PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man 9 new info

Pages : [1] 2

dairugger
06-14-2008, 12:11 AM
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=28490

http://kotaku.com/5016414/mega-man-9-rated-surely-coming

http://gaygamer.net/2008/06/mega_man_9.html

seems we may get Mega Man 9 after all. Its been rated & is set for a multi platform release, though that may end up being via digital distribution, ie PSN network, WiiWare, Live.

Personally im pretty excited!, but i dont want digital distribution. As a collector i want the actual physical game to set on my shelf.

Wonder where the story will go..? After so long between the last installment it should be good.

Thoughts?

ShinobiMan
06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Best gaming news I've heard since the announcement of the new Castlevania. This is exciting. A long time coming. Mega Man 8 was a solid addition to the series and I always wondered why it stopped there.

Sudo
06-14-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm a huge Mega Man fan, so this is great news to me. I'm glad they're going back to the original numbering scheme, which to me seems like they're taking the franchise back to its roots, which it really needs. I hope it's released as a retail disc for either PS3 or 360, since those are the two consoles I own this gen. ;)

SpaceHarrier
06-14-2008, 12:41 AM
That's so awesome! I was just lamenting the lack of a MM9 a mere couple weeks ago, and went so far as to start sketching out new bosses.. (lame right? I know but..)

Anyway I came up with: Cyber Man (old school CRT monitor for head, emoticon face), Thunder Man (you gotta have some kinda electric one, right? He has a round, glass body with one of those electrode things in the center --the ones that you touch the orb and all the electricity arcs toward your hand), and finally Chainsaw Man (two chainsaw arms and large body and thick legs, head kinda looks like its covered by a mask --ala Texas Chainsaw Massacre, of course [or RE4]). I'm sure someone else already thought of all of those before me; I just felt like sharing :P

Press_Start
06-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Although the MM Fan in me is ecstatic as heaven, but wonder how Inafune will execute this? Will he similar Megaman Powered-Up or trace back his roots and go with the same approach for Megaman 8 and Megaman & Bass (who some debate as Megaman 9)? Speaking of MM8, will they continue the story was where they left off? I feel it is an interesting element inserted into the Megaman universe as something that could trigger the events leading up to MMX and the perfect thing to start filling in the blanks between MM and MMX.

dairugger
06-14-2008, 01:00 AM
i too think they should continue the storyline from MM8, the artbook R2 (rockman 20 years) has a very interesting picture of what the stardroids (duo and the bad robot) looked like before they crashlanded and dr. light rebuilt them.

Jorpho
06-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Yes, surely we need more Duo!

Tommy
06-14-2008, 03:46 AM
Mega Man 8 was the S**T! Can't wait for this. @_@

Kitsune Sniper
06-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Knowing Capcom, this will be the bridge game between the original Mega Man series and the shittacular Battle Network series. Bah.

jcalder8
06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I've only played the MMs on the NES so I'm not too excited for it since I'm not a big MM fan. But my question is: since when have MM games had stories?

jajaja
06-14-2008, 10:49 AM
i dont want digital distribution. As a collector i want the actual physical game to set on my shelf.
Thats what i'm thinking as well :) I think its ok if Mega Man 9 only gets a digital distrubution, but i would love to have a physical copy of the game on my shelf as well as you said :)

kainemaxwell
06-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Best news I've heard all week!

izarate
06-14-2008, 01:32 PM
I've only played the MMs on the NES so I'm not too excited for it since I'm not a big MM fan. But my question is: since when have MM games had stories?

Huh? Since the first one, but you had to look in the manual. I think that Mega Man 4 was the first to have story sequences in game.

Nirvana
06-14-2008, 02:22 PM
This is really awesome. I'm a huge fan of the Mega Man series, and I'm definitely looking forward to this.

exit
06-14-2008, 03:16 PM
[url]
Personally im pretty excited!, but i dont want digital distribution. As a collector i want the actual physical game to set on my shelf.

Well if they really wanted to, they could possibly release it on a disc for a fair price (yeah right), or release a compilation disc later on with all of their DLC titles on it.

First Street Fighter 4 and now Mega Man 8, this is indeed fantastic news.

Chuplayer
06-14-2008, 03:18 PM
OH HELL YEAH!!!

Give it a heavy metal soundtrack... give it a heavy metal soundtrack... give it a heavy metal soundtrack...

diskoboy
06-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Finally!! Back to basics, Mega Man.

There is a god, after all.

Jorpho
06-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Finally!! Back to basics, Mega Man.

If they insist on throwing in Roll, Bass, Treble, Duo, Rush, Proto Man, and whatshisname from the shop, it's a far cry from the "basics" of yore.

Chuplayer
06-14-2008, 10:37 PM
If they insist on throwing in Roll, Bass, Treble, Duo, Rush, Proto Man, and whatshisname from the shop, it's a far cry from the "basics" of yore.

Proto Man was in MM3...

Oh man, I hope they get the Guilty Gear guitarist to do the music for this game. He did this Mega Man 8-bit arrange edition album, and it was wonderful. I can't stand all this techno remix bullshit that proliferates on the internet and in the official collections.

It's like what they did to the music in F-Zero GX. F-Zero X enhanced the sound the first F-Zero set out to do, creating an awesome metal soundtrack, and then GX went and cocked it all up by making it techno. All they needed to do was take the music straight from the F-Zero X Guitar Arrange Edition album and slap it on the GX disc, and they'd have perfection, but no...

Cryomancer
06-15-2008, 03:28 AM
If they actually have the balls to call in Mega Man 9 (well, Rockman 9 I suppose...unless it's some english-speaking studio making it...), it should be similar to the older games. When they want to try something radically different they make a new branch. They wouldn't be so dumb as to come back to 9 after all this time and fuck it up, I hope.

Overbite
06-15-2008, 01:02 PM
oh wow thanks capcom, we really want another regular megaman game instead of, you know, mega man legends 3. the one the megaman creator himself wants to make but noooo you need to make the 9th game in the series that should have stopped after 3.

Chuplayer
06-15-2008, 01:33 PM
oh wow thanks capcom, we really want another regular megaman game instead of, you know, mega man legends 3. the one the megaman creator himself wants to make but noooo you need to make the 9th game in the series that should have stopped after 3.

Mega Man 6 is highly underrated.

Red Warrior
06-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Mega Man 6 is highly underrated.

My favorite is actually Mega Man 5. Call me crazy.

kainemaxwell
06-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Huh? Since the first one, but you had to look in the manual. I think that Mega Man 4 was the first to have story sequences in game.

Actually it was 3 with the story sequence between fighting the Robot Masters and after the Doc Robots (and the ending).

layzee
06-24-2008, 01:02 AM
Assuming this game exists, is this a Capcom-USA or Capcom-Japan developed game? Because I can't find any info on Capcom-Japan's website and the Japanese game news links only mention Australia and its ratings body (i.e. OFLC) with no mention of CERO, Japan's ratings body.

By the way, this is the same Australia that is a complete shithole when it comes to game selections/library and game price (not as much the former these days), so I wouldn't trust whatever's coming from there.

I'd rather a Rockman X9 anyway.

notoriusvig
06-24-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm one of the few that would play and love every new MM game, even if they released them everyday! Keep everything the same with great graphics and inventive bosses, and I'll be happy. Either that or Capcom should make 9 a Wii exclusive and a FPS.

Jorpho
06-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Either that or Capcom should make 9 a Wii exclusive and a FPS.

That would be thoroughly pointless.

joedick
06-26-2008, 01:59 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/884/884605p1.html

It's coming to WiiWare.

And it's 8-bit :O

TonyTheTiger
06-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Splash...woman? Splash...WOMAN!!!! What abomination is this!!!!!

The rest is bliss. Mega Man is one of my favorite series of all time and the thought of getting what amounts to a new NES entry is unbelievable.

Sudo
06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
Some more info here. (http://www.rockmanpm.com/) I really hope it comes out on PSN/XBLA as well, since I sold my Wii back in February and don't want to have to get another one just for this.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Its classic graphical style is a wonder to behold in this day and age.

I sincerely hope this sparks a new trend of TRULY retro-looking downloadble games on the Wii and elsewhere.

TonyTheTiger
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
I think the only downside is I won't have an actual...game. Just what amounts to a rom on my Wii's internal flash. Like the phantom Mega Man game.

Red Warrior
06-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm downloading that! I don't care if it's 50 bucks! I'm DOWNLOADING IT!!

The only thing that could POSSIBLY top this would be a new 8bit or 16bit Metroid title in the same fashion. A man can dream I guess...

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-26-2008, 04:46 PM
I think the only downside is I won't have an actual...game. Just what amounts to a rom on my Wii's internal flash. Like the phantom Mega Man game.

You could buy a 2nd Wii, download only that game onto it, delete all the other Wii channels and paint the outside to look like an NES cartridge.

ShinobiMan
06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
I am SO EXCITED. This is one of the most amazing developments in gaming history. A company like Capcom, making a NEW Mega Man 8-bit game. This reaks of awesomeness.

Chuplayer
06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Crap, now I've got to get a Wii.

vintagegamecrazy
06-26-2008, 06:01 PM
That's great news. Maybe it'll even play off of MM & Bass. As soon as I jump on the current console bandwagon I will get this.

Amnion-Chorion
06-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Holy crap. I'm so incredibly excited for this. Now all we need is Mega Man X9 in SNES-style and I'll be in gaming heaven.

ShinobiMan
06-26-2008, 08:46 PM
I found the whole article about it here:

http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=12136

Dreams do come true. The new issue of Nintendo Power is hitting mailboxes, and inside is the scoop on what we've been waiting for: Solid, concrete proof of Mega Man 9.

