PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo of Europe said "Only Geeks and Otaku want extra storage on the Wii"

7th lutz
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
source: http://www.vc-reviews.com/news/2008/06/only_geeks_and_otaku_want_extra_storage_on_the_wii

That link has the article.

Overbite
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Geeks and Otaku are the only ones buying games other than wii sports for it.

Kuros
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
There is a Nintendo of Europe now?

7th lutz
06-10-2008, 07:52 PM
There is a Nintendo of Europe now?

Yes. They have their own website: http://www.nintendo.be/

DigitalSpace
06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Wow, did Nintendo hire this Laurent Fischer guy from Sony or something?

Kuros
06-10-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes. They have their own website: http://www.nintendo.be/

Twas sarcasm my friend, however I admit, I forgot my sarcasm tags. :)

heybtbm
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
>>>Now call us stupid, but surely Nintendo should be pleased that there are Wii owners out there downloading so many games that they’re running out of space? Clearly the company is entering a new, golden era of hatred and resentment towards its customers.

Who didn't see this coming? This arrogant attitude is the same reason Nintendo is steeped in last generation graphics and has no intention of fixing their joke of online play.

Nintendo Mafia: You got what you wanted. How does it taste?

badinsults
06-10-2008, 09:14 PM
You have to admit though, it is the truth. The average Wii user probably does not need more than the internal memory.

zektor
06-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Ehh, I think that if a REAL demand (many outcries over time) occur, Nintendo will release some sort add-on device such as a USB drive that can store and run the downloaded titles from it. As of now, it is not really all that big of a deal to simply re-download the titles you purchase from the store. I mean, if you fill up the Wii you are probably not playing every single game that is installed, but rather collecting them on the console. The games are tiny for the most part (30-40MB at max) and take literally no time to re-download when you want. Can't these be backed up to SD (and then to your PC) anyway? I know they cannot be played off of the SD card or on a different Wii console, but at least you have the ability to back them up and restore locally.

TheDomesticInstitution
06-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Why not put a bigger hard drive on the Wii? You could do so much more with the Wii then.

Nintendo's thinking outside the box on this one... bucking the trend of Hi-Def and hard drives- good for them. There's nothing wrong with a half-assed approach to online gaming as far as I'm concerned.

You have to hand it to them though, the Wii is massively successful because it is the perfect gaming machine. It's futile to criticize a console that cannot be improved upon. The Nintendo mafia 'round these parts will never admit to any wrongdoing, shortcomings, or err on the side of Nintendo. Ever. Just wait for the comments that follow.

Rob2600
06-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Nintendo is steeped in last generation graphics and has no intention of fixing their joke of online play.

If the Wii is so bad, then why does it still sell for $300+ used on Amazon.com 19 months after it's release?

Amazon - Wii console, used and new (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0009VXBAQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1213151395&sr=8-1)

Anyway, I really don't care too much about online gaming. I can't be alone on this. For every gamer who loves to play online, how many are there who simply don't care?

The only game I've been playing online is Mario Kart Wii and I think it's a lot of fun. It's smooth and I rarely have problems. Some people complain about the lack of voice chat, but I can't imagine talking to eleven other people while racing. What would we say to each other? I can't think of anything. Can you?

Why not put a bigger hard drive on the Wii? You could do so much more with the Wii then.

I agree. As I've written in several other threads, I should be able to plug a USB memory stick into the back of the Wii, leave it there, and use it as active storage. It seems simple enough. What's the problem, Nintendo?

carlcarlson
06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
If the Wii is so bad, then why does it still sell for $300+ used on Amazon.com 19 months after it's release?

What does that have to do with graphics or online play? It's true, the graphics are (for the most part) lacking, and the online capabilities of all Nintendo products is ridiculous. You always play that "selling well" card, and for some arguments it's valid, but it has nothing to do with this one.

I agree though, you should be able to plug in a USB device and use it for secondary storage. That's very basic and seems like a no-brainer.

Rob2600
06-10-2008, 09:44 PM
What does that have to do with graphics or online play? It's true, the graphics are (for the most part) lacking, and the online capabilities of all Nintendo products is ridiculous.

My point is that it seems like there are more people who don't care about cutting-edge graphics and online play than there are who do, which is why the Wii is still ridiculously hot and consistently outsells the "superior" consoles.

Besides, it's not like the Wii's graphics are bad. They're good, just not as good as the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. Do you honestly think the graphics in games like Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl are bad/last-gen/lacking?

