PDA

View Full Version : Marvel VS Capcom 2 is Not Rare, is it?

Kyle15
06-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I have someone trying to tell me on another forum that Marvel VS Capcom 2 is rare.
Isn't just uncommon? There are way too many copies on eBay and in Gamestops alone.
The high price-tag is merely because of the hype, but they say it is because of it's "rarity".

Thanks for your info! :)

djbeatmongrel
06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
all versions of MvC2 are just uncommon but the ps2 version especially is in the highest demand, thats why it sells for as mucg as it does.

Bojay1997
06-11-2008, 12:55 PM
The only time I consider something "rare" is if I can't find one to buy in the condition I want regardless of price. There are very few rare items. Everything else might be uncommon or hard to find at a reasonable price, but it's not rare.

dao2
06-11-2008, 01:01 PM
I have someone trying to tell me on another forum that Marvel VS Capcom 2 is rare.
Isn't just uncommon? There are way too many copies on eBay and in Gamestops alone.
The high price-tag is merely because of the hype, but they say it is because of it's "rarity".

Thanks for your info! :)

no, it's just one of the best (if not the best, personally I like the original the best ;p) fighting game and is much sought after, like FF7

RadiantSvgun
06-11-2008, 01:25 PM
No, its just popular and in demand. Like stated earlier, the ps2 version is high up there. With all the reprinting going around, I'm surprised that MVC2 doesn't have one yet.

Captain Wrong
06-11-2008, 01:28 PM
@Radiant, a reprint is out of the question I believe as Capcom no longer has rights to the Marvel characters. That's the whole reason for the high price on this game. It's in demand, probably wasn't a huge seller anyway and the chances of a reprint (or DLC release) are pretty low.

And no, it's not rare. It's kind of up there with FFVII as a game that goes for stupid money but really isn't hard to find.

Princess-Isabela
06-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Dreamcast version rules them all ^^

djbeatmongrel
06-11-2008, 01:41 PM
MvC2 is shitty compared to lots of other fighting games out there imo. it has FF7 syndrome: subpar, overpriced, and theres other games better than it.

gum_drops
06-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Rare in the general sense, no. Its one of those rare in the wild games that is tough to find at a flea market, pawn shop of anywhere else for a low price.

Tommy
06-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I actually have the game and it's "fun" if you are a diehard fighting genre fan, but for the casual gamer, I would say "uhh" I just so happend to get it for 10 dollars at a garage sale in San Diego.

otaku
06-11-2008, 02:24 PM
agree dc version rules.

Emuaust
06-11-2008, 04:31 PM
MvC2 is shitty compared to lots of other fighting games out there imo. it has FF7 syndrome: subpar, overpriced, and theres other games better than it.

I do have to agree with this to a degree, dont get me wrong I had awsome fun with this game, a lot like FF7, although it is dwarfed by much superior fighters.

Lothars
06-11-2008, 08:14 PM

Wow, I have to disagree with you, I think your totally wrong especially MVC 2 is one of the best fighting games.

walrusmonger
06-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I actually have the game and it's "fun" if you are a diehard fighting genre fan, but for the casual gamer, I would say "uhh" I just so happend to get it for 10 dollars at a garage sale in San Diego.

It's actually one of the rare games where casual gamers can have just as much fun as hardcore gamers. You can pretty much mash the buttons and get combos, or practice till your fingertips bleed and learn all of the little extra ways to extend your combos. There's plenty to unlock for single player mode's concern, and it never seems to get old when two players that know how to play have at it.

Overall one of the greatest fighting games ever- doesn't mean that it's not broken in some ways, or could be better in others. Nothing is perfect :)

djbeatmongrel
06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, I have to disagree with you, I think your totally wrong especially MVC 2 is one of the best fighting games.

Well you mean to tell me MvC 2 is a balanced well rounded fighter that requires something that resembles skill out of the players?

Really when it comes to pure balance for vs fighting in just the 2d realm my list doesn't contain mvc2 at all even if i stretched it to a top 10.

In no order:
Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core
King of Fighters XI
Fatal Fury: MotW
Hakuto no Ken
Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Limited
Last Blade 1 and 2
Samurai Shodown 5
Arcana Heart
Cyberbots: Fullmetal Madness
Street Fighter 3

and easily a few more before a mention of mvc2

digitalpress
06-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Well you mean to tell me MvC 2 is a balanced well rounded fighter that requires something that resembles skill out of the players?