While there is no confirmation yet of its existence as a game for Xbox Live Arcade or the PlayStation Network, at least we do now know that it will be a downloadable game in a place where it most makes sense: WiiWare.

Further, the rumors of an 8-bit artstyle were not only true, but quite literal: So far, this looks just like one of the NES games, rather than the later fare of Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8, each of which has its fans and detractors.

http://blue-bomber.jvmwriter.org/MM9/1.PNG

So what's the story? Apparently the rumor of a more "standard" story holds true as well, as robots are on the rampage, and Dr. Wily is back; only this time, he says that the robot attacks are the fault of Mega Man's creator, Dr. Light. And so it falls to Mega Man to prove his creator's innocence.

So who are the bad boys of metal musculature causing this high-tech havoc? The roster reads thusly: Magma Man, Galaxy Man, Jewel Man, Concrete Man, Hornet Man, Plug Man, Tornado Man, and Splash... Woman?

They each inhabit a trap-filled lair that reflects their respective themes, leading to Mega Man traversing molten material in Magma Man's domain, while Tornado Man's stage features spinning magnetic platforms which allow the Blue Bomber to defy gravity. And Plug Man's stage features certain walls that will force the Titanium Titan to square off against shadowy dopplegangers when he walks past.

http://blue-bomber.jvmwriter.org/MM9/3.PNG

And of course, when a Robot Master gets pwned, Mega Man will acquire their special weapons for his own personal arsenal, such as Galaxy Man's Black Hole Bombs, for which he'll have to find the next boss in line to whom it works against. Hmm, Black Hole Bomb? I bet Hornet Man might have a hard time escaping that...

The article also provides some insights from franchise mastermind Keiji Inafune of Capcom, who these days is perhaps better known for such fare as Onimusha, Dead Rising, and Lost Planet. According to Inafune, the simple fun of a classic Mega Man game "doesn't fit into the grandiose and expansive world that the consumer gaming industry has become, and so you have to make games that match the current expectations."

He goes on to say that if he did push to have a new game like the classic Mega Man made, it would be criticized for things like being simplistic, outdated, or too expensive, thus making it too difficult to bring it out in the current climate. And that's where programs like WiiWare come in, from which the popularity of retrogaming services such as the Virtual Console lead to the group to decide to make a new "NES" game.

http://blue-bomber.jvmwriter.org/MM9/8.PNG

The new game is being developed by Inti Creates, who have a wealth of experience in the Mega Man franchise with their creation of the Mega Man Zero and ZX titles, plus MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge. In addition, to celebrate Mega Man's 20th anniversary, Mega Man ZX Advent featured a mini game of three levels made in the NES Mega Man style.

For controlling the Blue Bomber, players will be able to hold the Wii Remote sideways in NES-style, with the control pad moving Mega Man and the two buttons set to Jump and Fire. Doesn't look like there will be any flashy shaking going on here.

But while he says there are no new mechanical devices for Mega Man to obtain, Inafune states that the robodog Rush makes a triumphant return, as they wanted to make sure some of the other classic characters are in.

http://blue-bomber.jvmwriter.org/MM9/9.PNG

The reason for the return to NES-style graphics is due to the desire to please longtime fans who wanted to play a new game that was like the originals. In addition, the popularity of retro graphics on things like t-shirts and other paraphernalia "made it seem like the right time" to bring out an oldschool game. Plus, they wanted to show what the upper-limits of 8-bit graphics could do.

But will we get to see an 8-bit Bass and Treble?

And in addition to the graphics, the music will be styled in an 8-bit fashion, as well as 8-bit styled cinema cutscenes. "I am sure when people see the opening scenes- new content with 8-bit graphics- they're going to be very excited."

In terms of difficulty, Inafune says they aren't holding back for players whose reflexes might have deteriorated over the years, but they will try to keep it as close to that of the NES games as possible. Sounds good to me.

While the "cycloptic monsters" (aka Devils) won't be in, Inafune promises lots of exciting new bosses, plus the return of mainstay series cannon-fodder such as Sniper Joes and Mets.

Rumors suggested that Mega Man's mysterious older brother, Proto Man, would be playable, but when asked of other playable characters, Inafune said that it's classified; "you'll have to wait and see."

http://blue-bomber.jvmwriter.org/MM9/2.PNG

With Mega Man 2 as the most highly regarded of the series, Inafune states that he'd like to surpass that with this game, and hopefully be able to make "a whole lot more."

And finally, to the Mega Man fans, he says: "The moment you've been waiting for is here! We're not just giving you Mega Man 9, we're giving you a new NES game. This is a game that brings back the fun of the old games, and I hope you all enjoy it!"

Be sure to check out The Mega Man Network for the other scans from the article and a peek at the included screens, and check out the new issue of Nintendo Power for the full interview.

davidbrit2
06-26-2008, 08:54 PM
This just zoomed to the top of my must-have list in record time. I've beaten all six original Mega Man games for the NES. Now it looks like there's going to be one more to tackle.

I wonder if they'll use the old blue/red dot passwords. ;)

rkotm
06-26-2008, 09:18 PM
absolutely amazing. i was thinking a month ago if current game companies made new games for old consoles on wiis VC.. but certainly wasnt expecting this series. im glad Inafune is taking a break from the zero games and getting back to what matters. Floored. Inafune wants to top mM2? and add a playable protoman AND cutscenes??????? i hope it ends the MM storylines and adds closure to what happened to wily and MM, but thatd take away from MM's adventures.

Atari 5200
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Truly fucking awesome.

TonyTheTiger
06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Seriously. This game is easily #1 of my most anticipated of 2008. Soared past all the other ones the second I saw the first image. I've never gotten into Battle Network but the original and X series have always been loves of mine.

Rob2600
06-26-2008, 10:01 PM
thanks capcom, we really want another regular megaman game instead of, you know, mega man legends 3. the one the megaman creator himself wants to make but noooo you need to make the 9th game in the series that should have stopped after 3.

Mega Man Legends 3? Seriously?

Give it a heavy metal soundtrack... give it a heavy metal soundtrack... give it a heavy metal soundtrack...

No way. It needs an 8-bit NES soundtrack!

kainemaxwell
06-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm excitied for this. It's been a long time coming and good to see Capcom listening to the fans.

Splash Woman...?!

Jorpho
06-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Hee hee, Jewel Man.

"Faberge Egg Man? Rolls-Royce Man? JEWEL MAN!?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP_BKPa5Oc)

Cobra Commander
06-26-2008, 10:51 PM
It really shows the difference in this place verus somewhere like IGN. Lots of posts hating it already for 8-bit graphics. One guy even called Capcom "lazy". Lazy? You've got to be kidding me. This is some of the coolest news I've heard in ages.
I'm not just going to buy it, I'm going to buy the FUCK out of it.

RegSNES
06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Best. Gaming. News. Ever.

Now how exactly will they torment us with appearing/disappearing blocks and spikes?

PentiumMMX
06-27-2008, 04:12 PM
My favorite is actually Mega Man 5. Call me crazy.

I liked MM5 as well. A major improvement over 4.

Anyway, this news on Mega Man 9 has got me excited. Now if only Rareware will announce Diddy Kong Racing 2...

Chuplayer
06-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I liked MM5 as well. A major improvement over 4.

Anyway, this news on Mega Man 9 has got me excited. Now if only Rareware will announce Diddy Kong Racing 2...

They're with M$ now.

That "to be continued" pisses me off to no end, too.

Sudo
06-27-2008, 05:20 PM
It seems the game is going to be coming to XBLA and PSN (http://360.kombo.com/article.php?artid=13283) as well. I'm glad, as I didn't really want to buy another Wii just to be able to play this.

RegSNES
06-28-2008, 04:20 PM
MM5 is a good MM game that is unfortunately underrated. IMO, the classic series really didn't got south until MM6.

joedick
06-30-2008, 10:22 PM
whoops....it's back to wiiware only...

Update: Capcom pinged us to let us know that the game is currently slated "for WiiWare only" and that the information data indicating otherwise in the E3 roster was a mistake on its part.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/27/megaman-9-to-be-the-first-game-to-hit-wiiware-xbla-and-psn

TonyTheTiger
06-30-2008, 10:59 PM
MM5 is a good MM game that is unfortunately underrated. IMO, the classic series really didn't got south until MM6.

I find Mega Man 4 to be the real low point in the series. My favorites are 2, 3, and 5. I think I might even prefer Mega Man 7 and 8 to 4. Though they both do that stupid thing with only letting you pick from four robot masters which I find idiotic.

Sudo
07-01-2008, 12:59 AM
whoops....it's back to wiiware only...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/06/27/megaman-9-to-be-the-first-game-to-hit-wiiware-xbla-and-psn

I'd be willing to bet that it will still come to PSN and XBLA. Capcom doesn't really do exclusitivity anymore these days when there's a buck to be had.

Icarus Moonsight
07-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Absolutely spectacular! Pure genius, going back to 8-bit and doin' it right!!!

Hopefully, this sells like gangbusters and we get more BRAND NEW 8 and 16-bit games. Maybe a Bionic Commando I can give two shits about and so much more other goodies! I love the possibilities of the new direction this could bring all us old farts. LOL
Holy crap on a stick... I'm quaking with anticipation! :bday:

Sudo
07-03-2008, 03:41 PM
GamesRadar (http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/mega-man-9-wiiware/preview/mega-man-9-exclusive-reveal/a-20080702154756565049/g-20080626165055938021) has the first hands-on and screenshots of the game. It really does look exactly like an NES game. I'm praying that Capcom will announce its release on XBLA/PSN at E3, as I really don't want to have to even bother buying another Wii at this point unless Nintendo announces Kid Icarus and it actually looks good.

