PDA

View Full Version : New Wii Update breaks homebrew, Freeloader

Flack
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/06/17/new-wii-update-spells-the-end-for-freeloader/
http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/06/16/wii-menu-update-3-3-kills-twilight-hack/

Heads up to all importers.

RadiantSvgun
06-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Wow, if I spent money on a freeloader, I'd be pissed.

GnawRadar
06-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Wow, if I spent money on a freeloader, I'd be pissed.

Me too. Drexel923 had a couple for sale at Next Level Videogames but I passed on one and now I am glad I did. I wasn't intending to import for the Wii anytime soon, but I had a feeling that this would happen eventually.

RadiantSvgun
06-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Me too. Drexel923 had a couple for sale at Next Level Videogames but I passed on one and now I am glad I did. I wasn't intending to import for the Wii anytime soon, but I had a feeling that this would happen eventually.

Its got to be worse for Drexel. He probably won't be able to move those at all!

Hey, there is always target practice.

GnawRadar
06-17-2008, 03:11 PM

Nah, he only ordered a couple of them and they are already gone.

Drexel923
06-17-2008, 03:15 PM

I also thought this might happen...I only ordered 2 and sold 1 of those over a month ago. Unfortunately I guess the other one will now be a nice coaster.

GnawRadar
06-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Nah, he only ordered a couple of them and they are already gone.

I also thought this might happen...I only ordered 2 and sold 1 of those over a month ago. Unfortunately I guess the other one will now be a nice coaster.

Well I guess I was wrong. :beaten:

Kitsune Sniper
06-17-2008, 03:46 PM

Keep it stored for a couple of years then sell it as a collector's item? :P

Cmtz
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
but now we have two topics on it...lol

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118176

TonyTheTiger
06-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Ever since the first Xbox came out and Microsoft started giving people's consoles the axe on Live it's become a gamble to use any gray market peripherals or exploits. Anyone who wants to invest in Freeloaders or mod chips these days has to be aware that the purchase comes with a risk. This is just going to be a continuing trend. Nintendo/Sony/MS will put an end to the most popular tools. The creators of these tools will come up with a stealth tool or somehow find a new "in." Nintendo/Sony/MS will follow that up with another update. I wouldn't be surprised if the people who want to keep using these freeloaders will have to buy 4 or 5 of them during the lifespan of the console.

Poofta!
06-17-2008, 07:03 PM
homebrew isnt really broken. you just cant use the exploit from twilight princess anymore. however if you already installed the homebrew channel, you can still install and run homebrew. (the homebrew channel forgoes the need for the TP bug)

theoakwoody
06-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Can't you just not update your wii? I don't see what the great benefit to 3.3 is anyway. The ability to drag and drop your miis into the parade, who gives a shit.

TonyTheTiger
06-17-2008, 10:32 PM
What are the odds that consoles with the Homebrew Channel (or other non-Nintendo sponsored things) will eventually be attacked by Nintendo either by deleting it from the system, rendering it useless, or worse, bricking the Wii? Is it something that's as likely as fixing an exploit like they did here?

zektor
06-17-2008, 11:20 PM
What are the odds that consoles with the Homebrew Channel (or other non-Nintendo sponsored things) will eventually be attacked by Nintendo either by deleting it from the system, rendering it useless, or worse, bricking the Wii? Is it something that's as likely as fixing an exploit like they did here?

I *highly* doubt Nintendo will brick your Wii with an update. They want your money remember :)

At best, a future update could simply remove the Homebrew Channel and possibly check your system for illegal VC/Wiiware and remove those as well.

As for now, the 3.3 update removes the ability to use the Twilight Hack and trucha signed discs (Freeloader). If you already have the Homebrew Channel installed it will still work after the update, but you had better not remove it or there would be no way of a re-install.....since you cannot use the hack anymore which makes it all possible in the first place.

