PDA

View Full Version : The Conduit: Finally, a Wii game that looks interesting!

diskoboy
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
These photos are looking pretty sweet. Almost Xbox 360 quality gfx!

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/photos/the-conduit/858710/

walrusmonger
06-12-2008, 06:38 PM
it looks good for a wii game, but at 480p max it still will look no better than an xbox game. hopefully it doesn't control poorly or give people headaches like red steel did.

CosmicMonkey
06-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I've watched the trailer and High Voltage Software's Wii tech demo over on IGN Wii and I'm quite impressed. Hopefully we have another decent must-buy Wii game on our hands.

But yes, it is a shame the Wii only does 480p. At least if it did 720p it'd be able to stand it's ground for a while, considering most 360/PS3 games seem to only be 720p.

c0ldb33r
06-12-2008, 09:26 PM
it looks good for a wii game, but at 480p max it still will look no better than an xbox game.
I think I must be the only person left that couldn't care less about 480/720/1080.

I don't really notice a huge difference, or would really care if I could notice it.

Soviet Conscript
06-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I think I must be the only person left that couldn't care less about 480/720/1080.

I don't really notice a huge difference, or would really care if I could notice it.

did you forget to put on your glasses?

i'm just kiddin ya.

honestly though, i don't see how someone couldn't see a diffrence. i even got a wow from my gf when she saw a game in hi-def and she is usually not so great with or doesn't care aless about those kinda things.

i will say when i first started playing COD4 in 720P i didn't really find it jaw draopping. then i went back and played some 480i stuff. after going back to COD4 after that i saw the diffrence

unwinddesign
06-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't know what 360 games you play, but that doesn't look anywhere near the quality of Xbox 360 graphics. Interesting game, to be sure, but let's not kid ourselves here.

diskoboy
06-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't know what 360 games you play, but that doesn't look anywhere near the quality of Xbox 360 graphics. Interesting game, to be sure, but let's not kid ourselves here.

I said 'almost'.

It looks damn good for a Wii game, though.

Icarus Moonsight
06-13-2008, 01:53 AM
These photos are looking pretty sweet. Almost Xbox 360 quality gfx!

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/photos/the-conduit/858710/

Careful now! We don't want to wake the children. They tend to be cranky if they don't get their naps in. LOL

zektor
06-13-2008, 09:31 PM

No, not the only person :) Then again, I still have SD TV's (I can't even get progressive on these things), but family obligations are still more important than replacing a TV right now. Even if I did, I doubt the res would matter much to me anyways...

notoriusvig
06-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I assume the subject title only pertains to graphics and not gameplay, right?

Rob2600
06-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I must be the only person left that couldn't care less about 480/720/1080.

As of right now, I agree. The best looking 1080p games still don't look as realistic as a real-life 480i TV show. Why waste all of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3's processing power on the extra resolution when it could be used to make amazing, 99% real looking 480i/480p games instead? Besides, the extra resolution usually results in lower frame rates.

What would gamers rather have, 1080p games that still look fake and "gamey" or 480i games that look as realistic as a TV show?

Poofta!
06-14-2008, 06:31 PM
you probably still have a shitty 27" tube from the 90s, thats why.

walrusmonger
06-14-2008, 07:06 PM
As of right now, I agree. The best looking 1080p games still don't look as realistic as a real-life 480i TV show. Why waste all of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3's processing power on the extra resolution when it could be used to make amazing, 99% real looking 480i/480p games instead? Besides, the extra resolution usually results in lower frame rates.

What would gamers rather have, 1080p games that still look fake and "gamey" or 480i games that look as realistic as a TV show?

480i looks like crap on a HDTV. some wii games look OK if they're widescreen, but a lot of them also look like crap. hell, red steel was the ONLY game to ever make me feel motion sickness while playing.

Rob2600
06-14-2008, 08:28 PM
480i looks like crap on a HDTV. some wii games look OK if they're widescreen, but a lot of them also look like crap.

I think it depends on the HDTV. I assume cheaper HDTVs have inferior upscaling chips, while expensive HDTVs have better upscaling chips. It makes a really big difference.

Anyway, under ideal conditions, would you rather play a 1080p game that looks "video gamey" and tends to run choppy or a 480p game that looks as realistic as a standard-definition TV show and maintains a smooth frame rate?

walrusmonger
06-14-2008, 09:21 PM
I think it depends on the HDTV. I assume cheaper HDTVs have inferior upscaling chips, while expensive HDTVs have better upscaling chips. It makes a really big difference.