Guru of Time and Space
07-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Holy SHIT.

-GoTaS

PentiumMMX
07-03-2008, 08:37 PM
GamesRadar (http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/mega-man-9-wiiware/preview/mega-man-9-exclusive-reveal/a-20080702154756565049/g-20080626165055938021) has the first hands-on and screenshots of the game. It really does look exactly like an NES game. I'm praying that Capcom will announce its release on XBLA/PSN at E3, as I really don't want to have to even bother buying another Wii at this point unless Nintendo announces Kid Icarus and it actually looks good.

The link isn't working for me.

captainfrieza
07-03-2008, 09:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP_BKPa5Oc

Thought that was funny. Anyways, I do hope that they make a game similar to the nes versions.

Eteric Rice
07-04-2008, 12:03 AM
This is probably going to remain Wiiware exclusive. For one, it's likely native 480p, and I don't think PSN or XBL accept anything under 720p. Second, since it's native resolution would be 480p, in order to make it an HD game, it would have to be completely redone. I mean completely, not just resized or something.

So yeah, looks like some of you guys shouldn't have sold that Wii.

I TOLD YA NOT TO, BUT YA DIDN'T BELIEVE ME. WHHHHY DIDN'T YA BELIEVE ME!? :P

This, Samba, the new Run Factory, Fragile, Arc Rise Fantasia, Tales of Symphonia sequel, etc, will keep me busy for quite a while. The Wii is finally coming into it's own. :)

Rob2600
07-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I TOLD YA NOT TO, BUT YA DIDN'T BELIEVE ME. WHHHHY DIDN'T YA BELIEVE ME!?

That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumblebee. :)

AVTERA
07-04-2008, 02:59 AM
im a big fan of maga man i have played all classic & the new one hope this will be the best

Volcanon
07-04-2008, 03:27 AM
yes, 2, 3, and 5 were the best. 6 wasn't bad although it just didn't feel as good. 4 was fairly meh. 1 was good but hard (although actually the robot masters had some pretty awful AI once you figured out how to abuse it).

Eteric Rice
07-04-2008, 05:02 AM
That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumblebee. :)

Ren & Stimpy reference. :P

Icarus Moonsight
07-04-2008, 06:57 AM
To those saddened now, by having sold their Wii;

I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!

You! You covet my ice cream BAR!!!

Y'all former Wii owners, "No sir... I don't like it."

Ren & Stimpy reference. :P

Sorry, I took that as a request for more. LOL

Jorpho
07-04-2008, 08:53 AM
This is probably going to remain Wiiware exclusive. For one, it's likely native 480p, and I don't think PSN or XBL accept anything under 720p. Second, since it's native resolution would be 480p, in order to make it an HD game, it would have to be completely redone. I mean completely, not just resized or something.

There are plenty of ways to upscale stuff. Of course, not everyone likes the results, but it can be done nonetheless.

Eteric Rice
07-04-2008, 11:46 PM
There are plenty of ways to upscale stuff. Of course, not everyone likes the results, but it can be done nonetheless.

I'm not sure if it would work really well for something that is 8-bit though.

Oobgarm
07-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I hadn't kept up on this, figuring we'd hear more about it at E3. But after glancing through the new Nintendo Power, I was completely and uttery beside myself with joy.

I know this would never run on an NES, but it would be incredibly awesome for Capcom to put out an MM9 NES cart that came with a voucher to download the game, kind of like a 'premium edition' or somesuch. Even if the cart didn't function, I bet you they'd sell a shit-ton of them.

kainemaxwell
07-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Actual footage:
http://kotaku.com/5022413/lets-watch-the-first-mega-man-9-footage

Oobgarm
07-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Commence pants-shitting.

GM80
07-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I noticed that the enemy sprites disappear when the screen scrolls, just like they do on NES hardware due to system limitations. That has me wondering ...

Is this "fake 8-bit" as in "we're using a modern development environment to create a game with a vintage look" or "real 8-bit" as in "we're actually running this game in an NES emulator?"

It's an academic distinction, but seeing the sprites disappear hints at a huge dedication to authenticity if this is "fake 8-bit." They would have actually had to program that effect.

calgon
07-07-2008, 01:58 PM
How great would it be if they released this on wiiare AND a NES cartridge. It would probably sell just fine.

I'm suspecting we will see cameo's in robotmasters/level designs from mm 1-6.

SpaceHarrier
07-07-2008, 02:38 PM
How great would it be if they released this on wiiare AND a NES cartridge. It would probably sell just fine.

Oh heck yeah! I'm sure if they did though, it would of course be extremely Limited Edition, Japan only *_*

RegSNES
07-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Hmm, the sound effects are straight out of MM1-2. Looks like he climbs the ladders fast, though. After climbing ladders fast in MM3-6, slow climbing just sucks. And man, that music is catchy.

ShinobiMan
07-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Actual footage:
http://kotaku.com/5022413/lets-watch-the-first-mega-man-9-footage

Incredible. A new 8-bit game is born. Music is damn good! Classic!

swlovinist
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I about collapsed when I got my Nintendo Power and reading this post. What a dam cool idea to come along, and mega man to boot! +1 vote for a NES cart here. Capcom knows how to appease their fanbase. Hell YES!

8bitCaged
07-09-2008, 06:45 PM
It would if thay released a nes version

TonyTheTiger
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I can't imagine that this isn't being designed using NES coding. It would just be more of a hassle to use anything else and try to get it to come off right. May as well just make an actual NES game and have it come off right by default. The odds of the game being put on an actual cart are, of course, like one bagillionth of a percent but the thought is certainly no less full of win.

Arasoi
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
I wonder how many people are left at Capcom that still know how to use a Famicom devkit/program in 6502 etc.. it's interesting to speculate that it could be genuine NES compatible, at least. If its possible, someone clever will dump it off the Wii and make a ROM file out of it so we can slap it onto a flash or repro cart =)

Either way, this is going to be fantastic. Everything in the preview movie looked spot on to the originals.

NayusDante
07-09-2008, 08:37 PM
When I saw the the "rotating round thing" in screenshots, I really thought that it would be psuedo 3D effects in an otherwise 2D Wii game. After seeing in the video that there's only a few frames of animation to it, I think the possibility of true NES as the dev platform is still a possibility. Thing is, there's been rumors of online connectivity for leaderboards and such, which seems to kill the idea. At any rate, I'd rather buy the game and order a repro cart.

Sudo
07-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Online leaderboards and PSN/XBLA releases confirmed at IGN. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/888/888041p1.html)

NayusDante
07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
So there ARE leaderboards... Still, I can see it running on real NES hardware through emulation. Simply set variables to null, then insert times, a boolean for game completion, etc to be polled each processor cycle by the emulator. On real hardware, this would just be extra values in memory, but on the included emulator, it allows "online" functionality.

Then again, I'm just a wishful thinker...

At any rate, I'm happier than I can convey in words. It's going to be hard as hell to wait until Fall now...

Leo_A
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't see a sign of flicker anywhere in the graphics. Been a while since I've played the NES Mega Mans, but thought there was a fair bit in each of them.

I doubt its programmed as a NES game that they're just going to emulate, would make no sense. You'd have to work on creating a NES emulator for three different consoles, somehow integrating it with the internet, and having a full team programming for a system the company hasn't worked on for 15 years.

Safe to say the only thing they're taking from the NES titles is their inspiration and styling, in my opinion.

NayusDante
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3077/2656645713_2897d0c55b.jpg?v=0

New logo for the US release, similar to the Japanese logo. Finally.

Robot Masters with speculated name matchups, in order presented in the video:

-Splash Woman!-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3286/2656585145_92eb5fb0a5_m.jpg

-Galaxy Man-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3289/2656645645_109159c7bc_m.jpg

-Concrete Man-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2656645433_d78dcf2d06_m.jpg

-Tornado Man-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3294/2656645187_e7b16e4902_m.jpg

-Plug Man!-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2656644853_54df7f5ffb_m.jpg

-Jewel Man-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2657470704_c4a4d46185_m.jpg

-Magma Man-
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2657470456_5823be4334_m.jpg

Hornet Man, from what I see, has yet to be revealed.

Jorpho
07-10-2008, 09:07 PM
You'd have to work on creating a NES emulator for three different consoles, somehow integrating it with the internet, and having a full team programming for a system the company hasn't worked on for 15 years.

As far as the Wii goes, the NES emulator is already done, and it really couldn't be that hard to port such an emulator to the other consoles. And "internet integration" would just be a simple matter of uploading saveram data, or the equivalent. Hardly a big deal.

diskoboy
07-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Damn, Capcom. I'll just give you my bank account, already.

First you announce 2 Bionic Commandos. Then a new, 3-D, 1943; Then Street Fighter 4; Then RE5; Now I get to play the first new numbered Mega Man, in years, on my 360..

2008 - The year of Capcom.

boatofcar
07-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Damn, Capcom. I'll just give you my bank account, already.

First you announce 2 Bionic Commandos. Then a new, 3-D, 1943; Then Street Fighter 4; Then RE5; Now I get to play the first new numbered Mega Man, in years, on my 360..

2008 - The year of Capcom.

I gotta agree, Capcom's on a roll!

RegSNES
07-11-2008, 01:11 AM
The the people of 20XX actually believe Dr. Light is behind the robot's destruction, then they officially fail at life. How many times had old man Wily tried to conquer the world now?

Bratwurst
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
i love you cheetos

Leo_A
07-11-2008, 01:14 PM
As far as the Wii goes, the NES emulator is already done, and it really couldn't be that hard to port such an emulator to the other consoles. And "internet integration" would just be a simple matter of uploading saveram data, or the equivalent. Hardly a big deal.

