PDA

View Full Version : So does anyone remember FreeVast? PS2 plug-n-play modchip on a memory card basically?

Xizer
06-20-2008, 01:14 AM
IT'S ALIVE

Here is the original thread about it here at Digital Press (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105672&highlight=)

Yeah well, it's now come to fruition, and for some reason there is no thread about it here!

Here is the link. It is basically the Independence Exploit but without the need for a PS1 'master' disc, and it also works on the slim PS2. It is called... Free McBoot:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/58292-official-free-mc-boot-releases.html

I have tested this out and it works great on both of my PS2s - my fat one and my slim.

Once you've got this installed on your memory card, you can run homebrew programs on a slim and fat PS2, and in the case of a fat PS2, games off the hard drive as well via HDLoader. It can do everything the Independence Exploit can do.

But that's not all! The next exciting new development is below:

Here is a program called ESR, which you can also run on any PS2 thanks to these memory card exploits. It is brand new, just released a few days ago. What does it do, you ask? It lets you run burned games without a modchip, on a fat or slim PS2. All you must do is run a program on your PC to allow you to patch the .ISO image, burn the ISO to a DVD, then pop the disc in your PS2 and run this program to boot the disc. The full details are here:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/freevast/58441-esr-public-beta.html

:dance:

Thanks to these developments I am now in possession of a simple 8 MB Sony memory card that can be used to boot up homebrew or play burned DVDs on any PS2 that I may come across, old or new. I can also easily give other memory cards this functionality and cause it to multiply! Muhahaha!

Leo_A
06-20-2008, 01:23 AM
I thought a major feature was supposedly going to be making the PS2 region free. Did this not happen? The only reason I'd be interested is if I could import games from the UK and play on a American PS2.

Xizer
06-20-2008, 01:37 AM
I thought a major feature was supposedly going to be making the PS2 region free. Did this not happen? The only reason I'd be interested is if I could import games from the UK and play on a American PS2.

I'm pretty sure there are already numerous ways to do this on a PS2.

Leo_A
06-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Not without swapping disc or installing a internal chip, as far as I know.

Xizer
06-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Not without swapping disc or installing a internal chip, as far as I know.

Hmm, well, I am reading the ESR thread and it can play burned PAL games.

Leo_A
06-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Thats cool, the reason many of us were excited in that thread you linked to was the hope this would provide a solderless, convenient way to play imports through a plug and play method like this.

Parodius
06-20-2008, 02:27 AM
At least you call them burned games and not backups or some other ridiculous euphemism.

No interest on my part unless I can play imports.

exit
06-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Well if someone can confirm that it can play Siren 2 without a problem, I'm down.

EX-Soldier
06-20-2008, 03:30 AM
im not to crazy about playing imports outside of my saturn but this definitely has me interested, anyone know if this'll allow u to watch dvds from other regions?

Oobgarm
06-20-2008, 05:17 AM
No interest on my part unless I can play imports.

Judging by a few posts in the ESR thread, that's possible.

I'll actually tip the hat to Xizer on this one.:eek 2:

erehwon
06-21-2008, 09:15 PM
If it can allow me to play imports, I'll have a reason to pull my slim ps2 back out. I'm kind of wanting to try Namco X Capcom.

Chuplayer
06-21-2008, 09:33 PM
So... how do you get this on your memory card? If somebody releases something that can be copied to a card via the PS3, I'll be all over it. Downloading PS2 save games and copying them to the PS3 virtual card or using the PS3 as a middleman to copy them to a physical card rules.

Xizer
06-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Doesn't the PS3 have USB ports? Can you put a file on a flash drive and then copy it over to a PS2 memory card on the PS3 that way?

I don't have a PS3 so I know nothing about the intricate details of what you can and can't copy on it and what not.

Kitsune Sniper
06-21-2008, 10:51 PM
The PS2 is really finicky about USB flash drives. You can probably use a cheat device to transfer the files from a flash drive to the memory card, but good luck finding one that's compatible with the program and the PS2 itself...

EX-Soldier
06-21-2008, 11:47 PM
so like ummmm....anyone know if this'll allow u to watch dvds from other regions?

Xizer
06-22-2008, 02:14 AM
The PS2 is really finicky about USB flash drives. You can probably use a cheat device to transfer the files from a flash drive to the memory card, but good luck finding one that's compatible with the program and the PS2 itself...

A standard Action Replay MAX for the PS2 can be used to transfer files from a flash drive using the PS2's USB ports. A Code Breaker can also be used. Code Breakers can be obtained for $15 at GameStop and Action Replays for $30.

