PDA

View Full Version : Which last gen titles WILL be rare??

Deadman
06-23-2008, 10:56 AM
This topic could almost fall into the classic gaming category at this point, but I think technically it belongs here.

As I sift through bins of Xbox, GC, and PS2 games I see many titles that I've never seen before - even after 7-8 years of being in existence. Since the online rarity guide doesn't rate this "last gen" for rarity yet (other than a 0 or 1), I was wondering which games seem to be rare. Here are a couple of examples of games that I saw this weekend that I have NEVER seen before:

Freaky Flyers (Xbox) - don't have any recollection of it's release or any talk of the game itself. Looks fun though and my kids are having a good time with it.

Drive For Life (Xbox) - this game is all Volvo products and almost looks like something you'd get for test driving a real Volvo. The manual is almost a brochure for the car, discussing features and promoting the Volvo line, rather than gameplay.

Ford Bold Moves Street Racing (Xbox) - similar to the Volvo game above, but more game oriented.

There were a couple more including some GC games, but I can't remember them right now. So, the question is what games do you guys consider "rare" from last gen?

Also, if information on these titles is needed for the database (as the two car games aren't currently listed) I can definitely scan the boxes or manuals if that would be helpful!

nestlekwik
06-23-2008, 12:07 PM
When I worked for a game store a couple years back, we couldn't get rid of Freaky Fliers no matter how hard we tried. Since the store was in a college city and the cover art looked pretty goofy, that may be why. I could potentially see it being a little harder to find, but I doubt it will ever be worth any money. That's just my personal opinion based on the experience I had with it and I'm glad your children are enjoying it.

MrSparkle
06-23-2008, 12:09 PM
easiest way to make sure you wind up with all the rares is to buy EVERY SINGLE LAST GEN GAME THATS FOR SALE!!! or just try to read the trends, rpgs always seem to go up in price so obscure rpgs that are alot of fun are the first things i can think of to get your hands on. Cool wierd ultra japanese imports. the big names wont really become rare but will have a constant demand which can artificially inflate prices (ie ff7).

Slate
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Psychonauts and Stubbs The Zombie, For two. I remember seeing ads for Freaky Flyers back in 2003 or so, But I never picked up a copy. I saw a copy in the last year or so for $4 used in Fye or Gamestop.

mailman187666
06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
for last gen, I would say grab what is already worth a little bit on ebay, and chances are they may retain some form of value (Marvel VS. Capcom 2, Metal Gear solid 3 Subsisence LE) those are refering to PS2 games. I also tend to try and pick up the obscure RPGs that have been put out. NIS and Atlus rpgs tend to keep some form of value. Also if you were to keep certain games sealed such as those RPGs, you'll probably get a bit more for them.

Oobgarm
06-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Drive for Life might actually end up being hard to find.

Thing is, the games that WILL be rare are the one no one cares about. Market saturation was huge this generation, leaving few OMG RARE possibilites. Stuff might be hard to find reigionally, but I think that RARE will be a very choice word this go-round.

retrogarden
06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
The PS2 version of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 seems to go for a lot on ebay. I bought the PS2 version for 20 a while back, and I think it's holding it's value well, maybe increasing....

Deadman
06-23-2008, 12:35 PM
When I worked for a game store a couple years back, we couldn't get rid of Freaky Fliers no matter how hard we tried. Since the store was in a college city and the cover art looked pretty goofy, that may be why. I could potentially see it being a little harder to find, but I doubt it will ever be worth any money. That's just my personal opinion based on the experience I had with it and I'm glad your children are enjoying it.

It plays a little like a Mario/DK flying game, also somewhat like Toy Commander from the DC era. Pretty fun game I have to say.

Deadman
06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Drive for Life might actually end up being hard to find.

After having played it for about 10 minutes, it might be hard to find but it will NEVER be desirable. Ugh. Again, I don't know the origins of it, but it might as well say "Thanks for Test Driving a Volvo" on the front, as it is just an ad for their 2005 models.

What's funny is that it has terrible driving physics, but it's supposed to be an ad for their traction and driving control systems. With their control system "on", the car corners like it's on rails. You can take a 90 degree turn at just about full speed. Yeah, I'm sure it's just like the real thing....

Deadman
06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
for last gen, I would say grab what is already worth a little bit on ebay, and chances are they may retain some form of value (Marvel VS. Capcom 2, Metal Gear solid 3 Subsisence LE) those are refering to PS2 games. I also tend to try and pick up the obscure RPGs that have been put out. NIS and Atlus rpgs tend to keep some form of value. Also if you were to keep certain games sealed such as those RPGs, you'll probably get a bit more for them.

As far as value goes, it's pretty easy to tell which ones are gonna hold up better - including the RPG's and known franchises, like SW: KOTOR II etc. I was just more curious about which ones you guys thought would be tough to find down the road, like Psychonauts, etc. Another one that I rarely see is that SeaWorld Shamu game. Every once in a while I'll see it and when I do, it usually goes for at least $10-15 used! I would think that it must be a rarity issue, because is it really that good of a game??

