PDA

View Full Version : Dark Messiah of Might and Magic 360

ianoid
06-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Seems like every Gamestop I've been to is on their first and only copy, sitting unsold. I finally found one used ($26). It's sure to be a future uncommon title based on anecdotally dismal sales.

I decided I might enjoy it based on the Game Informer review and my love of the straightforward fantasy genre. It's basically a first person fantasy shooter. I'll have to see how the story unfolds and how much I enjoy the action.

Anyone else play this one?

Nesmaster
06-15-2008, 10:04 PM
I picked this up from Blockbuster today, for $10 used, complete. Great shape too. I'm looking forward to having the time to sit down and try it out. :)

Ze_ro
06-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I was really looking forward to this game as it looked to be another Oblivion type game... but the bad reviews scared me away. Are these reviews justified? Either way, I'll probably pick it up when I find it for a good price.

--Zero

YoshiM
06-16-2008, 04:49 PM
I played with the online portion of the demo and had a general feeling of "meh". It seemed as though the spell-slingers had more of an advantage (thus unbalanced) with area effect attacks and such. In the sessions I played there were a LOT of wizards.

As for the single player (again, the demo), the game felt like it was Oblivion "light". There were a couple neat things (grapple arrow for example) but overall the game felt somewhat unpolished. That could be the demo, though.

Trebuken
06-16-2008, 04:53 PM
I played through the PC version and enjoyed it. It was hardly a master-piece but I had alot of fun with it...

josekortez
06-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I picked this up from Blockbuster today, for $10 used, complete. Great shape too. I'm looking forward to having the time to sit down and try it out. :)

Damn, is everything $10 in Canada?

digitalpress
03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE, OLD THREAD!

So I go on these binges of trying out old games simply for "game knowledge". 8 times out of 10 I play for an hour to get the jist of it, then put it back and store the knowledge for future use.

This has been one of those other times, the 2 out of 10 that grab me.

It's no Oblivion (still one of my top 5 on the 360) but it's certainly no Two Worlds (so wanted to like it) either. It's a very competent FPRPG. Decent, uncomplicated story, good dialogue, manageable weapons and power-up system. On the downside, it's very linear and the graphics don't always "pop" like an RPG or 360 game should. Ultimately I'd rate this game a 7 out of 10. I haven't finished it yet but I'm some 20 hours into it and just about done. Enjoyed every minute of it. Great battles, pretty good (not brain-bending, as I am easily brain-bent) puzzles. Haven't had to consult gamefaqs.com yet, another plus.

It's dirt cheap. If you like RPG's in general or Oblivion/Fallout 3 specifically, check it out. It won't blow you away, but it's a fun game that has been seriously overlooked.

Nesmaster
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I ended up starting this shortly after buying it, but only for about two hours. I did enjoy what I played, but I never went back to it after putting it down. It'll probably be a while too, likely never, before I ever go back to it with my current backlog of games. As far as cheap goes, this game is like $4.99 used at EB Games in Canada. :)

Kicking enemies into fire or walls of spikes was quite amusing though, heh.

Daria
03-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I "discovered" the demo for this game around christmas time and fell in love. Odd since I normally dislike the Might & Magic series. I bought the game on the cheap not long ago. I love linear games sometimes because you get an arcade sense of mastering the perfect game. Plotting your jumps right, killing off all enemies in the level with efficient timing. It's a totally different play style than Oblivion's freeform experimentation.

That and kicking enemies into camp fires is totally badass.

Trebuken
03-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I played the PC version. When it was released it was probably the best looking game available (graphically). If you have a choice I would pick up the PC Version.

Also, I thought the gameplay was great. The story was hokey and some of the storytelling mechanics were weak, but I had alot of fun with the game...

Lady Jaye
01-07-2010, 12:00 PM
I just finished reading an interview with the Ubisoft producers in charge of the series, and I'm intrigued by Dark Messiah. It's too bad that it got generally bad reviews, but I think I will pick it up if I find it for $10 or less.

Is it actually an action RPG or a hack n slash ( la Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance)? I liked BG:DA...

esquire
01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Newegg has it for $9.99, but its the PC version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832138013&cm_re=dark_messiah-_-32-138-013-_-Product

Daria
01-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I think every Best Buy I've ever gone into still has these sitting around for the 360. I want to say at $10. I know I posted in this thread already, but it's really not a bad game. If anyone's looking for a budget gamble, buy it, it's fun!