Anyway, under ideal conditions, would you rather play a 1080p game that looks "video gamey" and tends to run choppy or a 480p game that looks as realistic as a standard-definition TV show and maintains a smooth frame rate?

I have a "rather nice" aquos (as in, not the highest end model but not the lowest) and while they're not as good as sony for upscaling, they're not bad. The only Wii game that looked ok was Mario Galaxy, but it was still a little "meh" because of the resolution. I also didn't play tons of Wii stuff and sold my system twice now, but what can you do. I do know that 480i will look like crap on just about any HDTV though, but I'm basing this as a comparing to 480i on SDTV vs HDTV and also how horrible it looks in comparison to native 720p/1080i/1080p stuff.

You cant compare a recorded video to 3D generated game worlds. But if you're playing in 480p that real looking world is going to look like ass on an HDTV. Any game system that could produce photo realism at 480p would be able to do a decent job producing awesome graphics at 1080p, but not the other way around.

The truth is, once you go HD you don't want to go back... unless you have a thing for light gun games.

spoon
06-15-2008, 03:53 AM
I'm not usually one to jump into one of these mudslinging matches, but, I gotta agree with Poofta! and Walrus.

I also have an Aquos, a 52 inch that was the highest end model at the time. I have the Wii running at 480p and the 360 and PS3 running HDMI whatever the highest resolution is available for the game.

Unless you are a pirate and blind in one eye, or maybe both eyes and have two peg legs and peg arms, No Wii game comes close to either of those systems when it comes to graphics or how smooth they run. I think in time there will be, but, it's probably a year or two off.

Both systems have games that run like shit. Both have games that look beautiful. Not all the games look "fakey" or "gamey" on the two higher end systems. Also, this could be a result of the art direction or lighting chosen. I can say that some of the character models in certain games have a plastic look to them.

I commend the big N for what they did and the chance they took. Lets not fool ourselves though.........

I was truly blown away the first time I played an HD system in full HD. makes you never want to go to a friends house and play that has a shitty TV.

Nick Goracke
06-16-2008, 07:34 PM

False dilemma.

Wolfrider31
06-17-2008, 12:39 AM
no, I'm with you there I don't care about high def either.

And this looksok but it is an Fps so I'll reserve judgement until I play the thing

Corb135
06-17-2008, 01:19 AM
To be honest, the graphics look rather blocky. The 360/PS3 basically CANNOT allow that in their games. I agree with a few of the previous statements: it will look like an Xbox game.

Just look at the chairs in the 4th picture! blocks with very poor texturing. In picture 14, it LOOKS decent until you really look closely. There is a sincere lack of environmental awe in the air. The oxygen tank looking things look barely credible, and the gun looks poorly designed.

To be fair, it is in the development stages, so improvements *could* occur. But it seems like they won't considering some of the praise it has gotten. What I'm trying to say is this: it would be folly to compare this to a 360 game or a PS3 game. The Wii is the most graphically limited console this GEN, as we all know. Welcome back to the Xbox everybody.

Garry Silljo
06-17-2008, 03:27 AM
did you forget to put on your glasses?

i'm just kiddin ya.

honestly though, i don't see how someone couldn't see a diffrence.

I watched my first blue-ray at my inlaws the other day. I can honestly say I don't see it.

The 1 2 P
06-17-2008, 03:30 AM
This definitely looks cool and all but do you remember what happened to the last Wii fps exclusive that looked promising in the beginning? I'm talking about you Red Steel:( Hopefully this turns out better than that one.

Sothy
06-17-2008, 03:46 AM
anyone wanna play with me?

My friend id is 5328765986532854306543w675327532653276532765327253 69732653276532765327653276532765329875326987698765 32

Icarus Moonsight
06-17-2008, 04:45 AM
I tried to add you and it said the code was invalid. Are you sure that's the whole thing? :puppydogeyes:

lendelin
06-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Do the Nintendo faithful really have to engage in PR babble? Metroid looked great on the Gamecube, and so will Conduit...the point is that these graphics are last gen. They cannot compete with the 360 and the PS3, and if someone doesn't see a difference he needs a serious eye exam or if the evergreen of the law of diminishing returns shows up, just plug in the first Ratchet on the PS2 and the new Ratchet.

