PDA

View Full Version : My Brother's Getting a PS2 For His Birthday...

Rogmeister
06-06-2008, 10:03 AM
He is not a hardcore gamer and hasn't played video games regularly for awhile except for a few simple games he has for his Game Boy SP. He is about my age...he turns 57 on Friday, June 13, and his son Derek is buying him a PS2 for his birthday. Interestingly, I gave him my Sega Genesis collection a few months ago but I don't know that he ever used it. Derek told me he's getting him MLB Power Pros...I wonder if Derek is really getting it so HE can play it as he can't on his own system...the game isn't available for the Xbox 360. I need to ask Derek what other games he's buying my brother (his dad) for his birthday. I know my brother always liked the Crash Bandicoot games but I don't think any of the post-PS1 games are considered to be very good, are they? If Derek doesn't get it for him, I may pick up the first Ratchet & Clank game for my brother. And if I can find it, maybe Katamari Damacy... My brother might not want games that are too complicated, though.

Kitsune Sniper
06-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Rog, go to Gamestop, they've got Katamari Damacy on sale for ten bucks if you can find it!

I dunno if your brother will enjoy it, but at least he'll fall in love with the soundtrack. :D

gum_drops
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Naughty Dog, who made the crash games, also made the Jak and Dexter trilogy on the PS2. They are highly regarded and may be worth looking into. The levels are big though, and more intricate then simpler platformers like Sly Cooper or Crash Bandicoot.

There are alsoother solid 3D platformers like Ape Escape 2,3 and Rayman 2,3.

Maybe he would enjoy some of the simple but fun 2D action games like Viewtiful Joe or Alien Hominid.

I also personally like the Baldurs Gate and Champions of Norrath games, especially since his son and him could play it co-op, which is where the games really shine. Nice thing is even if he doesn't quite get the gist of it, his son can pick up the slack. Back when Baldurs Gate first came out my father was inept at playing video games but managed well enough with the warrior class to make it though the game with me.

evil_genius
06-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Is that a Norwegian Forest Cat?

Rogmeister
06-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, I was incorrect. My brother's son is buying him a PS2 and games...but it's a long-range plan as he's actually going to give it to him next Christmas, not on his birthday. I will probably let him take care of it as I might forget he's getting that by the end of the year.

Oh, regarding Shadow...my cat who is my avatar...he is actually a Maine Coon, not a Norwegian Forest Cat. Those two breeds can indeed look similar, though.

Sothy
06-07-2008, 03:11 AM
/me wants genny games yer brother dont play

Rogmeister
06-07-2008, 08:40 AM
Most of those games are pretty common...some baseball games, a football game, Garfield, Superman, Vectorman, etc. And I can't ask for them back since I gave them to him...