PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Vesperia demo is up on the Japanese XBLM.

Sudo
06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
It's fully in English, so no worries about figuring things out. The graphics are gorgeous; it really looks like a living anime. It's a rather short demo, but it's only 280MB so I kinda expected as much. With this and Too Human both releasing in August, and Infinite Undiscovery the first week of September (not to mention The Last Remnant and Fallout 3 in Oct/Nov), the 360 is going to have plenty of RPG goodness to go around. :)

carlcarlson
06-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is there anyway to get that in the US?

Sudo
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, all you have to do is create a new Gamertag and set your location to Japan. You'll need a Japanese postal code, but they're easy enough to find online.

heybtbm
06-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, all you have to do is create a new Gamertag and set your location to Japan. You'll need a Japanese postal code, but they're easy enough to find online.

It's also a good way to get your main account temporarily banned from XBL. This was a big issue two years ago with people wanting foreign demos and creating bogus accounts. Personally, I don't see what the harm is, but apparently MS disagrees. Do a search at www.MajorNelson.com (http://www.MajorNelson.com) for the specifics.

Sudo
06-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Eh, I've downloaded a bunch of Japanese demos and haven't had any problems. Maybe they don't care anymore? Frankly I don't see what their reasoning for doing so in the past is, anyway.

udisi
06-20-2008, 03:28 PM
The problem for MS is distribution rights and such. The companies who make the games have different rights for different markets, etc...In the US things have to pass the ESRB, and other legal things.

Daria
06-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Fuck it. I'm making a Japanese account. I have two xboxs and two main household gamertags. Should be good to go.

Melf
06-20-2008, 04:26 PM
It's also a good way to get your main account temporarily banned from XBL. This was a big issue two years ago with people wanting foreign demos and creating bogus accounts. Personally, I don't see what the harm is, but apparently MS disagrees. Do a search at www.MajorNelson.com (http://www.MajorNelson.com) for the specifics.

I've had a Japanese account for over a year and have had no problems.

Overbite
06-20-2008, 06:30 PM
that boss is a huge pain :( I beat it though. The demo is short and Yuri has weird attacks. I need to get used to it.

The game is a month away :(

FantasiaWHT
06-20-2008, 06:46 PM
I think the Tales series went majorly downhill after Symphonia. I stopped caring about it.

Sudo
06-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I think the Tales series went majorly downhill after Symphonia. I stopped caring about it.

I thought Tales of the Abyss was much better than Symphonia; it's actually my favorite Tales game, period. ToS just felt so cliche and over dramatic. I still enjoyed it, just not nearly as much as TotA. The ironic thing is that I hadn't planned on buying TotA at all, but picked it up on a whim while I was at EB buying SMT: Devil Summoner. I ended up not liking Devil Summoner much at all, and loving TotA.

Overbite
06-21-2008, 02:07 PM

It didn't really go downhill if Abyss is twice the game Symphonia is. Legendia was fun but it wasn't better than Symphonia.

darkhades
06-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Same here

FantasiaWHT
06-22-2008, 09:59 AM
I played about 15 hours of Abyss but I couldn't stand it. Didn't catch my interest at all.

RadiantSvgun
06-23-2008, 01:31 AM
I played about 15 hours of Abyss but I couldn't stand it. Didn't catch my interest at all.

Same. The only one I've loved was Tales of Destiny II. Legendia was just too damn cheezy for me, and Abyss, just couldn't get into it. Symphonia seems cool, but finding a complete copy around here is a pain.

carlcarlson
07-15-2008, 07:20 AM
This is up on the US network now for anyone interested. I got it first thing and was frankly kind of disappointed. It looked decent and all (aside from the "cut scenes"), but the gameplay was kind of blah. Once I got in a battle all I had to do was button mash until it was over. This worked every single time without fail. That is until I got to the boss battle, and then I got murdered. Still, I just lost a lot of enthusiasm for this one.

Daria
07-15-2008, 07:54 AM
This is up on the US network now for anyone interested. I got it first thing and was frankly kind of disappointed. It looked decent and all (aside from the "cut scenes"), but the gameplay was kind of blah. Once I got in a battle all I had to do was button mash until it was over. This worked every single time without fail. That is until I got to the boss battle, and then I got murdered. Still, I just lost a lot of enthusiasm for this one.

I think you just described every Tales title. While button mashing is great for grinding, you have to approach every boss with a little strategic thinking.

I also really liked Tales of the Abyss, I loved how the main character starts off as this self absorbed naive asshole and matures throughout the game. Reminded me of how Lucia discovered her own humanity in Lunar 2. The art style was also refreshing, but then Tales is always a very pretty series.