PDA

View Full Version : Killer Instinct 3 in development!!!!

emceelokey
05-30-2008, 01:54 AM
I just got the new EGM and in the Rumor Mill section the whole half of the page that is pictures is all KI 2 pictures but the article says that right now it is being called Killer Instinct 3D: Death, Destruction, and Doom. It's supposedly now going to be in 3D. It's still very early in development. That's pretty much it for now.

Finally!

DeputyMoniker
05-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Ugh. 3D. Guess I'm not their target audience even though I've wanted this for so many years. I'll give it a shot anyway. Did EGM make any claims regarding the system/arcade platform?

emceelokey
05-30-2008, 06:40 AM
It's definitely for the 360. Nothing was said about an arcade version. I highly doubt that there will be an arcade version for it. This would be a great title to push both the 360 and Xbox Live since it's a Rare game and MS controls Rare.

I'm not too worried about the 2D / 3D as much as I'm concerned with how the combo system will play out. As long as the STARTER - CONNECTOR - FINISHER type of combo system is still in place I would be happy, but think if combos could now branch to each side of your opponent. Just the added dimension can add so much more to the game. Think if you can start a combofrom the front of your opponent, then branch to the left of him, then to the back, then branch to the right then end it up front again.

I want screenshots!!! So I can further speculate.

mailman187666
05-30-2008, 08:32 AM
I've seen some things in the rumor mill before and I wouldn't get too excited just yet. It is a very large possibility but I'm saving myself from dumping in my drawers until I see screenshots.

otaku
05-30-2008, 09:30 AM
these rumor mills (especially EGMS) are far from accurate. It would be cool though

JunkTheMagicDragon
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/26/rare-at-work-on-killer-instinct-3-nope/

long and the short of it, it's just another rare cocktease. the flyer this rumor was based on uses the old KI art, so more than likely it's just a prank for the press.

maybe rare figures with enough false alarms, nobody will know the difference when they are working on KI3 and they can surprise us with it.

CosmicMonkey
05-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Never liked the original Killer Instinct games, and the move to 3D doesn't fill me with confidence. Maybe it'll be 3D characters on a 2D playfield?

However, we should all be thankful we're not getting another stupid versus title. Killer Instinct vs. Powerpuff Girls or the such.

emceelokey
05-31-2008, 03:14 AM
these rumor mills (especially EGMS) are far from accurate. It would be cool though

Usually there's a bit of relevance to the rumors on the rumor mill and they tend to hint at stuff that's more obvious like Bioshock coming to PS3 type of stuff. What's funy is that I have some EGMs from 2003 / 2004 on my desk because my face is in one of them and one is a Final Fantasy variant cover that I've been wanting to sell but never got around to it, bu i went to check those rumor mills andthis is what I found.

November 2003

Perfect Dark waits for Halo

" We may be waitin' a little while for a good look at Rare's prequel/sequel/whatchamacalit to it's Nintendo 64 first-person shooter Perfect Dark. Yours truly hears that Microsoft is waiting for Halo 2 hype to pass before unleashing Perfect Dark Zero on an unsuspecting public. But those who've seen it says it's absoutley awesome. Do I believe them? Hmm...well, I did like PD on the 64..."

then two months later

January 2004

Rare cans kart racer

" Sometimes a game just doesn't come together and gets the ax. At least that's what The Q's rumor sleuths sayis the case with Rare's untitled Xbox cart racer, which startedit's life for the Nintendo's GameCube as a Donkey Kong-themed title, only to change to a Sabreman theme once Microsoft boughtthe developer. (Sabreman is a characterfrom Sabre Wulf, an old Rare computer game and not -yet-released GBA revival.)

So technically they were right on both accounts eventhough PDZ was held for 3 years. Rare seems to be a regular when it comes to the rumor mill but what really gets my hoipes up is that they did a hands on preview for the new Banjo-Kazooie game and apparantly they went to Rare's headquarters in England because they have pictures of the office in little inset on the preview of the game. So it's very plausable that they got a little peep of that "early development". I'm still keeping my hopes low but I'm getting a little more excited than I usually would from a KI rumor.

I think Rare will be hitting their stride again. I think they're finally not working on trying to convert games that they were working on for different platforms. Kameo, Conker, and PDZ were all started for another system in some way or another. Ghoulies was a rush job but Viva Pinata as something that they were able to focus on working on for one system and that turned out decent. The new Banjo actually seems pretty cool. Viva 2 is coming out as well and I would think that it makes sense to both go with another genre of game as well as use some of their already established ips for their next game after those two. So hopefully they'll make a new KI.

DreamTR
05-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Ki2 was horrendous. I hope this one ends up being better.

Kitsune Sniper
05-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Newsflash: KI stopped being relevant ten years ago!

A crap series gets a crap sequel!

Nobody gives a fuck anymore!

Sothy
05-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Unless all the characters wear fur suits then it would be sweet.

KoopaBro
05-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I always felt that killer instinct was a 3rd rate fighter, no offense to the fans.

GarrettCRW
05-31-2008, 07:12 PM
As we say in the 'bender:

Pics or STFU.

Garry Silljo
05-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Never liked the original Killer Instinct games, and the move to 3D doesn't fill me with confidence. Maybe it'll be 3D characters on a 2D playfield?

However, we should all be thankful we're not getting another stupid versus title. Killer Instinct vs. Powerpuff Girls or the such.

I thought they only did this with Comic franchises. KI vs, Archie .... Yes, I'd by that.

Kitsune Sniper
05-31-2008, 10:16 PM
Unless all the characters wear fur suits then it would be sweet.

An army of Sabrewulfs couldn't save this title. :P

DreamTR
05-31-2008, 10:20 PM
KI the original was actually very good. A lot of people just did not understand how the combo breaker system worked (for special moves, button to the left of the button that your opponent last pressed in the combo, so you need to know the combos well just to be able to break them.

It has glitches and issues, but most fighting games did anyway. It definitely was ahead of its time, though.

Daft Punk
06-02-2008, 06:59 AM
c-c-c-combo breaker!

They should do it in Street fighter 4's 3d look then it would be ok but not full 3d.

mailman187666
06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
I actually enjoyed all the Killer Instinct games for both arcade and SNES. Obviously I thought arcade was better. Once you get used to doing the combos and how the controls work, it gets pretty fun. I thought that the fatalities could have been a tiny bit more gruesome for its time. The ultra Combos and all that stuff was very satisfying to pull off at the end of the match. Now if they do make a new KI game, we always have to be careful of getting excited, because they could make a new one, but it could turn out to just seem like a generic fighter