PDA

View Full Version : Modern day Shmups?

G-Boobie
01-07-2008, 12:30 AM
I've been playing(and loving) R-Type Final over the last few days, and it got me thinking about the Shmup genre. The most revered games in the genre are from the Saturn era and before; Radiant Silvergun, Thunder Force, Raiden, Batsugan, Dodonpachi, etc. etc. etc.

I have Ikaruga and enjoy it, but other than that the selection of current-gen and last-gen shmup games seems a bit thin. Other than R-Type Final, Silpheed: Lost Planet, Raiden III, Ikaruga and Gradius V, are there any shmups with North American releases worth checking out?

Kid Fenris
01-07-2008, 01:13 AM
Castle Shikigami 2 is both an enjoyable shooter and a brilliant comedy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPYbnZXqAmE).

PsychoCandy
01-07-2008, 01:30 AM
I'd REALLY like to see some shmups on Wii make use of the controller.

PsychoCandy
01-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Cho Aniki on playstation 2, an important, but worth a look none the less if not just for it's hillarious homosexual undertones.

meancode
01-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Castle Shikigami 3 is coming to the Wii and 360. Out on the 360 in Japan. But you should have Castle Shikigami 2 for the PS2 if you do not already. Omega Five hits this week for XBLA. Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer is out for PC and is said to be coming to the PSN in 2008. Raiden IV is said to be coming, there has been word that Treasure is working on a 360 shooter, too.

Thats not too bad considering how shmups are not the most popular genre in the word.

PsychoCandy
01-07-2008, 01:47 AM
Woo Wii Shmup. Any word if Castle Shikigami 3 is coming to the US?

meancode
01-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Almost forgot about Star Soldier R, its gonna be a WiiWare title. Castle Shikigami 3 is coming to the US, aparently, Q2 2008.

G-Boobie
01-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Here's hoping the translation of Castle Shikigami 3 continues the traditions of grace, depth, and deep spiritual meaning that Castle Shikigami 2's translation established.

-_-Nintendo-_-
01-07-2008, 03:48 AM
Steel Dragon Ex is worth a look.

josekortez
01-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Yeah, I read somewhere that Castle Shikigami 3 is supposed to be coming to the U.S. this spring on Wii, but not on the 360. There are a few more shmups coming on Wii in Japan, but I don't know if those are coming to the U.S. I thought the sequel to Kiki Kai Kai was also coming to PS2 and Wii here this spring, but I can't remember which site I read that on...

smork
01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
The Dreamcast is last gen, so you've got Mars Matrix and Gunbird 2 (might be others, I don't do the US DC thang) on the domestic front, and a pile of others on the import one.

Don't forget Nanostray! Nice little shooter for the DS, Nanostray 2 coming out soon.

XYXZYZ
01-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Get a Dreamcast that plays Japanese discs. Get Under Defeat. All will be right with the world.

Raiden Fighters is also coming to 360 in Japan, what's the chance of an American release there?

PsychoCandy
01-07-2008, 10:27 AM
They need to put mroe shmups out here. I can only imagine how nice it's gonna be playing with the wiimote and nunchuck controller.

RadiantSvgun
01-07-2008, 10:55 AM
PS2 has some good stuff on JPN release. Espgaluda, Mushimesama, Dodonpachi, Homura, and its got various shooter compilations.

As for US releases, you can't beat Gradius V.

esquire
01-07-2008, 10:58 AM
What about Geometry Wars: Galaxies for the Wii and DS? There's also Chaos Field for the Gamecube which can also be played on the Wii.

Don't forget Gradius I & II for the PS2. There's also Mobile Light Force 2 (a localized US version of Shikigami no Shiro) for the PS2

Also, check out the following GBA games which can be played on the DS, although some of them are not so revered:

R-Type III: The Third Lightning
Gradius Galaxies
Iridion II
Iridion 3D
Phalanx
Darius R (Import)

Captain Wrong
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
They need to put mroe shmups out here. I can only imagine how nice it's gonna be playing with the wiimote and nunchuck controller.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I can't see how the Wiimote/'chuck would provide anywhere near the type of accuracy needed for a modern shmup. A game like Dodonpachi with the Wiimote? You'd be flailing around like you were having an episode and probably dying, a lot.

PsychoCandy
01-07-2008, 01:25 PM
exactly but if done right it could be fun :P

heybtbm
01-07-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm going to vote, "no".

