PDA

View Full Version : The official Metal Gear Solid 4 thread

diskoboy
06-12-2008, 08:30 PM
I just picked my copy up 5 minutes ago. I haven't even taken the shrinkwrapping off yet, so I'll be commenting on it, a bit later on.

But I figure this title was deserving of it's own thread. So I figure I'd get one going.

gepeto
06-12-2008, 09:41 PM
I agree the great solid snake makes his return. That hideo. I Scooped it up today as well. I wish I was at the midnight launch with david hayter and the gang.. This game looks pretty. Also my first 1080 ps3 game.

Richter Belmount
06-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Bah i haven't got it yet Im waiting on my silver ps3 limited edition bundle from konami. Supposed to get it by the 14th.Im finally glad to see some of the answers to the questions that were put in mgs2. Even though it sucks to see snake killed off I admire kojima for following through his vision as a artist. Rather then churning out a game every year just to spoon feed the masses.

BHvrd
06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
*grabs popcorn*

Impressions! We need some impressions!

*goes back to playing AoC*

diskoboy
06-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Already past the first stage.

Visually, This game is beautiful. This definitely shows of that 1080p HDTV you've been bragging to your neighbors about. A few minor framerate drops. But not detracting at all.

I'm not very far into the game, yet. But it's definitely gotten off to a tremendous start.

ClassicGameTrader
06-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Got the bundle at midnight, It's pretty amazing, I'm @ act 2. The amount of detail is so far surpassing anything I have ever played before, this game sets a new standard!

I've gotta change the cameras and targeting system though, I'm having a hard time getting snake to do what I need him to do at times.

Oh and I snagged an extra control pad and GTA4 absolutely free, I don't see how poor old Wal-mart made out on that one.

Oh well, screw them!

fuchikoma
06-13-2008, 12:09 AM
If you haven't checked the iPod out yet, equip it and listen to the MGS4 Integral Podcast.

Sudo
06-13-2008, 12:46 AM
The game is simply stunning in all aspects. This is the first game in many years that has lived up to my expectations, and that I can find no flaws with.

gepeto
06-13-2008, 06:18 AM
I must agree on the detailed environment is amazeing. The assualt creatures with dino like legs are tough bastards at least for me.

mailman187666
06-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I played a couple hours of it last night and I'm impressed with the visuals, I like the amount of items that are collectable, and I also like how the story is going and the music it has in the game. There seems to be something missing though thats not quite getting me addicted to it like some other games have. I bet once I get further, I'll be hooked. Definately not an easy game (for me anyway).

heybtbm
06-13-2008, 09:39 AM
MGS4 is the best looking video game up to this point in history...and I say that with zero hyperbole. The true potential of the PS3 (combined with a big budget) is almost frightening.

The gameplay is excellent (of course). It's really a perfection of the 3rd person camera they implemented in Subsistence. I put in 2+ hours last night and can't wait to get back to it this weekend. Excellent, A-list stuff. The amount of talent and polish that is present so far is just amazing.

blissfulnoise
06-13-2008, 10:41 AM
The single flaw is that there's not a lot of game to play. I finished Act 1 last night. I hear that the play to cinema ratio gets smaller and smaller as the game goes on.

Otherwise, this is the first retail game on the PS3 that actually gives people a reason to go immediately buy a PS3.

Buns34
06-13-2008, 12:10 PM
So since i really disliked Metel Gear Solid 2 and 3, do you guys think i should still get this one? And how hard is it? Does it have adjustable difficulties?

Oobgarm
06-13-2008, 12:57 PM
This one is very similar to 2 and 3 in basic layout and function. There are additional tweaks that update it for this generation, but it really does feel like 2 and 3.

There are 4 difficulty levels, and the standard is the third highest on the list.

I'd say give it a shot. Rent it at first, if you're really unsure.

diskoboy
06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm finished with the first act. I can safely say, I cannot find a single, major flaw with this game.

From story, to graphics, to gameplay, this game is practically flawless in all respects.

Even the dust on the camera lens adds a bit of realism. And who could complain about a character who constantly shits himself? Seriously??

Picking a Game of the Year, this year, is gonna be a total bitch.

