PDA

View Full Version : Changes with PS3 model / price drop? Gamestop myth?

monkeychemist
06-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone,

If you followed my other thread you already know that I am in PS3 buying mode. Well, today I went to a gamestop to see what they have in the store. The salesman/manager? told me that they were out of the 80gb model. I asked when they would get a new shipment and he said they would be very scarce from now on. I asked why and he said that Sony is discontinuing the 80gb model and just clearing their inventory. Can anyone confirm this rumor? Is there going to be a new configuration coming out? Anyone else hear of this?

Thank you!

Trebuken
06-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I have not heard anything, but there has been alot of talk about how the production costs of the PS3 have gone down. i would not be surprised if they have some new marketing campaign coming that will go through the holidays accompanied by a price drop (dude wait for E3) and possibly a larger hard drive for the eventual DVR abilities...

Emuaust
06-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I know in the pal states that PS3 is very hard to get at the moment, its all a bit strange MGS4 comes out and there are no consoles to go with it!?...

I talked to my sony rep yesterday and he told me NO consoles till late august, WTF!!?

exit
06-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Well the 80 gig has been discontinued for awhile and only recently returned due to MGS4. Some say it's just their remaining supply, but I don't know how accurate that is, the MGS bundles seemed to have flew off the shelves and not even my managers knew we had received any when I asked the next day.

If Sony decides to keep the MGS bundle around for awhile, it would be a smart move since the backwards compatibility seemed to have always made the deal in the past.

I know in the pal states that PS3 is very hard to get at the moment, its all a bit strange MGS4 comes out and there are no consoles to go with it!?...

Funny thing is MGS4 seemed to be a system seller, since I noticed a few people buying a PS3 just for MGS4 game as release came closer and a lot of people (at least the ones I've talked to) didn't expect it to be that big of a deal.

incubus421
06-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Our GameStop saw 2 of the MGS4 bundles when they released. Got word the other day that we are supposed to recieve another small shipment of these sometime in the near future. How many? probably another 2...and they won't last long...and after that, who knows how long til we see any more.

monkeychemist
06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
the execs really plan these things well. As soon as a console has a peak in interest they don't make enough to keep the mystique. Oh well, it's gonna take me a few more weeks to sell enough to buy it anyways.

PapaStu
06-18-2008, 05:37 PM
The 80GB units have been out of production for a good 6 months. They started to dry up at/around xmas this last year. The small amount that did get re-released with in the MGS4 bundles were most likely refurb units and allowed Sony to clean stock of that model.

The only current model of the system (save for the limited edition 80GB MGS4 bundles) are the 40GB systems. There are no current talks of new systems on the immedate horizion. I've read unsubstantiated rumors of 120GB systems with a bunch of new features, but as of right now its more of a pipe dream than probable reality.

If you're wanting one with some kind of BC (which i'm pretty sure you are), best find yourself one of those MGS4 bundles, cause otherwise you're outta luck.

Sudo
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
The MGS 4 bundle is replacing the old Motorstorm bundle, it's not just a one shipment thing. Retailers should be getting more bundles this week or next.

Oobgarm
06-19-2008, 07:49 AM
The MGS 4 bundle is replacing the old Motorstorm bundle, it's not just a one shipment thing. Retailers should be getting more bundles this week or next.

Indeed. My Best Buy saw 24 of them on launch day, and we're expecting at least 18 more in the not-too-distant future.

mailman187666
06-19-2008, 09:18 AM
I almost wish they just coulda stuck with the 60gig model. The harddrive isn't as big but it works great with backwards compatibility and if they bundled it with MGS4, I think they would be flying off the shelf even faster, as long as it was a bit cheaper than an 80gig bundle.

monkeychemist
06-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I almost wish they just coulda stuck with the 60gig model. The harddrive isn't as big but it works great with backwards compatibility and if they bundled it with MGS4, I think they would be flying off the shelf even faster, as long as it was a bit cheaper than an 80gig bundle.

You know, backwards compatibility used to be my MAIN attraction. I couldn't live without it because I had a backlog of many many games that I wanted to play. However, as I have been getting older my tastes have changed and I don't really think that I would enjoy the same games. I also believe that games are in my backlog for a reason. If I really wanted to play them I would have by now. So I would be fine with 80 or 40. I just think the MGS4 is a good bundle because you get the system + game I want + wireless controller. If I was to do that separately it would cost $400 system (40gb) + $60 game + $40ish wireless controller = $500 anyways. So for the same price I get a better system, minus one wired controller (which wouldn't work in my living room).

incubus421
06-19-2008, 11:32 AM
You know, backwards compatibility used to be my MAIN attraction. I couldn't live without it because I had a backlog of many many games that I wanted to play. However, as I have been getting older my tastes have changed and I don't really think that I would enjoy the same games. I also believe that games are in my backlog for a reason. If I really wanted to play them I would have by now. So I would be fine with 80 or 40. I just think the MGS4 is a good bundle because you get the system + game I want + wireless controller. If I was to do that separately it would cost $400 system (40gb) + $60 game + $40ish wireless controller = $500 anyways. So for the same price I get a better system, minus one wired controller (which wouldn't work in my living room).

not to mention that wireless controller is a dualshock and is 54.99 + tax.

heybtbm
06-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I just think the MGS4 is a good bundle because you get the system + game I want + wireless controller. If I was to do that separately it would cost $400 system (40gb) + $60 game + $40ish wireless controller = $500 anyways. So for the same price I get a better system, minus one wired controller (which wouldn't work in my living room).

One clarification...there is no such thing as a "wired" PS3 controller. They're all wireless. Still, the bonus with the MGS4 bundle is that the controller is the Dualshock 3...much better than the Sixaxis that comes standard with the 40 gb model right now.

heybtbm
06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
not to mention that wireless controller is a dualshock and is 54.99 + tax.

...maybe at Gamestop. It's $49.99 at BB, Walmart, Target, etc.

incubus421
06-19-2008, 09:16 PM
...maybe at Gamestop. It's $49.99 at BB, Walmart, Target, etc.

true, but either way more than 40ish