Lady Jaye: It's a first person view action RPG. Think of an Arcadey, Linear, Oblivion. Nothing at all like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance.

Shadow Kisuragi
01-07-2010, 10:39 PM
I see this game almost everywhere I go for ~$10. Quite a few people on my friends list have played it, but I've yet to pop it in and I've had it for almost 2 years. I didn't know it didn't have local multiplayer when I picked it up. I've been hoping for something similar to BG:DA and nothing has come up worthwhile on x360 yet.

Daria
01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
I've been hoping for something similar to BG:DA and nothing has come up worthwhile on x360 yet.

What about Marvel Ultimate Alliance? It's Baldur's Gate: DA with Super Heroes.

ianoid
01-07-2010, 11:25 PM
This game is Oblivion light. Almost a perfect clone without the depth. After 16 hours of Oblivion, I almost want to go back to Dark Messiah (only played maybe 2 hours of it). Oblivion is a bit intense. I just keep dying. I think I chose the wrong character because I am super weak (the battle mage character). Dark Messiah is more straight forward.

Geez, I love BG:DA. Did I say I love Champions of Norrath too? Man, why are there umpteen Dynasty Warriors and only two of each of those games? Seriously, I've heard dozens of people tout the BG:DA and copycats, in my sampling of very few people. They could release chapters online for $10 each, I'd buy every one of them if they gave me a good 4 hours.

Dark Messiah is worth $10. I think I paid quite a bit more, for shame.

Lady Jaye
01-08-2010, 06:42 AM
I didn't like Champions of Norrath but did like BG: DA. Played through the GBA version several times, finished the PS2 version a few times too. I do find that the market value for BG: DA for PS2 is way overrated due to its short length and linearity. But it's still a fun game to play.

Daria
01-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Geez, I love BG:DA. Did I say I love Champions of Norrath too? Man, why are there umpteen Dynasty Warriors and only two of each of those games?

Play Bard's Tale. PLAY BARDS TALE.

(:

heybtbm
01-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Oblivion is a bit intense. I just keep dying. I think I chose the wrong character because I am super weak (the battle mage character).

Use the difficulty slider. There's no shame in taking it down a few notches.

Asylum Seeker
01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
This game should have been called Dark Messiah of Shite and Tragic.....

All IMO of course.

ianoid
01-08-2010, 11:43 PM
I'd never say that Dark Messiah is a GREAT game, but if you expect little and pay less, and you know what you're getting yourself into, it's worthwhile.

BHvrd
01-09-2010, 02:29 AM
Nice alternative for people who think Oblivion had too much depth and Lord Of The Rings Conquest had too little depth.

Middle of the road game that imo actually excels in its accessibilty and fun. That being said the PC version is far superior.

phreakindee
01-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Nice alternative for people who think Oblivion had too much depth and Lord Of The Rings Conquest had too little depth.

Middle of the road game that imo actually excels in its accessibilty and fun. That being said the PC version is far superior.

The PC version is better, I think. Some of the levels are different (in fact the entire opening "training area" is) and better-looking on PC. Of course the graphics are better as well. But for the 360, it's still not at all a bad buy. I really enjoyed the game from start to finish. It's a nice FPS game with Oblivion-ey look and feel, a decent story and some really awesome locations and gameplay. For cheap, I say it is far worth it. It's pretty short but not TOO short (10-12 hours).

Ed Oscuro
01-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Hello old thread!

I would like to point out that the PC version is rather (actually very) bug-prone, and likes not to load at all if you don't have the appropriate video codecs. I wasn't able to play it on one install of Windows XP but it played fine on my laptop (which, with a GeForce 8600, is apparently more powerful than a 360, and also more reliable, hooray).

I'm surprised to hear the 360 version is missing areas - from the early reviewed I read about Elements (which I always rather envied) it has added areas over the PC version. Losing the training area, which was indeed an epic sight on the laptop, doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Kitsune Sniper
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I got this game for free a while back. A Brazilian magazine was giving out codes for it on their website, and I managed to snag one.

I played it and had the same issues I have with Source engine games: It made me feel ill. The game wasn't bad, though.