PDA

View Full Version : question: dreamcast and a new LCD

Soviet Conscript
06-09-2008, 10:08 PM
ok...i think i'm missing something here so it may be something real simple.

I don't have a fancy TV with a VGA input but i've always wanted to run a dreamcast through VGA.

i just bought a LG w2252tq PC monitor thinking i could possibly use it with both my PC and dreamcast but when i hook my DC up all i get is a "analog power saver" screen followed by what appears to be a sleep mode. i know its detecting because when i pull the cable i get a no signal detected screen. tryed pushing all the buttons and nothing. the monitor comes with a drivers disc (don't ever remember haveing to use a driver with a monitor) but i'm assuming the DC wouldn't need that.

i was hoping to eventually be able to have both hooked up at once (PC through DVI and DC through VGA) though not sure if there is an acual way to switch

and while were on the subject. do you need a special monitor for TATE mode games or do you just need to turn the screen vertical and it will detect that?

Leo_A
06-09-2008, 10:31 PM
For tate mode, there's nothing to detect. Just select it in a ingame menu, and rotate your television 90 degrees.

No clue why your monitor isn't seeing the Dreamcast, I guess it just must not be designed to expect a 480p signal over VGA. It's going to mostly be used with PC's at much higher resolutions.

Soviet Conscript
06-12-2008, 07:12 PM
oh, silly me

there is a switch on the side for TV/PC, it was set to TV. no wonder it hasn't worked

fixed!

CosmicMonkey
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Now you do have it working, get that monitor turned counter-clockwise and get playing Under Defeat.

DJ Daishi
06-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Now you do have it working, get that monitor turned counter-clockwise and get playing Under Defeat.

....and Project Justice!!!

Soviet Conscript
06-12-2008, 08:02 PM
whats funny is i acually have no dreamcast shooters. gotta a bunch for the saturn and turbo but no DC. :(

looks like i'm going to have to track some DC shooters down now.

oh, anouther question. is there any 3rd party stands one can get for a LCD to make it easy to raise and tilt to the vertical. when i went to best buy to get my new monitor they only had 1 model that was able to extend and tilt to the vertical but it was $100 more and had a 3ms worse refresh rate so i passed