PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero On Tour - Your Thoughts

Carey85
06-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I was able to obtain a copy of Guitar Hero On Tour today from a retailer that was goodly enough to break street date. At first glance the outer packaging is very nice. Upon opening the box, there is a plastic caddy that holds the game cartridge in an SD style snapcase, an adaptor for the DS phat, and the guitar peripheral itself, which in turn houses the stylus. It upset me that the game software itself is not in a clamshell case, instead they cheaped out with the little snapcase, leaving the manual floating around in the outer box.

Upon playing the game, I first noticed that the game is not lefty friendly at all, even with lefty flip and color flip enabled. In addition, I had a large degree of difficulty even being able to accurately depress the blue fret button on account of having short pinkies. The peripheral itself does not stay inserted into the DS well at all, causing me to at one point drop my DS. The game itself looks very good, sounds good, and is as intuitive as the touchpad will allow it to be. I however, just found it to be a little too frustrating for my tastes and had to box it back up.

Also, the $50 price tag seems a little prohibitive for most folks out there. I'm just curious as to others' thoughts and opinions...

norkusa
06-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Upon playing the game, I first noticed that the game is not lefty friendly at all, even with lefty flip and color flip enabled.

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I won't be buying it after all.

Dastardly Dylan
06-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I have the game pre-ordered at my local Gamecrazy, and I can't wait to get it!

NytroSkull7
06-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I was able to obtain a copy of Guitar Hero On Tour today from a retailer that was goodly enough to break street date. At first glance the outer packaging is very nice. Upon opening the box, there is a plastic caddy that holds the game cartridge in an SD style snapcase, an adaptor for the DS phat, and the guitar peripheral itself, which in turn houses the stylus. It upset me that the game software itself is not in a clamshell case, instead they cheaped out with the little snapcase, leaving the manual floating around in the outer box.

Upon playing the game, I first noticed that the game is not lefty friendly at all, even with lefty flip and color flip enabled. In addition, I had a large degree of difficulty even being able to accurately depress the blue fret button on account of having short pinkies. The peripheral itself does not stay inserted into the DS well at all, causing me to at one point drop my DS. The game itself looks very good, sounds good, and is as intuitive as the touchpad will allow it to be. I however, just found it to be a little too frustrating for my tastes and had to box it back up.

Also, the $50 price tag seems a little prohibitive for most folks out there. I'm just curious as to others' thoughts and opinions...

Well you killed it for me all together! O well back to GBA

kaedesdisciple
06-21-2008, 05:28 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Guess I won't be buying it after all.

ditto, saves me some cash. Go lefties!

joshnickerson
06-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I tried it out last weekend at the TRU event. It wasn't too bad, though using the touch screen to strum takes a bit of getting used too. They also had a display unit out today, though it was impossible to play, due to it being strapped to a metal bar and only three feet off the ground.

I already pre-ordered it (due to the TRU event demo girl being too damn cute for my own good), so I guess I've gotta pick it up eventually...

walrusmonger
06-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I love the strumming, I hate how uncomfortable it is to hold. The game is also mind-numbingly easy, but made hard only because of how hard it is to hold properly. I like the song selection though, but for $50 I would say hold off and get Aerosmith when it comes out next week for an extra $10 if you have a guitar already.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-22-2008, 01:12 AM
I tried it out today.

Here are my abbreviated thoughts :

I had no problems with the fret buttons or the pick stylus, and was actually impressed with the quality of both.

I almost immediately felt my hand/wrist stressing out and could easily see it causing cramps after extended playing sessions.

I noticed that no matter what I did, the DS Lite suffers from MAJOR viewing angle issues when held vertically and at the angle needed to play Guitar Hero on tour. There was a serious lack of lighting brightness/clarity.

Overall, very novel and not bad at all. But with no DLC and only about 20 songs ... I can't see it having much replay value after mastering all the songs on the hardest levels.

zektor
06-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I purchased the Guitar Hero DS Lite bundle set (I needed a new Lite anyway, and wanted the game) and it is pretty good in my opinion. It is really amazing what they did to accomplish this game on the portable. What they should have done tho is to add a microSD slot to the game card to add downloadable content to the game....maybe an idea for the next game if anyone is listening? :)

Lady Jaye
07-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Bah, I'm left-handed and I have small hands, so I guess I can forget about it and just concentrate on getting my copies of Daigasso Band Bros. and its expansion pack back from the guy I sold them to (no profit on either side, so it's all good).

Icarus Moonsight
07-04-2008, 01:43 AM
Was able to actually hold a copy that was sitting out at Target today on an aisle-cap display. The fret controller is too small for my hands... I had to press my fingers together very tightly to rest all four over the buttons. ACK! No good! Abort purchase, repeat, abort purchase. :p

Icarus Moonsight
07-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Well, in my case, no amount of dexterity will overcome the laws of physics. It's literally more cramped than the 23rd-24th fret on a 3/4 scale Jackson neck. For those of you who can't apply that analogy... it's pretty damn scrunched. Game analogy? Alright... Twister's handling rating from Twisted Metal... Ultra Tight! ;)

AVTERA
07-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Im thinking this game going to be good, the review of it in many site look intresting im looking forward to this game :)

BHvrd
07-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Should be considered game of the year imo.

Absolutely fucking love it. Once you get down how it works it's damn flawless in execution, I can't stress how the sensitivity is just so damn in synch with the game, great job.

