PDA

View Full Version : SMS bad cart slot

congobongo
04-23-2003, 10:08 PM
So I have an SMS that was working fine then I started getting software errors. The errors only happened with the cart slot not the card. Well now sometimes I don't even get the error I just get a black screen. I could get it to work sometimes by pulling the cart towards me or pushing it away before turning it on. So what's the deal? Did the contacts in the connector get too loose? Is there a solder problem. This is my third dead SMS. I have another working unit that has issues with the PS port I'm thinking that that one is probably easier to fix.

Achika
04-23-2003, 10:16 PM
I had the same problem with a Govellius. I had two carts, and it would only give me a software error on one cart, but not the other. Jiggling it in my case didn't work

FABombjoy
04-24-2003, 03:03 PM
I had that happen to a goodwill SMS that I bought. Cleaning the cartridge port and touching up the solder on the connector fixed it.

congobongo
04-24-2003, 08:51 PM
What's the best way to clean the cart slot?

FABombjoy
04-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I have one of those game system cleaning kits that has several different cleaning 'wands' (for lack of better term). They're plastic, the same thickness as the cartridge connector. The Genesis one fits the SMS slot.

Or, you can get a can of contact cleaner from an electronics store. Radio Shack sells one with a plastic-bristled brush on the end. It's about $10, but the can I have has lasted for years.