Muscelli
06-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Geeky people would be the only ones to complain about not having more then 15 different games at their disposal at a given time. Is using a SD card to transfer data back and forth that difficult?

Melf
06-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Some people complain about the lack of voice chat, but I can't imagine talking to eleven other people while racing. What would we say to each other? I can't think of anything. Can you?

If I'm playing with friends, then yes. Being able to just chat while playing can make the experience very fun. Sitting in silence while playing with half a dozen people sucks.

Geeky people would be the only ones to complain about not having more then 15 different games at their disposal at a given time. Is using a SD card to transfer data back and forth that difficult?

It's not hard, just inconvenient and proof that Nintendo didn't think ahead. They could at least let you play stuff right off the SD card. Why is simple shit like that so hard for them?

Rob2600
06-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Sitting in silence while playing with half a dozen people sucks.

Well, there's the game music, sound effects, and character chatter, so I don't exactly sit there in silence when I play.

Also, my girlfriend and I often play online sitting next to each other and even she commented that she couldn't imagine having anything to say to the other people racing against us. Maybe we're too old-fashioned?

EDIT: You have a point about playing against friends, but I'm fine with not talking to or listening to strangers.

zektor
06-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I have played a few times online with voice chat on the 360, and let me tell you, it sucks in my honest opinion. Screw that, I'd much rather play in complete silence than listen to the garbage I had endured online...

I rarely ever play online personally. I would MUCH rather have a game party at the house with a bunch of friends right here playing with me....just like the good ol' days. I do however really like uploading high scores and trying to beat out the best of the best out there (ie: Super Stardust HD, Star Soldier R..etc) but I think that is really my extent when it comes to my online "fun".

The graphics of the Wii are great in my opinion. As great as the PS3/360? No, but great nonetheless. It is not like the system has crappy visuals (or even dated), but just not as extreme as the other consoles. That's ok with me tho....as long as the games are there. The DS is a great example of this. I *love* the DS and it's games. The PSP has some great games too, but I really believe that the DS just has a better line-up.

All of this is getting way off topic I know, but after reading some statements on these subjects I figured I'd add my honest opinion.

Neil Koch
06-11-2008, 12:00 AM
It's not hard, just inconvenient and proof that Nintendo didn't think ahead. They could at least let you play stuff right off the SD card. Why is simple shit like that so hard for them?

That's my feeling exactly. It's not like it would take Nintendo a whole lot to release some sort of update where you can play VC/WiiWare games directly from a SD card.

Icarus Moonsight
06-11-2008, 01:12 AM
The folks who play the games with people that they know in real life don't care about on-line stuff. Only Geeks, Otaku and hygienically-challenged-under-socialized-man-children want on-line play. LOL

How could on-line chat make Mario Kart better? That's simple. You call the guy who most recently used a Blue Shell a "Cheap twat" and variate between berating the other players sexual orientation or race/nationality. Silly Nintendo, can't see the forests for the trees. :p

Regarding "Nintendo Mafia: You got what you wanted. How does it taste?"

Tastes much better than the bile you spill out in every damn Wii related thread. OR It tastes like Pasta Fazool, that's amore! :p

Nintendo, SD slot update or a decent storage solution. Srsly. It's beyond time guys.

Parodius
06-11-2008, 01:38 AM
As for the Wii being the best system because it sells the most, to quote Immortal Technique, "universal truth is not measured in mass appeal."

Was Spider-Man 3 the best movie of 2007?

Was Madden 07 the best game of 2006?

I don't think so.

Even with the component cable the graphics of the Wii look like garbage on my TV. Voice chat and comprehensive online play has been done well on console since December 2002. 720p has been feasible on console since November 2001. What is the freaking hold up Nintendo?

The problem is that we, hardcore gamers, barely matter anymore. Why cater to us with expensive games when you can make souped-up Gamecube games and miscellaneous shovelware and sell it to an unsuspecting public. The sad thing is that an overabundance of crap was what got Atari and the rest of the industry in trouble in the early eighties. Similarly, the NES ads of the mid eighties regarding the (insert name of fitness mat for NES) also focused on families gaming together. However, once the early fad passed, the family moved on to other things, leaving junior to play by himself. Naturally, the industry has changed, but it is nonetheless idiotic to enjoy the traditional gamer. Why couldn't Nintendo satisfy both?

And, for the record, Mario Kart was dumbed down on the Wii because they wanted to appeal to a much broader audience. Academic James Paul Gee argues that one of the virtues of games is that they can appeal to everyone from the novice to the professional at the same time, but I am starting to doubt the truth of his ideas around this in the present-to-near future.

