PDA

View Full Version : Collecting: Clamshell packaging [Blister Packs] - keep or dump?

NYLatenite
06-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Frequent reader, infrequent poster...

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on keeping the clamshell packaging from today's console accessories.

I'm a collector and have done a fairly good job of keeping much of that damned plastic packaging in decent condition after getting the goodies out, and am wondering whether or not it's worth the effort to keep it. (It takes up a lot of room that I really could put to good use)

So there's my question to all the collectors out there - Do you guys keep clamshell packaging for future collecting purposes or do you toss it?

Richter Belmount
06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Clamshelling is a tough pill to swallow but I have done it >_> , I think its easier to go ahead and do it if you get a complete game in damaged conditon.

namzep
06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I've tended to but I'm beginning to run out of space and will probably go to tossing that packaging, first, to clear out space.

Cryomancer
06-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I keep the manuals. The packages are too destroyed to bother with and don't even stack or anything.

Ed Oscuro
06-07-2008, 06:59 PM
My problem isn't clamshells for current games - they keep the inserts nice, it's what they were designed for - but rather getting horrible clamshell cases for SMS and Genesis games that've been partially eaten (or worse).

Cryomancer
06-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I don't think that's what we're talking about here...right?

NYLatenite
06-07-2008, 08:39 PM
We're talking about that damn hard plastic packaging that controllers, memory cards and cables come in nowadays.

Cornelius
06-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I think the OP is talking about what is commonly called 'blister packs'. I don't have enough new stuff for it to really matter, so so far I've kept what I could.

Rogue
06-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Yeah, the transparent middle-hard plastic.

The blisters.

I keep them all.

But I think paper boxes are better. You know, renovable resources...

Paper should be cheaper than plastic... hmm... in the future it will be... =)

Sudo
06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I usually just throw it out.

Ed Oscuro
06-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Ehh, blister packs?

I don't know of many games that are packed in them.

I have a Tiger Electronics Batman ('89!) that somebody lovingly, carefully cut along the top so the whole pack would be intact, and I've kept it that way. Figures it would end up in a thrift store. Somebody probably strangled the owner in their sleep for the insurance :(

Generally blisters aren't worth the trouble at all. In fact I recently opened a few memory cards that were in blister packs just to save space.

c0ldb33r
06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I'll open the blister pack, use the item enough that I'm satisfied that it works and then throw it out - typically about a month?

Ed Oscuro
06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
It's funnier when I pretend people are talking about suppositories or some other "personal health care" product.

scooterb23
06-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Considering I have to use a chainsaw and low-grade explosives to open that crap, I throw it the hell away.

/me can envision people out there saving the packaging for all their used XBox live 1600 points cards that used to come in those packs...shudders...walks away.

robotriot
06-08-2008, 04:08 AM
I'm also only keeping the manuals. The blister packs are just completely destroyed after I have to get my toolbox out to open them. I hate them so much, it feels good throwing them away. I do keep cardboard boxes of accessories though.

sisko
06-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Too hard to keep looking nice, too hard to store, and too hard to store looking nice.

I toss 'em

Daria
06-08-2008, 11:27 PM
I carefully cut open the blister to my Hori Slime Controller so I could take the controller in and out. But that's it. Most accessories I wouldn't give a shit about.

zektor
06-08-2008, 11:43 PM
I keep every package nowadays. I will open blister packs with a box cutter carefully, and keep the blister package in the closet with my other various crap. Why do I do this? Really not entirely sure. It just feels like the right thing to do I suppose...hah..

Electric Blue
06-09-2008, 12:36 AM
If I buy something that's in a blister pack, I'll usually buy two, one new in blister, and one off ebay, since I can usually get a loose/opened copy for alot less.

Ed Oscuro
06-09-2008, 09:46 AM
I keep every package nowadays. I will open blister packs with a box cutter carefully, and keep the blister package in the closet with my other various crap. Why do I do this? Really not entirely sure. It just feels like the right thing to do I suppose...hah..
What comes in these blisters? Butter? Or actual games?

I'm actually curious as it's been I don't know how long since anything but system accessories came in blisters.

Electric Blue
06-09-2008, 11:07 AM

I'm actually curious as it's been I don't know how long since anything but system accessories came in blisters.

off the top of my head, The Eye of Judgement came in a blister pack.

mailman187666
06-09-2008, 11:25 AM
I would only keep the blister packs if I were going to be keeping the items sealed. Otherwise I just rip them open and toss them away. I don't see any reason to keep them if they are cut open. I've actually sliced my finger on one trying to open it one time and still have the scar from it. I never knew videogames could be so dangerous.

Damaramu
06-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I never keep blister packs. I cut (pain in the butt to do this) the stuff out of package and toss it.

heybtbm
06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Throw it away. I keep the instructions/inserts for the various accessories I buy, but who has the space to keep a bunch of plastic garbage sitting around?

Rogue
06-09-2008, 08:59 PM
People throwing plastic away, please recycle where facilities exists.

=D

By the way, the topic creator said:
"I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on keeping the clamshell packaging from today's console accessories."

zektor
06-09-2008, 10:47 PM

Actually, yes, only accessories. I keep the blisters from all of the Wii accessories I purchased recently, blisters from component cables for the PS3...etc. I guess it is a good thing, as I have sold certain accessories for more (on ebay) just because I included the original packaging. If anything, the items retain their value that much more because you kept the packaging....even tho it had been opened. Don't ask me why....maybe people like reading the packaging whilst on the shitter!

murdoc rose
06-09-2008, 10:53 PM
trash or recycle, if your going to open it then a blister pack is pointless to keep imo at least, how ever this doesn't come up alot when most of your collection is pre 1995.