Shrek-N-Roll
Scramble
Tempest
Street Trace: NYC
Word Puzzle
New Rally-X
Cyberball 2072
Screwjumper!

[Source (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/26/download-now-or-forever-hold-your-points-potential-delisted-xb/)]

Are there any surprises? Is there anything in here that should be downloaded before its yanked?

I actually own one of these: Speedball 2, and I can confirm that it really really sucks. It came with the 360 that I bought used.

I'm disappointed that Yaris isn't going to be removed! :mad:

edit: I'm gonna add - I searched to see if this was posted before and didn't see it anywhere, but if it was I apologize in advance. It just seems like one of those things that I expect has already been posted though.

MegaDrive20XX
06-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Fatal Fury Special
Contra
Pac-Man
Frogger
Super Contra
Arkadian Warriors
Double Dragon

Those were the biggest surprises for me, because Arkadian Warriors is a pretty solid clone of D&D Heroes from the original Xbox imho.

The Arcade Contra's, I can understand, but still, weren't we all excited when it was announced?

Frogger is a surprise, since alot of people demand this classic when I speak with customers.

Fatal Fury Special is a crying shame, I do blame the controls, but why throw away such a great fighter?

Double Dragon. I'm still having glitches with it, so I'm still glad it's going away. Everytime I start the game, it thinks I'm playing the demo version of it.

Pac-Man, but Ms. Pac-Man remains? Weak sauce, sure Pac-Man CE is superb, but I kind of understand why, since Pac-Man is on everything that even remotely has a control or joystick on it.

swlovinist
06-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I know that alot of the older gamers who grew up with some of these classics are going to be very pissed. I think that it is a bad move for Microsoft to delist them, unless they are going to be avialable another way. Yet another reason why I dont like digital downloads...the only way you can get these things down the road will be to buy a used system

c0ldb33r
06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
What about re-downloading titles? I didn't even think of that. I was just thinking that you wouldn't be able to download them new, but I imagine that you won't be able to re-download them either (for instance, if you've purchased and deleted).

I call B.S. right there. Whether they're crappy games or not, you've paid for them.

edit: Were any of these games included on that xbox live arcade disc that was released?

Bojay1997
06-12-2008, 10:03 AM
What about re-downloading titles? I didn't even think of that. I was just thinking that you wouldn't be able to download them new, but I imagine that you won't be able to re-download them either (for instance, if you've purchased and deleted).

I call B.S. right there. Whether they're crappy games or not, you've paid for them.

edit: Were any of these games included on that xbox live arcade disc that was released?

Supposedly you will be able to re-download them. They just really want to clean up the clutter on the game list for people who are browsing. It's not about storage space or something like that.

roushimsx
06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm still really bummed about how the Speedball 2 remake turned out. :(

Daria
06-12-2008, 10:13 AM
NOOOOOOOO! Not ARKADIAN WARRIORS!!!!!!!

Seriously if you like Diablo inspired multiplayer hack & slash games download it before it's too late! I love that stupid game. I can't believe they're deleting it. It's not even that old.

le geek
06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Uhm this is a speculative list, based on reviews. I'm sure Frogger sold well enough to not be delisted...

NOTHING is official yet...

scooterb23
06-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Honestly, the only thing that really surprises me is Texas Hold 'Em. I figured that would have had a high attach rate.

I was at first thinking OH MAN I NEED TO BUY SOME GAMES.

But honestly, everytrhing on that list I really like playing is on MAME...so I can live w/o the achievement points.

otaku
06-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Most of these I'm cool with and can understand, a few not so much but they are available elsewhere for free etc so ...

le geek
06-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Sheesh can't you kids read?

:monkey:

heybtbm
06-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Uhm this is a speculative list, based on reviews. I'm sure Frogger sold well enough to not be delisted...

That makes more sense. This list contained too many titles to be believed.

