PDA

View Full Version : Tetris DS - Why can't I find it?

kaedesdisciple
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
What on earth would possess a company to STOP producing Tetris DS? With the amount of DS units that are sold every day combined with the fact that everyone and their mother loves Tetris, this makes no sense. Needless to say, I am complaining because now that I need a copy (going to get my father one), there are no copies to be had save for jacked-up ebay prices and what I am sure are Chinese bootlegs. Where can I find this game for a reasonable price?

joedick
01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
That's weird that they aren't making it any more. They probably no longer have the licence for it.

Coldguy
01-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I've been looking in several stores and malls and this game is always something that is missing, I can't even tell you how hard it was to find mario kart, MARIO KART!

ssjlance
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Maybe they're just selling really quickly. It's right after Christmas, come on. Give it some time nd they should be back in the local Wal-Mart/Gamestop.

Streetball 21
01-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I havent seen a copy of this anywhere, at least brand new I havent. Im glad I bought it when it came out. It pretty cool playing online with wi-fi.

snes_collector
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Nintendo is notorious for stopping print on handheld games after only short amount of time. That's why you see jacked up prices for games like Tetris & Advance Wars DS.

8-bitNesMan
01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Nintendo is notorious for stopping print on handheld games after only short amount of time. That's why you see jacked up prices for games like Tetris & Advance Wars DS.

It's been my experience that it's not just handheld titles...

sisko
01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I haven't seen a copy in over a year anywhere but Best Buy, who usually has an abundance. Have you tried checking there?

otaku
01-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Found a copy of this and advance wars at work (tetris was 20 and advance wars was 10) kmart is the place to go for hard to find titles (cause we don't sell much) and or for clearance specials

PapaStu
01-08-2008, 10:23 PM
It's been hard to find for a long time. I went on a major hunt when i was still in Chicago (so last spring) and it took me over a month before I found a TRU that had some. The game got a single run and Nintendo doesn't normally re-print their games, however their print runs tend to be on the bigger side most of the time, but once its gone, NO one has them.

joshnickerson
01-08-2008, 10:28 PM
kaedesdisciple, I think I remember seeing a copy or two at my Best Buy too...

I think it is kind of odd that Nintendo would just stop production on one of their most popular DS titles (and surely it's still a big hit on Wifi too). Makes me wonder if a DS Player Choice series might finally be coming our way.... nahhhh....

Kitsune Sniper
01-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Considering the GBA only had like three or four Player's Choice games, I doubt it.

boatofcar
01-09-2008, 04:14 AM
Considering the GBA only had like three or four Player's Choice games, I doubt it.

Perhaps it was because GBA games were relatively cheap to begin with. I dunno, it doesn't make sense to me either.

Gapporin
01-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Found a copy of this and advance wars at work (tetris was 20 and advance wars was 10) kmart is the place to go for hard to find titles (cause we don't sell much) and or for clearance specials

QFT. When I was trying to find a harder-to-find (at the time) DS title, no other store had carried it still besides K-Mart, and they had 3 copies. They also had a large wall of just about every DS game you could think of. The OP is right, K-Mart isn't usually the first place you think of when you want video games/electronics, so hardly any of their stock gets bought. Of course, with anything regional or local, YMMV.

jb143
01-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I saw it at K-Mart last week I believe.

zemmix
01-09-2008, 06:48 PM
This is not Tetris related but I was really surprised how hard it was to fine Super Princess Peach. The wife wanted it and I thought it would be easy to get but no one had it. Finally found one at a target 20 miles away. Sheesh!

RegSNES
01-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Wow, I didn't know Nintendo stopped production of Tetris DS. Like someone already mentioned, maybe they don't have the license to it anymore. Now that I think about it, the Tetris license does seem to get around a lot. Hope you can find a copy without having to shell out.

Jorpho
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Despite the coolness of having 10-player simultaneous multiplayer, it is undeniable that there are enough different versions of Tetris out there already.

(And doesn't going online with a Nintendo DS still require an unsecured wireless network?)

kaedesdisciple
01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey, if anyone sees a couple of copies in their local area, please let me know. I'd like one for me and one for my dad. Thanks.

ProgrammingAce
01-10-2008, 12:18 AM
That's weird that they aren't making it any more. They probably no longer have the licence for it.

I seem to recall that tetris was being put out when it was due to a licensing agreement running out. It's possible that they're not legally able to duplicate more copies anymore...

boatofcar
01-10-2008, 12:28 AM
Despite the coolness of having 10-player simultaneous multiplayer, it is undeniable that there are enough different versions of Tetris out there already.

(And doesn't going online with a Nintendo DS still require an unsecured wireless network?)

Tetris DS is the best version of Tetris ever, imo. I can understand why some people are upset despite there being umpteen versions of the game on all kinds of platforms.

MrRoboto19XX
01-10-2008, 01:04 AM

Not entirely, while you can use any "open" networks, you can use secure ones as well, you just need the password, WEP key, or whatever the kids are using these days.

Tetris DS is the best version of Tetris ever, imo. I can understand why some people are upset despite there being umpteen versions of the game on all kinds of platforms.

This version is better as a package, but my vote for best version of the single player experience goes to the original Game Boy version. The music and controls just seem so perfect.

Plus, there's something about the way that soundtrack sounds on that tiny GB speaker.

boatofcar
01-10-2008, 01:46 AM
This version is better as a package, but my vote for best version of the single player experience goes to the original Game Boy version. The music and controls just seem so perfect.

