PDA

View Full Version : So what are PC gamers playing, lately?

diskoboy
06-14-2008, 02:19 PM
I haven't bought a new PC game in a while, so I figure I'd check out what everyone else is playing, since I've been out of the PC gaming loop for about a year now.

I'm hearing many good things about Sins of a Solar Empire....

otaku
06-14-2008, 02:24 PM
I've been out to since my machine (laptop) hasn't been updated in years (it just turned six) but thats all about to change now that I ordered a new alienware :) sins of a solar empire is on my list as are:

the witcher
Crysis
Neverwinter nights 2
Sins of a solar empire
Political machines 08
Stalker shadows of Chernobyl
Fear (free online) played this plenty before-very fun
Supreme commander
Civilization 4
Typing of the dead 2-import

I can;'t wait!

code52
06-14-2008, 03:42 PM
I've been playing Age of Conan lately. I know a lot of people are not into MMO's, but it has been fun so far up to level 40.

Emuaust
06-14-2008, 03:54 PM
CoD 4, there really hasnt been that much to get excited about on the PC, ive even gone back to playing HL2 and CSS

Damaramu
06-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Only thing I play on my ancient (7 year old Dell) is City of Heroes.

Acadin
06-14-2008, 04:57 PM
First chance I get I'm going to download a trial of Age of Conan, seems a lot of people have been talking about it.

I bought the Orange Box and pretty much havn't touched anything since. I do like Grid Wars and Echo just for quick fun.

Kitsune Sniper
06-14-2008, 05:36 PM
The Orange Box (Half-Life 2, 2 Ep 1, 2 Ep 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2).

Best fifty bucks I ever spent on a legit game.

Trebuken
06-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Other than ports from consoles (mass Effect, Gears of War, Lost Planet), Conan and Sins of a Solar Empire are all that I can think of that have come out since Christmas. Both games are online only.

Due to piracy they are releasing games on the consoles first nowadays instead of the PC which is unfortunate; since I will wait for the PC version for improved visuals...

other than a couple of stragglers (Alone in the Dark, Jagged Alliance 3) and another port (Devil May Cry 4) there likely won't be anything new until the end of August at the earliest....

I'm not sure if we are seeing a Vista induced lull in the PC industry and industrial paranoia about piracy, but the seeming move to online only PC Gaming is getting old...

Emuaust
06-14-2008, 05:58 PM
The Orange Box (Half-Life 2, 2 Ep 1, 2 Ep 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2).

Best fifty bucks I ever spent on a legit game.

Which asks the question, what was the best $50 you spent on a non legit game?

calthaer
06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Besides the original Neverwinter Nights, I'm playing flash games on Kongregate.com. There's nothing out there that really wows me, to be honest. It was all downhill after Deus Ex.

Kitsune Sniper
06-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Which asks the question, what was the best $50 you spent on a non legit game?

Two mistakes:

I actually paid $30 for the last copy at my local Best Buy on Black Friday;
And those were the best $30 I ever paid for a brand new (not used or second hand) game, especially now that I -finally- decided to try out Team Fortress 2. That game alone is worth $50 due to the replay factor. I'd never tried social (co-op) gaming with total strangers until now, and I'm loving it.

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I was in a rush when I typed that.

GrandAmChandler
06-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Snood.
Scorched Earth
Relentless
Jezzball

Trevelyan
06-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Orange Box
WoW
Tiger Woods 07
Went through Curse of the Monkey Island a month or too back

cyberfluxor
06-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I've been gearing my attention more towards watching anime and listening to records at the moment, but gaming wise I've been trying to knock Prey out of the way. It's alright, nothing super insane and it's quite easy. I liked Quake 4 and Painkiller more, since those are the most recently released FPS games I've beaten.

More modernish games:
Prey
Supreme Commander & Forged Alliance
Battlefield
Age of Empires III

What I'm looking to pick up soon:
Orange Box
Unreal III limited edition
Crysis
Overdose

More tempted to get the Unreal because it dropped to $30 at Best Buy and they have a few limited editions left.

Borman
06-15-2008, 04:41 PM
First chance I get I'm going to download a trial of Age of Conan, seems a lot of people have been talking about it.

I bought the Orange Box and pretty much havn't touched anything since. I do like Grid Wars and Echo just for quick fun.

Just as a warning, the game is like 12 gigs, or at least the beta was. Of course, they could cut bits for a trial.

neuropolitique
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Tower Defense. what else do you need?