DJ Daishi
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
omg, it's already out!?! where was all the coverage??...and I haven't seen one commercial yet!! yay, a reason to finally dust off my PS3!! (runs out to buy a copy)

Chuplayer
06-13-2008, 06:29 PM
MGS4: THE PINNACLE OF HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT

DJ Daishi
06-13-2008, 07:05 PM
I hate to ask this...but...I must! GTAIV or MGS4!?!...keep in mind most of you just got MGS4, and have "over-hype itis".

Emuaust
06-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Well after finishing the game this morning, OMFG, I have to hand it to Hideo and team on this one, well done.

I Finally feel MOAR then justified buying the ps3 and this game, if i never get another decent game on the system I couldnt care...

diskoboy
06-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I hate to ask this...but...I must! GTAIV or MGS4!?!...keep in mind most of you just got MGS4, and have "over-hype itis".

I'll be honest. I really wasn't all that hyped for MGS4. MGS2 was to 'Japanese weird' for my tastes, and kinda turned me off the series.

So far, this one has it's moments. But it's not off-the-wall, campy.

As for GTA4 vs. MGS4 - that's tricky. Both are good games. And both will have more content soon. But if you've got a high end TV/home theater, and wanna see what it truly can do - Without a doubt, MGS4.

But as both games have excellent gameplay, but GTA4 was a bit too short, for my taste.

Sudo
06-13-2008, 10:33 PM
I just finished the game, my completion time was 19:37:47. I can genuinely say with no exaggeration, that if no more games were to come out for the system that I would feel justified spending the $600 I did for my 60GB over a year ago just because I got to play this game. It's a masterpiece that wraps up every single loose end from the entire series. The game is in my top 5 games of all time; the only thing I didn't like was the fact that it ended at all.

MarkMan
06-14-2008, 01:06 AM
I really loved my first playthrough with MGS4.

clocked in at a lil over 14 hours... fun times! I watched all the codecs/cgs, just went straight for the story. I'll be playing again over the weekend.

I think MGS4 is the easiest MGS game to date.

heybtbm
06-14-2008, 08:13 AM

Both are pinnacles of their respective genre's. They can't be compared directly against each other IMO. Any comparison would strictly be a personal preference between the two gameplay styles.

carlcarlson
06-14-2008, 09:52 AM
So here's a dumb question: is it a bad idea to play 4 without having finished the first one and never having played 2 or 3? I don't have a ps3 so it's not like I'm going to run out and buy this today, but I don't own 2 or 3 and don't think I'll have the time/patience to play through those just so I can enjoy 4 one day.

I know MGS is really story-centric, so I'm guessing I already know the answer to my question.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-14-2008, 12:03 PM
While the MGS series of games has always had a rather rigid "you'd really better learn how to use this before rushing out into combat" control scheme, which became increasingly more complex with MGS 3 and MGS 3 Subsistence ... I must say that I'm VERY impressed with how tight it is in MGS4 in terms of - if you DO know how to use it from previous games, there's not a whole lot of fumbling around having to deal with Snake not doing what you want him to.

(Though I still don't think that control scheme translates well to an online multiplayer game.)

While the game really hasn't opened up it's doors to new fans like Resident Evil did with it's 4th installment, I see no reason to call this one anything less than perfect from what I've played so far. Looking forward to finishing it, and not rushing through so I can savor every cut-scene and take in every bit of political and social commentary that Kojima throws in there.

exit
06-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Well I picked the game up last night and so far I'm really impressed with it. I've heard complaints about how the game play has changed a bit, but considering one of the first things Snake says is "war has changed", I feel it's really appropriate based on the way the game starts out. The controls took me some time to get used to, which resulted in me really getting my ass handed to me in the beginning, but I' started to get the hang of things after awhile.

Oh and I hate Akiba, I wish him nothing but death.

I know MGS is really story-centric, so I'm guessing I already know the answer to my question.

You're exactly right, I'd recommend at least finishing MGS1, since some major characters and plot details from the first one come up again. MGS2 is short enough to do a quick play through and MGS3 is kind of the background story of Snake, I haven't even finish 3 tho since I sucked horribly at it.

Eternal Tune
06-14-2008, 12:23 PM
I can't put my finger on it, but MGS 4 bothers me. Perhaps its because I'm finding it a lot more combat oriented then the others. Well at least during the Middle East section. I also find myself apologizing to Old Snake for making his stress level so high I'm pretty sure he's gonna have a heart attack. Or making him walk around hunched over until he starts smacking his back. "Hey, sorry about that" or " shit I better stop and relax under this barrel for a bit."

