PDA

View Full Version : How to paint hardware in a different color?

overengen
04-29-2003, 09:49 AM
I would like to know what you think is the best way to repaint hardware in a different color than the original one. I am not going do destroy any old collectibles, don't worry about that. I just want to paint my new GC controller in a different color. I tried to paint one of my N64 controllers a few years ago in yellow and green, it looked like a bunch of fresh bananas. It was looking good for a while but the paint didn't last very long. Does some one know what kind of material the GC controller is made of. Yes I know it is plastic, but I don't know what kind it is. Are there any paint that should be used to get a good looking result? Are there any paint that I should avoid using because it might damage the controller?

Thank you for reading this message!

PS. What color would you like to use?

/Magnus

dreamcaster
04-29-2003, 10:17 AM
The only thing I've painted was my dodgy NES controller (B-button and plug were screwed) so I didn't care about stuffing up the paint job. I spray painted all the grey plastic gold and it looks great. This was just using standard spraypaint from a hardware store and it seems to have lasted (although I don't use the controller very often.)

chadtower
04-29-2003, 02:19 PM
There was a guy in another section of this forum recently who had painted his NES top half black... looked pretty slick. I'm thinking of doing it myself since mine is badly yellowed.

Here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11157&highlight=nes+paint

DogP
04-30-2003, 07:46 PM
How I usually paint stuff is sand down the plastic with some fine sandpaper (around 400 grit I think), then spray it with primer, then spray the color you want, then some clear. That'll look really nice and shiny, although maybe some people might say that's overkill for a controller :P.

DogP