PDA

View Full Version : Any chance XBLA games will get cheaper soon?

c0ldb33r
06-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I've got some XBLA points I want to spend, but there are a few games that are more expensive than I would like (i.e. they're 800 points which I feel is too much, but would be comfortable with 400).

Is there any reason to believe there will be a price reduction on any XBLA games in the near future?

Blitzwing256
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
nope, they make enough money at those prices, also see the outragous prices for the wii downloadable games, they'll always be that expensive as most people don't mind paying that much for em, (at least with xbox you're getting more then just moderatly well emulated romz)

carlcarlson
06-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Yeah, there's no reason for them to go down. It's possible they'll do a sale at some point for certain games as a kind of promotion or something, but a universal drop is not going to happen.

What I would love is for some of them to be released in physical form, namely Puzzle Quest. I don't like the DRM restrictions, and I can't stand paying money for data if I don't have to. I know there are other versions of this, but I'd love to use the Live capabilities of the 360 version. Doubt it will happen, but here's hoping...

modest9797
06-03-2008, 08:10 PM
I belive some games were reduced after the arcade awards or something. I am pretty sure DOOM went from 800 to 400 but I am not sure.

iJohn
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah they do. It becomes and XBLA Hit(or w/e they are called). For example, Assault Heroes became only 400 points.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Considering that Penny Arcade was one of the best selling XBLA games of 2008 (if not the best so far) ... and it has the high price tag of $20 ...

... I doubt it.

A huge of a P.A. fan as I am, I'm going to wait for episode 2 and see if they run a sale on the first or a bundle of both to buy that one.

heybtbm
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm waiting for Puzzle Quest to go down from 1200 ($15). I've been close to buying it so many times it's not even funny.

carlcarlson
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm waiting for Puzzle Quest to go down from 1200 ($15). I've been close to buying it so many times it's not even funny.

Yeah, it's the first game I've actually considered buying. I got the demo last night and I'm hooked. Puzzle game? Yes please. RPG? Hell yes!

DKTheArcadeRat
06-03-2008, 09:27 PM
I want to buy the Penny Arcade game...but 20 is too much for me to spend on a non-physical copy of a game.

bcombee
06-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Too bad you didn't get on the Target 1600 point card deal last week -- they were selling them for $15, giving you a 25% discount on buying MS points. I picked up four cards on the Sunday morning they went on sale.

gepeto
06-04-2008, 06:46 AM
I don't mind supporting the developers in some instances. Like I loved assault heroes. Others I think is gouging but they do drop prices. Like doom and assault dropped to 400. both I thought were a steal at that price.

Captain Wrong
06-04-2008, 10:05 AM
What I would love is for some of them to be released in physical form, namely Puzzle Quest. I don't like the DRM restrictions, and I can't stand paying money for data if I don't have to.

Devil's Advocate: Which of the consoles uses physical media sans DRM? Yes, you can take your disc to your buddy's house, but (IIRC) you can also log into his 360 and play a game you've downloaded.

And when you buy a game, you're really paying for the data anyway. The disc is just the container, same as buying a soda, you're buying the liquid inside the bottle and the bottle is just the container.

The only thing I don't like about the DLC games is what we're talking about here. Prices tend not to go down. Not having physical media suits me fine. I'm over being a collector. But, I also rarely buy full priced games. There are a lot of Live games I'd buy at half (or ever 75%) what they are now, but, to me, they're not worth the $10 they're asking.

c0ldb33r
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
The only thing I don't like about the DLC games is what we're talking about here. Prices tend not to go down. Not having physical media suits me fine. I'm over being a collector. But, I also rarely buy full priced games. There are a lot of Live games I'd buy at half (or ever 75%) what they are now, but, to me, they're not worth the $10 they're asking.
Amen. I'll usually only ever buy clearance/used games and that's never an option with DLC :(

djbeatmongrel
06-04-2008, 12:36 PM
nope, they make enough money at those prices, also see the outragous prices for the wii downloadable games, they'll always be that expensive as most people don't mind paying that much for em, (at least with xbox you're getting more then just moderatly well emulated romz)

although i have nothing to contribute to this thread as i dont have a 360 but was curious on about what was being discussed i do feel the need to point out that the wii now has a thing called wiiware. these are not the romz you speak

Cantaloup
06-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Regarding a Puzzle Quest price drop:

I don't know if there will be a price drop, but if there is it could possibly occur when either the expansion "Revenge of the Plague Lord" or the new "Puzzle Quest: Galatrix" is released.

Regarding LIVE points on sale:

Next week (6/8 -- 6/14) Circuit City is supposed to have 1600 LIVE points cards on sale for $14.99. I believe this offer will also be available on-line at circuitcity.com.

carlcarlson
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Devil's Advocate: Which of the consoles uses physical media sans DRM? Yes, you can take your disc to your buddy's house, but (IIRC) you can also log into his 360 and play a game you've downloaded.

And when you buy a game, you're really paying for the data anyway. The disc is just the container, same as buying a soda, you're buying the liquid inside the bottle and the bottle is just the container.

I see what you're saying, but I still don't like it. First off I should note that I've never actually purchased any DLC so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but from my understanding a lot of the games require you to be logged on to Live to even play. That's a problem for me as I have to switch my internet between my computer and my 360. Also, I buy/sell 360s and am constantly upgrading my equipment with whatever comes in, so it's very possible that any DLC I had would have to be sold with something that I'm replacing (like a 120 gb hdd).