Also, one correction to what Oobgarm said. The game has five difficulty levels. The hardest is unlocked after finishing the first play through.

Sudo
06-14-2008, 12:48 PM
So here's a dumb question: is it a bad idea to play 4 without having finished the first one and never having played 2 or 3? I don't have a ps3 so it's not like I'm going to run out and buy this today, but I don't own 2 or 3 and don't think I'll have the time/patience to play through those just so I can enjoy 4 one day.

I would absolutely recommend that you not play MGS 4 until you beat 1-3. Assuming you get an 80GB PS3, you should pick up the MGS Essentials Collection, which includes the first three games for $30.

blissfulnoise
06-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I would absolutely recommend that you not play MGS 4 until you beat 1-3. Assuming you get an 80GB PS3, you should pick up the MGS Essentials Collection, which includes the first three games for $30.

Or watch the Metal Gear Retrospective on gametrailers. It's substantially cheaper and accomplishes much of the same.

Chuplayer
06-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Or watch the Metal Gear Retrospective on gametrailers. It's substantially cheaper and accomplishes much of the same.

No, you need to play the games. Especially MGS2. You need to be taken for the ride before you can appreciate MGS4.

Sudo
06-14-2008, 08:13 PM

I enjoyed the retrospectives, but they didn't go deep enough in the stories IMO, especially concerning MGS 2.

Chuplayer
06-14-2008, 09:14 PM
MGO can blow me.

Seriously. I was shooting this guy who wasn't moving clean in the fucking neck, and he still was able to kill me. I couldn't have gotten the aim more perfect. I was ripping the jugulars out him for at least one second straight, and he still killed me. Ridiculous.

exit
06-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Maybe Hideo's should go and make a survival horror game, because that Laughing Octopus was creepy as fuck, she scared the shit out of me a few times. It felt like something right out of Silent Hill, especially when you had to fight the Beauty, I forgot for a second that I was playing Metal Gear as I was trying to run away from her.

I think I found my new favorite Boss fight, it almost rivals Psycho Mantis as one of the most unexpected events in a game. Then again there are 3 more of them left, so maybe I shouldn't speak too soon.

heybtbm
06-14-2008, 09:36 PM
No, you need to play the games. Especially MGS2. You need to be taken for the ride before you can appreciate MGS4.

Not at all. I can barely remember the plots of movies I've seen in the last few weeks, let alone a plot as convoluted as MGS2 from 6 years ago. A simple refresher course of the entire Metal Gear storyline from Wikipedia is good enough for me. I'm appreciating MGS4 just fine.

Chuplayer
06-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Not at all. I can barely remember the plots of movies I've seen in the last few weeks, let alone a plot as convoluted as MGS2 from 6 years ago. A simple refresher course of the entire Metal Gear storyline from Wikipedia is good enough for me. I'm appreciating MGS4 just fine.

Then play MGS2 again. It's an emotional roller coaster, and if it has been six years for you, it should be almost completely fresh again. And if you thought MGS2 was convoluted, you ain't seen nothin' yet. MGS2 was wacky. MGS4 is the real convoluted storyline, but that doesn't keep it from being the greatest achievement in human history.

blissfulnoise
06-15-2008, 06:03 AM
I just beat the game.

Hyperbole aside, it was pretty awesome. The story is a bit convoluted for it's own good, and a lot of the cinematics were way too long for the point they were getting across but I guess that was what kept the game length going.

16:49 was the total time with a total of 5 continues; nothing was skipped, not a single line of dialog. A little less than half of the total time was cinematics/codecs. This may be a good thing for you, or it may not.

Boss fights were overall weaker I thought in the series, but the cameo after fighting Screaming Mantis was pretty fucking awesome.

I do give this game a ton of credit for being one of the first "alternative" action games that actually lets you play how you want to play for the vast majority of the game. Its equally viable to go in guns blazing if your skill level is high enough than it is to sneak around. Now not all scenerios play out as well depending on which method you use, but for most of the game, the choice really is yours.

Strong game of the year contender, and certainly extremely technically impressive, but there just wasn't enough game in the game for it to be shoe-in game of the year.