The fact that careers track scores between each other and you can contend for hi scores with friends and input intials make it that much better.

If only they would have included leaderboards and online matches this would have been the best Guitar Hero all around. As it stands it is a MUST for every DS owner and actually makes me want to play other DS games now. Killer app.

Dastardly Dylan
07-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Well, now that I have the game I might as well share my thoughts on how I feel about this game:

- Soundtrack. They could of made a better soundtrack for this game, most songs are EASY and most are even from GH3.

- Cramps? I don't know what everyone is talking about. The game feels awesome and comfortable when I'm playing it, not once have I gotten a cramp from this game.

- 4 fret buttons? No, I'm not sayng it's bad, it's good cause if they made 5 then I would have a hand cramp. My only complaint is that sometimes it is impossible to even reach the Blue fret.

- Multiplayer. The Mulitiplayer is REALLY fun. A friend of mine has the game and the Guitar Battle is very fun and original. I have never seen some of the items used in any of the GH games before. It's also really cool with the DS cause you gotta sign T-shirts and stuff.

Overall, it's a good game, my only major complaint as I listed above is the soundtrack. I honeslty think they could of made a better soundtrack and a more challenging one.

xfrumx
07-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Does the controller work w/ the original Phatty DS?

xfrumx
07-09-2008, 11:00 PM
anyone?

Retrogamer72
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Does the controller work w/ the original Phatty DS?

Yes it comes with an adapter attachment for the Guitar Grip that allows it to be played on the original DS.

Chuplayer
07-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Yargh!!! Rock the Night by Europe is only available on the European version of the game! WTF? If it was The Final Countdown, it surely would've made it onto the US version. This is bullcrap.

Princess-Isabela
07-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I'll get it.
but only because I won't have to buying instruments all over again.
I'm excited but not as much I'm about rockband 2.
I was hoping smashing pumpkins 1979 would be in either game.
oh well.
super excited about who's pinball wizard though!

Nebagram
07-19-2008, 05:46 AM
I kinda like it as a distraction but it's not a patch on normal GH. I too cramp up after 4 or 5 songs but I doubt it was intended that there would be longer sessions than that- and the peripheral fits amazingly comfortably (though hitting the blue fret with my pinkie does take some getting used to). Songs aren't bad considering it's the DS.

My one gripe would be star power. Every time I activate it I seem to screw up the combo I've got running. Then again, this was often the case when I was starting out on normal GH too, so I'll get over it eventually.

Chuplayer
07-26-2008, 09:36 PM
I picked this up earlier today (along with Stranglehold), and I like it! It feels great. If you get your wrist settled at the correct angle, you won't get sore or feel pangs of pain after you remove your hand from the guitar grip. The game engine is tight. The touch screen handling of the whammy bar and star power is interesting. You can literally whammy over the strings without removing your pick first. It took me a while to realize you could enable star power by tapping the meter, though. I was trying to smack the ABXY buttons and not screw up. I only hit one of those about half of the time. Then I hit the star power bar by accident and figured out a better method. I think you can also enable star power while also strumming by strumming over the star power meter instead of tapping it. It's really flexible.

The sound on the normal DS speakers is all right. It's hard to hear the bass in the beginning of that Jet song, but everything else comes through well enough. Censorship of a couple of the songs ticked me off, though. In Jet Airliner, they decided to cut out "shit" instead of singing "kicks" like in the official clean version. They also butchered the Ozzy song. Can't say "high" and "masturbation" in an E10 rated game. At least they're still fun songs.

The cowgirl character is really cute :embarrassed: Still not liking the lack of Rock the Night, though.

Chuplayer
07-27-2008, 11:17 AM
I plugged my DS into my PC's speakers while playing On Tour. I could hear the bass in the beginning of the Jet song! The overall sound quality is surprisingly good. It doesn't sound spectacular, but it certainly doesn't sound like you're listening to tin cans, either. The compression isn't too noticeable.

What I want to try next is an MP3 player to car radio adapter but instead of an MP3 player, it'll be my DS. Is that even possible?

Rev. Link
07-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Upon playing the game, I first noticed that the game is not lefty friendly at all, even with lefty flip and color flip enabled.

Absolutely couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm a lefty, and I had no problems whatsoever with this game.

Turning on Lefty Flip actually flips the picture around so that it appears right-side-up when you hold it in your left hand. Turning on Color Flip is the equivalent of what Lefty Flip does in the console games, reverses the note chart so that green notes are on the index finger, etc. I don't know what kind of problems the topic creator had, but I can tell all you lefties out there that you will not have any problems with this game. At least not lefty-specific ones. I know two other lefties who have played this and been fine with it.

The only real problem I had with this game is that you almost have to relearn how to play GH. You have to find a comfortable way to hold the thing, one that will allow you to hit all the buttons easily and not wear out your hand. By the time I was through with the first set of songs I had figured it out and was doing fine. I will concur, though, that you will cramp up before too long. Six songs in a row was the most I was ever able to play, but it is a portable game, not really designed to be played for long amounts of time.

There are 25 songs, some of which are very cool, some are reused from GH3, but with the new button scheme that means new note charts, so they do play differently. The fact that you can activate star power with the mic is awesome. Just blow on it! No worries about losing your combo hitting buttons or tilting.

To sum up, it did take me some time to get the hang of this game, but once I did I very much enjoyed it. For a portable game that could have just been a cheap rush job capitalizing on a popular franchise, I think it was very well done. And once again, lefties have nothing to fear from this!