PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on these games? PS3/360

monkeychemist
06-26-2008, 06:30 AM
In my anticipation of buying a PS3 I have been looking for games that I would enjoy. I know in the title I also put 360 because some games are on both platforms. I have a few that I am sure I will get such as MGS4, GTA4, GT5 but there are others that I just don't know. I would very much appreciate your opinions on these games:

Group 1 - Action Games

Army of Two - seems like a fun game but only good with a second person (and that will be rare)
Heavenly Sword - I am extremely interested by this one due to being a sucker for Jade Empire. I know it's not an RPG but looks like really fun action
Devil May Cry 4 - I've heard this is a good game but have never tried the series
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - Has awesome reviews, but I think I played one of those before and it was too complicated to get into.

Group 2 - War Shooters (I've never played war games before and wanted to start)

Battlefield: Bad Company - This seems to be really good in that genre
Call of Duty 4 - My little brother this game is the ultimate of all video game
F.E.A.R. - Seems like a lot of fun, Resident Evilish but with better controls

Group 3 - Strategy (I love strategy games!)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - This seems more than the usual War shooter. Is it? If so, is it fun?
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War - This game has terrible reviews...however it seems like one of the only strategy games for the PS3. Has anyone tried? Is it really that bad or enjoyable?

Thank you for your input! If there are some games you think I missed do not hesitate to let me know, I'll look them up.

le geek
06-26-2008, 08:21 AM
I know they are not on your list, but if I had a PS3 I would get Uncharted and Motorstorm. Played them at a buddy's house and had a blast.

Cheers,
Ben

monkeychemist
06-26-2008, 08:47 AM
I know they are not on your list, but if I had a PS3 I would get Uncharted and Motorstorm. Played them at a buddy's house and had a blast.

Cheers,
Ben

Uncharted looks good. Thanks for the tip. I am more of a fan of that type of game than an all out FPS

Oobgarm
06-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Army of Two - seems like a fun game but only good with a second person (and that will be rare) (I agree)
Heavenly Sword - More along the lines of a God of War game.
Devil May Cry 4 - Certainly a good way to be introduced to the series, as they're all pretty similar and fun.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - It's quite difficult.

Battlefield: Bad Company - Heard it's good, but I'm not huge on FPS.
Call of Duty 4 - Actually really fun.
F.E.A.R. - Couldn't tell you, honestly.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - Maybe a bit of squad tactics, but it's more of an action shooter.
Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War - This is basically Dynasty Warriors in new clothes and a new setting. I think it looks like a good time, myself.

modest9797
06-26-2008, 09:56 AM
In my opinion, you should get heavenly sword, FEAR, and GRAW2.

I also liked Devil May Cry 4.

mnbren05
06-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Army of Two - Not as fun as it looks. Great graphics, interesting gameplay, but falls short in fun, plus using two players is only so-so
Battlefield: Bad Company - I really want to try this one, the demo was really good
Call of Duty 4 - Played this for 2 months on Live single player missions are nowhere as good as the online play
F.E.A.R. - Bland, rag doll physics, and the controls feel loose and sloppy. I really did not like this game at all.

You may also like Frontlines: Fuel of War, it is not the best game ever but the story is good and its a good weekend rental that you can play through in a day or two

Neil Koch
06-26-2008, 10:28 AM
For a "war shooter" game, I'd recommend the Rainbow Six Vegas games.

If you're into FPS games, The Orange Box is a tremendous deal. I got it for $30 at Target.

Most of those games in your list have demos up on PSN...

Nature Boy
06-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Of those I've only played Call of Duty 4, and I love the game. It's as real a war game as I've ever played (mind you I've never played any of it's competition). Online is great too - the more you play, the more you level up and can therefore stock your guy with different and better weapons. In some ways I enjoy playing it online more than I do Halo 3.