The emulator is Nintendo's for the VC. Doubt they'd be handing it over for Capcom to port to the competition. You ignored my whole point anyways, they're not going to make this more complex and expensive programming for hardware no one in the company has touched for 15 years and work on emulating it on three systems, when they can use their heads and do it the logical, cheaper, and more efficient way in which their team has experience and skills.

TonyTheTiger
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
But I'm not sure it would be more efficient that way. If you want to make a game feel as close to an NES game as possible, it would probably be more efficient to make the game for the NES itself rather than making it under something else and adding an extra step in trying to get it "just right."

8bitCaged
07-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I can see a collectors edition of mega man 9 in a nice box for 100 dollars or more
I would buy one it would kick ass playing mega man 9 on my nes. And for coding its a 8bit game, not that heard to recode.

PS he still cant shoot up that not cool

TonyTheTiger
07-11-2008, 03:16 PM
I can see a collectors edition of mega man 9 in a nice box for 100 dollars or more
I would buy one it would kick ass playing mega man 9 on my nes. And for coding its a 8bit game, not that heard to recode.

PS he still cant shoot up that not cool

Woah...easy there, Rockefeller. ^^;

Fuyukaze
07-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Looks good so far. This may be the first Wii D/L game I get. Funny how Capcom aparently pulled the PSN and X-Box Live support last minute before E3. Not sure how it matters as every D/L system has games exclusive to their own system. Cant have access to all the games unless you have all the systems. Mega Man 9's a big announcment but it being exclusive isnt anything new. Dont see many Devil May Cry fans crying because 4 isnt on the Wii or how Resident Evil 5 isnt planed for it either.

Sudo
07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Looks good so far. This may be the first Wii D/L game I get. Funny how Capcom aparently pulled the PSN and X-Box Live support last minute before E3. Not sure how it matters as every D/L system has games exclusive to their own system. Cant have access to all the games unless you have all the systems. Mega Man 9's a big announcment but it being exclusive isnt anything new. Dont see many Devil May Cry fans crying because 4 isnt on the Wii or how Resident Evil 5 isnt planed for it either.

Mega Man 9 isn't exclusive. Capcom released a new trailer yesterday, it's coming to WiiWare, PSN and XBLA.

RegSNES
07-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I'll bet Capcom will return to the 4 E-Tank system in MM9. Maybe we'll get one S-Tank too. And please, no more disappearing final Wily battles. Capcom did that crap form MM4 onwards. It was the most annoying in MM7.

NayusDante
07-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm REALLY hoping that they reference the recent fandom.

I can't beat Air Man (Air Man Ga Taosennai) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr_gc_Z3SU)

Cryomancer
07-11-2008, 11:27 PM
well if they're gonna do that....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FzSR_TFMirs

Jorpho
07-12-2008, 01:24 AM
Gee, I didn't know they blew into carts in Japan as well. I wonder if that's where it started?

TonyTheTiger
07-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Gee, I didn't know they blew into carts in Japan as well. I wonder if that's where it started?

I imagine it started long before video games. Whenever you put something into something else expecting it to work and it doesn't, your first instinct is "clean it out."

rbudrick
07-14-2008, 04:10 PM
If this game was a chick, I'd probably try to have sex with it, and I will probably try anyway. My fiancee can commence being jealous right about now.

-Rob

NayusDante
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
well if they're gonna do that....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FzSR_TFMirs

I never figured out what Ultraman has to do with Rockman 2...

In Soviet Russia, game blows YOU!

Cryomancer
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Childhood memories, of course.

Arino on Game Center C-X blows into his famicom carts sometimes too, so it's pretty universal.

kainemaxwell
07-15-2008, 06:10 PM
trailer for Mega Man 9 is out.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36182.html

NayusDante
07-15-2008, 06:28 PM
trailer for Mega Man 9 is out.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36182.html

So the IGN trailer was the real thing. No differences here, just no watermark.

RegSNES
07-15-2008, 09:17 PM
This may be old but if you guys are looking to kill some time before MM9 comes out, I recommend these:

http://gamingrockson.blogspot.com/2008/07/fan-made-mega-man-games.html

http://gamingrockson.blogspot.com/2008/07/mets-love.html

NayusDante
07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
This may be old but if you guys are looking to kill some time before MM9 comes out, I recommend these:

http://gamingrockson.blogspot.com/2008/07/fan-made-mega-man-games.html

http://gamingrockson.blogspot.com/2008/07/mets-love.html

Hmmm, been a while since I played any PC fangames. Back then, They were all made in Klick & Play.

I've been a bit more interested in the rom hacking scene, which has come a LONG way. There's some awesome hacks out there, notably "Rockman Neo," "Megaman Ultra," and "No Constancy." No Constancy is rather difficult.

Jorpho
07-15-2008, 11:21 PM
And let's not forget ol' Stinkoman 20X6. (I hope the last level will finally be done one of these days.)

RegSNES
07-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Hmmm, been a while since I played any PC fangames. Back then, They were all made in Klick & Play.

I've been a bit more interested in the rom hacking scene, which has come a LONG way. There's some awesome hacks out there, notably "Rockman Neo," "Megaman Ultra," and "No Constancy." No Constancy is rather difficult.

I just got into the fangames and hack sense. Some pretty fun games out there.

I can't for the life of me get any of those hacks you listed to start up on my comp. The Hard Hat games are pretty fun, but Hard Hat 3 won't start up for some reason.

kainemaxwell
07-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Who wants to bet somehow, someone will find a way to get the rom data for MM9 and put it on nes repro carts, etc?

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Who wants to bet somehow, someone will find a way to get the rom data for MM9 and put it on nes repro carts, etc?

I think somebody will try to reproduce it via editing an existing Mega Man title ... and probably be marginally successful

... but on the programming nuts & bolts level, I'm sure that this game isn't ACTUALLY coded in the programming language of an NES game, thus making ripping a ROM of it downright impossible.

NayusDante
07-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Well, only time will tell. Like I've said before, everything we've seen so far is possible on NES, so there's still a chance.

To get the rom hacks to work, you need to obtain both the IPS patch and the rom it was made for. That means either the US or Japanese version, check the hack info to find out which, then use an IPS patcher to do the mod (I use IPSWin). Or, some sources host the hacked roms. Due to the usual regulations, I can't help you more than that.

NE146
07-16-2008, 09:33 AM
As everyone's mentioned already.. the big question in my mind is if this is done using actual NES coding or is it made to just "look" like it with the ability to a) make it flicker free and b) throw in some "extra" oomphs when needed (smoother animation, scaling, all sorts of little tricks, etc.)

That's what I'm wondering :p If it's the later who's to say we won't see some crazy stuff (while still maintaining that NES look/feel) in later parts of Dr. Wileys stage :hmm:

TonyTheTiger
07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't know. It's seems slightly backwards if they're shooting for a classic NES look and feel but then sprinkle in things that the NES could not do. It just sounds weird to me if Capcom is thinking "Let's make a new Mega Man game just like the ones on the NES. But not really." I just can't shake the feeling that if the game isn't coded for the NES and is only simulating it then it will only feel like the old games in a vague sense. We'll be able to sense the differences.

RegSNES
07-16-2008, 03:23 PM
This is cute/funny. http://i35.tinypic.com/o9iivm.png

TonyTheTiger
07-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Chun-Li as a reporter? Where did I see that before? Hm? :evil:

NayusDante
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/9142.html

In the 2nd stage video, listen to the guy talking. Sounds like: "We have an editor, and also online functionality"

Yet in the "walkthru," they claim "no next-gen features, focused on original MM1-style gameplay."

Heh, keeping us guessing.

dairugger
07-17-2008, 03:22 AM
behold, the nes style megaman 9 boxart!

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8809808&publicUserId=5379721

RegSNES
07-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Brings back memories, huh, guys? http://gamingrockson.blogspot.com/2008/07/mega-man-9-box-art-mockl-job.html

NayusDante
07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
I want a box with that on it... lol

It's so wrong, but it's so... true to the legacy?

Dreamc@sting
07-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Suddenly I wish I kept my Wii...

Oobgarm
07-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Suddenly I wish I kept my Wii...

Why? It's been verified for XBL and PSN. Unless it's the only next-gen machine you had/have...

Rob2600
07-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I want a box with that on it... lol

It's so wrong, but it's so... true to the legacy?

As humorous as that box art is, it's actually not true to the legacy. I remember the later NES Mega Man games featured a cartoony, proper looking Mega Man on the box:

MobyGames - Mega Man 3 box art (http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/mega-man-3/cover-art/gameCoverId,71706/)
MobyGames - Mega Man 4 box art (http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/mega-man-4/cover-art/gameCoverId,39991/)
MobyGames - Mega Man 5 box art (http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/mega-man-5/cover-art/gameCoverId,39989/)
MobyGames - Mega Man 6 box art (http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/mega-man-6/cover-art/gameCoverId,36752/)

ShinobiMan
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
The vibe I'm starting to get from this game is similar to when an old rock band tries to regain it's footing by doing an album that sounds like it's early, more popular and loved material. Often times the outcome is great (Cheap Trick '97) but it's never going to be exactly the same.

Still very excited for this release.

Sudo
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Is that Yoda looming in the background behind Mega Man?

carlcarlson
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

Hmm, I'm actually not too into that. It's somewhat reminiscent of MM1, but that was the black sheep of the NES artworks. All of the others had the cartoon thing going on, so I was kind of hoping for a throwback to that style.

