PDA

View Full Version : The Wolf of the Battlefield:Commando 3

G-Boobie
06-12-2008, 04:55 AM
I got home and downloaded this after work: I didn't know much about it, other than I loved the first two(being Commando and Mercs), and my girlfriend has been wanting more games we can play together. I figure Capcom has been on a roll lately: what could go wrong?

I've only played the first two missions before going back to Ninja Gaiden II, but I like it so far. Backbone had something to do with it, which caused me some concern, but I haven't run into any crippling problems yet. There is some slowdown, which is weird since the graphics and AI are far from taxing. Oh well.

I'm not sure if I like the Cartoon Network meets Team Fortress 2 art style yet, though, and I haven't tried to play on Live yet. So far, I like it overall. What do you guys think?

spoon
06-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Honestly, I'll be downloading this for the SF II beta. Is that available yet or is that something we have to wait for?

I will be downloading the game this weekend.

heybtbm
06-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I played the demo with the intention to buy the full version one of these days. From what little I played (the demo only lets you play the 1st level) it was a lot of fun. I'd agree the art style is bordering on lame, but this is probably due to the developer trying to appeal to teens/20's demographic. It's not really noticeable once you start playing anyway.

Sudo
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Honestly, I'll be downloading this for the SF II beta. Is that available yet or is that something we have to wait for?

I will be downloading the game this weekend.

Beta starts on the 25th, I believe.

Xexyz
06-12-2008, 10:28 AM
So did you download it for the PS3 or 360? I heard the PS3 version was released a week ago, so does anyone know of the 360 one is up on Live now?

EDIT: Backbone Entertainments involvement with the game is that they developed the entire thing. They're also the guys responsible for the upcoming 1942 remake.

Sudo
06-12-2008, 10:35 AM
The 360 version is out now, as well.

otaku
06-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Just downloaded and played the 360 version. Pretty cool. Not sure If I'll buy it or not (probably not) but it was fun.

diskoboy
06-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I have several problems with this game.

In the Game Over screen, it's asks if you want to continue. When you hit A, it sends you right back to the title screen.

There is massive slowdown in several sections.

The art style reminds me of the Powerpuff Girls, for some reason.

It's a decent shooter, but I think it was rushed. I honestly think I downloaded it for the SSF2THDR Beta.

Blitzwing256
06-12-2008, 03:13 PM
its alot of fun, I tried playig it online, but unfortuatnly people are completely retarded!, i joined a 3 way game and the other people just kept running around on the bottom of the screen shooting guys as they showed up without progressing at all..

played up to the point with the jeep on level 1 and they just didn't understand the concept of scrolling forward.

still a fun game but i'll stick to the 1player version ;-)

rbudrick
06-12-2008, 04:53 PM
I loved the first two(being Commando and Mercs),

Wait, Mercs is the sequel to Commando? How's that? Ialways figured it was Bionic Commando.

-Rob

Xexyz
06-12-2008, 11:42 PM
Pressing A to skip back to the title screen kind of makes sense in a way. With arcade to console ports, or in this case, a home arcade style game, when presented with the continue screen, a face button is usually mapped to spam the count down counter to 0, while Start is used to execute a continue.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Wait, Mercs is the sequel to Commando? How's that? Ialways figured it was Bionic Commando.

-Rob

Bionic Commando both the Arcade and the NES games, are set in the same Capcom Commando universe, but are not really spiritual/top-down genre "sequels" to Commando.

I've read that apparently "Super Joe" from Commando is the driver in Speed Rumbler as well!

Strange stuff indeed, all very cool games.

On topic ... I downloaded Commando 3 last week, and while it's pretty easy on the standard settings, and kind of bland in terms of bells and whistles, for a $10 title, it's nicely polished and very solid.

Plays a LOT like Mercs, feels more like a sequel to that then anything else, which makes sense.

G-Boobie
06-13-2008, 03:05 AM
So did you download it for the PS3 or 360? I heard the PS3 version was released a week ago, so does anyone know of the 360 one is up on Live now?

EDIT: Backbone Entertainments involvement with the game is that they developed the entire thing. They're also the guys responsible for the upcoming 1942 remake.

I got it for Xbox. I had some Super Bucks left over from something or another. I think they're the same except for the Street Fighter II demo.

Why the Hell is there so much slowdown, though? it's not like it's pushing advanced graphics, AI or physics. It gets REALLY annoying in the last couple levels.

GrandAmChandler
06-13-2008, 07:27 AM
I really enjoy MERCS, so I am loving WOTB: C3. One thing I don't get though, and maybe I am just missing the secret areas... It seems like to powerup your gun, it takes FOREVER. This makes the first two levels very taxing. Now, there may be one or two Powerup Icons located in hidden areas I haven't found yet, but I remember seeing only one gun powerup in Level 1, and no gun powerups in Level 2..... Hmm.....

