PDA

View Full Version : Activision is milking the shit out of Guitar Hero aren't they

Xizer
06-04-2008, 11:20 PM
So it's been about two and a half years since Guitar Hero came out.

Now we've got:

Nov. 2005 - Guitar Hero
Nov. 2006 - Guitar Hero II
July. 2007 - Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s
Oct. 2007 - Guitar Hero III
June 2008 - Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
June 2008 - Guitar Hero: On Tour
Oct. 2008 - Guitar Hero World Tour
Jan. 2009 - Guitar Hero: Metallica

This is getting ridiculous. 8 games in 3 years, and they continue to announce more and more and speed up the pace that they're releasing them. They started out with one a year, one every 6 months, now it's down to one every 4 months, and there's no end in sight.

Seriously Activision, come the fuck on. Give it a rest already. I'm tired of all these fake guitars cluttering up my room. Just slooooow down already and catch your breath.

I guess it's nice that instead of EA having a monopoly on the game market this allows Activision to compete, but even EA only releases one Madden a year.

boatofcar
06-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow, I've never met anyone who was forced to buy a video game just because it was on the shelf. What's that like?

NE146
06-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah it's plain to everyone they're running it to the ground..

I've been a Guitar Hero fan since the first one, but one thing I've come to realize is it's playability is limited for me. Once I pass a song on a certain difficulty, I almost NEVER go back to play it again. The fun for me is in passing and completing the game, not really in re-playing.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Guitar/Rock Band rythm games are the biggest money maker that the industry has seen since I don't know what.

It makes money, hell, it MINTS money as a genre and generally speaking none of them have been below-average titles ... so don't expect them or the milking to go away ... mmmmm guitar milk.

BHvrd
06-04-2008, 11:32 PM
To cut to the chase....yes, it would be nice to have one title that had all the songs or via download without all the dongles, lack of compatibility, etc, etc.

This is why I went Rockband, but yes a definitive Guitar Hero would be nice.

diskoboy
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
I said the exact same thing in the GH4 announcement thread, a while back.

Activision is determined to run this franchise into the ground.

Pantechnicon
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm not into the series at all, yet it did not escape my notice on my last visit to Gamestop that the first three titles were fetching $40 apiece for used copies...at least, that's what Gamestop expected to get for them and probably eventually will.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also imagine the dev process on these isn't quite as intensive or expensive as a GTA-level effort at building a whole virtual city. Odds are good that a lot of the fundamental code in GH is getting recycled from one title to the next, slapped under some new graphics with band-specific motion captures. Milk it while you can, I guess.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-04-2008, 11:45 PM
But, inversely wouldn't it be strange ... wouldn't it be SHOCKING if they announced that they weren't going to make any more Guitar Hero games, or even if they were going to take a few years off before the next one?

Why after 8+ Mario Party games, 9 Tony Hawk games, too many Mega Man games to count, and a hundred other franchises numbering well over FOUR titles does the gaming collective continue to be surprised by acts like this?

The game is a top selling title on all consoles (and soon to be portables with the DS) ... I'm not necessarily agreeing with the hard and fast sequels (I think they should just get a good online version with a Rock Band type store going) but, why wouldn't they "milk" it??

Slate
06-04-2008, 11:49 PM
So it's been about two and a half years since Guitar Hero came out.

Now we've got:

Nov. 2005 - Guitar Hero
Nov. 2006 - Guitar Hero II
July. 2007 - Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80s
Oct. 2007 - Guitar Hero III
June 2008 - Guitar Hero: Aerosmith
June 2008 - Guitar Hero: On Tour
Oct. 2008 - Guitar Hero World Tour
Jan. 2009 - Guitar Hero: Metallica

They started out with one a year, one every 6 months, now it's down to one every 4 months, and there's no end in sight.

Seriously Activision, come on. Give it a rest already. I'm tired of all these fake guitars cluttering up my room. Slow down already and catch your breath.

I guess it's nice that instead of EA having a monopoly on the game market this allows Activision to compete, but even EA only releases one Madden a year.

Guitar Hero: On Tour? What? I haven't even heard of that! Is that a second name for World Tour? Oh, Don't forget Guitar Hero: Art of Noise. I haven't heard anything about it for awhile but it was announced. (I've never heard of Art Of Noise before)

If there was a Guitar hero: Nirvana edition, I'd consider playing it.. Now that Neversoft makes the games (Since GH3) They suck compared to GH1 and GH2.

And yes, If they keep it up you're going to be seeing Guitar Hero games for bands that are hardly known. "Guitar Hero: Guitar Vader" Edition, anyone?