Xian042
06-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I had a hard time finding Battle Engine Aquila for a while.

calgon
06-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Really anything by Atlus. I'd also say gitaroo man, pyschonauts, and some of the psp games that were recently ported to ps2.

mailman187666
06-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Really anything by Atlus. I'd also say gitaroo man, pyschonauts, and some of the psp games that were recently ported to ps2.

other than the metal gear solid 3: LE, I think the console games aren't going to be so much rare than they are desireable to drive values up. If something like Final Fantasy 7 can get the amounts that it does on ebay and whatnot, whats to say FFX or something like that won't do the same? maybe not those titles specifically but I'm sure you catch my drift. Careful with Atlus titles because a lot of them have been reprinted (Nocturne, Disgaea) and the likes. I don't really see there being much for rarities on original xbox though.

As far as the PSP goes (and DS for that matter), you may have a better chance of your game being rare down the line (Etrian Odysey, any game that only been available through online orders, games such as Castlevania: PoR that you have the desirable pre-order bonuses for). Will there ever be a chance of there being R6+ games? highly doubtful.

diskoboy
06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
The original Xbox Ninja Gaiden still seems to be fetching a hefty price tag. Used copies are still going for about $25-$30, here. Depending on where you shop.

GM80
06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast (Xbox version). There was even a little heated discussion for a while as to whether it actually came out or not in the US ... I snagged one for $14.99 new a few months ago.

Anecdotal reports from the field:

ToeJam & Earl III on Xbox seems to have had a relatively small run for an Xbox game, and I've only seen one copy of the GameCube version of Dragon's Lair 3D. I can't tell whether Ikaruga (GameCube) is uncommon or just so cherished that no one trades it in.

Those are a few off the top of my head.

DigitalSpace
06-23-2008, 04:17 PM
We've discussed this for the Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, and GBA before. Here's the threads:

Rare Xbox Games (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80144)
THE rarest Gamecube game? (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51193)
Rare PS2 Games? (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91686)
Rarest GBA Games (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32502)

TheDomesticInstitution
06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
We've discussed this for the Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, and GBA before. Here's the threads:

THE rarest Gamecube game? (http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51193)

I agree. Why not use the search function and bring back those threads from the dead, if you want to know. And if you read them, they mention some of the very same titles that people are calling "rare" here.

But, this is one of those debates that won't be that valid for another year or two. Some of the in demand Atlus titles on the PS2 are still going through reprints.

Psychonauts rare? Under $10 at a Blockbuster near you.

Outrun 2002: Coast 2 Coast- just sold one here for $8 shipped because I found a CIB copy for $10 at BB.

This thread is just pure speculation right now... but there's nothing wrong with speculatin' is there?

TonyTheTiger
06-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Even without the reprints I think Atlus gets too much credit for putting out rare games. Maybe they did before but Atlus has grown fairly prominent lately justifying larger print runs. Add that together with Sony's minimum print run requirements and I think people expecting Atlus titles to become rare are in for a wake up call. The only games I could see from Atlus being relatively rare are ones that came out around now because at the tail end of the PS2's life I'd imagine print runs would be shorter all around. Even so, would something like Arcana Heart be rare? I'm sort of doubting it. Every store I go to has at least 3 copies. We're out of that bubble where anything with Atlus on it is an automatic rarity. Hell, I bet a good number of Atlus PS2 games end up not being very pricey either.

Deadman
06-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Even without the reprints I think Atlus gets too much credit for putting out rare games. Maybe they did before but Atlus has grown fairly prominent lately justifying larger print runs. Add that together with Sony's minimum print run requirements and I think people expecting Atlus titles to become rare are in for a wake up call. The only games I could see from Atlus being relatively rare are ones that came out around now because at the tail end of the PS2's life I'd imagine print runs would be shorter all around. Even so, would something like Arcana Heart be rare? I'm sort of doubting it. Every store I go to has at least 3 copies. We're out of that bubble where anything with Atlus on it is an automatic rarity. Hell, I bet a good number of Atlus PS2 games end up not being very pricey either.

Actually, I personally don't think ANY PS2 games are ever going to be rare. Why? Take a look at any used game store and you'll see 5 times the number of games over Xbox and Gamecube. That system was supported like crazy (and still is) and I think that game manufacturers just made more of each game because of the bazillion PS2 units out there! The PS2 outsold the Xbox by what, 3 times, 5 times, 10 times? Gimme Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for the Xbox over the PS2 for rarity any time.

Deadman
06-23-2008, 07:52 PM

Very helpful, thanks! Apparently I don't work the search engine correctly, as I just can't find them that quick.

You guys can lock this one if you want and take it to the old one.