Trumpman
06-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Orange Box (Team Fortress mostly). I love the new things they're doing with the achievements. Those things are just so damn addictive to accumulate. We have a DP Steam group; you guys should join it! It would be fun to get some DP Team Fortress 2 games going.

Also, Company of Heroes. If anyone here plays this game, I would really like to play you online. It is simply the best RTS I've ever played (yes, better than Starcraft). It is realistic enough to be awfully cool, but not gamebreaking, and the physics make the game so much better. I cannot recommend it enough, and wish that it had gotten more praise.

scooterb23
06-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Peggle!

diskoboy
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
So far, most of the games mentioned, namely Orange Box, Crysis, STALKER, and Civ IV (with expansion), I already own - if not on PC, on a console.

I have been hearing alot of talk about Conan, but it just doesn't look like my type of game. Plus, I've never really been a big Conan fan.

Hwj_Chim
06-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Been alternating with the postal fudge pack and Dawn of war

BHvrd
06-15-2008, 10:02 PM
I have lost my soul to Age of Conan, literally.

CreamSoda
06-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Nothing! Gotta love not having a gaming quality pc. :(

Sothy
06-15-2008, 11:52 PM
1 ghz pc.

So minsesweeper and those punch the monkey win a psp games.

zemmix
06-16-2008, 03:01 PM
World of Warcraft is pretty much all I play now. I started playing in February and leveled up my Druid to 70. My wife watched the whole time and started playing herself in May and now she's hooked as well. I bought a second account and rolled a Tauren Shaman to level up with her Tauren Warrior. We're in the lvl 30's range now. It's fun being able to run her warrior through the dungeons with my 70 so she always has the best gear.

I'd be playing Sins of the Solar Empire if she didn't always want to play WoW though. I also bought Civ IV and Supreme Commander but never got around to playing them much.

bust3dstr8
06-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Still playin Starcraft on Bnet and the LAN.

GnawRadar
06-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Command and Conquer 3 and soon to be Red Alert 3, but most of the time I just play Snood.

TheDomesticInstitution
06-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Snood.

You need a top notch graphics card for this one.

Nothing. I own a Mac and Macs are the retards of the gaming world.

diskoboy
06-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Nothing. I own a Mac and Macs are the retards of the gaming world.

I wouldn't call them "retards"; I'd call them "the evil, red-headed, stepchild" of gaming. They get good games.

But usually about 2 years after they've been out on every other platform. Blizzard is good for throwing Mac owners a bone, every once in a while.

GrandAmChandler
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Another Favorite:

http://ski.ihoc.net/ski.gif

http://ski.ihoc.net/

TheDomesticInstitution
06-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't call them "retards"; I'd call them "the evil, red-headed, stepchild" of gaming. They get good games.

But usually about 2 years after they've been out on every other platform. Blizzard is good for throwing Mac owners a bone, every once in a while.

And therefore the only video games I own for my Mac are Diablo II and Star Craft. Thank the video game gods for Blizzard.

AllSchoolGamer
06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I've gone a bit retro lately with my pc gaming...I just finished cod2 and am also playing Star Trek elite force (THAT is how you make a star trek game! lol)
and Kingpin : Life of crime. I also had a crack at quake 3 online but it seems there are only the expert players left 'cause I got my butt handed to me lol. :2gunfire:

NeoVenom
06-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Lately, the only thing I've been playing on the PC are MMOs. I was thinking about replaying KOTOR and actually beat it since I have a new comp that can handle the game on its max. I gotta also beat HL2.

scooterb23
06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Oh yeah, I'm playing Donkey Kong a lot on MAME. I'm really bad at that game.

Gapporin
06-17-2008, 11:16 PM
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5484/gorillabas2tk4.png

diskoboy
06-18-2008, 12:39 AM
And therefore the only video games I own for my Mac are Diablo II and Star Craft. Thank the video game gods for Blizzard.

And Macs get Spore he same time PC's do. And I'm sure Starcraft 2, as well.

I've given the Sins of a Solar Empire demo a download. I'm gonna see if it's worth $30, or not. I'm seeing some crazy shit posted...

Volcanon
06-18-2008, 03:59 AM
On my MacBook - About half of these are on XP using Parallels

Civilization 3
Alpha Centuari
Starcraft
Warcraft 3
Magic Online

Icarus Moonsight
06-18-2008, 04:46 AM
http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/5484/gorillabas2tk4.png

Yay for Gorillas! Damn Worm usurpers... OMG is that the sun from Teletubbies!?! *runs, screams and hides*

boatofcar
06-18-2008, 07:43 AM
SNES9x, just finished Earthbound.