PDA

View Full Version : The Space Invaders Extreme thread

G-Boobie
06-20-2008, 01:59 AM
I picked this up for twenty bucks today on lunch break, and it's awesome!

I remember playing Space Invaders on the old Commodore 64 back in the day, so I have fond memories of the franchise, but the core gameplay is pretty stale by now: Space Invaders is something you respect and admire on the condition that you don't actually have to play it. A friend whom I trust insisted I try it anyway, and I'm glad I did; this is an actual evolution of the Space Invader concept and I think it's a huge leap in the right direction. Think Pac Man Championship Edition and you aren't far off. The gameplay is basically the same as the original Space Invaders, but with all kinds of excellent power ups, bonus levels, and hidden stuff.

There are boss encounters where you have to shoot giant Space Invaders apart pixel by pixel. There is a laser power up that can obliterate entire blocks of enemies in seconds. There are UFO's that take you to hidden mini levels if you hit them. Basically, it's great.

It's twenty bucks new, I think it's on both PSP and DS (I picked up the DS version because I'm nerd enough to seriously consider importing the DS paddle attachment) and my local Gamestop had five or six of each version(much to my surprise)... I don't know why Square Enix would ship enough Space Invaders to go around but completely skimp on The World Ends With You, but that's another thread. The point is, it's available and cheap.

Taito really hit it out of the park with this one. Consider this one highly recommended.

josekortez
06-20-2008, 03:12 AM
I want to bite, but I don't know if the U.S. versions of Arkanoid and Space Invaders Extreme will work with the Japanese paddle controller, so I might bite on the Japanese versions of the game. Does anybody know if the controller support has been disabled in the U.S. games?

scooby105
06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
From what I've read, the paddle works with the US versions.

Bojay1997
06-20-2008, 10:06 AM
From what I've read, the paddle works with the US versions.

Correct. I have personally tested it.

NE146
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I remember playing Space Invaders on the old Commodore 64 back in the day, so I have fond memories of the franchise, but the core gameplay is pretty stale by now: Space Invaders is something you respect and admire on the condition that you don't actually have to play it.

Well if you only played the Commodore 64 version, of course that was missing a lot of the core gameplay aspects of the game that all arcade players knew about. ;) I can still play the original Space Invaders to this day! I love it :D It's more of a strategic shooter and once you know the tricks, it gets fun to do them. I'll tell you what has stale gameplay, and that's Galaxian... and yes there's a world of difference between the "move left/right & shoot simplicity of Galaxian, vs. the deliberate strategy you gotta bring to a good session of Space Invaders/Space Invaders pt 2, especially in the later stages.

But that being said, I totally agree on Space Invaders Extreme. It's an awesome update. I imported the japanese version but now I gotta get the U.S. version just to complete my collection LOL My favorite thing to play on it is the RANKED mode. The difficutly in that ramps up nicely :)

Cryomancer
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
I am a fan of Space Invaders 95: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojw7r60GeWM

This one also sounds promising, I'll have to give it a try.

Sudo
06-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I've been playing the DS version a bit and it's pretty fun. I'm on level 4 so far, and it's getting progressively harder. The boss battles and myriad of bonus rounds are probably my favorite parts of the game.

heybtbm
06-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Nobody has this game in stock. WTH?

Chuplayer
06-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Does the paddle fit in fat DS systems?

PapaStu
06-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Nope. Designed exclusively for the DS Lite.

Vectorman0
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM

Are you sure? I haven't played mine in a couple months, but I swear I remember it sticking out a little bit while in my DS Lite (meaning it could fit in an original DS).

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-20-2008, 07:25 PM
I'm picking this one up tomorrow for PSP. Looks awesome.

WizDawg
06-20-2008, 07:49 PM
I picked this up yesterday and it looks like I already found a bug in the game. On Level 2 before the Boss stage I died and killed the last invader at the same time. I continued on to the Boss but he/she/it never showed up. The music played and my ship was there and I was able to shoot but no Boss. WTF????

meancode
06-20-2008, 07:50 PM
I want to bite, but I don't know if the U.S. versions of Arkanoid and Space Invaders Extreme will work with the Japanese paddle controller, so I might bite on the Japanese versions of the game. Does anybody know if the controller support has been disabled in the U.S. games?

They do. I confirmed this with my Sqeenix rep when they were announced and have played them both with the paddle controller now that I have the US versions.

modest9797
06-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Space invaders is one of my favorite classic games and I can't wait to pick up EXTREME!!

ubersaurus
06-24-2008, 12:00 AM
Take note: NCSX is back in stock of DS paddle controllers. Hit em up before they're sold out!

Bloodreign
06-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Bought the PSP version and am simply amazed a modern title actually has me hooked on it, I usually play nothing but older games (the original Space Invaders and it's sequels too), but this one feels like retro with a fresh coat of paint that just shines in the sun.

Brilliantly designed game, can't go wrong with either the PSP or DS versions of the game.

heybtbm
06-24-2008, 06:55 AM
I picked up the last copy (DS version) at Target yesterday. Pretty cool game. Once I got the hang of it, I blasted through the first level completely kicking ass...or so I thought. After all those points, I only got a "B" ranking. Easily worth $20.

namzep
06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
It's definitely on my to pick up list but I have such a huge backlog that I'm trying not to pick up and new stuff to play right now. Translation: I'll probably end up picking it up next month. :)

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I FINALLY popped Space Invaders Extreme into my PSP at NAVA today.

FUCKING.

AMAZING.

If Space Invaders ever had a problem as a series it was speed and repetition / lack of variety.