Neil Koch
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
After having played it for about 10 minutes, it might be hard to find but it will NEVER be desirable. Ugh. Again, I don't know the origins of it, but it might as well say "Thanks for Test Driving a Volvo" on the front, as it is just an ad for their 2005 models.

What's funny is that it has terrible driving physics, but it's supposed to be an ad for their traction and driving control systems. With their control system "on", the car corners like it's on rails. You can take a 90 degree turn at just about full speed. Yeah, I'm sure it's just like the real thing....

I did a quick Google search and it was made as a promo item for Volvo dealers. As for the goofy driving physics, the game was developed by Climax, who did the Runabout games.

backguard
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
don't lock this thread --- those other threads are like 5 years old and really out of date.

to wit:

for this last generation, with few exceptions, rarity isn't based so much on quantity but on condition. sealed games are "rare" to the extent that most people ripped open the game and played it vs. the actual print run.

if there are any "rare" games, in terms of quantity, from this last generation, they are label variations, not certain titles.

ProgrammingAce
06-23-2008, 10:40 PM
There are several low print run PS2 games, the two i can think of off the top of my head:

Gundam Battle Assault 3 - GameStop didn't even have this title in their system. It was delayed for months and had a stealth release. There aren't any copies on ebay.

Red Star - Small initial print run. There was going to be a second print run, but i don't know if it ever happened.

There are some other rare titles that never really made it to retail too, like the original Acclaim version of Juiced. There are thousands of copies, but it never made it to stores.

The "Microsoft Store" copies of xbox games are going to be pretty damn hard to track down too (different covers).

If you want to go outside of the US, there are plenty of rare titles for all 3 systems:

PS2 - Japan - PlayStation 2000 festival games.
Xbox - NUDE Limited Edition

If you're looking for something "rare" to collect, there are plenty of oppertunities in the previous gen.

Deadman
06-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Alright. Tonight I headed out to do a little research and found a few interesting items at four local GameStops.

Items from the other "Rare Xbox" thread:

Air Force Delta Storm - found one tonight, listed at $19.99

Phantom Crash - found one for $2.99, but it was beat to crap with no manual. Torn, chewed, and more.. ugh...

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - found one for $9.99

Other interesting items that I found are:

Metal Dungeon by Xicat - perfect, complete with manual for $4.99. I've never seen this game before, so I grabbed it.

The Bible Game by Crave - I couldn't believe it! Never seen or heard of this before and the guys at the GameStop where I found it had just gotten it traded in today and said it was the first they'd seen since it's release 4 years ago. A very quirky game, so I had to grab it.

TheDomesticInstitution
06-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Alright. Tonight I headed out to do a little research and found a few interesting items at four local GameStops.

Items from the other "Rare Xbox" thread:

Air Force Delta Storm - found one tonight, listed at $19.99

Phantom Crash - found one for $2.99, but it was beat to crap with no manual. Torn, chewed, and more.. ugh...

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness - found one for $9.99

Other interesting items that I found are:

Metal Dungeon by Xicat - perfect, complete with manual for $4.99. I've never seen this game before, so I grabbed it.

The Bible Game by Crave - I couldn't believe it! Never seen or heard of this before and the guys at the GameStop where I found it had just gotten it traded in today and said it was the first they'd seen since it's release 4 years ago. A very quirky game, so I had to grab it.

As far as what you've mentioned, I'll comment on what I've seen. I've seen the bible game a just few times, but never thought to buy it. Castlevania I've seen quite a few times in FL and SC for $10-$15, and wouldn't consider it rare. I've seen Metal Dungeon once, and bought it only because I had never heard of it. It got pretty poor reviews.

EDIT: And as far as what ProgrammingAce mentioned below. I've seen Xyanide in SC and FL at Blockbusters for $6.99 multiple times in the past year.

ProgrammingAce
06-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Few more:

Xbox - Lotus Challenge (did this even see release?)

Xbox - Yourself Fitness - You can still find this in some stores, but it was a stunted print run due to a lawsuit.

Xbox - Xyanide - End of console game, small print run. Title is damn hard to read off the box...

There's another one, Carnival somthing or other... The box doesn't even pass microsoft's certification requirements. I'll have to look up the name of the game later, it's not even on Microsoft's release list.

DigitalSpace
06-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Few more:

Xbox - Lotus Challenge (did this even see release?)

Yes, and it was actually titled Motor Trend Lotus Challenge. It's a common sight among the budget Xbox titles, at least around here.

However, the game was later ported to the Gamecube, losing the Motor Trend license, and was only titled "Lotus Challenge." This version of the game can be pretty tough to track down.

Speaking of Gamecube racers, here's three more I hardly ever see in the wild - Rally Championship, F1 2002, and City Racer.