No hold. No quick drop. The Game Boy version has nostalgic charm and nice music, but in every other respect the DS version is better, IMO.

Mayhem
01-10-2008, 07:23 AM
There should be NO infinite spin in Tetris... one thing I disliked they introduced.

Jorpho
01-10-2008, 09:22 AM
No hold. No quick drop.

Never much cared for quick drop. In fact, I wish there were more versions of Tetris that employed the smooth dropping of the old GB version; it seems to be largely unique in that respect.

And holding just feels like cheating.

kaedesdisciple
01-10-2008, 01:56 PM
After a trip to the Nintendo World Store (went to buy a DS and some accessories for my dad), the very nice reps there told me they haven't seen a copy in that store for months. There's gotta be a copy in this city somewhere...

Hawksmoor
01-10-2008, 03:22 PM
After a trip to the Nintendo World Store (went to buy a DS and some accessories for my dad), the very nice reps there told me they haven't seen a copy in that store for months. There's gotta be a copy in this city somewhere...

I'll keep an eye out for you here in Atlanta. Do you only want a brand new/sealed copy, or will a mint and complete used one suffice? On a related note, I can't find Warioware Touched! anywhere, new or used. I'm guessing it's been discontinued like Tetris DS apparently has. Good luck if you keep looking, and if you still come up empty I hope someone else can come through for you.

mailman187666
01-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I have a K-mart with old titles laying around. They still have some GBA games there too. I will look there for you either tomorrow or next week and see if I can find a copy or two.

edit: I just checked e-bay and I had no idea it was that high.

sirhansirhan
01-10-2008, 08:59 PM
I had been meaning to buy this game since it came out, but it isn't really high priority, so I hadn't gotten it until now. After reading this thread, I figured I'd check gamestop.com to see what stores had it locally and buy a copy with the 20% off DS games coupon that's out right now. Only one store in a 50-mile radius had it (and there's probably two dozen stores in that radius), and when I got there, they didn't actually have it. Poop.

I guess I shouldn't have hesitated in the first place. Oh well. This has to be common enough that I'll stumble across a used one for $20 or so if I'm patient.

kaedesdisciple
01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
I'll keep an eye out for you here in Atlanta. Do you only want a brand new/sealed copy, or will a mint and complete used one suffice? On a related note, I can't find Warioware Touched! anywhere, new or used. I'm guessing it's been discontinued like Tetris DS apparently has. Good luck if you keep looking, and if you still come up empty I hope someone else can come through for you.

Thanks for looking out. Either new or complete and minty for a reasonable price would make me happy. Call me crazy, but I am not paying $60 for Tetris. If I see a copy of Touched in my travels I'll pick it up for you.

Mailman, thanks for looking out there too. I appreciate the help and I know my dad will appreciate it as Tetris is like his favorite game, um, ever.

darkhades
01-10-2008, 09:49 PM
I read this thread yesterday and made a note to look for this game when I went to Walmart today. They have 4 copies for $34. I might go back and buy it, but I wanna check my local Zellers and EB stores first to see if they have a better deal.

Jorpho
01-10-2008, 10:04 PM
The (sort of) local Zellers here also has quite a few copies. I will consider trades (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1283170). :D

edit: I just checked e-bay and I had no idea it was that high.

What makes you say that, exactly? There appears to be dozens of copies selling for well under $20. Am I missing something?

MrRoboto19XX
01-11-2008, 01:11 AM
What makes you say that, exactly? There appears to be dozens of copies selling for well under $20. Am I missing something?

It looks to me like most of those are from Hong Kong, aka pirate city, I wouldn't trust any of those sellers to sell a legit Duck Hunt cart.

Check "Closest First" on sorting options to see the "real" prices if you will.

Frankie_Says_Relax
01-11-2008, 01:27 AM
HOLY CRAP, I had NO idea that pirated DS software had completely flooded the eBay marketplace!

Granted, I haven't ever looked up a DS game on eBay...

Still, I'm amazed that eBay and/or Nintendo aren't shutting those down.

Question - do the pirated games like Tetris actually play correctly via the online Wi-Fi connection?

kaedesdisciple
01-11-2008, 07:26 AM
HOLY CRAP, I had NO idea that pirated DS software had completely flooded the eBay marketplace!

Granted, I haven't ever looked up a DS game on eBay...

Still, I'm amazed that eBay and/or Nintendo aren't shutting those down.

Question - do the pirated games like Tetris actually play correctly via the online Wi-Fi connection?

I was quite shocked myself, although I'm not willing to shell out the ~$30 it would cost to get said pirate cart to my house to see.

Edit, oh no OF COURSE they're not pirate carts, listen to what one of the sellers has to say about it:
"All items we selling are 100% AUTHENTIC, and come with Original box and Instruction booklet. Don't ask me if they are original!"

Very reassuring...

Jorpho
01-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Check "Closest First" on sorting options to see the "real" prices if you will.

Ahh, so that's the trick. Maybe I should try flipping...

Tetris Worlds GBA also seems to be fetching oddly high prices.

dairugger
01-15-2008, 06:45 PM
just stopped at my local gamestop and they had a used copy for 26.99.

skaar
05-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't been bootlegged to hell and back on ebay.

swlovinist
05-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Got lucky and scored a copy at a game shop in Oregon yesterday for $15. They need to reprint this excellent game.

YoshiM
05-02-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been bootlegged to hell and back on ebay.

It is and I got burned on one.