PDA

View Full Version : dualshock 3 vs sixaxis

deltoidsteep
05-31-2008, 08:40 PM
In an unfortunate accident my sixaxis was stepped on by a friend. the only real damage was that the r2 button came off. now i managed to get it back in place but it feels rather squishy and doesnt always register when i press it. so i was wondering, should i get a dualshock 3? i havent had the chance to try one out yet. is it worth the 60 dollars after tax? does the rumble make it better? is it any sturdier than the sixaxis? no matter how careful i am, there is the possibilty that something of the sort may happen again, so i dont really want to spend that much money on a controller that is potentially as flimsy as its predecessor.

diskoboy
05-31-2008, 08:53 PM
I stepped on mine about 2 weeks ago, on a 3am journey to the bathroom, in complete darkness, and bought a DS3

I actually like the plain sixaxis, better, even thought there's no vibration... It's so much lighter.

Sudo
05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Whether or not the rumble makes it "better" (it does to me) is up to you, but it does feel heavier and more solid.

Ikari Warrior
05-31-2008, 11:00 PM
For me the added weight was the best new effect of the DS3, it just feels more substantial in you hand, that and the rumble just make you feel more connected to the game.

retroman
05-31-2008, 11:38 PM
i got mine with gta4, and i do like it better because it has more weight to it, and the rumble. Just think of it as a sixaxis with rumble.

Frankie_Says_Relax
05-31-2008, 11:56 PM
While there is a difference in weight between controllers, it's actually rather miniscule (i told my roomate to close his eyes and tell me which controller was heavier and he couldn't do it.) ...

... what most people feel when they pick up a Dual Shock 3 vs. a Sixaxis is a difference in BALANCE.

The motors in the shafts of the controller drop a tiny bit of weight forward (potentially the only difference in weight between the SA and the DS3) making it more balanced front-to-back.

I prefer the Dual Shock overall, as rumble will always rock (no pun intended).

BHvrd
06-01-2008, 12:10 AM
The rumble of games like Pain and Heavenly Sword are really worth it.

They have gotten the rumble down to precision and light hits feel light and heavy feel heavy, more so than with the old dualshocks.

Dunno about stepping on it, haven't tried that.

G-Boobie
06-01-2008, 12:34 AM
The DS3 is pretty great, but if rumble isn't a huge deal to you, you can pick up a Sixaxis on Amazon or Target for forty bucks or less. (http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Wireless-Sixaxis-Controller/dp/B000K1CS5Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1212298389&sr=8-1)

Personally, I like the weight and balance of the Dualshock 3 and think it's worth the extra cash.

deltoidsteep
06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
thanks for all the opinions. i ended up getting one after all, and you guys were right, it was worth it.