And its just incorrect to set a precedent that you need to play the other three Solid games to play this one. If you're going to go that out, you might as well put Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, and Metal Gear: Portable Ops in with the others as they're referenced almost as heavily.

Frankly, MGS4 does a pretty fantastic job of catching newcomers up to speed in a hurry by repeatedly breaking down all elements of the previous game and how they tie into the new one. Yes, the other Metal Gear Solid games are all fantastic (and they are, I've beaten every one of them at least once) and should be played for their own merits, but newbies won't be missing out on story by the truckload for jumping in now instead of earlier. Some injokes and a few asides will be missed, but simply reading up on the story briefly beforehand (or not even) and you’ll be just as confused as the rest of us.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I can't put my finger on it, but MGS 4 bothers me. Perhaps its because I'm finding it a lot more combat oriented then the others. Well at least during the Middle East section...

That's rather interesting, since I played through that entire section without actually killing anybody, and only getting spotted once or twice.

I think that Kojima has finally found the sweet spot in the "CHOOSE to fight or not fight" portion of the game this time around if users are finding this level of difference in a section. (Unless you just mean the level of combat going on AROUND Snake ... which is plentiful, and a nice change of pace considering the arc of the story.)

carlcarlson
06-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Well I just won an auction for a ps2 that had the Essentials Collection. I decided I'd probably enjoy 4 more if I had actually played through the other three. Also, what is the difference between Snake Eater, Subsistence, and Substance? Which is the true "3"?

Thanks to everyone for your impressions so far. It sounds like I might actually have a reason to get a ps3 now.

MGS4 is the real convoluted storyline, but that doesn't keep it from being the greatest achievement in human history.

Ouch. I hope you were joking.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Well I just won an auction for a ps2 that had the Essentials Collection. I decided I'd probably enjoy 4 more if I had actually played through the other three. Also, what is the difference between Snake Eater, Subsistence, and Substance? Which is the true "3"?

Thanks to everyone for your impressions so far. It sounds like I might actually have a reason to get a ps3 now.

Substance is the "special" edition of MGS2 Sons of Liberty
Subsistence is the "special" edition of MGS3 Snake Eater

I actually preferred the standard versions of both, but Substance and Subsistence both have their fair share of nice extras.

carlcarlson
06-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Substance is the "special" edition of MGS2 Sons of Liberty
Subsistence is the "special" edition of MGS3 Snake Eater

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. And Twin Snakes is the "special" edition of Metal Gear Solid 1 right? That's a whole lot of special. People rag on Square for all of the FF remakes, but this seems like a bit of overkill too, no?

Chuplayer
06-15-2008, 01:30 PM

The good news is that by getting the Essentials Collection, you already have the enhanced versions of the games.

Yeah, Substance is the special edition of MGS2 with a whole bunch of extra missions and stuff.

Subsistence is the special edition of MGS3. It's got a new camera system for the main game. Unfortunately, the collection is missing the second disc from Subsistence. It's got the now defunct MGO1, but it also has a bunch of cool extras like more Snake vs. Monkey missions, all of the comedy videos released online, and most importantly, the first really well done versions of the first two 2D Metal Gear games released outside of Japan. They're based on the cell phone ports which were based on the original MSX versions. The NES version of the first game was a joke, and the second game only got a fan translation patch, if that much. You don't absolutely need to play these games to understand MGS4, though. You get all the information you need from these games in MGS1 The in-game dialog recaps the storyline well, and there are even summaries in some menu. It's actually quite thorough.

Twin Snakes is the Gamecube remake of MGS1. This is perhaps the biggest overhaul of any single game the series has got to offer. It's the entire first game with enhanced graphics and gameplay elements taken from MGS2. Some people don't like it because the new gameplay elements don't really mesh with MGS1, the music was changed, the rerecorded voice acting is considered poor by many, and the cutscenes were reimagined with very much a Matrix theme in mind. I love the game, though. You don't need to play it because you've got MGS1 in the collection, but you might want to give it a ride someday.