TonyTheTiger
07-17-2008, 11:48 AM
They're taking the "old school" theme a little too far it seems. It's certainly a funny bit of irony which I'm sure is what they were going for but the problem is that there were far more "legit" box arts in Mega Man when compared to the first two black sheep. So the joke feels a little flat since a "real" new NES Mega Man would have art more akin to Mega Man 5 or 6.

c0ldb33r
07-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Ha, that's awesome. I love it.

joedick
07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Hmm, I'm actually not too into that. It's somewhat reminiscent of MM1, but that was the black sheep of the NES artworks. All of the others had the cartoon thing going on, so I was kind of hoping for a throwback to that style.

It's just a gag. Besides, it's nothing official. Something only for Capcom employees.

Lostdwarf
07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
it's a cross of yoda and darth vader ha!

http://www.1up.com/media/03/5/7/9/lg/392.jpg?r

Cryomancer
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
See also the Mega Man movie standees in Dead Rising. It's just Capcom having some fun. I find it hilarious, personally.

NayusDante
07-18-2008, 12:04 AM
If anybody sees those shirts on eBay, PLEASE ALERT ME!

RegSNES
07-18-2008, 01:59 PM
I would pimp one of those shirts proudly. Believe it.

rbudrick
07-18-2008, 03:22 PM
There's so many layers of awesome and win in that, I can't even begin to cover it.

-Rob

heybtbm
07-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I'll agree with the general sentiment. The cover kicks ass.

NayusDante
07-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Gah, nothing on eBay yet. This is the closest thing I can find:

http://i19.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/c7/18/2948_1.JPG

megasdkirby
07-18-2008, 05:11 PM
My Wii will definetly be getting some love when this get's released!

GarrettCRW
07-19-2008, 01:17 AM
I Just looked at the stuff on GameTrailers, and here's what I noticed:

-The story seems to be that Wily's in jail (as seen at the end of MM8), but robots go haywire, prompting Mega Man to action. However, I'm a tad confused, because Dr. Light gets the blame, but Wily is seen giving out his Swiss bank account number (implying that Wily is extorting the world's leaders).

-The news anchor during the story sequence is Chun Li!

-The Mettools have "devolved" into their basic Mega Man 1 selves.

-The ever-annoying low-to-the-ground robots are also the versions from the first game.

-With the exception of the Energy increase sound, all of the physics and sounds appear to adhere to those of the later NES games (3+).

-The menus seem to purposely lack the boss names or their usual mug shots.

Overbite
07-22-2008, 08:09 PM
The graphics are pretty good for a Wii game.

Crzycarl7
07-22-2008, 08:54 PM
yea I can't wait for this game, I've been itchen to play Mega man games as of late, so I've been hitting my NES hard. LOL

Oobgarm
07-23-2008, 05:28 AM
If anybody sees those shirts on eBay, PLEASE ALERT ME!

Looks like Capcom will be selling them.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/23/capcom-to-sell-intentionally-awful-mega-man-9-shirts/

Jorpho
07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
Someone ought to find and interview whoever designed that old Mega Man 1 box art.

kainemaxwell
07-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Looks like Capcom will be selling them.
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/23/capcom-to-sell-intentionally-awful-mega-man-9-shirts/
I'd so buy that for the lulz.

segarocks30
07-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Practically drooling over my keyboard for when this game comes out. Thanks for actually being awesome Capcom, and being ballsy enough to put an 8-Bit MM out in 2008, the original Mega Man. Thank God.

evil_genius
07-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Gotta get that shirt.

Arasoi
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Bumping this thread with some news on a (seemingly) relevant topic in here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3752/he_is_8bit_capcoms_hironobu_.php

The producer Hironobu Takeshita has confirmed that the game is not really 8 bit, just emulates the style, and also speaks about development difficulties with Inti Creates. Since Inti Creates worked on the Zero and ZX games I expect some of the control and difficulty problems from those games to manifest themselves in one way or another in 9.

As I thought, they don't even have Famicom devkits anymore. Oh well, it was a worthy dream. Still looking forward to getting this.

Sabz5150
08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
And the debate has officially been settled.

I surely hope they do this right. They have a LOT of eyes on them right now.

NayusDante
08-06-2008, 05:43 PM
The fake is a lie.

rbudrick
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Even though it isn't using emulation, Someone is going to convert this to NES and/or SNES (SNES to do the things a NES can't).

-Rob

Arasoi
08-09-2008, 04:11 AM
But will it cut?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n310/Protogem/willitcut.jpg

That is the question.

dairugger
08-09-2008, 06:13 AM
seems theres going to be the option for screen flicker, for that nes retro feel.

Sudo
08-12-2008, 06:23 PM
The achievements for the game have been revealed. (http://inside.mygamercard.net/2008/08/12/achievements-for-mega-man-9-reward-the-hardcore/) All I can say is... "wow."

Arasoi
08-26-2008, 03:06 AM
http://www.gpara.com/pickupnews/news/080824_rockman/03.php

Bumping this for a cover art shot from a Rockman 20th anniversary show in Japan. It shows headshots of all the bosses, and Skull Castle in the background. Classic art style too. Neat!

TonyTheTiger
08-26-2008, 11:49 AM
So I guess that poster is the Japanese equivalent of the would-be box art? Seems sound enough. I would like to buy the poster they had at E3 from somewhere but I'm afraid it'll be like the leg lamp from A Christmas Story. It looks totally awesome until it's there in your house (my sister bought one) and then it's just gaudy.

ShinobiMan
09-12-2008, 09:29 AM
According to wikipedia and gamespot.com, it looks like we have a release date now (At least for XBOX LIVE ARCADE).

September, 24th, 2008

Mark your calenders MEGA HEADS! It's going to be a day to remember.

SegaAges
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
those acheivements look insane.

would be fun though.

For the save feature, hopefully it is not a save state deal where you can save anywhere, or else it will be way too easy to get the acheivements.

fpbrush
09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
The vibe I'm starting to get from this game is similar to when an old rock band tries to regain it's footing by doing an album that sounds like it's early, more popular and loved material. Often times the outcome is great (Cheap Trick '97) but it's never going to be exactly the same.

Still very excited for this release.

I couldn't agree with this more. I've been a fan of Mega Man for a long time. Rented the NES games a million times when I was a kid. Watched the cartoons...and liked them. Took a break from it, then my interest was rekindled with Mega Man 8 and the X series (and revisiting the SNES games I missed out on). I remember selling my N64 I had at the time just so I could buy 8, X4, and Legends 2 (which I still think is a good game in it's own right). And, a big part of me buying a GBA was the screen shots of Battle Network (a game which I love to this day). So I think it's safe to say I like pretty much all things Mega Man (though I agree the Zero series is damn difficult and kind of out there as far as story goes).

So, I have mixed feelings about this release. Because deep down I really just wanted them to make Mega Man 9 as a true sequel to 8, with a little bit of graphic and gameplay changes, because I feel like that's ALWAYS how the classic series has been developed. From 1 all the way to 8, the series has transformed very slowly when you think about how many games have been put out, and how very little the core gameplay has changed, which I think is a real testament to how great the series really is. So it seems very strange to just throw all that progress out, and revert back to the NES era. Like, guys, we had SIX NES Mega Man games...do we really need another? Is there any other series in the history of videogames that has that many sequels on the same system? While I am still excited about the "retro" aspect of this release--what I really wanted was just a sequel. A nice Playstation 3 or Wii game with Mega Man 8 style packaging, etc. Just a solid 2-d platformer that Mega Man has always been. Will this prevent me from getting it? Hell, no. On the contrary it will probably convince me to make the jump to the next-gen, which I haven't done yet. But part of me feels...you just can't go back. Just like that Okusenmen video (thank you whoever posted that, haha, i listened to that song so many times but never knew the words aside from "Okusenmen" and "Ultraraman!" and it was awesome to see it with animation, but anyways..) it's not that I don't want to go back to those NES heydays...but kind of just want to keep memories, memories, and continue on.

That was deep.

Either way, if like someone said that Protoman might be playable--I will forgive all this, haha. Cause Protoman is the most underappreciated character in the series. And the fact you could play Forte (Bass) in the SNES game but not Protoman, was sad. If not with this release...someday!!!

NayusDante
09-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Just like that Okusenmen video (thank you whoever posted that, haha, i listened to that song so many times but never knew the words aside from "Okusenmen" and "Ultraraman!" and it was awesome to see it with animation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSR_TFMirs - Okusenman with subs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEfQNhXLqo&feature=related - Air Man Ga Taosenai with numerous anime parodies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr_gc_Z3SU&feature=related - Air Man Ga Taosenai sung in Engrish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg - Air Man Ga Taosenai subtitled

Volcanon
09-12-2008, 07:54 PM
we had SIX NES Mega Man games...do we really need another?

Yes, yes we do.

fpbrush
09-12-2008, 07:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKEfQNhXLqo&feature=related - Air Man Ga Taosenai with numerous anime parodies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdr_gc_Z3SU&feature=related - Air Man Ga Taosenai sung in Engrish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg - Air Man Ga Taosenai subtitled

Haha, thanks. Just finished watching them all. I wasn't too familiar with the Air Man Ga Taosenai videos so that was a treat. The parody one was a little scary sometimes...but the actual parodies themselves made up for it (eva and castle in the sky come to mind haha).

Good times. The Mega Man fanbase will always be my favorite.

NayusDante
09-12-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.interordi.com/mboard - My favorite community dedicated to the series. Not as active these days, but still a great forum.

fpbrush
09-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes, yes we do.

Haha, fair enough.

http://www.interordi.com/mboard - My favorite community dedicated to the series. Not as active these days, but still a great forum.

