play games, including Virtual Console games. After some research, I determined it was probably the GPU overheating, which caused permanent damage.

My problem, which I stated at the onset of my coversation, I bought it (well my Wife did) a year ago this past September, so the one year limited warrenty is over. They said this is not a problem and that they will send me a FedEx slip to my email address. I did not even have the serial number, as I am at work. They said I would be able to get all my VC stuff again, and I could back up my saves on an SD card, which I have. If i recall hearing though, they said they could transfer stuff to a new system if this one could not be fixed.

The main point I am trying to make (and I am not a Nintendo fanboy, I have a PS3 as well), is that the woman was nice, understanding, and accomodating. She went the extra mile considering the machine is out of Warranty. They even said that a new warranty begins when they send the machine back out. In an age of shitty customer service, Nintendo definitely exceeded my expectations.

Having said all that, let's see if they actually come through though (I am a cynic).