No, I'm not joking. Sometimes it's mind boggling how things are explained in MGS4. However, it all does fit, and everything else in the game is so awesome the word awesome doesn't adequately describe it. We need a new word in the English language to describe MGS4. I vote for himiashsaksumiyumikulicious.

exit
06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Well I just beat the game and while I did enjoy the hell out of it, it felt like the ending was dragging on forever, but I kind of expected that anyway. The only thing that kind of felt odd was that the codec wasn't used enough, I remember in the other games I'd go through each person to get advice, this time I just had was Rose (who was no help at all) and Otacon.

So yes it was a great game, one of the "must have" games for PS3 and a great conclusion to a legendary series.

Vectorman0
06-16-2008, 07:55 PM
This game is epic. Anyone who ever enjoyed any Metal Gear game will definitely love this game.

For those on the fence about this game, definitely go for it. Ignore what anyone says otherwise and just play it. However I can't stress enough how important having played the previous games is. While you could easily play through MGS4 without having played 1-3 and thoroughly enjoy it, you would be missing out on a lot. To enjoy the game you don't need to have played the past games, but if you want to be totally blown away, you need to have played through the other 3 MGS games. Trust me on this one. (watching that MGS retrospective thing would probably help, but it can't truly match playing the actual games)

Also, for those who were turned off of the MGS franchise after the insane story presented in MGS2, this game makes up for completely and should not be overlooked. The story in this game is told in a completely different way than the past two games; the first time through, you can completely grasp the story.

Vectorman0
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Well I just beat the game and while I did enjoy the hell out of it, it felt like the ending was dragging on forever, but I kind of expected that anyway. The only thing that kind of felt odd was that the codec wasn't used enough, I remember in the other games I'd go through each person to get advice, this time I just had was Rose (who was no help at all) and Otacon.

So yes it was a great game, one of the "must have" games for PS3 and a great conclusion to a legendary series.

Yeah, the codec definitely took the the back seat in this game. The longest codec call is probably not more than a few minutes, and for the first time, it doesn't even have it's own button (by default). While I missed extended codec conversations a bit, the cutscenes balanced it out. However as you said, being able to call up any of a handful of people to chat with about a boss or a tough part was always cool and was definitely missed.

AllSchoolGamer
06-16-2008, 09:56 PM
The gameplay and story are quite good, the problem being there is more story then gameplay...I even had 1 part following someone where i had 2 cutscenes in a row, got to play the game took 4 steps and had to sit through ANOTHER cutscene...as good as the story is sitting there passivly watching it instead of playing it got quite irritating. Then in most cases as soon as the cutscene finishes you end up on the phone to otocon! Definetly not a game to play before work lol. Oh and auto aim kept turning me 180 degrees in a circle facing me away from the enemy for some reason so I dont use that. other then that it was quite good. and the graphics really were quite fantastic.

exit
06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Well I've been playing MGO a bit the past two nights and while I do think it's a fun time killer, something about it just doesn't seem right. I think it might be the overall community, or at least the people I've come across on there. While I was playing Team Death Match, it seemed that nobody on either side knew what Team meant and died because someone from my team started shooting me while I was in battle with someone.

I just finished the one good match I had, people on my side actually acted as a team, especially when the other side one coming back and they ended up having someone join them that was a 1 man army. I'm sure that a lot of these people will be weeded out eventually when the next big thing comes out (probably Bad Company) and I'm actually able to play with my friends on there.

Borman
06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Well I've been playing MGO a bit the past two nights and while I do think it's a fun time killer, something about it just doesn't seem right. I think it might be the overall community, or at least the people I've come across on there. While I was playing Team Death Match, it seemed that nobody on either side knew what Team meant and died because someone from my team started shooting me while I was in battle with someone.

I just finished the one good match I had, people on my side actually acted as a team, especially when the other side one coming back and they ended up having someone join them that was a 1 man army. I'm sure that a lot of these people will be weeded out eventually when the next big thing comes out (probably Bad Company) and I'm actually able to play with my friends on there.

The problem with MGO is all the ranked servers are usually 16 players. I have much more fun 2vs2 or 4vs4, with a team of decent people :P

Jackattack
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you about the lack of codec conversations. The codec in previous games was in place to achieve two things, progress the story and provide advice to the player. I won't argue the helpful aspects of the codec when you were stuck, but as a story medium it was severely lacking compared to the in game cut-scenes (especially in MGS4 which is the game we are discussing). Maybe it is my age (I was younger before ;) ), but I only found myself questioning what to do next in one part of MGS4 compared to frequently in previous games. To me this completely takes out the need of the codec for assistance in MGS4 and only leaves it to progress the story... but why in the world would you want to only listen to someone talk on a mostly static screen when you could be watching some of the most entertaining and beautiful cut scenes ever found in a video game??

