PDA

View Full Version : Do you still use a PS2 and/or Xbox to play DVDs?

DigitalSpace
05-30-2008, 05:03 AM
My PS2 is still my primary DVD player. What about you? Is your PS2 or Xbox the only DVD player you own? And for those who have other options, do you prefer to use a PS2 or Xbox to play DVDs in say, a bedroom, rec room, etc?

Oobgarm
05-30-2008, 05:22 AM
My PS2 is still my primary DVD player. What about you?

Hey, me too.

josekortez
05-30-2008, 06:51 AM
I used my Xbox for a long time. Now, I barely have space for it, so I use the PS2, although the remote sucks. My main complaint with both is that I can't use either system to play the few VCDs I own.

incubus421
05-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Hey, me too.

silver slimline...same

mnbren05
05-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Still use my ps2 in my parents bonus room to play my movies. I would use my orig. xbox in my room, but I no longer have it so I just use a standard dvd player.

Cornelius
05-30-2008, 07:41 AM
No, I've never used a PS2 or xBox for playing movies. For a long time I had a nice DVD player/HD tuner unit that I used until the drive gave out. That was about the time that I got a quiet HTPC, so I switched to using that. Now I have a PS3, and it seems to do a better job and is just a bit easier to use.

namzep
05-30-2008, 08:02 AM
I do use my PS3 (like Cornelius) but I can't remember ever using any of my gaming systems before to watch movies on. Always had a dedicated player (or players) that did a better job and came with remotes. :)

klausien
05-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Like most, my PS2 was my first DVD player back in college. I used it for everything. It started giving me DRE's right before they released the slim, so I was able to get a new fatty before they disappeared from stores.

After getting the new one, I installed a DMS4. I want to conserve the drive, so I only play games on it now. I look at it this way: Losing my chipped PS2 would probably set me back close to $200. A cheap DVD player is $30. I will use the cheap player for my movie watching. I don't have an HDTV anyway.

Xian042
05-30-2008, 08:38 AM
I use a PS2 in my living room and an Xbox in my bedroom to watch DVD's. The PS2 picture seems to be really dark, I was thinking about getting a dedicated player.

Videogamerdaryll
05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Actually I keep forgetting that they play DVDs too...I have several DVD players hooked up throughout the house where these systems are too ..and I don't really need to have the DVD players in the same places..

My Son still hasn't got used to playing DVDs on a game console..He'll still use the DVD player

With that: I've been looking to put a DVD player next to my computer/TV ..I'd be better off just getting another PS2..atleast then I can use it for games too..

TheDomesticInstitution
05-30-2008, 09:26 AM
When I got my 1st HDTV I hooked up my Xbox to it because it was progressive scan. Not only was the picture quite a bit softer than my good old Pioneer dedicated player, the contrast was really lacking too. So I hooked the interlaced Pioneer back up (purchased in 1999), and it looked a lot better. I used the Pioneer until I got an HD-DVD player last year, which looks great on my TV. Although now we use our PS3 as our main DVD and Blu-Ray player downstairs.

I don't know, maybe the PS2 was a better quality DVD player than the XBOX. But I didn't get a PS2 until last year, so I never used it as a DVD player.

Kevin H
05-30-2008, 09:35 AM
We use the ps2 as a dvd player for my daughter in the van.

PapaStu
05-30-2008, 09:48 AM
When I had the original XBox out I used it or the PS2... whatever we felt like at the time, but when that was replaced by the 360 the PS2 Slim became the DVD player cause I didn't feel like buying another DVD remote.

We see no point in buying a separate stand alone DVD player when i've got what equates to 3 of them in the TV stand at the moment. Nuts to that.

CosmicMonkey
05-30-2008, 09:53 AM
I have a Playstation 3 in the front room, which I solely use as a media centre to play Blu Rays or DVDs and stream video files over the network.

There's an Xbox in the kid's room running XBMC that's connected to the network so they can watch video files or that damn Postman Pat DVD. Again. For the 1765th bloody time.

JunkTheMagicDragon
05-30-2008, 09:56 AM
i used to use my ps2 and xbox for dvds, but the extra wear has definitely gotten to them. my xbox now gives intermittent dre's or just random hangups when playing a dvd (you can hear the drive spinning up and down). my ps2 was my primary player, but a few weeks ago the drive motor stopped spinning, so there goes my ps2.

$30 dvd players for me from now on.

PentiumMMX
05-30-2008, 09:59 AM
I used my sister's PS2 to watch a DVD once, and my parents used it for a while when their DVD player died on them. However, we have stand-alone DVD players, so they aren't needed for anything other than games (I plan on getting the remote for my Xbox, though).

MrSparkle
05-30-2008, 01:17 PM
my ps2 doesnt like to read dvds, even though the games are on dvd media and it plays those fine. When trying to play dvds it skips like hell and leaves a nice ring patern on the bottom of the dvd :X.

bangtango
05-30-2008, 01:28 PM
This is probably a misconception but what the hell? It wouldn't be the first time I've embarrassed myself around here.

I've always assumed every dvd you play on a PS2 or XBox shortens the life of the system little by little, along the lines of what you see in JunktheMagicDragon's post.