DigitalSpace
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Who didn't see this coming? The GH games are selling like hotcakes, and in the business of video games, hardly anybody calls it quits with a majorly successful franchise while it's still on top, whether someone on a message board likes it or not.

It's really no different from what Konami's been doing with DDR and Karaoke Revolution, GH just generates a lot more noise.

Sudo
06-05-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm so glad I have no interest in music games, since I couldn't afford to buy all the DLC and spinoffs they put out.

jcalder8
06-05-2008, 12:04 AM
I agree with NE146. I love getting through a song but there are only a select few that I actually go back and replay.

I am getting a bit tired of all the different games. I wouldn't mind so much if they were value priced but paying full price for Aerosmith and Metallica just seems nuts.

exit
06-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I never got into Guitar Hero, but I do own a copy of Rockband and one guitar and considerer it superior to Guitar Hero.Then again I prefer playing Bass over Guitar, which would defeat the purpose of owning GH.

djbeatmongrel
06-05-2008, 01:33 AM
Guitar Hero: On Tour? What? I haven't even heard of that!

its the ds version.

Really why the hell does anyone bitch. its just more songs. Really imagine taking all the dlc content and putting it on disc. thats all it is. they may be milking the series but as long as theres songs that they can use I don't see it as a big issue. Besides have any of you whiners look at the releases in Japan for beatmania and ddr? guitar hero is just catching up.

josekortez
06-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Activision is determined to run this franchise into the ground.

Wow. Just like they did to Tony Hawk.

JunkTheMagicDragon
06-05-2008, 06:15 AM
Wow. Just like they did to Tony Hawk.

and guess who's not in charge of tony hawk development anymore.

gepeto
06-05-2008, 06:25 AM
I know what your saying but I am not sure a music related based game can fall into the overdone catagory. I think the dedicated player once beaten the game thirst for new ones or have a wish list of songs. I am not a big gh fan but I really like the encore and I seen a downloadable version of the cars for something either rock band or gh.

I guess it is a choice charge the DL rate which I think it is expensive or get athe game not sure which has more bang for the buck. Lets get money for nothing or bad to the bone or sultans of swing.

Sniderman
06-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Yeah, I wish they'd stop it too.

Also, I sure could do without another:
Madden
Sonic
Mario
Crash Bandicoot
Pac-Man
Donkey Kong
Grand Theft Auto
Halo

etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.foreverforeverforever....

boatofcar
06-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Does anyone understand that without pumping out guaranteed-to-sell franchises publishers can't afford to finance new projects that might fail?

heybtbm
06-05-2008, 08:14 AM
Oh, Don't forget Guitar Hero: Art of Noise. I haven't heard anything about it for awhile but it was announced. (I've never heard of Art Of Noise before)

http://forums.snapstream.com/public_html/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Um...you do realize that was an April Fools joke. Don't you?

Edit: Sure Activision is milking this thing to death, but I'm still buying GH: Metallica on day one. Well, maybe not for $60.

NE146
06-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Then again I prefer playing Bass over Guitar, which would defeat the purpose of owning GH.

Funny you say that because I think one of the most fun songs to actually "re-play" is the Bass part of YYZ in Guitar Hero 2 :)

Flack
06-05-2008, 11:07 AM
I'm probably stating the obvious here, but all the R&D costs are up front, and now they are just banking cash based on their previous investment. This is pretty common. Look at games like GTA3 -- Rockstar released several games using the same engine.

PS2 SingStar 02004-05-21 21 May 2004 2010
PS2 SingStar Party 02004-11-19 19 November 2004 2010
PS2 SingStar Pop 02005-05-13 13 May 2005 02007-04-03 3 April 2007
PS2 SingStar '80s 02005-11-04 4 November 2005 02007-09-18 18 September 2007
PS2 SingStar Rocks! 02006-04-13 13 April 2006 02006-11-14 14 November 2006
PS2 SingStar Anthems 02006-08-04 4 August 2006 2010
PS2 SingStar Legends 02006-10-27 27 October 2006 02008-10-07 7 October 2008
PS2 SingStar Pop Hits 02007-04-27 27 April 2007 2010
PS2 SingStar 90s 02007-08-03 3 August 2007 02008-03-19 19 March 2008
PS2 SingStar Amped 2010 02007-09-18 18 September 2007
PS2 SingStar Rock Ballads 02007-09-21 21 September 2007 2010
PS2 SingStar R&B 02007-10-26 26 October 2007 2010
PS2 SingStar Summer Party 02008-04-25 25 April 2008 2010
PS2 SingStar Girl Power vs Boy Bands Release Date yet to be announced 2010
PS2 SingStar Seduction Release Date yet to be announced 2010
PS3 SingStar 02007-12-07 7 December 2007 02008-05-20 20 May 2008 [7]
PS3 SingStar Vol. 2 02008-06-20 20 June 2008 [8] 2010

...etc.