<snip list which actually includes Cyberbots>

Oh, STOP.

Good fighting games aren't about balance, and I'm sure if you're a fan you know that. You KNOW that bad balance makes some good matches between shitty players and experienced ones. More importantly you know that good fighting games are about the tightness of the controls, the liveliness of the moves, and the fairness of the game. In these regards, there is no equal to MvsC2.

Go ahead and put it below your top ten. You're in the minority, my friend.

Poofta!
06-11-2008, 09:54 PM
The only time I consider something "rare" is if I can't find one to buy in the condition I want regardless of price. There are very few rare items. Everything else might be uncommon or hard to find at a reasonable price, but it's not rare.

quoted for truth.

Baldur's Gate Gold Edition is rare

marvel vs capcom is not.

Blitzwing256
06-11-2008, 09:59 PM
screw you all, fighting masters is CLEARLY the master of all 2d fighters, and everyone who disagrees with me is stupid!

djbeatmongrel
06-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh, STOP.

Good fighting games aren't about balance, and I'm sure if you're a fan you know that. You KNOW that bad balance makes some good matches between shitty players and experienced ones. More importantly you know that good fighting games are about the tightness of the controls, the liveliness of the moves, and the fairness of the game. In these regards, there is no equal to MvsC2.

Go ahead and put it below your top ten. You're in the minority, my friend.

Hey dude, Cyberots on Saturn is actually really good. But really I just don't think MvC2 is all that great and i don't think its worth the lofty price tag.

ubersaurus
06-11-2008, 10:31 PM

Really when it comes to pure balance for vs fighting in just the 2d realm my list doesn't contain mvc2 at all even if i stretched it to a top 10.

In no order:
King of Fighters XI
Hakuto no Ken
Last Blade 1 and 2
Samurai Shodown 5
Arcana Heart
Street Fighter 3

KOF XI, MOTW, Sam Sho 5, Last Blade, and Street Fighter 3 all have some serious balance issues. If that's your criteria for quality, I think your list is a bit off.

Marvel 2 is good for the sole reason that it's accessible and fun for casual and serious fighting game fans. There's no way it would be as popular as it is all this time later if it weren't. Sure, only a handful of characters are worth a damn in tournament play, but not everyone plays at that level. And it is damn well a skill game; you have to have mad execution and reflexes to get half of the shit off that REALLY wins.

Mind you, I personally am not a fan of the game. But I can certainly see why it's held in such high regard, and why the price of the game on like, every system is ridiculous.

Also I disagree with Joe, I think balance is a mark of a good fighter. It's not the only one, but for folks like me, it's a major one.

djbeatmongrel
06-11-2008, 10:37 PM
KOF XI, MOTW, Sam Sho 5, Last Blade, and Street Fighter 3 all have some serious balance issues. If that's your criteria for quality, I think your list is a bit off.

I will say in comparison overall they are on the issue of balance compared to MvC2. Again thats me.

ubersaurus
06-11-2008, 10:53 PM
I will say in comparison overall they are on the issue of balance compared to MvC2. Again thats me.

I'm not so sure. Take KOF XI. I love the game, but Gato, Kula, EX Kyo, and to a lesser extent Oswald pretty much dominate the rest of the cast. They're powerful because they can do extremely damaging combos without any meter...the sort that other characters would need meter to do. You can't win in that game at any competitive level without one or more of those characters on your team.

MOTW? Kevin Rian dominates the rest of the cast. Sam Sho 5? Yoshitora, and if the player is good, Kusaregedo, eat everyone else for free. SF3 at anything resembling even a mid level consists of Chun Li, Yun, Ken, and Makoto. And Zantetsu is a monster in Last Blade.

Whereas in marvel you've got the Big 4: Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, and Cable- and about 10 or so other characters that can fight with the proper assists(or as assists, are really good). For a game of 56 characters it's not exactly pretty, but there's some variety there.

Princess-Isabela
06-11-2008, 11:36 PM

In no order:
King of Fighters XI
Hakuto no Ken
Last Blade 1 and 2
Samurai Shodown 5
Arcana Heart
Street Fighter 3

KOF XI, Hakuto no Ken balanced?
please...
Marvel vs Capcom 2 is a great fighting game, for casuals and hardcore gamers alike,
it's not a mindless button masher by any means.
I see FFVII syndrome again on these boards, (apparently is popular to bash title for the sake of it...)