If someone seriously wants to tells me that graphics aren't important or the meaningless 'they look fine to me' (which is an indirect admittance that Wii graphics are inferior) I suggest to get an HDTV or to get off Nintendos payroll...yes, it is that blind.

As long as blind followers don't admit that the Wii is from a hardware standpoint second rate (includes the quality of the motion sensing) and the overall gamelibrary is third rate, they cannot seriously grasp the importance of the Wii. The gap between the quality of the Wii and its sales numbers is huge, the strengths of the Wii go beyond hardware and software quality; and it is there that it will influnce game design in the future.

A bad system sells incredibly well based on its instant accessibility and appeal of motion sensing suited for family games and party games, new sociodemographics came into gaming, this is a huge success and in the long-term the only important aspect of the Wii.

...but do we really have to make something subpar into something wonderful repeating nonsensical PR statements or scrape the bottom of the barrel for cheap and blabla reasoning?

If a track and field department of a University wants to sell me a one-handed 100m-sprinter as an advantage I get mistrustful. Looking at Wii games noone in his right mind can't ignore their shortcomings beyond short party games, the interesting and great games could run on the GC w/0 the trivial use of dumb-downed motion controls.

Considering the quality of the hardware and the quality of the overall game library the Wii is an outrageously overpriced system. There isn't a lot of appeal to it, the only positive aspect is that it makes Nintendo rich and allowed it to survive.

The Wii is an incredible economic success, from a quality standpoint it is a flop.

icbrkr
06-17-2008, 12:16 PM
OMGZ.. the WiII is Sooo GC 1.5... itz gonna FAIL and it sux0rs compppared to the grapHIXXX on the 360 or PS3 and ITZ GOT LAME casual gameZZZ (or isn't mature, has shovelware, or whatever the rant is of the day here).

Seriously, aren't we about done with this by now? It's been over a year and a half.

Rob2600
06-17-2008, 12:46 PM
the Wii is from a hardware standpoint second rate (includes the quality of the motion sensing)

It seems that companies like EA, Factor 5, and High Voltage are finally starting to push the Wii graphically. The Conduit looks good. Supposedly, Factor 5's game is going to look amazing. I wish it'd show some screen shots already! EA's Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 is looking really good, too...and, for all the naysayers, it will have 1-to-1 swing controls:

IGN - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 Wii preview (http://wii.ign.com/articles/882/882148p1.html)

Looking at Wii games noone in his right mind can't ignore their shortcomings beyond short party games

Wow, you're still using that old, silly argument? Someone needs to get off Microsoft's payroll. :)

carlcarlson
06-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Someone needs to get off Microsoft's payroll. :)

...said the Wii fanboy.

Sorry, couldn't help it. Carry on (and nothing against you Rob).

lendelin
06-17-2008, 01:00 PM
OMGZ.. the WiII is Sooo GC 1.5... itz gonna FAIL and it sux0rs compppared to the grapHIXXX on the 360 or PS3 and ITZ GOT LAME casual gameZZZ (or isn't mature, has shovelware, or whatever the rant is of the day here).

Seriously, aren't we about done with this by now? It's been over a year and a half.

I have no comment to your response, only a a curious question: what in the world does "sux0rs" mean? I'm a foreigner, is that new English? (not an ironic question)

Rob2600
06-17-2008, 01:05 PM
...said the Wii fanboy.

Sorry, couldn't help it. Carry on (and nothing against you Rob).

It's cool. I can take it. :)

The only reason I wrote that was in response to lendelin's comment:

If someone seriously wants to tells me that graphics aren't important ... get off Nintendos payroll

And as my smiley face suggested, I was only teasing.

Neil Koch
06-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I have no comment to your response, only a a curious question: what in the world does "sux0rs" mean? I'm a foreigner, is that new English? (not an ironic question)

It's idiotic internet slang for "sucks".