TurboGenesis
01-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Shin Chuka Taisen is coming the the USA for the Wii.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/61cFPJsvECL._AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Monkey-King-Legend-Begins/dp/B000TIPWJM)

This game is in the series of Cloud Master of the Sega Master System.

also slated to come:
Milestone shooting collection (http://item.rakuten.co.jp/edigi-game/jan-4560193520168/) Which is include Karous, Radirgy, and Chaos Field (source is in Japanese)

Hopefully O3 can bring this over. They bring us Chaos Field and Radio Allergy was done for the GCN but that get cancelled.

PsychoCandy
01-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Shin Chuka Taisen - I shall be buying this if it's even average at 30 bucks that looks cool as hell.

Captain Wrong
01-07-2008, 08:23 PM

OK, but how? Since you've been "imagining how nice it's going to be", perhaps you could explain to me how you see this working. Because the only scenario I see with the Wiimote (with or without the 'chuck) working for shmups is with a seriously dumbed down game or totally unnecessary novelty control tacked on to a game that someone tries once and never tries again.

Maybe you're seeing something I'm not.

whoisKeel
01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
OK, but how? Since you've been "imagining how nice it's going to be", perhaps you could explain to me how you see this working. Because the only scenario I see with the Wiimote (with or without the 'chuck) working for shmups is with a seriously dumbed down game or totally unnecessary novelty control tacked on to a game that someone tries once and never tries again.

Maybe you're seeing something I'm not.

Ok, brace yourself:

The nunchuck moves the ship. The A button fires. B button is supplement.

OR

The Wiimote is sideways. The D-pad moves the ship. The 1 button fires. 2 is supplement.

So crazy it might work?

SkiDragon
01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
I actually like the idea of a shmup controlled with the Wii remote. Imagine your ship being controlled just like a cursor, and able to rotate 360 degrees besides. It may actually make the game too easy, like some mouse controlled shmups I have played.

blissfulnoise
01-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Ok, brace yourself:

OR

The Wiimote is sideways. The D-pad moves the ship. The 1 button fires. 2 is supplement.

So crazy it might work?

I think it was more in relation to the noted, and problematic, sensitivity and accuracy of the Wii motion controls. Of course it would play just fine if you used the controllers in a traditional fashion.

Wii owners seem to be clamoring for more use out of the motion controls but in the majority of games they hurt the game on the whole. A traditional manic shmup would be virtually impossible to play if motion controls were tacked on.

Now if they retool the concept to make it more motion friendly, I'm all on board, but I'll be damned if I'm playing Ibara using the Wiimote's motion controls to make the ship move around. It's this very thing that has me a bit worried about the upcoming Milestone shmup compilation coming up (Radirgy, Karos, and Chaos Field).

ssjlance
01-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Dreamcast is a treasure trove of Shmups. Ikaruga, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, and countless others. Unfortunately, the good Shmups are some of the more expensive titles for the system.

CosmicMonkey
01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
A Dreamcast and a PStwo will provide you with enough shmups to last a lifetime. You'll need to be able to play Japanese games on both machines but you'll also have access to most of the PSone shooters via the PStwo.

Get your telly turned on it's side too.

otaku
01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
yeah another than ikaruga I haven't really played any modern shmups (lots of old ones though particularly saturn as you stated) however I've also played alot of shmups on my wii to (ikaruga, vc titles mostly turbografx) but yeah mostly old school

Some good stuff coming though but its just not a hugely popular genre now

Captain Wrong
01-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Ok, brace yourself:

OR

So crazy it might work?

Yeah, no shit Sherlock, I get that but PsychoCandy was implying that the point at the screen and motion/distance detecting abilities that make the Wii controls unique would somehow benefit shmups. If you're just going to use the 'mote/'chuck like conventional controllers, then what's the point?

RegSNES
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Castle Shikigami 2 is both an enjoyable shooter and a brilliant comedy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPYbnZXqAmE).

QFT. If someone said to me "My name's Ko and I'm beating down evil" I'm not sure if I'd run away screaming or bust out laughing.

CS2 and Mobile Light Force 2 were the last modern shooters I picked up. I've been thinking about getting Raiden III. Never played any of the games but that $30 price tag was a slap in the face. Now GameStop has it for $20 so I'll probably get it eventually.

josekortez
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Let's not forget Silpheed: The Lost Planet for PS2 which is a pretty good if not straightforward shooter in my opinion and cheap too.

whoisKeel
01-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah, no shit Sherlock, I get that but PsychoCandy was implying that the point at the screen and motion/distance detecting abilities that make the Wii controls unique would somehow benefit shmups. If you're just going to use the 'mote/'chuck like conventional controllers, then what's the point?