Thanks, it's been a long time since I've been connected to the fanbase, but I will be sure to poke around there. Back in early 2000 I was really into not only MM but the online community as well. Even had the obligatory failed MM site ^^; It sure was alot of fun though...making affiliates, uploading sprites, screencaps and all that... anyways, thanks again!

Oobgarm
09-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Want to hear the soundtrack?

http://www.rockmanpm.com/?p=music/rockman9original

Wily Stage 2 sounds like it belongs with the best of the best.

swlovinist
09-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Mega Man 9 is an example of making a great retro game.

I can forgive that it is a digital copy....it is only $10

Something that I can afford, somthing that looks like it will rock

kainemaxwell
09-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Want to hear the soundtrack?

http://www.rockmanpm.com/?p=music/rockman9original

Wily Stage 2 sounds like it belongs with the best of the best.
It's a must-buy.

joshnickerson
09-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Either way, if like someone said that Protoman might be playable--I will forgive all this, haha. Cause Protoman is the most underappreciated character in the series. And the fact you could play Forte (Bass) in the SNES game but not Protoman, was sad. If not with this release...someday!!!

It's been confirmed. Protoman will be available as DLC for two bux, probably a week or so after release of the game.

http://kotaku.com/5052765/proto-man-playable-via-dlc
(Warning: Standard Kotaku comment bitching ahead)

Press_Start
09-21-2008, 12:14 PM
It's been confirmed. Protoman will be available as DLC for two bux, probably a week or so after release of the game.

http://kotaku.com/5052765/proto-man-playable-via-dlc
(Warning: Standard Kotaku comment bitching ahead)

Paying two dollars for a sprite in this day and age does warrant some complaints. They should have made Protoman part of the package as an unlockable when you beat the game.

Policenaut
09-21-2008, 12:37 PM
For $10 it is a great buy.

Sotenga
09-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, its release is tomorrow. I am incredibly stoked yet saddened that I cannot spend anything at the moment. Also, I'm waiting to see if there will be any major differences between the console versions to determine if one is better than the other for some reason. I doubt they will be significantly varied, but I want to get the best version when feasible.

NayusDante
09-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Wii version supposedly has better pixel-per-pixel rendering. The others use smoothing effects in the upscaling, which kills the 8-bit look.

When does Wiiware get uploaded? I might stay up til midnight tonight...

Kitsune Sniper
09-21-2008, 01:57 PM

... Well.

That song depressed the shit outta me.

joedick
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
When does Wiiware get uploaded? I might stay up til midnight tonight...

Don't bother, I think they typically go up around noon EST.

TonyTheTiger
09-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Paying two dollars for a sprite in this day and age does warrant some complaints. They should have made Protoman part of the package as an unlockable when you beat the game.

I think it's all about timing. If the game is out for two months and then they announce Protoman will be downloadable for $2 people probably wouldn't complain. But when downloadable content is announced prior to the game's release it comes off like they're intentionally withholding content in order to double dip people's pockets. Which is funny because if they were to actually withhold content and just wait a couple of months to release it nobody would take much issue with that since it's just "bonus features." It doesn't matter what they're selling. What matters to people is when they're selling it.

exit
09-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I've been preparing for this game and started playing Mega Man Collection for PS2, I forgot how damn hard these games were. Playing MM 2 and 3 really did bring back memories tho, only this time I can get past the levels a little easier. If Mega Man 9 can hold up to those, then I'll be a very happy guy.

Sotenga
09-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Pseudo-relevant to the thread: Has anyone played the NES rendition of Mega Man 7 yet? If not, goferit! The site's all in Japanese, but the game is available at the "ver.final2" link. http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html

I guess it's technically Rock Man 7, though. It's all in Japanese, but damn near similar to the SNES version with a few changes. A: All eight Robot Masters are available to fight at the beginning, B: The Shop isn't accessible (or if it is, then I have no idea how to summon it), C: A few cutscenes are not present (the meeting with Bass in Shade Man's stage, I think), D: RMs are not stunned when hit with the right weapon (essentially making boss fights harder), and E: The intro and mid-game stage at the Robot Museum have been omitted. It's a bit more streamlined and filled with slightly less content than the SNES version, but it's still very well worth playing to witness how impressively it's been translated.

Also, there's a Rock Man 8 NES-style in the works! It's not close to being finished, but they at least have some of the music up for listening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5wY4ZoAsPI

I doubt these are news around here, but I thought I'd post the NES-style MM7 and MM8 for those who are like me: Severely compulsive to play things in perfect sequence down to the last detail. Since MM9 returns to the 8-bit-style of visuals, playing 8-bit MM7 and MM8 makes the return to form feel all the more natural. :)

NayusDante
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Some reviews criticized some unballanced difficulty. Some levels are supposedly the HARDEST levels out of the whole series, but a few others are no challenge whatsoever.

megasdkirby
09-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Can't wait.

I want it to be tomorrow already!!!

joshnickerson
09-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Pseudo-relevant to the thread: Has anyone played the NES rendition of Mega Man 7 yet? If not, goferit! The site's all in Japanese, but the game is available at the "ver.final2" link. http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html

It's pretty cool.... is there a way to play with a gamepad?

megasdkirby
09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
I give it a few weeks until someone converts this to an NES cart.

Even if it's from scratch.

Just watch.

NayusDante
09-21-2008, 11:10 PM

Just watch.

I can see it now. A Japanese video on YouTube with tons of American 12-year-olds commenting either "I liek Battle Network" or "why are the graphics teh suck?"

One of the stand managers at the flea market the other day had the latter to say about it, he looked about 17. I'm 20, so did I really just make it in on the end of the 8-bit era? Maybe I just hate the younger generation...

At any rate, it's after midnight. Any time today...

ShinobiMan
09-22-2008, 12:18 AM
II'm 20, so did I really just make it in on the end of the 8-bit era? Maybe I just hate the younger generation...

Yeah man, you just barely made it. Any younger and it's "Kid Icarus? Oh, you mean Pit from Super Smash Bros."

Sotenga
09-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Score, it's out on the Wii! I have yet to get it, but I want to hear first impressions from everyone who has it. :)

NayusDante
09-22-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm not seeing it in the shop... Last update on news was the 15th.

megasdkirby
09-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Do I need the new firmware?

I don't want to download if I need the new firmware...

Mayhem
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
I'm not seeing it in the shop... Last update on news was the 15th.

Updates are usually sometime after midday EST.

8-bitNesMan
09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm 20, so did I really just make it in on the end of the 8-bit era? Maybe I just hate the younger generation...

I got my first NES the year you were born... Now I feel really OLD! :D

megasdkirby
09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Just downloaded it at 12:00pm!

Just saw the GAME OVER screen.

Good times.... :)

NayusDante
09-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I got it at about quarter-past. I've defeated Splash Woman and Galaxy Man, both with the arm cannon. I've also been defeated by Plug Man and Tornado Man.

The Wiimote is NOT responsive enough. Classic Controller seems good. I swear the game said it supported GCN controller, but that doesn't seem to work.

Great game, but I've noticed a few things that aren't very NES-like. Mostly, depth of sound and such. Even though the background music instruments cut out for sound effects, they stop and start with the wrong timing. Also, the edges of the screen don't have garbage data! The NES games had garbage data on the very edge of the screen, usually cut off by an analog TV.

kainemaxwell
09-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Protoman is only $2. Stop complaining.

Great game, but I've noticed a few things that aren't very NES-like. Mostly, depth of sound and such. Even though the background music instruments cut out for sound effects, they stop and start with the wrong timing. Also, the edges of the screen don't have garbage data! The NES games had garbage data on the very edge of the screen, usually cut off by an analog TV.
Who cares?

NayusDante
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Who cares?

I care. It was neat.

Plug Man is dead.

Sudo
09-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I can't wait till Thursday so I can play this myself.

calgon
09-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Ok, why are people complaining that this is hard.....perhaps just becuase I grew up in the NES-era, this seems like another entry in the regular series. I already like this more than 4,5, or 6.

megasdkirby
09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Ok, why are people complaining that this is hard.....perhaps just becuase I grew up in the NES-era, this seems like another entry in the regular series. I already like this more than 4,5, or 6.

Thought that too, but then I realized I liked it more because it's a new entry for so many years...the novelty of it.

My fav still goes to part 6 and part 3.

Frankie_Says_Relax
09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
What's the save system like?

Can you save between levels?

Sudo
09-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Apparently, there's going to be a bunch of DLC available for the game next month according to the in-game manual.

TO BE RELEASED IN OCTOBER...

- Endless Attack: A never ending level where players compete for who arrives the farthest. (300 Points)

- Hero Mode: Play the whole game on a higher difficulty. (100 Points)

- Superhero Mode: Play the whole game on an extremely high difficulty. (100 Points)

- Proto Man Mode: Play the game as Proto Man (200 Points)

- Special Stage: A brand new stage with a brand new boss for Time Attack. (100 Points)

I'm assuming the PS3 and 360 versions will have all of this available as well, since they're getting Proto Man. I really don't like how they're charging for all of this stuff, I must say. Seems like content that should be included from the start, perhaps for accomplishing certain feats in the game. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is packed with stuff like this. That said, I'm a huge Mega Man fan so I'm going to contribute to the problem despite my bitching and at least buy Proto Man and the special stage.

BrYaN55
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
The game is hard, but it's very easy to get energy tank from the "shop". And yes, it's not really that different from the other Mega Man games difficulty-wise. I am at the end now, very close to Wily. There's a boss that cause me problem, I will probably beat him tomorrow, I have to sleep now:)

I love almost everything in this game. But if I had two complaints, that will be:

1 - The difficulty is a little too much based on platforming elements. Moving platforms, wind effect, water effect, bloc appearing and disappearing. While it's really well made and fun, I though the game rely a little too much on that kind of difficulty. Nothing major.