Additionally, Yourself Fitness on the Xbox did fitness better than the Wii Fit in 2004 (except for the balance board). Where is the harm in producing a balance board and a decent fitness game? Now, I am sure that the Wii Fit sequel will introduce the equivalent of fitness playlists, more expansive workout options and so forth, that were all present in 2004.

I do like the Virtual Console, but ALL but one of my friends are on Xbox Live. Therefore, it is more fun to score battle, coop, chat, or whatnot with them on Live than fiddle with codes on a system that none of my friends are online with (my lone Live-holdout friend is on PSN).

Sweater Fish Deluxe
06-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Geeks and otaku will just install the homebrew channel and then get all the emulated retro games they want without having to worry about space.

...word is bondage...

GarrettCRW
06-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Bloody hell, this thread is out of control.

This is Nintendo of Europe. Also known as, The Dipshit Arm of Nintendo. When the US and/or Japanese branches chime in, I'll believe what they say well before I believe what some toady from NOE has said.

Icarus Moonsight
06-11-2008, 04:32 AM
They did let the Master System beat them after all. ;) Bunch of hacks. LOL

Icarus Moonsight
06-11-2008, 04:39 AM
The problem is that we, hardcore gamers, barely matter anymore. Why cater to us with expensive games when you can make souped-up Gamecube games and miscellaneous shovelware and sell it to an unsuspecting public. The sad thing is that an overabundance of crap was what got Atari and the rest of the industry in trouble in the early eighties. Similarly, the NES ads of the mid eighties regarding the (insert name of fitness mat for NES) also focused on families gaming together. However, once the early fad passed, the family moved on to other things, leaving junior to play by himself. Naturally, the industry has changed, but it is nonetheless idiotic to enjoy the traditional gamer. Why couldn't Nintendo satisfy both?

Thank god you said hardcore gamer. Your speaking less for me than for the IGN, 1UP and GameFAQ lot by that. From softcore gamers everywhere; Thank you. Sometimes it's nice not to get rolled into equations demographically. :)

heybtbm
06-11-2008, 10:08 AM
I think most Nintendo Apologists are missing the point when they over-react to criticisms directed at the Wii. Most of us who level the criticism are Nintendo fans/Wii owners from the beginning who simply had higher expectations than most people. While I'd agree that it's in Nintendo's best interest to cater to its largest demographic (i.e. not us), they still could've made a few simple improvements and kept almost everyone happy. What's surprising (to me) is how stubborn Nintendo still can be when presented with these concerns.

Anyway, what I love (and what makes this topic so hilarious every time it comes up) are the blind Nintendo soldiers with their fingers in their ears shouting, "LA LA LA LA LA" when these valid criticisms are brought up. "Who needs voice chat" or "Wii graphics look just fine"...LOL. I mean, c'mon...have some dignity.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
06-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Anyway, what I love (and what makes this topic so hilarious every time it comes up) are the blind Nintendo soldiers with their fingers in their ears shouting, "LA LA LA LA LA" when these valid criticisms are brought up. "Who needs voice chat" or "Wii graphics look just fine"...LOL. I mean, c'mon...have some dignity.
Look, I'm not a "blind Nintendo soldier" (WTF?), I don't even own a Wii and I have no interest in owning one, but the graphics *DO* look fine. I would expect comments about the relative "power" of a system on boards like IGN or GameFAQs or on school playgrounds, but not at Digital Press. People here should know that the graphical power of a system is really irrelevant. Good games are always good games no matter what the graphics look like and bad games always bad no matter what the graphics look like. And it's not as if the graphics on the Wii look like the 2600 or the SNES or even the Dreamcast, all of which are superb systems that many people around here love and play much more than the Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii put together. I feel ridiculous saying this stuff because I would have expected everyone here to know it, but apparently it's something you haven't figured out yet. In future, please refrain from degrading the graphics of a system because it brings the general level of intelligence for the whole site down.

...word is bondage...

heybtbm
06-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Look, I'm not a "blind Nintendo soldier" (WTF?), I don't even own a Wii and I have no interest in owning one, but the graphics *DO* look fine. I would expect comments about the relative "power" of a system on boards like IGN or GameFAQs or on school playgrounds, but not at Digital Press. People here should know that the graphical power of a system is really irrelevant. Good games are always good games no matter what the graphics look like and bad games always bad no matter what the graphics look like. And it's not as if the graphics on the Wii look like the 2600 or the SNES or even the Dreamcast, all of which are superb systems that many people around here love and play much more than the Xbox 360, PS3 or Wii put together. I feel ridiculous saying this stuff because I would have expected everyone here to know it, but apparently it's something you haven't figured out yet. In future, please refrain from degrading the graphics of a system because it brings the general level of intelligence for the whole site down.

