PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Worlds: a sleeper for the Cube?

josekortez
06-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I searched to see if anyone had ever started a thread about this game since both games in the compilation were originally released on the Dreamcast, and I don't think anybody really played this game or really liked it either way.

I bought the GameCube version used for $6 at Gamestop the other day and I haven't been able to stop playing it. This week, I took time to go back and try a lot of GameCube games I wouldn't have bothered with if I had to pay full price for them upon release.

Apparently, Evolution Worlds is not as sought after as other RPGs on the system, so $6 is a really good deal IMO. I want to finish it this weekend and I will try to do that since I haven't played anything to completion in a very long time.

It got really bad reviews I suppose because the reviewers think every RPG should be as long and as complex as a Final Fantasy game to receive a good rating, but I have been playing through this game since the other day and I have actually enjoyed it. I think the mix of the random dungeons with the finite stages didn't really help it to gain any sort of following.

Also, the fact that it ends up on the GameCube RPG list in terms of quality after Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia and the Baten Kaitos games doesn't help, but I don't think that's a really fair assertion.

I won't give away the story, but the characters are very strong and the scenes sort of zip by. It's a shame that there were only two games in this series.

Does anyone else think Evolution Worlds (or Evolution 1 & 2) is a sleeper hit for the Cube?

TonyTheTiger
06-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I bought the first Evolution for the Dreamcast a couple years back at EB Games for like 8 bucks. I never finished it. Frankly, I find it boring and tedious. I'm honestly not a big fan of randomized dungeons. Not necessarily because of the randomness itself but rather because randomized dungeons seem to have to be very simple and basic looking. Thus, the dungeons don't have any personality. I never played Evolution 2 or Evolution Worlds on the Gamecube but if the first game is any indication, I agree with most of the reviews.

josekortez
06-14-2008, 06:19 PM
I bought the first Evolution for the Dreamcast a couple years back at EB Games for like 8 bucks. I never finished it. Frankly, I find it boring and tedious. I'm honestly not a big fan of randomized dungeons. Not necessarily because of the randomness itself but rather because randomized dungeons seem to have to be very simple and basic looking. Thus, the dungeons don't have any personality. I never played Evolution 2 or Evolution Worlds on the Gamecube but if the first game is any indication, I agree with most of the reviews.

I bought both Evolution games on the Dreamcast and never really started either game after playing Time Stalkers, which I couldn't get into either. I didn't understand the allure of RPGs at the time because I didn't understand why someone would want to play a game where you don't actually manually control your character during a fight. I had never really played an RPG up until then.

I figured out that Evolution Worlds' dungeons remind me a lot of the tower in Persona 3, which is why I think I've stuck with it, but the floors are a lot smaller. I don't necessarily need a 30-70 hour RPG to make me happy.

Perhaps they thought this game would be a good starter RPG because it isn't extremely difficult nor is the game very long.

I know they did condense both games to remove some of the battles since they couldn't fit both Dreamcast games on one GameCube disc.

At the very least, I want to finish it before I play Baroque, which is another Sting RPG with random dungeons.

Wraith Storm
06-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I LOVE Evolution!!! I have both 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast.

Evolution 1 is one of the most charming RPG's I have ever played. There is so much detail when ever you search crates and items in houses. Mag will talk about the item and then reminisce about his past. It really added history to the characters and brought them to life. They had so musch personality. Leaps and bound above other games were it would just list "It's an empy crate" or "It's an antique lamp".

The graphics are solid and the music is beautiful! All this coupled with the simple but DEEP battle system made it an RPG I could not put down. It was a little formlamatic (Cutscene, town, dungeon, repeat...), but it was simple, charming, and above all fun. Also as one reviewer said upon its release "The end of the game has an incredible Grandia esque romp", which didn't hurt either.

Evolution 2 however, struck me as an oddity. It fixed EVERY problem I had with the first game (which weren't many)... But then screwed up EVERYTHING that worked in the first game. IMO The, bad out weighs the good in part 2, unfortunately...

josekortez
06-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Evolution 2 however, struck me as an oddity. It fixed EVERY problem I had with the first game (which weren't many)... But then screwed up EVERYTHING that worked in the first game. IMO The, bad out weighs the good in part 2, unfortunately...

Having only played the GameCube version at this point, it's hard to tell what was fixed since part 2 starts immediately after part 1, but you can tell that these games were originally split since there is still an exposition that explains what the relationships were between the major characters.

Also, Wikipedia explains that there were VMU minigames in the Dreamcast version of Evolution that were removed in the GameCube port.

Kid Fenris
06-14-2008, 09:06 PM
I own Evolution 2 for the Dreamcast just because I won it in a GIA contest eight years ago.

I'll never sell it for that same reason, mediocre as the game is.

Daria
06-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I normally don't care for rouge-like random dungeon games... but for $6 I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

TonyTheTiger
06-14-2008, 09:47 PM
For $6 it's kind of hard to say no to any game that isn't Batman: Dark Tomorrow or Rise of the Robots. Even if I get an hour of play out of it, I'd feel like I got my money's worth.

Cryomancer
06-15-2008, 03:24 AM
I was under the impression that the gamecube game was actually missing several dungeons. I still haven't gotten around to finishing the second one on Dreamcast...

p_b
06-16-2008, 04:25 AM

This is ever so correct. Adored the first one, disliked the second one.

heybtbm
06-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Rule # 1.) When it comes to RPG's on the Gamecube: Beggers can't be choosers. This game only stands out because of the (almost) complete lack of any decent RPG on the system.

I finished the 1st game on the Dreamcast years ago, and never started the 2nd. I also bought the Gamecube version, but never opened it. Realistically, I doubt I'll ever get around to playing it...but it is an RPG and I'll always have that silly notion in my head that I'll eventually have time. Meanwhile 20+ other better RPG's sit unopened on my shelf.

CosmicMonkey
06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I've always wanted to play Evolution: Eternal Dungeons on the NGPC. However, it's damn rare and commands a ridiculous price last time I checked.

Daria
06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Rule # 1.) When it comes to RPG's on the Gamecube: Beggers can't be choosers. This game only stands out because of the (almost) complete lack of any decent RPG on the system.

Skies of Arcadia ,Baten Kaitos, Pokemon, Paper Mario, & Tales of Symphonia beg to differ with you sir.

And I haven't tried Lost Kingdoms. But generally what RPGs did the Cube did receive were actually quite good.

heybtbm
06-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Skies of Arcadia ,Baten Kaitos, Pokemon, Paper Mario, & Tales of Symphonia beg to differ with you sir.

And I haven't tried Lost Kingdoms. But generally what RPGs did the Cube did receive were actually quite good.

The titles you mentioned are all pretty good (I never finished ToS or Baten Kaitos though). What I was referring to was more about the overall lack of Gamecube RPG's than their quality. My overall point is Evolution Worlds just happens to shine a little brighter because of the lack of RPG titles on the system...not that any of this really matters anyway. If someone enjoys a game, by all means, play it!

Cryomancer
06-17-2008, 04:33 AM
The Megaman RPG for cube is pretty decent. Even has VMU-esque GBA connectivity that reminds me, coincidentely, of Evolution's use of the VMU.