I'm not going to jump into the whole "merits of the Wii" argument that is popping up here yet again, but I don't see really what's so special about this game's graphics, even by Wii standards. They don't look any better than Metroid Prime 3. And honestly, the Wii really doesn't need any more FPS games to begin with.

lendelin
06-17-2008, 01:16 PM
It seems that companies like EA, Factor 5, and High Voltage are finally starting to push the Wii graphically. The Conduit looks good. Supposedly, Factor 5's game is going to look amazing. I wish it'd show some screen shots already! EA's Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 is looking really good, too...and, for all the naysayers, it will have 1-to-1 swing controls:

IGN - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 Wii preview (http://wii.ign.com/articles/882/882148p1.html)

I don't get it; supposedly graphics aren't important for gamers, but as soon as a Wii game reaches GC-Metroid Prime standards it gets praised for its "amazing" looks. I hope you won't become a graphics whore. :)

Wow, you're still using that old, silly argument? Someone needs to get off Microsoft's payroll. :)

Not so old at all and still valid for people with decent eyesight, certainly not silly.

...and we'll wait for the 1:1 swing controls, maybe they will turn out well, maybe they won't, games shouldn't be evaluated by pre-release PR- statements of the publisher.

lendelin
06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
It's idiotic internet slang for "sucks".

AHH...

Nick Goracke
06-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Supposedly, Factor 5's game is going to look amazing. I wish it'd show some screen shots already!

I thought this was funny enough to quote.

In the real world, where graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive and HD content is readily available, it's really, really interesting that anybody is impressed by the screenshots posted in this thread.

jonnyutah
06-17-2008, 03:06 PM
i think some of you may be missign the point. this is a 480p game. you have to see it in motion to before passing judgment. personally i was impressed with the demo. looks on par with quake 4, hl2 engine etc. even close to some unreal engine 3 games. (not unreal tourey 3/gow)

the engie is in a lower resolution, yes and there is some texture quality loss. i mean comon, wii dosent have 500mb or ram like the texture beasts do but given the wii specs it's quite impressive to see a game looking this good in motion on wii hardware.

le geek
06-17-2008, 03:14 PM
To be fair the game and engine looks much better in motion... Will it look like an 360 or PS3 game? Nope! Will it look better than anything done on the GameCube (at least technically) and probably the Wii? Yep!

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14248157/vids_1.html

as far as gameplay, story and controls go way to early to tell...

Cheers,
Ben

Nick Goracke
06-17-2008, 03:51 PM
i think some of you may be missign the point. this is a 480p game. you have to see it in motion to before passing judgment.

As a novelty, it might be impressive; kind of like how fitting Resident Evil 2 onto an N64 cartridge was impressive back in the late 90's. In context, though? It's way behind the curve in terms of 2008 software.

Not to take the thread off-track, but I think this is the same reason that the PSP's technical dominance over the DS has given Sony such little return. Every time you say "this game looks good", you have to preface that statement with a "For a portable game,". Interesting as a novelty, but not terribly interesting when put into context.

heybtbm
06-17-2008, 06:16 PM

It kind of ruins your point when no one in this thread was even remotely talking like that. Paging Mr. Strawman.

The "truth" is funny like that. It always has a way of coming back again and again. Regardless, I think I'll sit this one out. This horse has been beaten enough lately.

Icarus Moonsight
06-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Full Throttle Douche Bottle is really just Summers Eve 1.5. Hardcore douchers make their own. It's vinegar and water people... not rocket science. I can't believe people are so caught up in the hype that they do not realize that FTDB is an obsolete douche delivery system.

Prediction: The next feminine hygiene fad is going to be Wii Douche, a 4 player mini game romp. It will obviously fail because it will lack on-line chat in the true spirit of Nintendo - ignoring the demands of it's fan base. LOL

lendelin
06-18-2008, 01:48 PM
The next feminine hygiene fad is going to be Wii Douche, a 4 player mini game romp.

...wouldn't surprise me at all. A true revolution in gaming like Wii Fit. Who needs online gaming if you can wiggle the Wii remote?

Rob2600
08-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm posting this here.

Could 2009 be when developers finally push the Wii's graphical capabilities on a consistent basis? In addition to Factor 5's project and The Conduit, survival horror game Cursed Mountain will feature some advanced visual techniques seen in few Wii games thus far. According to IGN:

IGN - First Details Behind the Technology Driving Cursed Mountain for Wii (http://wii.ign.com/articles/897/897888p1.html)

"the focus in Cursed Mountain is the overwhelming environment of the Himalayas," said Harald Riegler, CEO of co-developer Sproing. "It is really important to us that the player experiences nature's powers as realistically as possible and that the game's viewing distance allows the player to see the monumental landscapes at all times. We are also going to great lengths to make the dead souls look as convincing as possible in order to deliver the level of immersion necessary for really effective and believable survival horror."