If that is true, I prefer not to go out of my way putting extra wear and tear on my gaming consoles by running all of my dvd's through them. Say I am in a pinch and need a dvd player to take to a friend's house, I'll pack up the PS2 and roll. But doing it at home when I already have a good dvd player? Nah.

wufners
05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
The Xbox is my secondary dvd player and is setup in my bedroom. It's time for retirement though. It's obnoxiously loud and rarely can read a disk on first try. It's served me well, but now it's frustrating.

It's a Philips drive, by the way, if anyone cares about such things.

Lady Jaye
05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Not me. I have 2 standalone DVD players (one that can play CD-g and DivX formats and one that's actuially a VCR-DVD player combo) and I also have my iMac (which is slightly bigger than my TV and closer to widescreen, so a better choice for watching widescreen movies).

namzep
05-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Now that I think about it I have about 10 or so things that can play dvds:

2 PCs with DVD-R drives
Oppo standalone Player (plays pretty much any file format you can throw at it)
Emerson standalone
Panasonic standalone (though this is getting quite ancient and is starting to have issues playing stuff)
Panasonic A3 HD-DVD player
PS3
PS2
XBox

Xizer
05-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Yes.

I store all my DVDs on my hard drive and stream them over my network to my Xbox equipped with Xbox Media Center.

xfrumx
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
never

i don't wanna wear out the lasers and get DRE's

I would rather have a cheap DVD player just got a nice HD upconvert w/ dvd recorder Toshiba for $30 from k-mart on the open box section!

jdc
05-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I use my PS3 or PC in the gaming room, and dedicated DVD players on the other 2 floors of the house.

Push Upstairs
05-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I had two DVD players before I even got an XBOX and I have used those. My Sony player (circa 1999) and a region free player that I'm using now (because I left the Sony at my parents house).

I'm also too cheap to but the DVD remote for the XBOX.

Harkunan
05-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes but I also play mostly VCD's on my Saturn ROFL

zektor
05-30-2008, 11:05 PM
My PS2 is there and hooked up to the TV, so why not use it to play movies. I use it often actually...original model and works great.

exit
05-30-2008, 11:15 PM
My standalone DVD player got to the "takes 10 minutes to work" point right before I picked up a PS2. Ironically enough, my PS2 became very selective on what DVDs it would play right before I got my PS3, which is my primary media player now. So I guess everything happens for a reason.

norkusa
05-30-2008, 11:22 PM
I just used my modded PStwo to play a dvd for the first time ever a few months ago. Had it hooked up with component and optical audio cables and it looked like total shit. It was an anamorphic widescreen disc and it was still getting 'stretched' by the PStwo for some reason. Also, the movie had a 5.1 DTS track and I was only getting 2.1 out of it.

It probably wouldn't look so bad if I was on a sdtv, but on hdtv...yuck. The dvd's on my Xbox look great though.

SpaceHarrier
05-30-2008, 11:37 PM
I have a stand-alone DVD player. I do, however, use my PS2 with a bootdisc to play foreign DVD's (those of a japanese region 2 or Korean region 3 origin.

And I always thought the same thing that bangtango mentioned in his post -- thus everytime I play a DVD on my PS2 I'm thinking to myself, "There goes a little more of its lifespan!!" Even if it dies now though, I'm satisfied with its longevity: nearly 7 years of constant use. My japanese PS2 on the other hand ... :/ (I have to repeatedly open and close the lid to get it to read a disc and I've barely logged MAYBE 10-15 hours on the system since I bought it 3 years ago.)

Gosh maybe NOT using the system kills it.

josekortez
05-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Yes but I also play mostly VCD's on my Saturn ROFL

Yeah, if those darned VCD add-ons for the Dreamcast and Saturn didn't cost so much, I'd be right up there with you. But someday I will watch that copy of Enemy at the Gates on VCD I found at the thrift.

bangtango
05-31-2008, 06:59 AM
Yeah, if those darned VCD add-ons for the Dreamcast and Saturn didn't cost so much, I'd be right up there with you. But someday I will watch that copy of Enemy at the Gates on VCD I found at the thrift.

I know for a fact there are plain old dvd players which do play VCD's. I used to own one myself before giving it to an in-law. I'm sure you can find one somewhere by looking around.

Poofta!
06-01-2008, 05:00 PM
lol hell no, in fact i dont believe i ever have.

i had a divx/xvid player for hte longest time, now that i can stream those files through the 360, i gave my player to my friend and play regular dvds on my toshibad A30 (AMAZING upconversion!!!)

Cryomancer
06-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I am not a fan of doing so. When i watch something on the 360 I prefer to use the HD drive for it as i'd rather not throw extra wear on the gaming drive out of paranoia (especially since i already had to send it in once due to drive problems).

And i sure as hell won't use my game wave to watch a movie!!11 but i WILL use my laseractive once in awhile to watch an LD.

Chuplayer
06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I've got a long DVD player history.

I started off with my first DVD player. It ruled.

I then got an XBOX and later on got the DVD player kit and gave the first DVD player to my parents. I used that for years, and it was good.

I then got a cheapo DVD player for some reason. That wore out before too long.

I took back my first DVD player because I no longer had my XBOX. Traded it in while the getting was good (85 bucks) before the 360 came out.

Just a couple months ago my first DVD player crapped out, so now I use my PS3 to watch DVDs and blu-ray movies as well as play the occasional PS3 game and a bunch of PS2 games. I still have the first one hooked up, though. It's huge, and my NES rests on top of it.