2 - One thing I don't understand, is why they removed the "slide"? (sorry if it's not the right word for it). I know Mega Man 2 was the inspiration for this game, but why removing this ability but incorporating elements from Mega Man 7 like collecting screws to buy things in a shop? Why Rush is there? Beat? ect? Why removing the slide of all things?

Aside from these two minor details, I really enjoy this game! And like Sotenga said, if you've never played the "demake" of Mega Man 7, you are missing on something very good! To be honest, the demake of Mega Man 7 is almost better than Mega Man 9:embarrassed:

Sorry for my so-so english.

ShinobiMan
09-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, I was waiting for the XBOX LIVE version because that's what me and my cousins compete on (what with achievements and all), but I caved in and got the Wii version. (I still plan on getting the 360 version next week).

My first thoughts...

OK, I've spent the last hour or so playing this game. It's been a long time coming folks, but we finally have a new Mega Man game worth talking about.

Is this game challenging? HOLY HELL YES! It's been a LONG time since I played a game this difficult. I'm a diehard Mega Man player too, and these levels are the REAL DEAL. Very innovative in design. It's definitely the best Mega Man game since 6, and in terms of creativity edges out 4 & 5 also.

SO far I've only managed to beat the Galaxy Man stage. I've tried some of the others and got my ass handed to me. For God's sake, I feel like I'm 5 years old again playing Mega Man 2 for the first time. Seriously, I did not expect to view the GAME OVER screen this many times in one hour. But it's all good, because that's the way we like it, and I'm surely going to master this thing in a week.

NayusDante
09-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I still think that 4-5 were more creative. 9 is definitely more ambitious though. From a technical perspective, it's more complex than most things I've seen on NES. Things like the rotation platforms in Tornado Man's stage and the shadows in Plug Man's stage are more complex in concept than any of the other gadgets in the series. Heck, the shadows die when they hit the spikes! THAT made me smile. I also grinned at the rain going the opposite way.

Is anyone else SERIOUSLY DISTURBED by the "expiration date" comment that Roll makes? I wonder if this has something to do with the need for Reploids to be developed...

Volcanon
09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Downloadable content like more levels and such? We can get our megaman fix for years to come.

Maybe protoman will be more than a different sprite. He could jump shorter and farther or something.

Sudo
09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Downloadable content like more levels and such? We can get our megaman fix for years to come.

Maybe protoman will be more than a different sprite. He could jump shorter and farther or something.

He is (http://www.gamesradar.com/f/mega-man-9-proto-man-dlc-on-the-way/a-20080918175646958001) different.

Sabz5150
09-22-2008, 08:21 PM

Just watch.

And I give it a few weeks before I plunk down cash to get one.

I just downloaded it a half an hour ago, and I still have the biggest sh!t eating grin on my face. I feel like I'm 8 years old again! I forgot what it felt like to be overly excited about a video game release.

Back to the game!

NayusDante
09-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Here's a spoiler:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2880971218_b273e1b10a.jpg?v=0

Who knew?

So how do you get past the three magma pipes in Wily stage 1?

Kyle15
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I downloaded it this morning, and it is amazing!
They really hit the nail on the head with the game's look though. Except, it looks better than a regular NES game.
Maybe it's the extra layer of details and animations that seem to be sprinkled about....

Progress wise, I have not gotten that far. I beat SplashWoman with the RockBuster, and ConcreteMan with the trident weapon.
The other stages are quite crazy (in a good way), so I don't really know how I am going to get past those. @_@

ShinobiMan
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
He is (http://www.gamesradar.com/f/mega-man-9-proto-man-dlc-on-the-way/a-20080918175646958001) different.

Oh I see now, they give Protoman the slide and buster charger attack (things Mega Man should have already had) and want you to spend an extra two dollars to access them. Nice one Capcom. You clever little devils.

I'll save the man in red for the 360 version. :-D

I have two robot masters left (Concrete and Plug Man), then it's on to Wily's Castle.

Kid Fenris
09-22-2008, 11:02 PM
So how do you get past the three magma pipes in Wily stage 1?

There are two ways (spoilers):

1) Freeze the magma beams with the concrete weapon.

2) Before the magma beams start, hop on top of the first pipe on the left, activate Rush Jet, and quickly ride it to the ladders.

Cobra Commander
09-23-2008, 12:45 AM
This game is the reason I hated and loved Mega Man when I was a kid.
It's hard, but when you know what to watch for, you can usually get through it.
As much as I love this game, it's handing me my ass at the moment.
Which robot did you guys go after first? Me, I beat Galaxy Man first. His level was pretty much a breeze.

TonyTheTiger
09-23-2008, 01:28 AM
There are two ways (spoilers):

1) Freeze the magma beams with the concrete weapon.

2) Before the magma beams start, hop on top of the first pipe on the left, activate Rush Jet, and quickly ride it to the ladders.

I was doing it in a different, and possibly more pain in the ass, way. The second I saw it I was like "What the holy hell?" I climb the ladder mashing the fire button with Rush Coil equipped. Rush lands to my right. I jump on Rush with just enough time to grab the leftmost ladder. I then change to Tornado Blow. I fire it and use the brief period of levitation to move over to the rightmost ladder.

It's a great game and I love it. But it is freakin' relentless. Far more difficult than any other Mega Man game. And that includes the Game Boy games, Mega Man & Bass, the entire X series...

It actually feels like a romhack at times because it does things that Mega Man is not known for. There are more than a few instances where the game baits you into screwing up much like a Ninja Gaiden would.

Which robot did you guys go after first? Me, I beat Galaxy Man first. His level was pretty much a breeze.

I first picked Tornado Man. Got screwed up at those spinny things and went elsewhere. Splash Woman was the first to fall. I do agree with some of the critics. The difficulty is unusual. Concrete Man is a joke with even the Mega Buster but I get creamed by Magma Man if I don't use the right weapon. Then you have some stages that are cakewalks while others beat the living crap out of you.

Press_Start
09-23-2008, 02:07 AM
Just beat all 8 bosses and now I'm at Wily's Castle. I gotta say this game looks, feels, acts, and plays like the Megaman we all grew up with. Especially the difficulty, spikes, pit falls, hard bosses, and all. No other MM, besides 1 and 2, has made curse out loud in joy like this. Suddenly, it feels like I've gone back to the 80's and playing on the NES.

The only letdown (so far) is the DLC (higher difficulty, Protoman, new stage). They should have put all extras into original release, instead charge it for extra.

Btw, how the sales numbers for MM9?

Sabz5150
09-23-2008, 05:50 AM
I first picked Tornado Man. Got screwed up at those spinny things and went elsewhere. Splash Woman was the first to fall. I do agree with some of the critics. The difficulty is unusual. Concrete Man is a joke with even the Mega Buster but I get creamed by Magma Man if I don't use the right weapon. Then you have some stages that are cakewalks while others beat the living crap out of you.

Odd, I made Magma Man my first victim. You just gotta be quick on your feet ;)

Sabz5150
09-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Here's a spoiler:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2880971218_b273e1b10a.jpg?v=0

Who knew?

You... BASTARD!!!

ROFL

ShinobiMan
09-23-2008, 08:32 AM
OK, so Wily's castle kicked my ass last night before I had to call it a night. Looks like I'll be replaying it tonight. It's times like this I wish I didn't have a job. Funny thing, it's just like the old days, only instead of school, it's a job that interferes with my gaming. Ah thank you Capcom for bringing back that special feeling again.

Sabz5150
09-23-2008, 08:51 AM
OK, so I Wily's castle kicked my ass last night before I had to call it a night. Looks like I'll be replaying it tonight. It's times like this I wish I didn't have a job. Funny thing, it's just like the old days, only instead of school, it's a job that interferes with my gaming. Ah thank you Capcom for bringing back that special feeling again.

Well I am relieved that I wasn't the only one considering calling in "sick" today.

NayusDante
09-23-2008, 08:52 AM
So has anybody found out if the game saves between Wily stages?

ShinobiMan
09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
So has anybody found out if the game saves between Wily stages?

It does not, that's why I have to replay it.

TonyTheTiger
09-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Odd, I made Magma Man my first victim. You just gotta be quick on your feet ;)

I'm sure it's just the fact that I'm so used to playing the older games from sheer memory that makes me feel like those are far easier. I'm sure that after a few weeks I'll be able to blow through this one just the same. It just came as a bit of a shock thanks to the perfectly placed enemies and pitfalls which was usually the exception rather than the rule in 1-8. I've also never seen so many mets in one game before. Thankfully they used Mega Man 1's mets rather than the more annoying ones from later games. Walking ones from 2 or splitting ones from 5.

Sabz5150
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm sure it's just the fact that I'm so used to playing the older games from sheer memory that makes me feel like those are far easier. I'm sure that after a few weeks I'll be able to blow through this one just the same. It just came as a bit of a shock thanks to the perfectly placed enemies and pitfalls which was usually the exception rather than the rule in 1-8. I've also never seen so many mets in one game before. Thankfully they used Mega Man 1's mets rather than the more annoying ones from later games. Walking ones from 2 or splitting ones from 5.

It's always the baddies that pop up out of the pits that get me. Even with MM4's Dustman stage, I'll forget about them and down I go, shouting "SON OF A..." the entire way.

MM9 will be second nature soon enough, just think 'jitterbug'.

TonyTheTiger
09-23-2008, 11:25 AM
It's always the baddies that pop up out of the pits that get me. Even with MM4's Dustman stage, I'll forget about them and down I go, shouting "SON OF A..." the entire way.