Please. You don't get to pigeonhole me that easy. A quick glance at my game library (http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?lid=100018)dismisses any notion of me being a graphics whore. Most of my gaming time is spent on my PS2 and DS than my 360 or PS3. I even play the Wii more than I do the PS3 now that I think about it.

The reason graphics come up so often in these discussions is because of the Wii's competition. This is the first generation of consoles where one is substantially behind the others technologically. Sure, Wii graphics can look nice. The problem is when a majority of games produced for the console don't look any different than the previous generation. Some gamers expect things to progress each generation, not stagnate.

In the larger scheme of things, last gen graphics are just a symptom of a larger issue IMO, which is Nintendo's general stubbornness to advance technologically. From my observations, their mindset appears to be validated by two things, 1.) The Wii's current retail success, and 2.) The Gamecube's and N64's failures (in part by trying to "keep up" technologically with their peers). So I don't think things are going to change anytime soon.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
06-11-2008, 03:07 PM
From my observations, their mindset appears to be validated by two things, 1.) The Wii's current retail success, and 2.) The Gamecube's and N64's failures (in part by trying to "keep up" technologically with their peers). So I don't think things are going to change anytime soon.
You forgot: 3) the technological prowess of a video game system has little correlation to the quality of its games.

And your suggestion that the Wii is the first console to be graphically inferior to its competition is silly. Every video game generation since 1978 has had a wide variation in the graphical power of the various systems. The last generation was possibly the only exception, in fact.

...word is bondage...

Parodius
06-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Most, if not all hardware generations have been won by a graphically inferior system:
Ps2 vs Xbox and GC
PSX vs N64
Genesis vs SNES (more of a draw really)
NES vs SMS
VCS vs Intellivision and Coleco

Though I guess the Amiga beat out the Atari ST in spite of being a graphically superior system.

poloplayr
06-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow, did Nintendo hire this Laurent Fischer guy from Sony or something?

LOL, you stole my reply! :)

Icarus Moonsight
06-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Begin Operation Pick-A-Post Poker!

Please. You don't get to pigeonhole me that easy. A quick glance at my game library (http://club.ign.com/b/list/custom?lid=100018)dismisses any notion of me being a graphics whore.

Yet you can't help but harp about inferior visuals. So are you just irrational or a liar?

Most of my gaming time is spent on my PS2 and DS than my 360 or PS3. I even play the Wii more than I do the PS3 now that I think about it.

At this point, I highly suspect that you do not even play anything. Being that every system has flaws and I would guess from your replies that even perfection may be beneath you.

The reason graphics come up so often in these discussions is because of the Wii's competition.

Yes, Nintendo should have stretched for those high end visuals. You know, to be more unique and original. Like the others. That is 100% win. It has always worked for them in the past. LOL

This is the first generation of consoles where one is substantially behind the others technologically. Sure, Wii graphics can look nice. The problem is when a majority of games produced for the console don't look any different than the previous generation. Some gamers expect things to progress each generation, not stagnate.

For :deadhorse: I :smash: you! Ok, so now we know you are compelled to lie by this; "This is the first generation of consoles where one is substantially behind the others technologically." Seriously, where the hell have you been?

In the larger scheme of things, last gen graphics are just a symptom of a larger issue IMO, which is Nintendo's general stubbornness to advance technologically. From my observations, their mindset appears to be validated by two things, 1.) The Wii's current retail success, and 2.) The Gamecube's and N64's failures (in part by trying to "keep up" technologically with their peers). So I don't think things are going to change anytime soon.

Thank yous for biting the head off your own argument there. Saves me the trouble. Besides, with some of your gripes - you have to know that many of us agree. It's just that we don't bitch about those things at every given opportunity and blame a faceless boogey-man squad/mafia. Got anymore credibility to sacrifice while we are here? Or was that the bottom of the jar? It was rather old and weak... :p

There it is... off the rails. This thread was about what again? *rereads topic head* Ah! Now I understand how it happened. That topic isn't strong enough to carry a thread on it's own. LOL

NoE really is the red-headed step-child of the family. Yeah, hey... the family, ya know like the Soprano's, the Gotti's or the even worse... the Brady's. LOL

heybtbm
06-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Thank yous for biting the head off your own argument there. Blah, blah, blah

..and there we have it. The root of your misunderstanding. I was never arguing anything (or incidentally "talking" to you). I was just expressing my opinion. I own a Wii. I've enjoyed a playing a few games on it. With the exception of my first post (a not-so-subtle slam on NoE), I've only been trying to explain this opinion on why I'm so disappointed with the damn thing. Who here doesn't think the Wii could have been so much better?