-GAC-

otaku
06-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I went ahead and bought it. I suck at it though. Nice to get some achievements. Played online once already we made it to the mountains and died. Can't wait for the beta

Melf
06-13-2008, 09:39 PM
I'll be getting it shortly for a hands-on for Sega-16. We have an interview with the producer for next Tuesday as well!

digitalpress
06-16-2008, 02:40 AM
I expected more.

It's like playing Assault Heroes when you're out of your vehicle, waiting for it to respawn. In THIS game sometimes you're in a vehicle - at which point it feels almost like Assault Heroes. Sorry, but this isn't good enough for the Commando series. Good game, sure. But stealing from a better XBox Live game... tsk, tsk, Capcom.

Overall review: it's OK but if you've played Assault Heroes THIS game will surely disappoint you.

Xexyz
06-16-2008, 11:07 AM
On the contrary, I found this game to be better than the Assult Heroes titles. I found Assault Heroes to be too slow moving, and Assault Heroes 2 didn't improve much on that aspect. Commando 3 has a fast pace to it, but overall, it still feels a bit hollow to me like the Assault Heroes titles. Backbone obviously took a lot of inspiration from Mercs when creating this game, but things like the cheesy flash art, drab 3D graphics, long drawn out levels, infrequent weapon power ups (seems like there's only 1 per stage which really sucks in 2 or 3 player mode), and that stupid isometric zoom out view (why couldn't they make it with a true top down view like the older ones?!) really take away from the arcade-like experience this game was supposed to have.

I hope the 1942 remake turns out better since Backbone Entertainment is also handling that one.

G-Boobie
06-17-2008, 02:46 AM
The game actually crashed on me yesterday. Like, froze up and dumped me to the fucking dashboard. This was after I died a bunch on the last level because of slowdown and bullets popping in.

This 360 is less than two weeks old (and is my fourth 360 to date), and it ran Ninja Gaiden II just fine for three hours. A test of Lumines Live confirmed it was the game.

ATTENTION! I HEREBY COIN A NEW TERM FOR CAPCOM DOWNLOADABLE GAMES PRODUCED BY 3RD PARTY STUDIOS: BACKBONED.

As in: "I really wanted to like Commando 3, but it had been Backboned".

Here's hoping for 1942. I hope because I never learn.

YoshiM
06-17-2008, 08:31 AM
I played through the demo and its just okay. I bumped the difficulty up a notch and that kept the enemies coming and put more pressure on me but overall I didn't get that warm sense of "whee!" while playing. It kinda sucks that enemies can sneak up behind you and you sometimes can't scroll the screen back down to see/take care of them. In that situation I *did* find that if you could see where the baddies were popping from you can just lay down fire to wipe the enemy out before you even see them, racking up points for a while. That felt cheap.

I'll stick to Assault Heroes.

Neil Koch
06-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I DLed the game on PSN and I like it. It's nothing really special, and probably a bit overpriced at $10, but I played through it and had a good time.

I do agree that there aren't enough power-ups, especially with the number of enemies you have to kill.

digitalpress
06-22-2008, 09:57 PM
I spent a little more time with this one, after reading the passionate exception above whilst also realizing that at 2:40am I might not be completely in my right mind (sober). Plus, I REALLY want to like the game as I'm a big fan of Commando and Mercs. Just look at my scores on the store's MAME machine!

Sorry, it's just plain lackluster. XBox 360 peeps, go get yourself Assault Heroes, which is much faster-paced, more diverse, and simply more fun.

I'm not giving up, on account of I've paid for the game and plan to get my money's worth. Is it a bad game, no way. But it just doesn't live up to its heritage and falls way short of others who may have captured the spotlight in advance of this release. In other words, I'll ALSO be playing a lot of Assault Heroes (and its sequel).

As always, game ON.

Xexyz
06-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Ugh, I've spent a bit of time with this game now, and it's now down to sub-par quality in my books. I still don't care for the Assault Heroes titles, but I think they (at least 2) are better games then this. It would have been nice if Capcom had an in-house development team work on this game. The levels are so drawn out...

rbudrick
06-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Bionic Commando both the Arcade and the NES games, are set in the same Capcom Commando universe, but are not really spiritual/top-down genre "sequels" to Commando.

Bah, Zelda II doesn't follow the formula set by the first, but it is the sequel. ;) I'm gonna believe what I want, heh heh.

So while set in the same universe, they are kind of different dimensions of it? I dunno. I always just figured that Super Joe was old as shit in Bionic Commando...as if Commando happened 20, 30, or 40 years prior.

I'm surprised Captain Commando wasn't used in any of the Commando games.

-Rob

FrakAttack
06-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Reminds me too much of Assault Heroes and the artwork is nauseating.

TallMike
06-25-2008, 11:50 AM
I bought the game and played it a few times with my brother. I've been enjoying it, although I never really played Assault Heroes too much, I might have to try the 2nd one again.