To deliver on these goals, the Sproing team relies on its proprietary "Athena" game engine, which is rendering the Himalayas on Wii at a quality never seen before. Some features of the Athena game engine include HDR-Rendering, shader simulations developed especially for Wii in order to display ice, heat, and water, realistic reflections and refractions, an ultra-fast particle system for amazing snow storms, soft particles for realistic fog and smoke, depth of field, motion blur, dynamic soft shadows, spherical harmonics lighting, as well as a high performance level-of-detail and streaming system in order to provide long viewing distance of the entire surrounding.

"Our engine technology really takes the Wii hardware to its limits and Wii gamers can really look forward to a heart-stopping, and breath-taking world that comes alive with this title," said Gerhard Seiler, Technical Director of Sproing.

Cursed Mountain will be released worldwide for Wii in 2009. More information is available at: http://cursedmountain.deepsilver.com

Gamingking
08-13-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm very interested in this game, It looks awesome.

Rob2600
08-13-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm very interested in this game, It looks awesome.

Which one, The Conduit or Cursed Mountain?

dao2
08-13-2008, 11:09 PM
This definitely looks cool and all but do you remember what happened to the last Wii fps exclusive that looked promising in the beginning? I'm talking about you Red Steel:( Hopefully this turns out better than that one.

That was the FIRST one actually :| Metroid Prime on the other hand looks great and plays great ;p

slip81
08-14-2008, 07:39 AM

well, I haven't read every single post, so I hope I'm not being redundant, but uh, your argument is kinda apples and oranges pal. Games are made with computers, which aren't capable of creating photo realistic images at any resolution, be it 480p/720/1080 or ultra high def, so it doesn't really matter.

The reason your 480i TV signals look more realistic that a PS3 game is because it's actual humans and objects shot on film, not something pre rendered.

Even if all PS3/360 games were 480p max, they still wouldn't look as good as regular TV. I mean, the PS3 isn't even powerful enough to give us in game graphics that rival a Pixar film.

The 1 2 P
08-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I mean, the PS3 isn't even powerful enough to give us in game graphics that rival a Pixar film.

Don't let the Sony fanboys hear you say that. They will treat you like you just spoke blasphemy. You are correct of course, but I heard the PS3's cell prosessor was capable of conquering the entire planet using only 30% of it's processing power. Or was that just another rumor? Damn these shady-ass news outlets, lolLOL

carlcarlson
08-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I mean, the PS3 isn't even powerful enough to give us in game graphics that rival a Pixar film.

A single frame in a Pixar movie can take up to 90 hours to render. So yeah, the PS3 has a ways to go.

blissfulnoise
08-14-2008, 06:16 PM
That was the FIRST one actually :| Metroid Prime on the other hand looks great and plays great ;p

Wrong on both counts.

I'll defend and support the Wii where I can (No More Heroes, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers, Boom Blox, and even stuff like Wii Fit) but Metroid Prime 3 was a horrible let down in control and in technique. Some of the textures are laughly bad.

So far The Conduit looks decent but appears to be yet another FPS. This game is going to have to distinquish itself in some way to find an audience; probably through story or atmosphere (since graphically it looks good, but not stylized).

Julio III
08-15-2008, 03:10 PM
After watching some hd-dvds at 720, standard dvds look pretty nasty to me. I also have always wished that some tv shows (nature and football especially) were in hd

Kid Ice
08-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I own a Wii and a PS3. I previously owned a 360 until it broke for no particular reason.

I will agree that the Wii is crucially flawed. And the PS3. And the 360.

I don't think we'll hear the end of it. It was understandable the first couple years we would hear all manner of complaining, as gamers sunk their teeth into these "new" systems.

But now? Jeez, get over it already.

They are what they are. And each has some damn fine games. Not to mention each of these systems is a HUGE improvement over its predecessor, flaws and all.

Nesmaster
08-17-2008, 12:34 PM
And each has some damn fine games.

I just hope more people realize this.

Not to mention each of these systems is a HUGE improvement over its predecessor, flaws and all.

Best sentence I've read in this thread, and the truth.