PDA

View Full Version : Wii Fit tells 10-year-old she's fat

CartCollector
06-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Link (http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26390271)

Discuss.

skaar
06-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Old news.

Pay attention.

Fuzzball24
06-22-2008, 02:01 PM
BMI I believe was only made to suit adults, not children. Do people really get this upset over this kind of stuff?

It's just a game.

:)

DaBargainHunta
06-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Old news.

Pay attention.
Yeah it is, but you don't have to be such a fucking asshole about it.

modest9797
06-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Who cares what a video game says. Listen to a doctor.

gum_drops
06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
BMI I believe was only made to suit adults, not children. Do people really get this upset over this kind of stuff?

It's just a game.

:)

There actually is a BMI for adolescents.

I ran the test for this girl on the CDC website, you can see the results here (http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Result.aspx?&dob=6/1/1998&dom=6/1/2008&age=120&ht=57&wt=84&gender=2&method=0&inchtext=0&wttext=0).

She is in the normal range for a kid, and would actually be considered underweight if using the adult BMI.

Fuzzball24
06-22-2008, 02:16 PM

I ran the test for this girl on the CDC website, you can see the results here (http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/Result.aspx?&dob=6/1/1998&dom=6/1/2008&age=120&ht=57&wt=84&gender=2&method=0&inchtext=0&wttext=0).

She is in the normal range for a kid, and would actually be considered underweight if using the adult BMI.

Yeah, I doubt she's fat. Point is, would you actaully let Wii Fit give a good judge on your BMI? I sure the hell wouldn't.

modest9797
06-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Wow. Was the Wii Fit reading some sort of glich or something?

Porksta
06-22-2008, 03:26 PM
What? People buy a fitness game and are upset when they get called fat? I guess everyone that bought The Guy Game should get upset everytime they are called pervs.

skaar
06-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Yeah it is, but you don't have to be such a fucking asshole about it.

:D

Discuss.

geneshifter
06-22-2008, 04:47 PM
:D

Discuss.

OK.

You suck. lol

Back on topic, this is just hilarious. I heard about this the day WiiFit came out. I say it's about time these fat kids get someone to tell them they're fat and need to exercise. Goodness know their parents won't for fear of "damaging" them.

IronBuddha
06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Do people really get this upset over this kind of stuff?

No it's people try to find any little reason to sue a big company, or to try to get something free over something so little.

Xizer
06-22-2008, 04:58 PM
http://www.mos95b.com/New/CareFactory.jpg

Overbite
06-22-2008, 05:14 PM
hahahah what a fat girl, the fatty. maybe she could stop being so fat if she wasn't so fat! way to be fat!

Xizer
06-22-2008, 05:36 PM
OH GOD A VIDEO GAME TOLD ME l'M FAT

TIME TO CALL THE PRESS

otoko
06-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Well let's look at the big picture. At least it did not say "Your so fat you should just eat yourself to sleep tonight."

Carey85
06-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Wii Fit told me I was fat. Wait, I am fat. I'm going to be over here in the corner being fat, and not bitching about Nintendo's software functioning as Captain Obvious...

CartCollector
06-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Old news.

Pay attention.

I didn't find it posted on DigitalPress before when I searched (but then again, the stupid 4-letter word limit prevented me from searching for Wii, fit, and fat...) And anyways, some people might not have heard it before. I decided to post it because I found it ironic that video games, which have often been charged with making kids fat, are now being berated because a game told someone that they are fat.

Superman
06-23-2008, 01:51 AM
I hadn't heard about this issue before.

The easiest way to deal with the issue is to understand that there will always be problems when something tries to categorize society in general. Most people can fit into a general category, but some people have variables that make them unique for a particular issue, which could be the case with the girl.

emceelokey
06-23-2008, 02:55 AM
I think much like how games with Japanese voice acting along with English voice action will default to the English dub in the U.S. It probably defaults to hey you're a fatty.

Icarus Moonsight
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I bet she dropped her McDonald's Happy Meal sack in shock when it told her. :D

"What do you mean there's no Double Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese Happy Meal? I have a big kid OK. Burger King has a "Big Kids Meal". Taking the hint here?.... Well you got DQP's right?"

"Yes ma'am!"

You also have Happy Meal sacks right?"

"Yes, surely."

"Then what's the problem?!?"

"There's no button for that order..."

"McRetard..."

Jimid2
06-23-2008, 04:42 PM

hahaha... I ran the test for myself on that site using the BMI for adults... I'm 6'2" and weigh in at 196 lbs and it says I have a BMI of 25.2, and that I am "overweight"... :roll: I am many things, but I sure as hell am NOT overweight, in any sense of the word! The only way I could weigh less is if I stopped working out and stopped eating to shrink my muscle mass...