I suppose I could return the favor and reply to your post, point by point. I'm flattered by your attention and investment of time.

The truth is I don't want to waste any more of my time. Besides, we both know what this is really about. It funny how these things manifest themselves sometimes. After all, the internet is serious business. I know it still stings, but I guess I'll be the classy one here and simply say...let it go.

Hep038
06-11-2008, 10:53 PM
LOL the Nintendo mafia has already started name calling and picking apart post.

Rob2600, come on man! you are falling way behind. there have been 3 critical post about Nintendo and you have not replied. You are really slipping.

Really guys if you prefer to play online in silence why not just play bots all the time?

Richter Belmount
06-12-2008, 12:58 AM

Nintendo Mafia :I think your mother is a whore, No Disrespect

Icarus Moonsight
06-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Err, okay? :eek 2:

Leo_A
06-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Most, if not all hardware generations have been won by a graphically inferior system:
Genesis vs SNES (more of a draw really)

Not sure how one can label the Genesis as a winner, or even as achieving a draw, when the Super Nintendo sold 20 million more units than the Sega Genesis. More of a loss, really.

j_factor
06-12-2008, 03:20 AM
Isn't "geeks and otaku" redundant?

This thread is kind of ridiculous. Why the hell are people talking about voice chat, and which 16 bit system sold more? I mean I know we have a collective proclivity towards straying to different topics in threads, but this is a little out there.

But for the record, Coleco competed mainly with the 5200 (rather than the VCS), and it won, dammit. :p

crazyjackcsa
06-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Well, lets see if we can get this back on topic. I'd love to see a better storage space option. Does anybody know how many different Wiis are online and downloading games? I know if you have Dial up (I do) then it's a moot point. It takes too long to download games and updates. I'm sure they have a point, it's probably a very small % of users that have already filled up their Wiis. That will change as more and more is realeased but at this point does the general Wii owner care? Probably a lot less than the "heavy" users on DP.

Push Upstairs
06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Am I the only one who read the title as "Greeks and Otaku"?

Sweater Fish Deluxe
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Not sure how one can label the Genesis as a winner, or even as achieving a draw, when the Super Nintendo sold 20 million more units than the Sega Genesis. More of a loss, really.
That's because Nintendo continued to push the SNES very hard between 1995 and 1997 by which time Sega had already dropped the Genesis hard. Up until 1995, the two consoles were running pretty much neck-and-neck. Though, of course, that includes a head start for the Genesis (not much of one since it didn't sell tremendously until 1991 anyway), so the SNES probably sold better even during that period, but not by much.

This thread is kind of ridiculous. Why the hell are people talking about voice chat, and which 16 bit system sold more? I mean I know we have a collective proclivity towards straying to different topics in threads, but this is a little out there.
By "we," I assume you mean the human race, right? This obsession with ckeeping "on topic" on Internet forums really runs counter to the way humans have conducted conversations for thousands of years.

But for the record, Coleco competed mainly with the 5200 (rather than the VCS), and it won, dammit.
You're being over-zealous in your application of this concept of video game generations. The 2600 continued to sell well and be the dominant video game console after 1982, so I can't think why the Colecovision wouldn't have been competing with it just because it was an older system, unless Coleco just wasn't even trying and was only aiming to be the #2 selling console (or maybe #3 behind the Intellivision? I don't know how well the Intelly was doing at that time) ahead of the 5200. I doubt that, though. I'm sure Coleco would have liked to have done better than both the 5200 *AND* the 2600.