This fixes both of those issues while at the same time throwing in some of the best audio/visual flare this side of Lumines.

Space Invaders Extreme is the bastard son of Space Invaders and Lumines.

What the hell are you waiting for? GO. BUY. NOW!

xfrumx
06-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Does the paddle fit in fat DS systems?

Are you sure? I haven't played mine in a couple months, but I swear I remember it sticking out a little bit while in my DS Lite (meaning it could fit in an original DS).

Works perfect in my original DS so everyone should be happy with these!

zektor
06-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I FINALLY popped Space Invaders Extreme into my PSP at NAVA today.

FUCKING.

AMAZING.

If Space Invaders ever had a problem as a series it was speed and repetition / lack of variety.

This fixes both of those issues while at the same time throwing in some of the best audio/visual flare this side of Lumines.

Space Invaders Extreme is the bastard son of Space Invaders and Lumines.

What the hell are you waiting for? GO. BUY. NOW!

I agree! Picked this one up the other day, and I must say, what a freakin' awesome update. They could have copped out and created simple a graphically updated SI and threw in the original games as usual, but I must commend the programmers for doing something MUCH better than that. As said above, GO BUY IT.

Chuplayer
06-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Works perfect in my original DS so everyone should be happy with these!

Thank you! I'll have to get one from NCSX before they sell out of their final shipment.

(Read: I'm going to delay getting it until I can't get it easily anymore.)

davidbrit2
06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm up for trying some online multiplayer.

244960-510927

gepeto
06-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Which is the version to get the psp or the ds? This one looks really good I must say I was kinda dissapointed in the last ds space invader game I am not sure why.

davidbrit2
06-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Which is the version to get the psp or the ds? This one looks really good I must say I was kinda dissapointed in the last ds space invader game I am not sure why.

DS. It's got more music and sound effects, more Fever rounds, and online play and scoreboards. PSP has slightly better visuals, and a higher audio sample rate.

Lady Jaye
08-12-2008, 01:16 PM
I wasn't convinced at first as I'm not the biggest Space Invaders fan out there, but after trying out the DS version (a colleague of mine lent it to me last week), I really like it. It borrows from Galaga and from Arkanoid, and that makes it more fun than the original. Definitely a good purchase at $20...

Nature Boy
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM
DS. It's got more music and sound effects, more Fever rounds, and online play and scoreboards. PSP has slightly better visuals, and a higher audio sample rate.

More Fever rounds? Just curious - where did you hear this? The review I read mentioned the extra online stuff for DS but didn't say anything about the gameplay being different.

Personally, I own a DS so that I can play games on a touchscreen. This was a PSP purchase for me totally. Online gaming on a handheld isn't anything that swings my purchase decision one way or the other at this point.

davidbrit2
08-12-2008, 06:53 PM
More Fever rounds? Just curious - where did you hear this? The review I read mentioned the extra online stuff for DS but didn't say anything about the gameplay being different.

I've played both versions pretty extensively, and I've definitely come across a few Fever rounds in the DS version that I haven't seen on the PSP (shoot up formations, shoot popping invaders, possibly shoot giant blue invaders, etc.).

Plus the stage 4 boss is completely different between the two.

WizDawg
08-13-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm stuck on Extreme Stage 5 (Arcade mode) for the DS. It's very hard to get to the end Boss. I think I made it to him twice, out of probably 100 tries. Anybody beat him yet? Tips, suggestions, secrets, cheats, anybody?

ps. amazing game imho.

Frankie_Says_Relax
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM

From it's wiki entry "... in gameplay terms both versions are the same, sharing the same levels, attack formations, similar graphics, music and power-ups ..."

I have both versions and I haven't seen any "extra" fever rounds on the DS.

Perhaps it's the "compressed" 1-screen aspect of the PSP version that makes you feel as if they're "different" on the DS and PSP.

The most sorely missing feature of the PSP version is the lack online play. Otherwise they're both great and if you have both systems, I'd say actually worth dropping $20 on each so you can have it on the go regardless of which portable you take with you.

davidbrit2
08-13-2008, 12:05 PM
From it's wiki entry "... in gameplay terms both versions are the same, sharing the same levels, attack formations, similar graphics, music and power-ups ..."

I have both versions and I haven't seen any "extra" fever rounds on the DS.

Well, I have both versions, and I have seen extra fever rounds on DS. I've yet to see the "popping invaders" one come up on PSP (the one where they come in just above the crease in the screen, and periodically jump down below the crease, and you can only kill them when they're below it for that brief period).

NE146
08-13-2008, 02:10 PM
I think rather than calling it "online play" lets call it what it is...

What the DS HAS that the PSP version doesn't is the "Ranking" mode. Moreso than online scores, the big draw of it is to see how far you can go, and how much you can score with NO continues. It's a man's version of the game LOL

So in other words it's much more challenging than the regular arcade mode and I dont know why they would leave that out of the PSP version even if you couldn't upload your scores.

Frankie_Says_Relax
08-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Well, I have both versions, and I have seen extra fever rounds on DS. I've yet to see the "popping invaders" one come up on PSP (the one where they come in just above the crease in the screen, and periodically jump down below the crease, and you can only kill them when they're below it for that brief period).

Yeah, I've seen that bonus round on the DS as well, and it's one that takes advantage of the 2-screen setup.

Even in the event that that bonus round is in fact exclusive to the DS version ... the only reason that it wouldn't be available on the PSP is because it uses the double screen setup in a very specific way.

Overall the DS version is more robust in terms of features ... but both versions are beautifully produced and IMO it's too close to call one a clear-cut winner over something like one exclusive bonus round or an online ranking mode.