Slate
06-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Here is a list of the titles to be (POTENTIALLY) removed from XBLA:

Crystal Quest
Texas Hold 'em
Contra
Pac-Man
Frogger
Root Beer Tapper
Super Contra
Soltrio Solitaire
Arkadian Warriors
Double Dragon
Tetris Splash

[Source (http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/26/download-now-or-forever-hold-your-points-potential-delisted-xb/)]

Are there any surprises? Is there anything in here that should be downloaded before its yanked?

Root Beer Tapper? Contra? TETRIS SPLASH? Pac man and Frogger, for cryin out loud? What a list. I know none of this is official, But what a list.

Pac man and Texas Hold 'em were both released on XBLA discs, though.

Cryomancer
06-12-2008, 12:09 PM
Whoa now, Mad Tracks? Cmon. That's a fun little game. Guess we better buy the expansions soon...

norkusa
06-12-2008, 02:19 PM
They should just remove any games that were originally made with trackball & spinner controls, like Gyrus, Tron, Centipede, etc. Those games NEVER translate well to regular controllers and always end up playing like crap.

Who wants to play Missile Command with a analog stick? Ugh. That's just common sense.

diskoboy
06-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Get rid of Novadrome.

That game was, without a doubt, the worst XBLA game, period.

Well... Okay. It's tied with Yaris.

Poofta!
06-12-2008, 03:26 PM
i dont see why they arent just changing their organization of the GUI and the way the games are presented? why not just lump these into a "B" category, im sure someone will want to pay/play at least one of those games... just doesnt make sense to me.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Supposedly you will be able to re-download them. They just really want to clean up the clutter on the game list for people who are browsing. It's not about storage space or something like that.
Well then, why don't they try like...organizing things a bit?

...word is bondage...

Bojay1997
06-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Well then, why don't they try like...organizing things a bit?

...word is bondage...

That's what they're doing. It's an effort to respond to developer complaints about too many mediocre titles being up at once while also removing stuff that isn't going to sell anyway and reducing the risk that people will be hesitant to buy more Xbox Live games after they get burned a few times on crap. Yes, they could add more categories or a different interface in theory, but at some point, having hundreds of titles up and available is overwhelming and leads to people just ignoring the service all together.

unwinddesign
06-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Arkadian Warriors -- so, so crap. I can't believe I bought it.
Ecco the Dolphin -- unplayable. Terrible. Boring. There aren't enough adjectives to describe it.
Geon -- interesting game in multiplayer, if you're stoned. If you're not, then it sucks.
Spyglass Board Games -- the sorriest excuse for board games ever. The free games included with Windows are better.
Cyberball 2072 -- terrible. I had some mild fun with it, but the game is so f'in bad it's a disgrace.
Texas Hold 'Em -- not going to get removed. Not that bad. Decent poker game, best on the 360 at least.

Those are the games I own off that list. They should remove way, way more games than just that list, but whatever. There needs to be better quality control. I used to buy the games each week -- I have 35 or so now -- but then I realized that most of them fucking suck. And the developers don't even have the kindness to make the achievements easy on their sucky games. You should be delisted, you bastards.

roushimsx
06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Yes, they could add more categories or a different interface in theory, but at some point, having hundreds of titles up and available is overwhelming and leads to people just ignoring the service all together.

Apparently the games will still be available for purchase and download, but they'll be buried deeper down in some way. Perhaps you'll have to find them through a manual name search of some sort.

ProgrammingAce
06-12-2008, 06:52 PM
This thread makes my brain hurt...

They're going to remove the titles that have less then a 6% conversion rate. That's astronomically low. If only 6% of the people who try your game decide it's worth buying, then you suck as a developer...

Sothy
06-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I was jazzed about the multiplayer wing commander when i first heard about it but yeah from what i hear its balls.

PapaStu
06-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Apparently the games will still be available for purchase and download, but they'll be buried deeper down in some way. Perhaps you'll have to find them through a manual name search of some sort.

uhhhh There is currently no 'manual name search'.

