PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Xbox 360 achievements?

Fuzzball24
06-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Do you care about them? Do you strive for them?

Personally, I try to 1000 or 200 every game I buy. Maybe I'm an obsessive gamer. XD

What's your stand on them?

BHvrd
06-15-2008, 03:21 AM
This topic has been covered quite in depth:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103923&highlight=xbox+achievements

Personally I like what Sony has planned for Home where I can have trophies in a virtual environment. Truly though I have other things I would rather do than "play for" achievement points.

G-Boobie
06-15-2008, 03:34 AM
I don't really care about them one way or the other.

I hate idiots who think that the size of their gamerscore is somehow connected to how awesome they are, though. Especially people living in their mothers' basements who don't have to work or go to school.

Just saying, dogg.

Sothy
06-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Yeahhhhhhhhhhh!

s1lence
06-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I hate them..........

;)

carlcarlson
06-15-2008, 10:25 AM
I dig them, but I don't go nutty-pants for them. If implented correctly I think they broaden the depth of a game. For instance, in Team Fortress 2 you get an achievement for achieving certain things with the different classes. I probably wouldn't have tried all of the other classes if it wasn't for that, because I've always used the soldier type in games like that. Turns out I really enjoy a number of the other classes as well. So that's an instance of achievements done right.

digitalpress
06-15-2008, 10:32 AM
The ones that you get automatically just for playing, I'm indifferent. The ones that present a challenge you might not have otherwise attempted, I really enjoy. To me, those are the REAL achievements, and they're just another part of a game's overall challenge. Kinda like a "game within a game".

If this makes no sense, I'm thinking about achievements like finding all of the icons in Crackdown or getting ten cars to blow up within ten seconds in GTA IV. It's fun stuff that I might not have ordinarily tried but especially after beating a game and wanting more, they add more opportunities to play.

mnbren05
06-15-2008, 10:36 AM
They add a certain zest to the game experience. I hate the obscure ones that take countless hours to achieve or the play through beginner/normal/hard difficulty ones. Proof is in the points as I play the 360 over ps2/psp/wii if I have the choice every single time.

Sudo
06-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I usually try to get as many as possible that are reasonable to obtain. If I really like a game though, such as Lost Odyssey, I'll go for them anyway no matter how much of a pain in the ass they are.

The 1 2 P
06-16-2008, 02:41 AM
They are the greatest things since slice bread...so I've heard.

Icarus Moonsight
06-16-2008, 04:23 AM
I have stated before that I could give a flip about achievements, however. If they were more likened to the "Kill a Rockstar Developer On-Line" variety then they would get a significant coolness bump in my eyes. The "OMG! You found the start button!" and "Found 1,000,000 pieces of useless crap!" or "Teabagged an Eskimo while eating Cheetos!", which sums up most of them I've seen thus far, are underwhelming - if not utterly dull.

heybtbm
06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
I've mentioned this before in another achievement thread...but I love the "scavenger hunt" type achievements. Like finding the 200 pigeons in GTA IV, orb hunting in Crackdown, Flag hunting in Assassin's Creed...stuff like that. I don't know what it is about exploring open-world type games, but I can't get enough. I'll admit it does get a little tedious sometimes, but I always have that compulsion to "start searching" whenever I fire up those types of games.

Captain Wrong
06-16-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm mixed on it. I'd never buy or play a game just to get them. Most of them I find pretty worthless including the ones you get for playing or the "treasure hunt" ones (find all the ____). However, what is fun to me is when you and your buddies have a game, like Geometry Wars, and you're all gunning to see who can get the pacifist achievement first or whatever. That reminds me a lot of gaming back in the day and that I dig.