...word is bondage...

unwinddesign
06-12-2008, 07:09 PM
We all know Nintendo of Europe is a big band of douches, so this comes as no surprise. Nonetheless, to have any arm of your company say that those who want more storage space are geeks and otaku is false. You have only 512MB storage built in. When I take a picture these days it's friggin' 3MB, an MP3 file is around 5MB, and so forth. The point is, the storage space is insufficient, and it will run out if you download a fair number of games. I can see casual gamers spending $50 on the VC, buying Donkey Kong etc. -- getting 5 - 10 games in the process, as opposed to spending it all on a single Wii title. In fact, the Virtual Console is more geared towards their casual market, as is Wii Ware. The hardcore/geeky market already knows that those titles are available via emulator or aren't worth the beans (cough, Wii Ware), and might actually be inclined to purchase less. All they would have to do is release a goddamn firmware update to allow games to be played off of an SD card, and all would be good. Boom, instant fix, and it would take like 35 seconds to implement. But oh noez, the piracy of the lucrative gamez!!111 (eye roll towards Nintendo's over-zealous piracy measures)

In all seriousness, though, why must Nintendo continue to avoid this issue? Why do they not want content such as GH3 songs et al. available? Why do they want to live in the technological stone age? Why don't they want to mildly reach out to the Xbox 360/PS3 market? Doesn't the "casual" gamer like to have some downloadable content etc. available? They're basically giving the finger to their entire audience.

Not really a concern, I guess, since I only bought one game (Defend Your Castle -- lol) and don't plan to give Nintendo additional funds for emulated versions of old games that I can A) get for free and B) need to buy an additional fucking controller that I don't have. Oh, and they don't have any new features and I can get them for cheaper on eBay. Hmm.

Rob2600
06-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Rob2600, come on man! you are falling way behind. there have been 3 critical post about Nintendo and you have not replied. You are really slipping.

Really guys if you prefer to play online in silence why not just play bots all the time?

Wow, am I a celebrity around here? I feel famous! :)

Here are my thoughts about the Wii:

1. The graphics don't bother me. The games I buy look fine to me.

2. The lack of voice chat doesn't bother me, either. I'm not a big online gamer. I do play Mario Kart Wii online, but as I wrote in an earlier post, both my girlfriend and I really can't imagine talking to other people while racing. We can't think of anything we'd say. I guess people who are really into online gaming and want voice chat would be more satisfied playing computer games or Xbox 360 games.

3. I agree that there should be a simple way for me to expand the Wii's storage. Some people suggest SD cards, which is a good idea. I also suggest being able to plug a USB memory stick into the back of the Wii. They're cheap and less intimidating to "casual" users than hard drives.

j_factor
06-13-2008, 12:01 AM
You're being over-zealous in your application of this concept of video game generations. The 2600 continued to sell well and be the dominant video game console after 1982, so I can't think why the Colecovision wouldn't have been competing with it just because it was an older system, unless Coleco just wasn't even trying and was only aiming to be the #2 selling console (or maybe #3 behind the Intellivision? I don't know how well the Intelly was doing at that time) ahead of the 5200. I doubt that, though. I'm sure Coleco would have liked to have done better than both the 5200 *AND* the 2600.

Everything I've read indicates that the Colecovision did indeed outsell the VCS/2600 during its time. Of course Coleco was never able to catch up in terms of user base, but they did have the #1 selling console, at least for a bit.

On topic, I think we can all agree that the Wii could use better storage options. I think it should just be able to use USB hard drives and USB flash drives.

Soviet Conscript
06-13-2008, 12:54 AM

because bots are stupid.

i like to have the challenge of opponents with human intelligence behind them without haveing to listen to these same "intelligent" people shouting crap or playing crappy music.

Icarus Moonsight
06-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Well, well. One could only hope this helps.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,146911-pg,1/article.html

G-Boobie
06-14-2008, 02:31 AM
You have to admit though, it is the truth. The average Wii user probably does not need more than the internal memory.

Totally true, and no bones about it. I know thirty 'casual' gamers with Wii's, and they simply don't care about Wiiware or Virtual Console. They only care about Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

I have played a few times online with voice chat on the 360, and let me tell you, it sucks in my honest opinion. Screw that, I'd much rather play in complete silence than listen to the garbage I had endured online...

True. The only thing you could put on your head that is dumber and more dangerous than an Xbox Live headset is a fucking shotgun.

Nintendo Soldiers should be referred to by their formal forum title, by the way, which is Wii-tard.

Besides, there is nothing Nintendo loves more than making and releasing official peripherals. A USB dongle is sure to arrive shortly, though it really would be easier if they updated the firmware to execute data from the SD card. The 'casual' gamers that Nintendo professes to worry about have digital cameras and cell phones with SD cards; they can figure it out.

Ed Oscuro
06-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Most of us who level the criticism are Nintendo fans/Wii owners from the beginning who simply had higher expectations than most people.
Next system launch you won't be fooled again, right? ;)

E Nice
06-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on Wii?

Melf
06-14-2008, 01:10 PM

That's what friends lists are for.