PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Question

MadTitan
06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
My xbox 360 got the red ring of death last week. I contacted Microsoft and they mailed me a box to send it out in. I got the box in today and tried the system again before packing it up and now it works fine. Should I still send the system to them or will they just return it to me since it is working fine? I haven't tried playing anything on it but it starts up normally.

carlcarlson
06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Send it in. The worst they could do is send it back, but more than likely they'll send a new one. If it red-ringed once it will do it again.

Cantaloup
06-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Send it. From what other people have said about their experiences, the RRoD may start out occurring intermittently, but it will happen more and more frequently as time goes on. Eventually it will get to the point where you won't be able to use the system at all.

Caius11
06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Same exact thing happened to me. I sent it in anyways. Got a new one in the mail a week later, no questions asked. Send it.

ProgrammingAce
06-02-2008, 05:58 PM
The system logs the errors, they'll know it actually RRoD'd

moycon
06-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Ive sent back five 360s for various reasons. I always include notes regarding the issues in with the unit. Couldn't hurt. I'm thinking these days they have a set procedure they do (parts to replace) for RRoD. Unlike earlier times, now you usually get the same unit back in working order as opposed to another refurb unit.

heybtbm
06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Your 360 "works" again because the solder (attaching the chips to the motherboard) solidified. The RRoD was caused by heat inside your 360 melting the solder, causing the chip to shift. After the 360 is turned off for awhile, the temperature goes back to ambient conditions and the solder solidifies the chip back to the board. This temporarily "fixes" the RRoD issue...until your 360 heats up again after a few hours and melts the solder, continuing the RRoD cycle.

In short...send it in.

s1lence
06-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Send it in, simple as that.

Like Progace said, it logs what happened.