Pantechnicon
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Yep. The dev's already done so you might as well run it into the ground. In fact I've got two Singstar discs myself and recently discovered that the discs are "hot-swappable". You load up one to run the actual program and then you can exchange the data sets i.e. - other Singstar discs, back and forth all day long.

I don't know if GH has this capability, but it seems theoretically possible if it's the same engine running under all the different discs.

PapaStu
06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Too bad we've only gotten 5 of those SingStars here Stateside, 6 if I count the PS3 release (but I think it's just rehashed from previous releases). I feel real bad for Europeans since they've faced the full brunt of the SingStar craze.

I don't care that they keep releasing more GH's, DDR's RockBands ect., it's just more songs that we get to play, and that I like. I get grumpy when they keep pushing more preferials over and over. My guess is that this next round of 'full' equiptment is all going to be wireless forcing a fresh re-buy by everyone who's got wired gear (ala Rock Band).

Kitsune Sniper
06-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't know if GH has this capability, but it seems theoretically possible if it's the same engine running under all the different discs.

You'd think Activision would allow us to do that, but they don't. That's just plain stupid.

Even Konami used to let us do that with their PS1 Beatmania games. Most were hot-swappable and such... :(

Xizer
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
its the ds version.

Really why the hell does anyone bitch. its just more songs. Really imagine taking all the dlc content and putting it on disc. thats all it is. they may be milking the series but as long as theres songs that they can use I don't see it as a big issue. Besides have any of you whiners look at the releases in Japan for beatmania and ddr? guitar hero is just catching up.

Yeah, you're right. It's not like I buy 'em anyway - I just mod all the songs Activision puts out on these billion Guitar Hero spinoffs into the PC version of Guitar Hero III.

They really fucked up releasing Guitar Hero on the easily moddable PC, muhahaha.

Superman
06-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Activision is a business and making money is the game.

If a little is good, a lot is better is the status quo for many companies.

mEgAsHoT
06-07-2008, 11:06 PM
*sigh* You people complain about Activision "milking" stuff like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk, when other companies have done it frequently without any complaints. The hundreds of games that have the Mario name attached to it, Dance Dance Revolution, Singstar, and Grand Theft Auto names all have subsequent entries that run on almost the same engine. And is that "milking"? The only reason why people call this "milking" is because they are actually making money off of it, and people attribute Activison with sequels with less effort on each one. Seriously, EA milks the Madden series every year by recycling the previous game and adding some minute new feature and calling it Madden NFL whatever. I honestly wouldn't mind having more choices in terms of Guitar Hero games, and I prefer buying stuff that's on a disc. If my system's hard drive goes splat, then there's no way to play it at my friend's house for example if all I have is DLC songs. If they are making a good amount of money selling new installments of a franchise, I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like how Activision is making money, don't buy their games. It's that simple.

NE146
06-07-2008, 11:57 PM
*sigh* You people complain about Activision "milking" stuff like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk, when other companies have done it frequently without any complaints. The hundreds of games that have the Mario name attached to it, Dance Dance Revolution, Singstar, and Grand Theft Auto names all have subsequent entries that run on almost the same engine. And is that "milking"? The only reason why people call this "milking" is because they are actually making money off of it,

Actually I think it's less to do with the quantity of titles, but rather the speed and close proximity in which these titles are coming out. It's almost Megamanish LOL

Tommy
06-08-2008, 05:04 AM
Has anyone ever tried Frequency or Amplitude made by the same people who produced GH? Those are also fun IMO. Yeah but it's more of a supply and demand thing and they found the formula for there success.

The Shawn
06-08-2008, 06:03 AM
Has anyone ever tried Frequency or Amplitude made by the same people who produced GH? Those are also fun IMO. Yeah but it's more of a supply and demand thing and they found the formula for there success.

Yeah, Frequency is definately an under-rated game IMO. I own the first 4 GH's but I don't see me buying the next one until GH-Metallica comes out. Aerosmith just has never done anything for me really...

But if more folks want to pop 60 beans every time a new one comes out, more power to em' I say.