Richter Belmount
06-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Alot of the games mentioned in this thread are very common , especially freaky flyers theres a ass load in the bargin bin at my local circuit city and gamestop for 5 dollars a pop.

backguard
06-23-2008, 11:14 PM
pretty much everything listed in this thread is common. it is going to be hard not to be able to find a title from this last generation.

TonyTheTiger
06-23-2008, 11:31 PM
By most accounts, NCAA College Basketball 2k3 for the Gamecube is the rarest retail release out of the PS2/GCN/Xbox with only about 6,000 copies.

I think perhaps most rarities will come in the form of bonus giveaways or demo discs and that kind of stuff. The things that nobody really thinks much about until you learn years later that only 1,000 were ever printed.

backguard
06-23-2008, 11:42 PM
i still think that with this generation - if you've opened it you've killed whatever rarity it had. you now have a common game on your hands.

Deadman
06-23-2008, 11:56 PM
i still think that with this generation - if you've opened it you've killed whatever rarity it had. you now have a common game on your hands.

I have to say that this thread has already been very enlightening, along with the other thread that was referenced earlier. The games that one person considers to be rare seem to almost always be warming the shelves at another persons local shops. Xyanide was mentioned here but I see it at at least half of the GameStops that I shop at here and I even saw it twice tonight. Where I found the Bible Game and Volvo Drive for Life for the first time ever, others are probably sick of them clogging up the bargain bins where they are. It truly shows that rarity must be regional.

ubersaurus
06-24-2008, 12:05 AM
World Heroes Anthology may end up being uncommon, if not rare, due to the few shops that actually stock it.

Push Upstairs
06-24-2008, 02:44 AM
I've still never seen another Xbox copy of "Outrun: Coast 2 Coast" in my area.

CosmicMonkey
06-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Complete PlayStation2 Linux kit? Surely this will be much rarer than anything sold at retail?

TheDomesticInstitution
06-24-2008, 07:14 AM
The games that one person considers to be rare seem to almost always be warming the shelves at another persons local shops. Xyanide was mentioned here but I see it at at least half of the GameStops that I shop at here and I even saw it twice tonight. Where I found the Bible Game and Volvo Drive for Life for the first time ever, others are probably sick of them clogging up the bargain bins where they are. It truly shows that rarity must be regional.

That's exactly what I learned from the other threads. Just because they haven't been updated in a while doesn't mean there isn't a lot of good info there. I still see new xbox games all the time I didn't know existed. I've also browsed ebay heavily in the past for completed auctions- and while prices may not reflect rarity they do give an idea of the more popular or in demand titles. Ones I always look out for- and will pick up even if I already have a copy (and if the price is reasonable)...

XBOX
MvC2 (don't own and seen anywhere but GS for $60)
Sniper Elite (great game)
Jedi Knight
Jedi Academy
Stubbs the Zombie
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
Fatal Frame

I'm sure there are a few more- oh and there's still that Barbie Game too.

thetoxicone
06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
I'm sure there are a few more- oh and there's still that Barbie Game too.

I made a good 30 off that there Barbie game after I bought and resold one I found at goodwill. Even though I knew I would make money it was still rough getting those looks from the staff after telling them I want that Barbie game.

Ed Oscuro
06-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Air Force Delta Storm - definitely not rare. Two copies exist in this house!

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/volvo-drive-for-life/ <- cancelled? But OP says he has a copy...

TheDomesticInstitution
06-24-2008, 07:33 AM
I made a good 30 off that there Barbie game after I bought and resold one I found at goodwill. Even though I knew I would make money it was still rough getting those looks from the staff after telling them I want that Barbie game.

And if you say "It's a gift" no one still ever believes you.

snes_collector
06-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Gundam Battle Assault 3 - GameStop didn't even have this title in their system. It was delayed for months and had a stealth release. There aren't any copies on ebay.

I had know idea they even made this, how does it compare to the first 2?

As for GC, some of the hardness to come by are:

NCCA College Basketball 2K3( only 6,000 copies printed)
Bust-A-Move 3000( TRU exclusive)
Pokemon Box ( Pokemon store exclusive)
F1 2002 ( pretty early release, I've personally never saw a copy in a game store ever.)

A couple of the Disney Sports games are kinda hard to find aswell.

carlcarlson
06-24-2008, 08:26 AM
A couple years ago a guy I worked with was talking about a game for the Xbox that was only given to people who donated to a cancer research foundation. The game had you either running or flying (can't remember) around a surreal world and shooting cancerous cells. He couldn't remember the name of it but I found the foundation online that night. I never got around to donating though, so I didn't get the game. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

koster
06-24-2008, 03:10 PM
GameStop has Gundam Battle Assault 3 (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=36895) listed (under a slightly different title) but not currently available online (although local stores may have it in stock). Their $19.99 price sure beats this Ebay store listing (http://cgi.ebay.com/Battle-Assault-3-Featuring-Mobile-Suit-Gundam-SEED_W0QQitemZ180218221010QQihZ008QQcategoryZ13997 3QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1 638Q2em118Q2el1247) BIN price of $79.99

Red Star is currently available from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Xseed-Games-Red-Star/dp/B000HKMP1U) and Gamestop B&M stores (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=62217). And autographed copies (http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFrontProfiles/deluxesfitemdetail.aspx?sfid=81127&c=292767&i=232812450) of Red Star are still available from Archangel Studios.