I am still on 3.2. I removed my wireless connection and am using my Wii without any internet connectivity. I have some great stuff running on it homebrew wise...enough to warrant purchasing another Wii need be down the road to use for updating/online/etc. I love the HB channel and the various emulators (which all run GREAT) enough not to want to loose the ability.

thegreatgonzo
06-18-2008, 01:17 AM
OakWoody make a point. What about those Wii that were never updated? I have a Wii probably a 3.1 version. Why couldn't those Wiis use the Freeloader or whatnot for imports?

Kitsune Sniper
06-18-2008, 02:23 AM
OakWoody make a point. What about those Wii that were never updated? I have a Wii probably a 3.1 version. Why couldn't those Wiis use the Freeloader or whatnot for imports?

But they can make the games update the firmware before letting you play them. I remember that some PSP titles did this, but I'm not sure if Wii titles do this too.

Cryomancer
06-18-2008, 02:32 AM
They do. Galaxy does I believe. Whatever the next big nintendo title will have this update or a further one.

edit: is there anything worth homebrewing for right now? Emulators? I don't wanna play them on a classic controller or cube. Unless maybe there's a good n64 one, I don't think I'd enjoy that too much. Playing Genesis downloads on the classic is painful. They really should have thought that controller out a bit more in my opinion. I heard there was some software DVD player, again, why would i want to use it for that? I've got 5 other things that can play DVDs and I'd rather not waste wear on my game-playing drive to watch them.

Icarus Moonsight
06-18-2008, 03:22 AM
As I figure it, you're going to need to go one of two routes for simplicities sake. Buy a second Wii for homebrew and keep it off-line and running on the earliest firmware version possible to use while the hardware is alive and active at market. Or, just wait until the end of the hardwares lifecycle and use the latest circumvention method after Nintendo stops bothering with the updates and such. Kind of obvious, I admit, but I'm taking the latter as my plan. :)

Sweater Fish Deluxe
06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
As I figure it, you're going to need to go one of two routes for simplicities sake. Buy a second Wii for homebrew and keep it off-line and running on the earliest firmware version possible to use while the hardware is alive and active at market. Or, just wait until the end of the hardwares lifecycle and use the latest circumvention method after Nintendo stops bothering with the updates and such. Kind of obvious, I admit, but I'm taking the latter as my plan. :)
Why not just install the Homebrew Channel before updating? This update doesn't remove it or disable it at all.

Even if Nintendo comes out with an update later thatd does kill the Homebrew Channel, you'd be able to re-install it within a couple days if you wanted to since that's about how long it takes for hackers to circumvent the fix.

From what I've read (see HackMii.com), Wii hackers have already found a new exploit that works with the 3.3 firmware update. Apparently they're exploiting a bug in the updated firmware itself and sticking with Twilight Princess as the trojan rather than just using an entirely new game with an exploit similar in operation to the original Twilight Princess, though that route would have also been possible. Seems a bit more inflammatory, but that's part of the hacking game, I guess.

...word is bondage...

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-18-2008, 11:01 AM
This is very reminiscent of the early PSP exploit situation.

Updates specifically crafted to kill exploits, games rolling out with new firmware attached ...

If the current state of PSP firmware hacking is any indication of where this will lead ... my guess is that we'll see the hacking community stay one step behind Nintendo with every new firware (rolling out new hacks shortly after each firmware update) and we'll see totally custom Wii firmware within a year or so, probably even less time than that.

zektor
06-18-2008, 10:01 PM
This is very reminiscent of the early PSP exploit situation.

Updates specifically crafted to kill exploits, games rolling out with new firmware attached ...

If the current state of PSP firmware hacking is any indication of where this will lead ... my guess is that we'll see the hacking community stay one step behind Nintendo with every new firware (rolling out new hacks shortly after each firmware update) and we'll see totally custom Wii firmware within a year or so, probably even less time than that.

This was my thought exactly. Modded firmwares will definitely be the wave of the future for the Wii...just as it already is for the PSP.

Updates ARE attached to games already on the Wii (I can't remember if it was Smash Bros or Mario Kart...but one of them had one) and I will bet anything that future titles will require you to be up to date with the firmware to play them.