My first game took me an unusual amount of time because two of my friends were with me and we were swapping the controller after every death. It didn't help that my one friend was so painfully cautious that he wouldn't jump over any holes before checking for those things.

Sotenga
09-23-2008, 12:02 PM
The only letdown (so far) is the DLC (higher difficulty, Protoman, new stage). They should have put all extras into original release, instead charge it for extra.

A friend of mine is incredibly pissed off due to this unscrupulous measure of extracting more money from gamers' pockets. I'll admit it's rather rotten, but... I wonder, is it enough reason to boycott the game overall?

TonyTheTiger
09-23-2008, 01:18 PM
A friend of mine is incredibly pissed off due to this unscrupulous measure of extracting more money from gamers' pockets. I'll admit it's rather rotten, but... I wonder, is it enough reason to boycott the game overall?

I still think that this is a timing thing rather than what they're selling. People freak over DLC because they say they shouldn't be charged for stuff that should have been in the game from the beginning, right? But what consists of things that should have been there? If Protoman is announced before the game's release then people scream that they should have made him unlockable within the game itself. Yet if Capcom never mentioned Protoman then nobody would have expected him to be unlockable. And so what if Protoman is released two months from now? Then does it qualify as something that should have been there to begin with or something that was added to the game after release as an extra addition?

Press_Start
09-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Trust me, the game alone was well worth the price. ;)

I've mostly viewed extras as a sign from developers of their dedication to the game and to its fans. Putting a price on that questions if that extra mile was motivated for its sake or for money.

theoakwoody
09-23-2008, 02:28 PM
How many blocks does Mega Man 9 take up? I'm running a little low so I guess it's off to the old SD Card for Super Castlevania.

NayusDante
09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't believe it takes very much. The download was REALLY fast.

Take a look at this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2883267498_c9f772d332.jpg?v=0

Just leave it like that and power-ups just drop down. Fill your bolts, lives, weapons, etc. Who still thinks this game is hard?

TonyTheTiger
09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
How many blocks does Mega Man 9 take up? I'm running a little low so I guess it's off to the old SD Card for Super Castlevania.

66 blocks. Which is funny because though I don't know how much a block actually is that's about three times as much as the average NES game on the Virtual Console. In fact, it's larger than most SNES and Genesis games on there.

Arasoi
09-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Great game, great ending.

*SPOILERS START*

Anybody catch the familiar schematic in the background in the ending? Odd they would show that like he wasnt built yet, when it clearly shows the old man begging 9 times for mercy. Maybe some of those are the GB titles?

*SPOILERS END*

Anyway, best 10 bucks Ive spent in years. It recaptures MM2's magic handily.

NayusDante
09-23-2008, 07:13 PM
UGHHH! I seriously can't take it! I got to Wily's last form! This is NOT fair! I had to use all NINE energy tanks AND my M tank just to get there, leaving me with nothing left.... GAAAAAAHHHH....

Famidrive-16
09-23-2008, 07:41 PM
So, I just beat Galaxy Man first. Who should I try next?

ShinobiMan
09-23-2008, 08:26 PM
UGHHH! I seriously can't take it! I got to Wily's last form! This is NOT fair! I had to use all NINE energy tanks AND my M tank just to get there, leaving me with nothing left.... GAAAAAAHHHH....

I hear you man, that damned castle kicked my ass. I now have to go back and gather more bolts to stock up on energy tanks again. I had no idea Wily had 4 forms, so I used my tanks prior to the final form, when THATS the time you want to use them! Oh well, guess I'll have to go through this bloody castle again.

Press_Start
09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
I had no idea Wily had 4 forms, so I used my tanks prior to the final form, when THATS the time you want to use them!

4 forms? Don't you mean 3? :wink 2:

Sabz5150
09-23-2008, 08:55 PM

Splash Woman drops rather quick (not with the Black Hole, though). Just keep to your timing and she'll be a cakewalk. Then show off her trident to ol' Concrete.

ShinobiMan
09-23-2008, 09:41 PM
4 forms? Don't you mean 3? :wink 2:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Good catch!

ShinobiMan
09-23-2008, 10:40 PM
I Just beat the game. Now that's what I call a challenging boss fight. Make sure you have a decent supply of energy tanks before fighting Wily.

It's been a long time since I've felt this accomplished winning a game. Thank you Capcom for bringing back those old feelings. Here's hoping this one sells well enough to warrant a Mega Man 10.

Now I'm looking forward to the 360 version so I can apply my skills towards some rankings and achievements!

Famidrive-16
09-24-2008, 02:08 AM
So what's the secret about the bubble jumping pattern on Splash's stage? I'd totally own this place if it wasn't for this frikkin thing.

edit: nvm, just figured it out.

SpaceHarrier
09-24-2008, 02:24 AM
This game is a bastard, but it's such a blast! Galaxy Man stage and boss are so easy compared to EVERYTHING else! It's fun though. I believe it is fun through its simplicity..

Now, can we get a Megaman X sequel in the SNES style?

Mayhem
09-24-2008, 04:17 AM

Jewel Man. He loses his protection and takes some decent damage from the black hole gun...

VG_Maniac
09-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Does anyone know what the "Costume" you buy in the shop for 200 bolts does? (it's the item that looks like Roll's head). I bought one, and I can't figure out its purpose.

NayusDante
09-24-2008, 05:42 AM
It changes Roll's outfit to her MM8 one. For another 200, you can change it back. No, she doesn't change into "hot, older Roll."

Sabz5150
09-24-2008, 06:56 AM
It changes Roll's outfit to her MM8 one. For another 200, you can change it back. No, she doesn't change into "hot, older Roll."

You have now ensured that nobody will drop the 200 screws for that.

Cobra Commander
09-24-2008, 10:57 PM
You know what gets me? Why does the game over screen have to be so damned cheery?
It's like, "You just lost again you asshole. Why don't you try a couple dozen more times champ?"

exit
09-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Got this game almost right after the store updated, which was earlier than usual. Well so far I'm satisfied with the game, but also a little disappointed with a few things, it's nothing I can't look past tho.

I understand they wanted to model the game after Mega Man 2, but it felt odd hearing the Game Over tune playing in the main menu, it just doesn't fit at all. They also ripped the stage intro music from MM2 as well, which again kind of annoyed me, it would've been great to hear a more updated 8bit version of it. Also, why the hell did they take out sliding? There are some parts that warrant sliding (I noticed one immediately just seconds in Plug Man's stage) and it can really mess you up when you do it as a reflex.

Again these are things that I'll get over probably by the end of the day, so it's really not anything that matters in the end. Other than that it's a great deal for $10 and I'm looking forward to what Capcom will come up with next.

Frankie_Says_Relax
09-25-2008, 04:31 PM
I was never a huge fan of the sliding mechanic in the NES Mega Man games ... since it essentially made you move a tiny bit faster, most people I knew would just use it repeatedly/non-stop instead of walking ... which kind of undermined the whole point of walking.

I guess that's kind of a strange gripe ... but I don't mind it not being there.

TonyTheTiger
09-25-2008, 04:38 PM
There are some parts that warrant sliding (I noticed one immediately just seconds in Plug Man's stage)

It's actually Hornet Man's weapon that gets you that bolt. Though it does seem like they built a few areas with sliding in mind as an alternative due to Protoman having that ability.

I'd also like to point out that this game no longer feels so difficult. The first time through I was still feeling things out and getting beaten by all the little surprises. Now everything seems in order and I can beat most of the robot masters rather handily with the mega buster, though Hornet Man and Plug Man are still big pains.

One thing I'd like to ask is how some people are getting these absurdly short times in the time attack mode. I hauled ass through Wily Stage 3 in 4 minutes. I thought that was pretty quick until I saw that all the high scores are about 2 minutes quicker than that.

Frankie_Says_Relax
09-25-2008, 10:18 PM
This is just an amazing DLC title ...

... I'm not sure about everybody else, but for me - between Bionic Commando Re-Armed, Mega Man 9, Braid, Castle Crashers, 1942 Joint Strike, Strong Bad's CGFAP, Dr. Mario Online RX and many others, I think that this is the first year that I've potentially enjoyed and/or appreciated more DLC exclusives than brick/mortar games!

ShinobiMan
09-26-2008, 08:59 AM
This is just an amazing DLC title ...

... I'm not sure about everybody else, but for me - between Bionic Commando Re-Armed, Mega Man 9, Braid, Castle Crashers, 1942 Joint Strike, Strong Bad's CGFAP, Dr. Mario Online RX and many others, I think that this is the first year that I've potentially enjoyed and/or appreciated more DLC exclusives than brick/mortar games!

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Sotenga
09-26-2008, 10:09 PM
I got AND beat it today. What a hell of a ride. :D

exit
09-26-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm on Wiley's Castle right now and god damnit all if this isn't the most fun I've had in a while. Seriously, I'm having a blast with Wiley's Castle, this is the farthest I've gotten in one without having to use Game Genie. I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride this to the end, but I'm just happy to get this far.

Frankie_Says_Relax
09-27-2008, 07:57 AM
It would be great if Capcom followed suit with Mega Man 9 and released a soundtrack on iTunes like they did with Bionic Commando Re-Armed.

Some seriously great bit-tunes in this game.

NayusDante
09-27-2008, 08:44 AM
You can import the OST and the arranged version, but they're about $40 each. Damn Japanese CD prices.

Jorpho
09-27-2008, 03:32 PM
They made an arranged version too? (Now there's something that ought to be DLC for the game.)

NayusDante
09-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I think it is, according to rumors.