RadiantSvgun
06-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Could have sworn we were talking about if MvC2 is rare or not...

Superman
06-12-2008, 03:21 AM

Me too!

So, to answer the question simply, no, Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is not rare, just less common and in demand.

Kyle15
06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks a lot! :)
I knew I was right about this one.

djbeatmongrel
06-12-2008, 02:23 PM

we were but me mentioning that i personally didnt think it really deserves the lofty price tag led to the shit storm derail. my apologies.

megamaniaman
06-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Wow, just did a price check with PS2 Marvel vs. Capcom and they go anywhere from $80 to $110. The video game hobby is definitely an interesting one.
Game collector one "Look what I have. An 8 year old boxed marvel vs Capcom 2 PS2 game that they sell 50 a week on Ebay."
Game collector two "Wow, I would pay $100 for that right on the spot."

Game collector one "No, way this is a keeper!"

Game collector three "Look what I have a 25 year old boxed Frogger for the Atari 2600 game that they sell about 1 or 2 a week boxed on Ebay. One of the most iconic games of all time!"

Game collector two "how much did you pay for that?"

Game collector three "About $15 including shipping."

GAme collector two "Man you got ripped off!"

diskoboy
06-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I always thought the Xbox version was considered more "rare" than the PS2 version.

Didn't the PS2 version get a slightly larger print run?

I have a Dreamcast Japanese import.... how much are they going for, lately? Sucks I was never able to get online with it.

norkusa
06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
I always thought the Xbox version was considered more "rare" than the PS2 version.

Didn't the PS2 version get a slightly larger print run?

I think the PS2 version is easier to find than the Xbox one. At least in my area it is. But I suppose that's true for all multi-platform games since the PS2 versions always sold more copies.

Wasn't the Xbox version originally supposed to come with Live multiplayer but it got yanked at the last minute? That would have been sweeeeeet. And being backwards compatible with the 360, it would have made used prices even more insane.

blissfulnoise
06-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow, just did a price check with PS2 Marvel vs. Capcom and they go anywhere from $80 to $110. The video game hobby is definitely an interesting one.

Much like any other hobby quality, rarity, and age aren't necessarily defining factors to determining price. Demand will always outstrip other factors. It just so happens that some of the most in demand items in a hobby will ultimately be rare, of high quality, and older.

There were a lot more copies of Parker Bros. Frogger produced than Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the PS2. Not mention that most people missed the boat with that title back at release while everyone had Frogger.

And there are a lot fewer Atari 2600 collectors than there are people who want to play MvC2. Release it on XBLA, I assure you that demand will start to sink on eBay. A lot of those buys are from people who actually want to play it, not necessarily "collect" it.

blissfulnoise
06-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I have a Dreamcast Japanese import.... how much are they going for, lately? Sucks I was never able to get online with it.

$20 - $30 was the last I saw.

I bought it as soon as it came out in Japan via therage.com back in the day. $90 shipped. They had it to my door in 48 hours. Worth every penny I spent.

It's still the definitive version of the game.

kainemaxwell
06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
No, its just popular and in demand. Like stated earlier, the ps2 version is high up there. With all the reprinting going around, I'm surprised that MVC2 doesn't have one yet.

I always thought the DC version was the rarest?

megamaniaman
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Much like any other hobby quality, rarity, and age aren't necessarily defining factors to determining price. Demand will always outstrip other factors. It just so happens that some of the most in demand items in a hobby will ultimately be rare, of high quality, and older.

There were a lot more copies of Parker Bros. Frogger produced than Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on the PS2. Not mention that most people missed the boat with that title back at release while everyone had Frogger.

And there are a lot fewer Atari 2600 collectors than there are people who want to play MvC2. Release it on XBLA, I assure you that demand will start to sink on eBay. A lot of those buys are from people who actually want to play it, not necessarily "collect" it.

Not really complaining. I did it for comedies sake. Yes there are factors for why this is the case. The two prime ones are

1. PS2 is a current system and the Atari 2600 is not.
2. People are buying Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 to play more than collect.

I agree that Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 will go down in price. Anyone thinking they will make their money back if they chose to sell 5 years down the road is a fool.

DJ Daishi
06-12-2008, 06:43 PM
KOF XI, Hakuto no Ken balanced?
please...

agreed, both of those games have severe balance issues...and why the hell is Arcana Heart on the list!?! That game is infamous for its balance issues...its even worse than Melty Blood.

