PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the 3D space sim genre - Any in development?

gum_drops
06-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Everyone remembers the 97'-01' 3D space sim glory days with the likes of Freespace, Starlancer, Colony Wars, and Independence war.

With the current generation of high-def consoles how great would it be to have another epic space simulation. The online console community seems like its ripe for it now. For whatever reason one has not been done yet.

Are there any in production currently? It would be nice to see a prominent developer like Bungie, Insomniac, Raven Software, or Epic Games take a shot at making one.

BydoEmpire
06-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Didn't you get the memo? They're no longer cool (same fate as high-fantasy games). If it doesn't have criminals or expensve cars it's not getting made. :p

There was one for XBLA, can't remember the name. I DL'd the demo but never got around to playing it. It'd be pretty cool to see something like Elite taken online with Live. I could see myself playing that a lot. In the mean time, I'll continue playing Star Raiders on my XE - still fun 25+ years later.

NE146
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Have you checked out the brand new "Aces of the Galaxy" on xbox live? It's basically a Starfox on rails shooter... but I'll take it.

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/879/879095/aces-of-the-galaxy-20080604100521837_640w.jpg

BydoEmpire
06-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I haven't heard of that one - it looks pretty cool, I'll have to check it out.

JunkTheMagicDragon
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
haven't heard of anything in the offing. sure would be nice, esp if it's on consoles. i don't feel like upgrading my pc to play new games anymore.

guess i'll just have to go back and replay freelancer for the 20th time.

i can heard it already: "we don't own this place, but we have an understanding with the people who do."

G-Boobie
06-10-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't know of any off hand, which is too bad. I could go for a real Wing Commander game.

Did you try Project: Sylpheed (360 Square space combat sim)? It's not bad. It's not great either, but you take what you can get.

Interplay is somehow solvent and developing games from their old IP stable again, so there may be some Descent in our future. Here's hoping anyway.