Deadman
06-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Now I seem to have a quest. I went out again for a bit to more GameStops and found these (all Xbox):

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - packaging seemed like a Hollywood Video release or something and had no manual - yet still $59.99. Pass

House of the Dead III - packaging was hosed, manual was missing - still $14.99 pass

Syberia II - haven't seen this for a while - complete in MINT shape - $7.99

Red Ninja End of Honor - second one I've ever seen - complete and MINT - $4.99

Loons - First I've seen since it's release - complete, MINTY - $6.99

iron Phoenix - Another first in forever - complete and MINT - $9.99

Capcom vs. SNK 2 - Last of the good stuff - MINT and complete - $9.99

I picked up the last 5 on my list and took them to the front. The clerk commented how those had all just come in from a guy this weekend along with a bunch of others. Apparently the employees had grabbed a ton of his games due to the unbelievable condition they are all in. They look like they've never been played, the manuals are all untouched and the boxes are perfect. So, I bought them all knowing that these games in this condition may not come around all the time.

diskoboy
06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
No one has mentioned Steel Battalion (Xbox) yet.

Deadman
06-24-2008, 04:23 PM

I would, but I haven't seen one in a Looooooooooong time.

TheDomesticInstitution
06-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Yeah I put this one on my wish list at play in trade... 'cause the guy said it would be $70.

So a few weeks later I go in, and the same guy says to me... "Dude we have Steel Battalion in the back." First thing I thought was why didn't they call me, like they said they would. But then I asked him "how much?"

"$150" without Blinking.

Fuck that.

That said I'm on the lookout for the controller... because I was able to find the game complete for $4 at a pawn shop- in like new shape.

Deadman
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I forgot to mention that I saw Psychonauts, Stubbs the Zombie, Ninja Gaiden, Xyanide, Toe Jam and Earl III and a few other rare ones at a game shop, but they want a little more for theirs.

I grabbed the Psychonauts for myself and Stubbs was priced at $19.99. I already have a copy, so if anyone wants the Zombie for that price, I can get it for you just lmk.

diskoboy
06-24-2008, 07:56 PM
I would, but I haven't seen one in a Looooooooooong time.

Don't feel bad...

I've never seen it, period.
Even when the game was first released.

I've never seen a physical copy, in the wild - game or controller.

Vectorman0
06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Pokemon Box
The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2

Both not "games", very sought after, and I imagine had some of the lowest print runs for their respective systems.

Ed Oscuro
06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I forgot to mention that I saw Psychonauts, Stubbs the Zombie, Ninja Gaiden, Xyanide, Toe Jam and Earl III and a few other rare ones
Only one (or two?) of those are in any way rare.

And if you say "It's a gift" no one still ever believes you.
Breaks my heart. Whoever bought it: don't forget to put a doily underneath.

GM80
06-24-2008, 08:32 PM
For all the talk about NCAA Basketball 2K3's published GameCube numbers (5,900), one should note that same list puts NHL 2K3 GameCube at only 9,470. Still a very small number compared to most recent releases, and only marginally easier to find.

TonyTheTiger
06-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I think these days it's things like the odd bonus (ala Document of Metal Gear Solid 2) or the unusual circumstance causing a low print run (ala NCAA Basketball) that will top the lists. The traditional "big money rarities" like late gen RPGs and the like aren't likely to become the next Suikoden II or Panzer Dragoon Saga. If there were to be a mad rush for something like that then Games Quest Direct would probably step in with some reprints.

I think that rarities might still exist but to find them you'll have to look outside of the box because the trends set in previous generations probably ended by now.

jjgames
06-25-2008, 08:31 AM
I think these days it's things like the odd bonus (ala Document of Metal Gear Solid 2) or the unusual circumstance causing a low print run (ala NCAA Basketball) that will top the lists. The traditional "big money rarities" like late gen RPGs and the like aren't likely to become the next Suikoden II or Panzer Dragoon Saga. If there were to be a mad rush for something like that then Games Quest Direct would probably step in with some reprints.

I think that rarities might still exist but to find them you'll have to look outside of the box because the trends set in previous generations probably ended by now.

I think you have a good point about things being a bit different now with Game Quest Direct printing games that are really expensive. The reason RPG's are such a good bet is there is always a good demand for them. There are tons of other rare games for the old systems that aren't worth more than $5 because they are rare but nobody wants them either.

I don't know what the next rare games will be but I would still put my money on late generation RPG's. Things that sell really crappy initially but get a cult following in a few years. Something like Chaos Wars or Dokapon Kingdom.