The measurement is idiotic!

jb143
06-23-2008, 05:12 PM
And that stupid dog laughed at me when I missed on duck hunt. I've never been the same since :bawling:

The Zapper wouldn't shoot him so I had to use my dad's shotgun. He's not laughing any more. :rockets:
[/SARCASM]

Some people take things way too seriously.

Mangar
06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
The BMI is also complete bullshit.

I remember at a routine physical, my doctor weighed me, and told me that I'm obese. I sorta raised an eyebrow and he chuckled and explained that the BMI is pretty much completely meaningless. According to the BMI, 95% of the NFL are all obese to morbidly obese. So are most athletes. Then said I should keep doing whatever it is that I do.

To explain: I'm in the gym training 3 times a week, can squat close to 500 pounds (5x5), and generally spend most of my gym sessions lifting weights. I'm not in any way fat, but because muscle weighs more then fat - If you went solely by the BMI index, I'm an overweight pork chop.

ProgrammingAce
06-25-2008, 01:33 PM
BMI is a measurement created to track a large group of people, the outliers even themselves out. It's not meant to be used on a single individual.

Unfortunately it's too hard to do a body fat check through a video game.

FrakAttack
06-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I wonder if it also locked her out of playing Diner Dash?

modest9797
06-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Or changed all recipies to salads in Cooking Mama

Slate
06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Probably a bit late to post this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqz1ojIQTBk&fmt=18

Just for a laugh.. Don't take it seriously..

SegaAges
07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
I am fat and I know that I am fat. I have lost over 60 pounds without a video game telling me otherwise.

If you don't like the game or what it says, don't play it. If you don't like violence, don't play GTA and then complain that there is too much violence.

That game is about getting fit, so who cares what the hell it says if you are fat or not.

If you are not playing the game to get fit, then you are playing the wrong game.

Step outside of the trends. Don't play a game because it is popular. I have never played Halo 3. I didn't like Halo 1 and felt that 2 was just an upgrade of 1, and the beta of 3 I did not like at all, so I never played Halo 3 (err, cept fpr the beta).

GTA games, I love them. I have been playing them since 1 and London, so I will end up getting 4 eventually.

Honestly, what does a 10 year old girl need to play wii fit for? Does she also go to the gym and workout to make sure that she isn't fat as well? I bet not, because she is f'ing 10!

If you truly enjoy your iPod and the features, get an iPod. If not, there are plenty of good, cheaper mp3 players that will work all the same for your purposes. Same with iPhones, etc, <insert another trendy thing here>.

Wii Fit is the new "in" game. It is trendy. Do you honestly think that you are going to lose weight on a video game? I can tell you from personal experience that every single person is different. When I lost my 60 pounds, I tried using DDR (well, pump it up on Xbox because I scored it in a bargain bin, but either way) it did not work. Give that 10 year old Mario Kart and tell you Thank You for Playing a game that relates to you so little to the point where you played it and wondered why something strange happened when a game has nothing to do with you.

Let us fat people play Wii Fit, because it is very possible that this will work for some of us, and it will work out great. I have seen youtube videos of 10 year old kids playing guitar hero and doing really, good, so get your kid that and see if she is fat from that game. She won't be, she will rock.

I love trends.

/rant over

(sorry, I got a kid sister that gets into every single trend out there and it gets old really fast, so if I offended you, it happens)

Fuyukaze
07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
hmm....wii fit says i'm too fat to even play. should this even bother me?

Icarus Moonsight
07-04-2008, 02:05 AM
I saw the message she must have got! I put in that I was a 12 year old girl and got on the board... It came up at the top of the scale of Obese and was followed by this text, "You're a fat little heifer there ain't ya? Nobody loves you. Go eat a bullet fatty. Now, get off of me very carefully if you can manage all that bulk you're carrying Ms. Piggy. Wouldn't want you to fall, face first - mouth open, onto some fried food or anything. Don't forget to use the wrist strap! If it'll fit over those little fat meat clubs you try to pass off as hands." Brutal. O_O

Slate
07-04-2008, 06:03 PM
I saw the message she must have got! I put in that I was a 12 year old girl and got on the board... It came up at the top of the scale of Obese and was followed by this text, "You're a fat little heifer there ain't ya? Nobody loves you. Go eat a bullet fatty. Now, get off of me very carefully if you can manage all that bulk you're carrying Ms. Piggy. Wouldn't want you to fall, face first - mouth open, onto some fried food or anything. Don't forget to use the wrist strap! If it'll fit over those little fat meat clubs you try to pass off as hands." Brutal. O_O

That can't be real.

Icarus Moonsight
07-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Yes it is; swear to God and cross my heart, eyes and fingers. ;)

modest9797
07-04-2008, 06:43 PM
That can't be real.

I am 99% sure he's joking.