Any flash drive should work, and the Action Replay even comes with its own.

Icarus Moonsight
06-22-2008, 02:16 AM
I'll actually tip the hat to Xizer on this one.:eek 2:

:eek 2: Indeed. Wow.

Gonna have to try this out. I just need to borrow a PAL and Jp game to test before I start seeking imports to nab. Didn't Vib Ribbon get a PS2 sequal? Mojib Ribbon or something or other? :) That would be suspect zero then Sega Ages here I come. LOL

I wonder. Will this work with PS1 format burns? Would be nice to get a back-up system to play existing dupes in case the PSX crashes and burns down the road.

Wraith Storm
06-22-2008, 03:09 AM

Exactly! All I want is a simple way to play the import PS2 Berzerk game on my US PS2! Then I could die a happy man! :)

Xizer
06-22-2008, 03:32 AM
I have a development. ESR v0.8 seems to work properly with Free McBoot's "assign to a boot number" function. I have renamed it to BOOT4.ELF, and now I can boot up burned games without even having to use an ELF Launcher first.

It is now as easy as popping the disc in your PS2, then holding a button on your controller to automatically boot up the burned game. In my case I only need to hold down L2 before I turn on my PS2 and it will load the game.

Also, still haven't found an ELF out there that will allow you to play DVDs from any region, but it must exist somewhere...

Exactly! All I want is a simple way to play the import PS2 Berzerk game on my US PS2! Then I could die a happy man! :)

ESR is designed for burned games. To play your PS2 Berserk game, I recommend ripping it to your PC, applying the patch to your ISO file, and then burning it to a DVD. It should be playable then.

I don't have any retail foreign games to test import functionality out without a burned copy but I don't think it would work with a retail import game because it does not have the DVDV patch applied that allows ESR to exploit the PS2 and load it.

Icarus Moonsight
06-22-2008, 03:57 AM
You must rip and burn for this to work? That's odd.

dao2
06-22-2008, 04:23 AM

cause itll only play games with whatever junk this loader needs installed, so the import won't have it already on it.... no playing imports ;p

poloplayr
06-22-2008, 05:42 AM
i just want a way to play my JAP import PS2 games on my PAL PS3....pretty please?

Xizer
06-22-2008, 06:11 AM

ESR utilizes an exploit in the PS2's DVD-Video functionality to load burned games. In order for this exploit to be used it requires a small hack to the ISO of the game to identify it as a DVD-Video file to the PS2. That is what it was designed for; backups. As a consequence of this, however, it can play backups from any region.

I am sure there is a program out there to let you disable the PS2's region encoding for non-burned games but I don't know where. I will look into this.

Kitsune Sniper
06-22-2008, 10:21 AM
A standard Action Replay MAX for the PS2 can be used to transfer files from a flash drive using the PS2's USB ports. A Code Breaker can also be used. Code Breakers can be obtained for $15 at GameStop and Action Replays for $30.

Any flash drive should work, and the Action Replay even comes with its own.

Tell that to my Codebreaker disc. It doesn't like any of the flash drives I used.

jcalder8
06-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Man that is awesome. I'm going to have to try this out.

Oobgarm
06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Tell that to my Codebreaker disc. It doesn't like any of the flash drives I used.

And the one I got didn't like three different PS2s I tried it in. Even exchanged it twice, no luck.

Xizer
06-22-2008, 05:01 PM

I guess Code Breaker sucks then. Action Replay recognizes all of my flash drives. I can tell you that if you buy an Action Replay it will come with a flash drive that it does recognize.

Have you tried formatting the flash drives so they are fresh and clean? I know that a lot of flash drives come with this stupid proprietary software packaged onto them because apparently dragging and dropping shit in Explorer windows is too "advanced."

Icarus Moonsight
06-22-2008, 09:47 PM
So it's rip, patch and burn. Now I understand. Just an extra step but, it's worthwhile if I can play imports without a hard mod. :) Still happy. It's like playing imports on a Saturn using the swap trip as the circumvent. Except instead of patching the region you're patching the format. Neat.

Captain Wrong
06-24-2008, 01:57 PM
If you can use this to boot HDLoader, you can load your imports on that and play 'em and not have to futz with discs. I've had one JPN game give me trouble out of about 20 JPN and EU games I own using the HDLoader (and from what I understand, that's got nothing to do with my US PS2, it's the game itself.)