Mayhem
06-25-2008, 08:36 AM
For all the talk about NCAA Basketball 2K3's published GameCube numbers (5,900), one should note that same list puts NHL 2K3 GameCube at only 9,470. Still a very small number compared to most recent releases, and only marginally easier to find.

Actually I can believe that, NHL 2K3 was one of the last titles I got for my complete set.

ProgrammingAce
06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
People using that 6,000 number for NCAA Basketball need to remember that's not the size of the print run. That was the number of copies sold during it's first calander year.

The game released on December 3rd, so it had less then a month to sell 6,000 units. It's not as rare as people think.

Games ship at about 2,200 to a skid. To think that any manufacturer would only make 2 or 3 skids worth of a game is insane. They made more, it just didn't sell very well. I would guess the total is somewhere closer to 20,000-30,000

TonyTheTiger
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Actually, I think the story goes that Sega decided to kill off it's sports line on the Gamecube cold turkey. NCAA Basketball happened to be in the middle of printing at the time so they stopped pressing the discs and sold the few copies they had (6000-ish).

Bojay1997
06-25-2008, 01:27 PM
I think you have a good point about things being a bit different now with Game Quest Direct printing games that are really expensive. The reason RPG's are such a good bet is there is always a good demand for them. There are tons of other rare games for the old systems that aren't worth more than $5 because they are rare but nobody wants them either.

I don't know what the next rare games will be but I would still put my money on late generation RPG's. Things that sell really crappy initially but get a cult following in a few years. Something like Chaos Wars or Dokapon Kingdom.

I think the whole key to RPGs having value at least in past generations has been that when you play an RPG, it literally sucks up 30-40 hours or more of your life. Other than a few on-line shooters, I don't know that I've ever spent that much time devoted to one particular game ever. It's that deep emotional connection that results in sealed Final Fantasy VIIs going for several times more than MSRP. I doubt that crappy RPGs or related games will maintain their value, particularly since lots of people buy every new Atlus game and keep it sealed in anticipation of it going up in value. It's like what happened with baseball cards and comics to some extent. The older stuff will maintain or even grow in value, but the newer stuff will probably be a lot less valuable, particularly if the underlying game was not so good.

snes_collector
06-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Do you have a link to the list? I remember seeing one list(probably the same one) that Puyo Pop Fever sold a really low amount of copies, about as low as NCAA 2K3.

Deadman
06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I forgot to mention that I saw Psychonauts, Stubbs the Zombie, Ninja Gaiden, Xyanide, Toe Jam and Earl III and a few other rare ones at a game shop, but they want a little more for theirs.

I grabbed the Psychonauts for myself and Stubbs was priced at $19.99. I already have a copy, so if anyone wants the Zombie for that price, I can get it for you just lmk.

So, I was going to back to that store today to debate buying Stubbs the Zombie for some kind of future trade bait, but decided to stop at my Circuit City on the way. On the shelf was a Stubbs the Zombie - mint and sealed marked at $49.99. I took it to the front and they price checked it for me at $8.96! Needless to say I never made it to the collector store....

ProgrammingAce
06-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Actually, I think the story goes that Sega decided to kill off it's sports line on the Gamecube cold turkey. NCAA Basketball happened to be in the middle of printing at the time so they stopped pressing the discs and sold the few copies they had (6000-ish).

A single production line in a game packaging plant can produce 100,000 units per day. They would have made 6,000 units in minutes.

The 6,000 figure is rubbish. Just look at how many people on DP have a copy.

Mercapto
06-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Test run they send out to stores while awaiting wether or not it would go into full production until they got the word to recall all copies ?
Wish I had one.

TonyTheTiger
06-25-2008, 06:46 PM
A single production line in a game packaging plant can produce 100,000 units per day. They would have made 6,000 units in minutes.

The 6,000 figure is rubbish. Just look at how many people on DP have a copy.

Maybe. But then where did the story come from and why the perceived difficulty to find the game? Obviously if there were 100,000 copies out there you'd see them all over Gamestop considering it's an old sports title. It's certainly harder to find if you compare it to similar titles like NFL 2k3 on the cube or the PS2/Xbox versions of NCAA.

It's also entirely possible that at the moment only people who'd hang out at a place like DP would be actively looking for a copy so each one that shows up "in the wild" gets picked up by somebody here or in a similar community. After all, a copy of NCAA could sit on the shelf for a year at a Gamestop before anyone picks it up. Who'd really care about the game? But after doing a quick Gamestop search, it seems there's only 1 copy in a 50 mile radius. Maybe that doesn't mean there are only 6,000 but compared to what Sega must have printed of NFL 2k3 it's definitely fewer.

Porksta
06-25-2008, 08:45 PM
The Guy Game comes to mind, as does first-run Kakuto Chojin (whatever it is).