Muscelli
06-19-2008, 12:34 AM
It sucks that I am not bummed a bit about the firmware update seeing as there isnt anything that interests me a bit down the pipeline for the Wii.

CosmicMonkey
06-20-2008, 04:58 AM
3.3 Firmware hacked. (http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/19/wii-menu-3-3-already-hacked-patch-forthcoming/)

So the game of cat and mouse begins for Nintendo.

-^CrožBow^-
06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
I had a question that i wondered if anyone had tried. Since we know that if you already have teh HBC installed the new update doesn't delete it. But what if you back up the channel itself to your SD card like you might with other channels? The HBC does allow you to copy it over to the SD card. My thought is that if you do that, even if the update doesn't allow you to install the TP hack to reinstall the HBC you shouldn't need it. Just copy the HBC from the SD card back to the Wii if you should ever delete it.

Oobgarm
06-20-2008, 07:30 AM
I think that in the future, though, an update will block fake/forged registration keys, which is what the HB Channel uses to work.

Jorpho
06-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I suppose they fixed the multi-region Gamecube exploit a long time ago?

Kyle15
06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I suppose they fixed the multi-region Gamecube exploit a long time ago?

They did.
It really freaked me out when I tried to use the trick, and my Action Replay, for that matter.
They have not worked since that update some months back.

At least my Gamecube is still running. :)

zektor
06-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I had a question that i wondered if anyone had tried. Since we know that if you already have teh HBC installed the new update doesn't delete it. But what if you back up the channel itself to your SD card like you might with other channels? The HBC does allow you to copy it over to the SD card. My thought is that if you do that, even if the update doesn't allow you to install the TP hack to reinstall the HBC you shouldn't need it. Just copy the HBC from the SD card back to the Wii if you should ever delete it.

There was talk of this in another forum...although I can't remember where. Apparently this works for some people, but does not for others. Who knows...

After playing with all of the emulators again for half of my night I have come to the conclusion that not only do I like it, but I NEED it. The emulators that I have tried (NES, SMS, GG, SNES, Genesis, GB/GBC, Turbografx 16, ScummVM interpreter) all run so damn perfectly. I'll be picking up that second Wii for normal updates shortly for sure...

CosmicMonkey
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Twilight Hack v0.1beta1 (http://hackmii.com/2008/06/twilight-hack-v01beta1/)

* The Twilight Hack is now compatible with version 3.3 of the Wii System Menu.
* Improvements in video configuration. The entire console should now be visible in all video modes, and scrolling has been improved.
* For the USA version, the two variants of the hack have been packed into one save file. Just select the save slot that corresponds to your version of Twilight Pricess when you start the game.
* New savegame icons by drmr. The new icons now show which region that version of the hack is for.
* This version now tries to load boot.dol, and falls back to boot.elf if boot.dol is not found.
* ???????
* Many, many bug fixes.

zektor
06-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Yup, hack works again. I confirmed it tonight. I guess Nintendo's next move will have to be to press new Zelda discs with the save issue fixed...hah!

josekortez
06-21-2008, 11:57 PM
It sucks that I am not bummed a bit about the firmware update seeing as there isnt anything that interests me a bit down the pipeline for the Wii.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Are they trying to make the system completely useless? Other than Castle Shikigami III, there really isn't anything else I want. I just bought Blast Works. Maybe that'll change my mind, but I doubt it.

TonyTheTiger
06-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Although it's not really necessary, I can report the Homebrew Channel works perfectly for me even after updating to 3.3. After screwing around with it, I love it. Once the region free loader can accept foreign Gamecube games it'll be perfect.

I'm not going to take the Wii offline but obviously will wait before downloading any updates until I read up about what they do.

importaku
06-22-2008, 05:18 PM

I tried exactly that, i upgraded my firmware then copied the homebrew channel to my sd card & it copied fine. So i then deleted the homebrew channel off my wii & tried restoring it from my sd card it acted like it had copied it back but when i got back to the wii menu the channel was nowhere to be found it looks like it deletes it if you try to copy it back from the sd card.

No problem now though as i updated with the fix & have the channel back again.