Of course, I may be missing what this is, but I'm assuming it's just an ELF Loader that doesn't need a PSX game to trigger it, correct?

Icarus Moonsight
06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Unless I got it wrong, yeah, I think that's it. Just put the card in a slot and away you go. (We'll, after you have patched burns.)

Xizer
06-24-2008, 03:20 PM
If you can use this to boot HDLoader, you can load your imports on that and play 'em and not have to futz with discs. I've had one JPN game give me trouble out of about 20 JPN and EU games I own using the HDLoader (and from what I understand, that's got nothing to do with my US PS2, it's the game itself.)

Of course, I may be missing what this is, but I'm assuming it's just an ELF Loader that doesn't need a PSX game to trigger it, correct?

Yes, and it also works with any slim PS2, which lack hard drive capability unless you use a USB hard drive, which is extremely slow due to the PS2's old USB ports. That is why the burned games development is so important for anyone who doesn't have a fatty. :)

Cryomancer
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
So what all exactly does one need for this? I've got a fat ps2 with a fliptop and swap magic discs, and a stock slim.

I assume I need: a pc of course, a spare memcard i can format once (and then it works as normal, correct?), some sort of action replay / usb thumbdrive business?

i'm reading it over and something in the process still isn't quite clicking in my brain.

Xizer
06-24-2008, 10:09 PM
So what all exactly does one need for this? I've got a fat ps2 with a fliptop and swap magic discs, and a stock slim.

I assume I need: a pc of course, a spare memcard i can format once (and then it works as normal, correct?), some sort of action replay / usb thumbdrive business?

i'm reading it over and something in the process still isn't quite clicking in my brain.

Can Swap Magic run .ELF files off of an inserted disc, or copy files from a disc to a PS2 memory card? If it can, I think you can burn the necessary files for this to a disc and bypass the whole Action Replay / USB drive step completely.

This is a tutorial I originally used to get this all going but I am sure there is an easier method now. Note that you do not need a hard drive or network adapter, unless you intend to run HDLoader to play games off of the PS2's hard drive:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1883489&pagenumber=1

This is the old "Independence" exploit that you need an Action Replay, USB flash drive, and PS1 game disc for. Once I had the Independence exploit up and running and could run homebrew on my PS2, I ran the Free MC Boot .ELF file in uLaunchELF and had it flash my memory card with the Free MC Boot exploit so I no longer needed a PS1 game.

SegaAges
06-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I just want a way to finally play Initial D on my PS2 :)

Xizer
06-25-2008, 12:58 AM
:eek 2: Indeed. Wow.

Gonna have to try this out. I just need to borrow a PAL and Jp game to test before I start seeking imports to nab. Didn't Vib Ribbon get a PS2 sequal? Mojib Ribbon or something or other? :) That would be suspect zero then Sega Ages here I come. LOL

I wonder. Will this work with PS1 format burns? Would be nice to get a back-up system to play existing dupes in case the PSX crashes and burns down the road.

There is an ELF file you can use to load burned PS1 games as well, it is kind of like ESR.

http://rapidshare.com/files/121714077/PSXLAUNCHER.ELF.html

Oobgarm
06-25-2008, 05:59 AM
I'd assume that a USB HDD on a fat PS2 would work as well, bypassing the need for the increasingly expensive Network Adapter?

I've got some acquaintances that might dig this if so.

Xizer
06-25-2008, 08:36 AM
I'd assume that a USB HDD on a fat PS2 would work as well, bypassing the need for the increasingly expensive Network Adapter?

I've got some acquaintances that might dig this if so.

The PS2 has USB 1.1 ports, I don't think a USB hard drive would even be worth it in terms of speed improvement over a disc.

The network adapter is only $15 at GameStop, dude. It's really not that expensive, I picked one up a few weeks ago.

GameStops at these locations currently have the PS2 network adapter in stock.

-Ridge Plaza
-Cincinnati Mills
-Rookwood Commons

youruglyclone
06-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Can't wait to try ESR, thanks OP

Captain Wrong
06-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I've seen the network adapters for $15 at GS as well. Trust me, it's the best $15 you'll spend on your fat PS2.

youruglyclone
06-25-2008, 09:01 PM
totally worked, thanks for the heads up OP!

Sudo
06-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I read through those links, but I guess I somehow still don't get what exactly it is that you need to do in order to play the burned games. I understand how to patch them and all, but not what else is required. I have a fat PS2, a network adapter and a memory card. Can anyone quickly sum up what it is I'd need to do to get started?