Volvo Drive for Life was indeed a giveaway for test-driving a Volvo IIRC. I still have my sealed copy sitting on my shelf just incase the price skyrockets.

As for SB, makes me glad I bought a CIB one for $25, although no controller manual.

TonyTheTiger
06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
as does first-run Kakuto Chojin (whatever it is).

Once and for all, can someone confirm whether or not Kakuto Chojin had a second printing? I see it written everywhere that the "offensive material" was removed and the game was reissued after the recall but every single person who has the game (including me) says that the chanting is still there. What gives? Either they never released the game a second time or they did in such small quantities that the second printing would be the rarer version.

mnbren05
06-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Fatal Frame series, Silent Hill games, such will probably always hold a good value and be difficult to find. As for the Xbox I'd venture to say Roller Coaster Tycoon (which I hope they backwards compat. with the 360 so I can play it).

TonyTheTiger
06-26-2008, 02:17 AM
The thing is, there's always going to be a game that nobody has ever heard of that will some day turn out to be "omg rare!" I was just browsing Gamestop's website and has anyone ever heard of Ruff Trigger: The Vanocore Conspiracy on the PS2? Not saying it's rare just that I've never heard of it and I'm certain that 5 or 6 years from now, when the dust settles, we're going to be hearing about games that we never knew existed.

Parodius
06-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Lots of games that came in some sort of outer paper box will probably be hard to find in great condition as even sealed ones can easily get banged out of shape.

For example:
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (w. action figure)
Pro Stroke Golf (didn't it come with a putter or something)
Robotech Battlecry LE (w. T-shirt etc. - I have never seen one since release)

bcks007
06-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu (w. action figure)

I know there is different action figures that where made for the game.
They are Batman, Batgirl, Robin, and Nightwing. I've seen pictures of the Batman and Batgirl versions. I own the Robin version and I've seen sellers say there figure was the Nightwing version. If you check ign about this game, supposedly only 15,000 copy's of the Batman and Batgirl versions where made. I've never been able to find any info on the Robin, and Nightwing versions. Can't even find a sentence that they got released. If anybody knows more about these, i would love to hear it.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Futurama on PS2/XBOX

I know it's a bit more common on the XBOX, but both have recently seen a bump in value - likely due to the series tenacity in re-runs (it was on it's way off-the-air when the games were released) and recent direct to DVD movies.

mregashu
06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
As someone who actually bought NCAA 2K3 to play back when it came out, I can vouch for the fact that at the time of release, it was impossible to find, and the low print run number doesn't seem out of touch. I remember a GS employee at the time saying they only printed enough copies to essentially satisfy pre-orders, in which case the low print run makes total sense as I can't see more than 6,000 people pre-ordering. One time I wish I had pre-ordered, though I did end up getting it from eBay.

For the record, it's probably the best basketball sim on the Gamecube too.

Push Upstairs
06-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Futurama on PS2/XBOX

I know it's a bit more common on the XBOX, but both have recently seen a bump in value - likely due to the series tenacity in re-runs (it was on it's way off-the-air when the games were released) and recent direct to DVD movies.

Might go down in value since all the game cut scenes are turned into a "Lost Episode" on the "Beast with a Billion Backs" DVD.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Might go down in value since all the game cut scenes are turned into a "Lost Episode" on the "Beast with a Billion Backs" DVD.

Maybe.

The game itself is actually a decent platformer from that era, and the involvement of the show's creators is evident the whole way through.

Push Upstairs
06-26-2008, 10:57 PM
No, the game is a mediocre platformer that happens to have input from the show's creators. Some questionable hit detection and an unhelpful camera suck a lot of fun away.

And this is from someone who adores everything "Futurama".

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-27-2008, 01:57 AM
No, the game is a mediocre platformer that happens to have input from the show's creators. Some questionable hit detection and an unhelpful camera suck a lot of fun away.

And this is from someone who adores everything "Futurama".

*sigh* You know, to some "medicore" and "decent" are all but the same.

BUT I'm really not going to mince words.

I personally enjoyed it on XBOX (I can't think of a single other platformer on that console that I played through) despite any of it's technical shortcomings, and that's all I can say about it.

Push Upstairs
06-27-2008, 03:04 AM
It might be because I played all three "TY: The Tasmanian Tiger" games before I ever played "Futurama". TY had tighter control and a much better camera.

bcks007
06-27-2008, 06:21 AM
I enjoyed it too for the ps2.

Anybody know anything about what i posted up there, perhaps with some more info...

jjgames
06-27-2008, 11:08 AM
I think the whole key to RPGs having value at least in past generations has been that when you play an RPG, it literally sucks up 30-40 hours or more of your life. Other than a few on-line shooters, I don't know that I've ever spent that much time devoted to one particular game ever. It's that deep emotional connection that results in sealed Final Fantasy VIIs going for several times more than MSRP. I doubt that crappy RPGs or related games will maintain their value, particularly since lots of people buy every new Atlus game and keep it sealed in anticipation of it going up in value. It's like what happened with baseball cards and comics to some extent. The older stuff will maintain or even grow in value, but the newer stuff will probably be a lot less valuable, particularly if the underlying game was not so good.

