PDA

View Full Version : Hot/cold streaks?

Gapporin
06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
You've probably noticed the fact that the odds are almost evenly stacked against you at all times. You win some, you lose some. This is just as true in real life as it is in video games. Lives are lost, bosses remain unbeaten, you missed a perfect Burning Lap by 1/10th of a second, etc. etc.

But do you ever have days where nothing goes your way? This is the equivalent of running into the first Goomba in Super Mario Bros. You try more than one game, but nothing's working. Easily passed levels seem more difficult. Scores are not as high. Something's wrong and you're just in a "funk" for the whole time. The next day or the next time you play that game, it all comes back and you're doing just as good as you did before.

Alternatively, do you ever have days where everything lines up perfectly? Every game you touch turns to gold. Nothing can stop you. What once was difficult is now passe. Also alternatively, the next day or the next time you play, those difficult parts are once more a struggle to get through.

Here's an example: I kept together a list of about 15 "achievements" I wanted to beat in various games. Just simple score based accomplishments, nothing complex. I would work at these goals on and off, but never really gaining any ground. Maybe I would finally knock off one, but those days were far and few between. Today, I just beat four of those goals before failing once.

What happened? There wasn't anything I did differently. I didn't change the difficulty, change my schedule, what I ate, etc. etc. It just comes and goes.

What say you? Ever been in a similar situation?

SpaceHarrier
06-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Definitely. One I happen to notice is when I play DDR. I consider myself fairly proficient, but by no means an expert. What I notice is: I play for a few days and then I start having good days and bad days (failing songs). If I quit for awhile though, and come back to the game like a month later I get super high scores the first couple hours or so... like setting new records.

Me personally, I don't accomplish too many of those self-imposed 'goals' due to my anger/frustration level rising to 'catastrophe' (where controllers are thrown and stuff gets broken). I have a temper. But some days, something goes right and I get in a good mood and nothing can bring me down, and I can storm through what was otherwise impossible before. And sometimes I get SO pissed off that I refuse to quit, and at the height of my rage, I calm down and give up caring and just play. Somehow at that moment things usually go right and I easily pass whatever I was attempting.

Then I feel dumb for getting so mad at a game. But yeah I definitely notice that sort-of gaming randomness. Can't find the groove sometimes. And when you don't try things just seem to go your way.

CartCollector
06-08-2008, 06:25 PM
If I quit for awhile though, and come back to the game like a month later I get super high scores the first couple hours or so... like setting new records.

I've had this happen to me with Game & Watch Gallery 3.

squirrelnut
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
This is too good of a topic to lie die like this.

I've had the same issues. Just some days it seems like my motor skills just aren't working. Maybe when I sleep a synapse or 2 fell out of place.

One game I had a super hot streak on was SMW. There was one level that was just as good as a speed run. I would run full bore, bounce off everyone with perfect timing and never miss a beat. After not playing it for a day, I could not stop dying in that level.

I think it's usually a combination of things that causes this. Some days I'm just gunnin to win while other days I'm playing just to play it. Another thing that really affects me is just my overall mood. Usually if I've been having a good day my playing skills are a lot better.

DKTheArcadeRat
06-13-2008, 01:16 PM
I used to play games while listening to music. If I was doing shitty, I blamed it on the song and changed songs until i started to play amazingly again. It was with almost all games, and well, it works for me. hah I don't usually suck too hard at games tho.