From whats been said, those that have the demo of it, or have previously downloaded the demo will still have the ability to access it and subsequently purchase it. It will be gone from general XBLA access for good though if you've never downloaded it before it goes away.

DJ Daishi
06-12-2008, 07:14 PM
fatal fury special is being de-listed(speculated)!?! the madness!!!!

digitalpress
06-12-2008, 07:25 PM
NOOOOOOOO! Not ARKADIAN WARRIORS!!!!!!!

Seriously if you like Diablo inspired multiplayer hack & slash games download it before it's too late! I love that stupid game. I can't believe they're deleting it. It's not even that old.

Roger that. It's one of the few games that I maxed out the achievements on and STILL play. Great Diablo-style game, it will be missed.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
06-12-2008, 07:40 PM
They're going to remove the titles that have less then a 6% conversion rate. That's astronomically low. If only 6% of the people who try your game decide it's worth buying, then you suck as a developer...
Or maybe they're good developers, but the games they develop only appeal to a small group of people.

Not being a mass market whore, doesn't make you a bad developer. Video games in general have a large enough audience now that there needs to be avenues for alternative developers (on consoles--Windows has provided an avenue for them for years). Services like XBLA should have been the solution since they provide such a cost-effective way to get a game to market that the sales don't have to be exceptionally high in order to turn a profit. This didn't really come to pass because of the restrictions put in place on how games finally get put up for downlaod and which games are allowed. Now Microsoft is just putting another nail in the coffin of what could have been a wonderful opportunity for small time developers of unique games.

I guess that's no surprise, though, because no one in the mainstream arms of the industry wants to see the market progress that way. Just like major Hollywood studios didn't want to see independent studios and independently produced features. Or like the major music labels didn't want to see the birth of the alternatives and independents. Ultimately, though, just like with movies and music did in their own time, the video game market will stagnate to point of collapse if viable outlets don't appear for alternative and independent game developers with non-mainstream visions.

...word is bondage...

ProgrammingAce
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Xbox Live isn't a viable platform for indy developers anyway, that's not really an issue. It costs ~$200,000 to get a title listed on XBLA in the first place between ESRB rating and certification.

This sweep is really only to get shitty games off the marketplace.

Skelix
06-13-2008, 11:32 AM
uhhhh There is currently no 'manual name search'.

From whats been said, those that have the demo of it, or have previously downloaded the demo will still have the ability to access it and subsequently purchase it. It will be gone from general XBLA access for good though if you've never downloaded it before it goes away.

If this is how it's going to work then I have no problem with the system. With the larger hard drive space you can download all of these games (demo at least). Then grab it later.

The only part that scares me is due to replacing numerous 360s, most of my games were originally downloaded on different consoles than the one I'm using now. I need to be connected to Xbox live to play them.

I'd be upset if I could no longer play the stuff I paid for!

heybtbm
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
The only part that scares me is due to replacing numerous 360s, most of my games were originally downloaded on different consoles than the one I'm using now. I need to be connected to Xbox live to play them.

I'd be upset if I could no longer play the stuff I paid for!

This will be changed with the next update. Your games will be attached to your current 360 (regardless of how many you go through). No XBL connection is required to play titles purchased on a different 360 from now on.

Captain Wrong
06-13-2008, 02:34 PM

QFT, sheesh.

Skelix
06-15-2008, 09:45 AM
This will be changed with the next update. Your games will be attached to your current 360 (regardless of how many you go through). No XBL connection is required to play titles purchased on a different 360 from now on.

Games I already downloaded before the new update? Or just games we download after the update?

And didn't notice if you were the person who said before if you had the trial/original it would always be upgradable/re-downloadable for you.

What if you have a trial to a game you downloaded, then you deleted it and then it is removed from Live. Could you then re-download it and then install the full version?

I guess what I'm asking is could I download the trials to all Xbox live arcade games now, delete them and still always have access to those games? (trial and full version?)