DJ Daishi
06-12-2008, 06:46 PM

will never happen since Capcom no longer has the rights to make and/or publish any games with the Marvel name.

DKTheArcadeRat
06-12-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm not so sure. Take KOF XI. I love the game, but Gato, Kula, EX Kyo, and to a lesser extent Oswald pretty much dominate the rest of the cast. They're powerful because they can do extremely damaging combos without any meter...the sort that other characters would need meter to do. You can't win in that game at any competitive level without one or more of those characters on your team.

MOTW? Kevin Rian dominates the rest of the cast.

Issue 1: You forgot Duck on that KOF XI list, I can tear through many sets of characters with him without getting close to being knocked out, he can combo and do a ton of damage if you get the right sets of combos right.

Issue 2: Kevin does not dominate the cast at all. HOTARU does. I play as her all the time and noticed she can knock almost anyone out of their super, can combo into her super, can start her super and knock out other characters supers, and seemingly has preference for 90% of moves. Kevin is nearly worthless in my opinion, he isn't bad but he is far from dominating the game

Issue 3: MvC2, I haven't played this game in forever, I have really wanted to play it for a long while, I simply can not justify paying the huge price it commands, I understand others want to play it, but there have to be enough copies around that people are holding on to just to wait for the price to go even higher. This game needs a reprint or re-release on a different console...couldn't they put the first and second MvC on one disc for a newer system? That would probably sell like hotcakes.

DJ Daishi
06-12-2008, 07:03 PM
This game needs a reprint or re-release on a different console...couldn't they put the first and second MvC on one disc for a newer system? That would probably sell like hotcakes.

read my previous post

CosmicMonkey
06-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Capcom recently held a poll to see what games people would like them to bring to PSN/XBL. One of the choices in the poll was MvC2. So if they don't have the rights to make/publish any more Marvel games, why list it in the poll; especially as it was (inevitably?) the most popular choice?

Not sure what's going on there then, but an announcement for Marvel vs Capcom 2 HD Remix would make me soil my underwear quite heavily.

ubersaurus
06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Issue 1: You forgot Duck on that KOF XI list, I can tear through many sets of characters with him without getting close to being knocked out, he can combo and do a ton of damage if you get the right sets of combos right.

Issue 2: Kevin does not dominate the cast at all. HOTARU does. I play as her all the time and noticed she can knock almost anyone out of their super, can combo into her super, can start her super and knock out other characters supers, and seemingly has preference for 90% of moves. Kevin is nearly worthless in my opinion, he isn't bad but he is far from dominating the game

Issue 3: MvC2, I haven't played this game in forever, I have really wanted to play it for a long while, I simply can not justify paying the huge price it commands, I understand others want to play it, but there have to be enough copies around that people are holding on to just to wait for the price to go even higher. This game needs a reprint or re-release on a different console...couldn't they put the first and second MvC on one disc for a newer system? That would probably sell like hotcakes.

1: Duck King is good, but he doesn't dominate the rest of the cast, like Kula and Gato can.

2: Kevin is utterly dominate, due to his amazing combality, especially once you get breaking down. If he catches you, say goodbye to at least half your life...WITHOUT using a super. He's beatable, but he has a clear advantage over the rest of the cast.The only catch is you have to be very familiar with him to really use him to his potential.

As I understand it, Capcom has the ability to rerelease the Marvel vs. games. They just don't have the license to make new ones.

Sinnbox
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
It's funny my local game store calls any classic that is worth more than $10 rare, It cracks me up.

The 1 2 P
06-16-2008, 02:33 AM
So getting back on track, the PS2 and Xbox versions of this game arent rare, just less common and in demand. I have one of each and I have found a few in the wild. Although this game isn't as readily available as FF7, I definitey don't think it deserves the prices it goes for...just like FF7.

Captain Wrong
06-16-2008, 08:47 AM
So getting back on track, the PS2 and Xbox versions of this game arent rare, just less common and in demand. I have one of each and I have found a few in the wild. Although this game isn't as readily available as FF7, I definitey don't think it deserves the prices it goes for...just like FF7.

Correct.

djbeatmongrel
06-19-2008, 04:37 PM
this made me laugh http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tag/725293921.html

The 1 2 P
06-19-2008, 08:31 PM
this made me laugh http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tag/725293921.html

Why? Overpriced craigs list ads are a dime a dozen.

djbeatmongrel
06-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Why? Overpriced craigs list ads are a dime a dozen.

dont take away my laughter