And yeah, I'm already buying data but the physicality is what is important to me. I don't care that's it's still 1s and 0s, it's on a physical container as you put it, so I can always hold on to it.

Blitzwing256
06-05-2008, 11:30 AM
although i have nothing to contribute to this thread as i dont have a 360 but was curious on about what was being discussed i do feel the need to point out that the wii now has a thing called wiiware. these are not the romz you speak

yup, and I am keeping an eye on wiiware for anything interesting (the pokemon ranch idea sounds interesting at least)

Cantaloup
07-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Just to let you guys know: I read over on Cheap Ass Gamer that Puzzle Quest for XBLA is dropping to 800 points on 7/16.

robotriot
07-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Just to let you guys know: I read over on Cheap Ass Gamer that Puzzle Quest for XBLA is dropping to 800 points on 7/16.

Is there a valid reason for buying the XBLA version if you already own it for DS?

s1lence
07-12-2008, 08:51 AM
Is there a valid reason for buying the XBLA version if you already own it for DS?

If you already have it on another system then I'm going to say no. Unless you are into achievement points.

Cmosfm
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
Amen. I'll usually only ever buy clearance/used games and that's never an option with DLC :(

Not necessarily, you just have look harder.

I picked up several Xbox Live 1600 Point Cards on clearance at a closing Movie Gallery for 4 bucks each, I'm still not done spending those points. :)

c0ldb33r
07-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Of course it is, because I just bought it at 1200 points. :mad:

heybtbm
07-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Of course it is, because I just bought it at 1200 points. :mad:

Me too. I should've waited. Oh well, it's an excellent game either way.

Nightwing
07-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah, there's no reason for them to go down. It's possible they'll do a sale at some point for certain games as a kind of promotion or something, but a universal drop is not going to happen.

What I would love is for some of them to be released in physical form, namely Puzzle Quest. I don't like the DRM restrictions, and I can't stand paying money for data if I don't have to. I know there are other versions of this, but I'd love to use the Live capabilities of the 360 version. Doubt it will happen, but here's hoping...

You have heard that they now have a DRM tool that takes care of those problems,yes? They released it in June & it enables you to have everything on one 360,no matter what 360 console you bought the content on.

To stay on topic,XBLA does have a greatest hits area,or something to that effect - I would think that it'll be used more often in the coming months...

Graham Mitchell
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
First off I should note that I've never actually purchased any DLC so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but from my understanding a lot of the games require you to be logged on to Live to even play. That's a problem for me as I have to switch my internet between my computer and my 360. .

That's not true. You only need to log on to utilize multiplayer.

c0ldb33r
07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Me too. I should've waited. Oh well, it's an excellent game either way.
They don't have any type of price guarantee do they?

SegaAges
07-15-2008, 05:00 PM
They don't have any type of price guarantee do they?

Do you honestly think that the big M$ would do that?

c0ldb33r
07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Do you honestly think that the big M$ would do that?
Not really, just hoping is all :)

FrakAttack
07-16-2008, 04:35 AM
First off I should note that I've never actually purchased any DLC so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but from my understanding a lot of the games require you to be logged on to Live to even play. That's a problem for me as I have to switch my internet between my computer and my 360. Also, I buy/sell 360s and am constantly upgrading my equipment with whatever comes in, so it's very possible that any DLC I had would have to be sold with something that I'm replacing (like a 120 gb hdd).

Ownership of downloadable content is tied to both Gamertag and hard drive, to prevent copying, so one won't work without the other. Until recently, any DL'd content that had been transfered to another hard drive had to go online every single time you used it to verify ownership, but they now have a fix that requires a one-time verification only. Thank god.

Leo_A
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Ownership of downloadable content is tied to both Gamertag and hard drive, to prevent copying, so one won't work without the other. Until recently, any DL'd content that had been transfered to another hard drive had to go online every single time you used it to verify ownership, but they now have a fix that requires a one-time verification only. Thank god.

None of that is correct besides there being a fix to now tie your console to replacement hardware so you don't have to be logged in.

Downloadable content is tied to both your gamertag and console, the hard drive has nothing to do with it. And saying "one won't work without the other" is incorrect, since you could always access your content on the console it was purchased on (Or is now tied to) with a account different than your XBL tag you used to purchase it with, or log in with your Xbox Live account to access the content on a system it wasn't tied to.

ProgrammingAce
07-16-2008, 05:06 PM

Woah, not even close... Please try again.

Poofta!
07-16-2008, 11:38 PM

dude trust me get it for the ds. a touchscreen makes the game infinitely better.

c0ldb33r
07-17-2008, 09:01 AM
dude trust me get it for the ds. a touchscreen makes the game infinitely better.
Not that the graphics are great in this game, but the DS version is UGLY. very ugly jewels, and the +5 skulls don't glow :( Also, I found I made more mistakes with the stylus than with the d-pad PSP version.

FrakAttack
07-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Woah, not even close... Please try again.

Ownership of downloadable content is tied to neither Gamertag nor hard drive, but directly to secret computers housed deep beneath the Pentagon, so nothing will work without direct approval from space alien clones masquerading as conservative leaders, operating under direct order of the Illuminati. Until recently, any DL'd content that had been transferred into the 360's reverse-engineered-nanotech-from-the-future hard drive traveled through the controller and directly into the secret microchips implanted in everyone's brain, causing them to crave beer and pork rinds, thus creating a general lethargy in the population and helping to facilitate the second coming of Xenu, Dark Lord of the Universe. Praise Xenu!

*fixed*