Cheaper development costs (what's the last 2D shmup that sold for full retail price in the U.S.?), and the market share of the Wii.

Not every Wii game needs motion controls.

Lemmy Kilmister
01-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Don't forget Gradius I & II for the PS2. There's also Mobile Light Force 2 (a localized US version of Shikigami no Shiro) for the PS2.
I believe you meant to say Gradius III and IV. ;)

Kamisama
01-10-2008, 07:55 AM
don't forget Last Hope being a nice oldschool style shmup for the Dreamcast. Very Hard to beat though..

RegSNES
01-12-2008, 12:01 PM
don't forget Last Hope being a nice oldschool style shmup for the Dreamcast. Very Hard to beat though..

Did this game come to the states or was it import only?

TurboGenesis
01-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Did this game come to the states or was it import only?

In regard to Last Hope, It was available through import shops (Play-Asia, NCSX) and the developer them selves, whom are German.

The game is on CD and is region free.

Now if it is a good game, that is something that many folks will debate. Defiantly an aquire taste and a VERY challenging game.

notoriusvig
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
The Gradius Collection was released for the PSP in the US. This includes Gradius I-IV and Gradius Galaxies. Konami also released numerous PSP shmup sets in Japan like the Salamander Collection and Parodius Collection and I think Twinbee Collection came out too.

Berserker
01-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Kenta Cho (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html)

Kenta Cho is this japanese guy who makes abstract shooters for the PC, and releases them for free. They're all interesting in their own way, but of these I highly recommend Torus Trooper (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tt_e.html). Honorable mention goes to TUMIKI Fighters (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tf_e.html) for an awesome concept, and apparently Majesco has announced (http://kotaku.com/gaming/go-shmup-yourself/blast-works-build-fuse--destroy-272754.php/) development of a Wii version of the game slated for Q1 of this year, titled Blast Works: Build, Fuse & Destroy.

Xexyz
01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Here's hoping the translation of Castle Shikigami 3 continues the traditions of grace, depth, and deep spiritual meaning that Castle Shikigami 2's translation established.

I wouldn't bet on it. Yes the game is coming to the U.S., but it's being localized by Aksys Games. For those that don't know, Aksys Games is a publishing company founded by ex-Atlus localizers. These guys specialized in translating text-heavy RPG's, and therefore know their stuff. So in summation, you won't be seeing another babelfish translation like you did with XS Games' Castle Shikigami 2 release.

G-Boobie
01-14-2008, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't bet on it. Yes the game is coming to the U.S., but it's being localized by Aksys Games. For those that don't know, Aksys Games is a publishing company founded by ex-Atlus localizers. These guys specialized in translating text-heavy RPG's, and therefore know their stuff. So in summation, you won't be seeing another babelfish translation like you did with XS Games' Castle Shikigami 2 release.

Ah well.... I guess I have enough Engrish in my life right now anyway.

Isn't a Shmup sort of an odd choice for a publisher that specializes in text heavy RPG's? I somehow doubt the canon of CS 3 is going to be something I care about, regardless of localization quality...

Icarus Moonsight
01-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I hope more shmups are done for WiiWare. Drastically improves our shot at getting the game in the US since there is little to no production cost that a printed/published game would take. Less financial risk of DLC could very well help us shooter nuts out this gen. :D

Gabriel
01-16-2008, 10:53 AM

A shame. That was 90% of that game's charm.

Icarus Moonsight
01-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Personally, playing "I'm not touching you!" with the bullets for multiplier had quite a charm to it. I'll miss the hack translation though.

Ze_ro
01-17-2008, 01:53 AM
Kenta Cho (http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html)
Seconded! Torus Trooper is quite a rush, though most of his other games are somewhat derivative... rRootage even lets you choose to play the game in Ikaruga, Psyvariar, or Giga Wing mode! All his stuff ends up being amazing though, so it's hard to criticize.

If you like Kenta Cho's stuff, you might also want to look into "Hello World Project"... they make similarly abstract shooters. This is the best english page I could find (http://shootthecore.moonpod.com/database.php?company=Hello+World+Project). I've only tried Area 2048 and Z-Lock so far, but I thought they were both excellent.

--Zero