Rev. Link
06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't see why this is a surprise to anyone. Activision pumps out at least one title a year for each of their big franchises, not just GH. This is why we got an inferior, Treyarch-developed Call of Duty 3, because Activision demanded a new Call of Duty and Infinity Ward wasn't ready to release the game that became CoD4 yet. This is also why we'll be getting a Treyarch-developed CoD5.

Nature Boy
06-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also imagine the dev process on these isn't quite as intensive or expensive as a GTA-level effort at building a whole virtual city.

If they were difficult to make, you wouldn't see the number of titles displayed in the first post in this thread. Because trust me - if Take 2 could release the same number of GTA games in the same time period they would certainly love to try!

zemmix
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm just waiting for a Lego edition of Guitar Hero.

Neil Koch
06-09-2008, 01:31 PM
If they were difficult to make, you wouldn't see the number of titles displayed in the first post in this thread. Because trust me - if Take 2 could release the same number of GTA games in the same time period they would certainly love to try!

Well, there were the "stories" games, which were basically just mods for GTAIII and Vice City. But they only charged $20 for those, at least on PS2.

A problem for me (and at least a few others) is that some of the GH releases, specifically Rocks the 80's, weren't full-featured enough to justify a full price tag. If they were just releasing Aerosmith and Metallica as expansion packs or DLC, I don't think it would be as big of a deal.

And as for Tony Hawk, apparently, it is taking a year off after getting its' ass handed to it by Skate last year, so there might be some hope that the franchise can "reboot" itself and become relevant again. I really enjoyed the first few games, especially THPS3, but the last few entries have just been so bland that I haven't even bothered playing through them.

Nature Boy
06-25-2008, 09:32 AM
A problem for me (and at least a few others) is that some of the GH releases, specifically Rocks the 80's, weren't full-featured enough to justify a full price tag. If they were just releasing Aerosmith and Metallica as expansion packs or DLC, I don't think it would be as big of a deal.

Sports fans feel the same way. But they want that new roster update *so bad* that they're willing to pay full price for a game when they'd rather pay for DLC. GH fans are no different, and Activision knows that.

None of this is new though. And it's not going away while we continue to support it. Whining about it doesn't work. We have to stop buying it. We have to wait for them to release "The Ultimate GH III" package which has everything, and then buy that in droves while ignoring everything before it.

But it won't happen.

RadiantSvgun
06-25-2008, 10:30 AM
I really haven't enjoyed a guitar hero game since the first one. Since the original, the games are just too easy, and the song selection is poor.

Where is the good stuff like amplitude and frequency? I really liked the music/rhythm genre when it was more underground. Well, I'm not getting on my soapbox for that. I still wish guitar freaks and drumania would get console ports stateside. At least it would be some competition in the marketplace.

mailman187666
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
my thoughts on guitar hero all together are this:

1. Its an enjoyable game but I am not good at it nor do I own any version except the DS game because I think it is a really good idea they made.

2. Its one of those games that you can get the guys and the girls to hang out and play it. Its great if you are with your female friends AND I have personally seen guitar hero be a good ice breaker for meeting new friends/dating for both genders.

3. I do believe they are milking guitar hero with the sequels and it could eventually be overdone, kind of like the Tony Hawk series.

unwinddesign
06-26-2008, 01:44 PM
All of what mailman said is true, and it's not a bad game. None of them will ever be bad, just like TH was never bad...I just see them getting bland.

Personally, I don't want to shell out $190 for another set of fake instruments, especially when Rock Band's cheap, easily breakable peripherals did not warrant the purchase (GHIII was slightly more palatable, seeing as how it was $100, but still...). I've become good enough at the game where to increase my scores/beat the rest of Expert, it would take actual practice in the practice mode to beat some of the long runs/get my fingers slamming on those buttons with mega speed. Not worth it. I wish they would introduce something new or innovative to the series beyond new instruments. What, you say? I don't know -- I'm not the developer. But there has to be something that would be interesting and keep it fresh.

The way I see it is this:

GH1 = THPS1 (unpolished, a bit, but great)
GH2 = THPS2 (improved hammer-ons = manual, completely changing the face of the game)
GH3 = THPS3 (revert, not as game changing as manual + crap online play = more master tracks, battle mode, crap online play, battle tracks, more DLC)
GH4 = THPS4 (open ended GTA inspired world = open ended, rock band inspired world tour with more instruments)

Joker T
06-27-2008, 12:26 AM
At this rate the next Guitar Hero is going to combine all the instruments with dance mats and the BeatMania turntable.

GH 4 should still be a pretty fun game, Red Octane's hardware is significantly better too.