PDA

View Full Version : The PS2 start up screen, was it ever explained?

Scott45
05-31-2008, 09:44 PM
all those transparent cubes and pillars as you turn on the PS2, was there ever an explaination of why they changed over time and what caused the change?

Scott45

Press_Start
05-31-2008, 09:54 PM
Checked around and apparently the cubes represent the amount of save files on your memory card.

If you start with a blank memory card (or no card), then you won't see the white squares as its doesn't read any save files. However, the same thing happens with a PS1 memory cards as it scans for files pertaining to PS2 games.

Gapporin
05-31-2008, 09:55 PM
It's tied to how many save games are on your PS2 card. PS2 saves are solid filled squares while PS1 saves are clear, transparent squares. I believe (though I'm not certain) that if you start up a game without a memory card inserted, the screen is just blank (save for the "Sony Entertainment..." text, of course).

EDIT: D'oh, beaten to the punch!

PapaStu
05-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Kinda sorta....

It more had to do with the amount of time that card was in and had been running in a PS2. Taking the cards out while the system was running and switching things about had a good chance of wiping out all the blocks one had built up over time. Happened to me numerous times. I've got full cards or cards with lots of saves (over a long period of time) where there are few to no blocks due to me pulling the card out while the system was running.

DefaultGen
05-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Jeez I guess I don't play PS2 enough cause I have no idea what you're talking about.

G-Boobie
06-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Jeez I guess I don't play PS2 enough cause I have no idea what you're talking about.

When you boot the PS2, before your game disc boots, you get that weird descending noise and a view of rotating blocks and stuff. That's all.