Want to know what's so great about this though? Kojima agrees with me.

kentuckyfried
06-18-2008, 11:40 PM
To those not in the know yet,

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/18/metal-gear-solid-4-database-available-tomorrow-on-psn/

There's going to be alot of information on the metal gear series released for free on the PSN.

Richter Belmount
06-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I like how we can just label the mgs2 story convoluted and just shrug it off as that. Instead of using a much more intelligent way of criticizing the games story. Is it fair just to sum all the games story with just one word? That not a good criticism.

Anyways finally got my gunmetal ps3 with mgs4 the other day. I honestly have such a bad attention span, however its not the case with this game at all. I had the day off today and was literally playing from 10 am to 10 pm. Im literally surprised beyond any expectations or any commercial hype for this game. This game is detailed in graphics , story and dialogue and it really shows moreso than maybe any other game out on the market.

Vectorman0
06-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Yesterday, the "Metal Gear Solid Database" was released on the PSN for free download. It's basically a small database with info on the Metal Gear (Solid) series. I flipped through it for a little while and learned some new tidbits of info. It's nothing comprehensive, but a welcome freebie. I'm not sure if MGS4 is required to get/play it, but I know you need a completed MGS4 save file to unlock 100% of the the database entries.

ThoughtBomb
06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I actually finished the game 2 days ago but finished watching the last movies last night. As a fan of the entire Solid series & having played all titles (save for MG2:SS & The Portable Ops Titles), I came away very happy.
With Solid 1 being my favorite, the Shadow Moses chapter was absolutely awesome to me. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't completed it yet, but for fans of Solid 1, while your in the old hallway near Otacon's office by the now disengaged electric floor, talk to Otacon. He has a conversation with Snake about how he took out the tanker with Vulcan Raven back then. That conversation is sure to put a smile on some faces!

gepeto
06-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I passed on picking up the limited edition. to anyone who picked it up was it worth it?

Chuplayer
06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I passed on picking up the limited edition. to anyone who picked it up was it worth it?

In hindsight, I could have lived without it, but it's still nice to have. The bonus disc isn't as earth-shattering as Subsistence's bonus disc, but it's still nice.

ThoughtBomb
06-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Y'know, I still haven't watched the Blu-Ray or listened to the soundtrack yet so I can't say officially, however I can say that the casing itself was not made with the best quality material. The back label is adhered to the case with nothing but a diagonal line of four of those sticky dot adhesives (that same booger-like material that's used on gift card backings and such) that I actually had to carefully remove and put back straight because that's how I recieved it. Honestly the cover illustration could have been used instead of
3d old Snake face on the regular case. It looks like it was massed produced in a hurry because the label on the side is a little off as well. This will probably be the only game I actually ever fork over this much for, seeing as how it was the last of one of my all-time favorite series.

Bottom Line: It's worth it as an MGSaholic, but for everyone else who doesn't need to know every single aspect of every little thing about MGS, then just buy the regular edition. Besides, once MGS4: Substupification comes out, that'll probably be packed with extras anyway...crap, that reminds me...damn, more money to fork over to Kojima & friends. IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Joker T
06-24-2008, 12:09 AM
What difficulty are you guys playing on?

I went with the Solid Normal difficulty but I'm afraid this is gonna bite me in the ass later since I am a MGS noob.

G-Boobie
06-30-2008, 02:45 AM
I'm late to the party on this one: I picked up my LE on day one, but was busy with school, work and other more important things until this weekend. I'm just now getting into act 3 after a 9 hour marathon.

I can't tell whether I like it or not: I'm enjoying myself moment to moment, which is always good, but I don't know whether the overall experience will leave me with a positive impression when I'm done. A lot of what I found endearing and fun about the first three games is pretty tired by now. I'll have to finish it next weekend before I reach a conclusion.

While we're at it, the LE box is nice and all, but I probably could have picked up the regular edition without pain. A blu-ray and gimped soundtrack aren't much for bonus materials. And we all know the greatest hits version will have a ton of added crap anyway.....