I think your right the time invested in an RPG makes people emotionally attached to them so they don't want to sell it. Plus I think RPG's with good stories are as good today as they were 10 years ago and I assume they will still be good in 10 more years. You can't say the same thing for other genre's like FPS or Sports for example.

I agree that lots of games people buy because they think it will be rare probably won't be because other people are buying it. But there are tons of games that people just don't hear about and don't hit the mainstream, that are still good games and I think those are the ones that will be expensive.

DJ Daishi
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Gitaroo-man has already had a few re-prints, so I'm not sure if its still considered rare.

lendelin
07-01-2008, 10:33 PM
My best guess of a relatively hard to get and in demand game (=pricey) would be the special edition of dot hack//GU//Rebirth (PS2) with the figurine in the special packaging.

The special packaging was an exclusive of GS/EB Games, and for a niche game like this that is also a RPG it might be that the cardboard box got a production number of around 10 000.

ebay offerings go for around $100 to $150, and there are fewer and fewer ebay sales in the last two years.

josekortez
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
My best guess of a relatively hard to get and in demand game (=pricey) would be the special edition of dot hack//GU//Rebirth (PS2) with the figurine in the special packaging.

The special packaging was an exclusive of GS/EB Games, and for a niche game like this that is also a RPG it might be that the cardboard box got a production number of around 10 000.

ebay offerings go for around $100 to $150, and there are fewer and fewer ebay sales in the last two years.

I saw one of those at a Gamestop store today that had been "gutted" even worse than Gamestop usually does. The figure and game had been removed, and the plastic window where the figure would go had been punched out leaving a huge unsightly hole.

So much for a collector's item. Scratch that production number off the list!

Deadman
07-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Someone mentioned Outlaw Golf: Holiday Golf as a rare title, and the rarity database puts it at an 8 but doesn't mention the reason it is so rare. Was it an exclusive? Limited distribution? Mailaway offer? Or just simply a very low production run?

Thanks

PapaStu
07-13-2008, 11:57 AM
8 is far too high for Outlaw Golf: Hoilday....

However Outlaw Golf: Holiday Edition was a TRU Exclusive, and it was the same game as Outlaw Golf: 9 holes of Golf, which was a Blockbuster Exclusive. 9 holes of golf with an xmas theme.

TonyTheTiger
07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Would an exclusive collector's package of Mortal Kombat: Deception never released at retail (I think it's only developers and close friends who got it) qualify as something that would be included?

bcks007
07-13-2008, 04:46 PM
I would like to see that.^

TheRealist50
07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Didn't want to make another topic so I figured this would be the best place to put this.

There is this shop near my place that has Guilty Gear Accent Core and a couple .hack games, would it be safe to pick some of these up? I think the price ranges from 24-34 (34 is very generous I don't think its that high)

What I hate is if i want some rare or in demand games I have to find them in my city and possibly have to over pay, I don't have a credit card and I don't feel comfortable putting my bank account info on the internet.

Also sellers on eBay don't really take money orders anymore...at least not the sellers I ran into.

megasdkirby
07-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Even though I don't think it's rare, one game that was seen only once was Obscure for Xbox.

Never have I seen that game until recently. So I picked it up. But after all these years, I never even heard of it until recently...

Deadman
07-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Didn't want to make another topic so I figured this would be the best place to put this.

There is this shop near my place that has Guilty Gear Accent Core and a couple .hack games, would it be safe to pick some of these up? I think the price ranges from 24-34 (34 is very generous I don't think its that high)

What I hate is if i want some rare or in demand games I have to find them in my city and possibly have to over pay, I don't have a credit card and I don't feel comfortable putting my bank account info on the internet.

Also sellers on eBay don't really take money orders anymore...at least not the sellers I ran into.

Not sure of the pricing on those, as there are far more knowledgable folk here for PS pricing. But as far as putting your bank account info on the 'net - it's already there. If someone wants your info, they're going to get it one way or another. And the days of the money order being accepted for payment pretty much ended about 6 years ago, once Paypal really took over...

Deadman
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Even though I don't think it's rare, one game that was seen only once was Obscure for Xbox.

Never have I seen that game until recently. So I picked it up. But after all these years, I never even heard of it until recently...

I don't know of that one, so I guess I'll put it on my list of games to look for. I did however find OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast today at Gamestop, complete and in nice shape for $8.99. I've been looking for quite a while for that one.

megasdkirby
07-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Man, I am so after that game. I've only ever found OutRun 2 for Xbox. It was complete and in great condition...but I've never even seen Coast 2 Coast.

I think I have to do a road trip...