Cantaloup
06-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Since you like strategy games, be sure to check out Civilization Revolution when it comes out in a couple of weeks. Of the games you mentioned I'd definitely recommend Call of Duty 4.

monkeychemist
06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Thank you for all the advice guys. I am looking forward to getting my PS3. Although I will wait until after E3 since it is in 2 weeks just in case there is a new model or price drop.

acey
06-26-2008, 11:31 AM
I'd definitely recommend Call of Duty 4. I hadn't played a FPS or online FPS since Counterstrike in 2000 but got hooked again with CoD4. Haven't really touched the single player mode much but online is fantastic. It's great in short doses, too - only 15-20 minutes per match online so you can play a couple rounds in a sitting and not lose the whole night (unless you want to!).

Motorstorm I picked up cheap but haven't played much...seemed pretty fun, though. Highly recommend getting Super Stardust HD from the PSN Store online - really fun arcade shooter in full 1080p.

For strategy I'd recommend PixelJunk Monsters...it's a tower defense game that's quite fun and can even be played co-op with 2 players. Try the Civilization Revolution demo for yourself but to me it seemed like a great conversion from the PC versions...smaller size map, fewer details but a nice, quick pace and the fun bits are all still there.

monkeychemist
06-26-2008, 11:41 AM
I see a lot of praise for CoD4. My only concern is that I had played a few Medal of Honor games and just couldn't get into them. You could barely see who's shooting at you and whatnot...is it like those or more polished?

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I would avoid Heavenly Sword, unless you can find it for well under $20.

I played through it and while it did have a few shining moments of graphical beauty and innovative gameplay, overall it was a game that suffered under it's own bi-polar disorder.

It wanted to simultaneously be exactly like and nothing like God of War, and it failed on both fronts.

It was just similar enough to not be as good as God of War, and just different enough to feel TOO similar to God of War.

acey
06-26-2008, 11:56 AM
I see a lot of praise for CoD4. My only concern is that I had played a few Medal of Honor games and just couldn't get into them. You could barely see who's shooting at you and whatnot...is it like those or more polished?

I haven't played any of the Medal of Honor games but in CoD4 I'm able to see enemies as well as I could hope - only exception being when I'm sniped from far out (I don't do so well on really open maps!). If when you point your sight at someone it shows their name in green, they are friendly. If it doesn't show their name then they're an enemy. I love the team aspect - even if you're a beginner at least you have some people working with you. A big key to improving in CoD4 is learning the maps which takes some play time - eventually you'll know them all pretty well.

PapaStu
06-26-2008, 11:59 AM
In regards to crossplatformers (which almost all your titles are) you've got to ask yourself how you plan on playing the game. Many are online capable, so you've got to look at the online services and where you'd get the best experience. Factor in Achievement points and all of the fun in earning those.

Group one: is all crossplatformer save for Ninja Gaiden Sigma... which is Just Ninja Gaiden Black juiced up a little more. Why worry about it, when you can worry about Ninja Gaiden 2? Army of Two though can be done single player, leads itself best to a two player environment, due to a stupidish co-op AI. Heavenly Sword is a decent hack n slash... but its short. Like 6 or 7 hours short.

Group two: In regards to your 'war shooters' only CoD4 falls into that bill. Battlefield is all about controlling a map and working through areas in mission format. CoD4 is just playing levels and being engrossed in the story. F.E.A.R. is not a 'war shooter' in the slightest. Think The Matrix + FPS game. Its got the creepy factor, but its all about using your powers to slow time ect to frag the scary paranormal bad guys. Of the group CoD4 is the winner. Its an amazing Story driven game and its online is TOP NOTCH.

Group three:
GRAW2 isn't really strategy.... its a futuristic war shooter. It does focus a little more on moving your teams through, but you can (with some skill) still run and gun the levels on your own for the most part. Bladestorm is like a bastardized version of Kingdom Under Fire. I've not played it, but from what i've read it takes its Dynasty Warriors roots and screws em up in a bad strategyish format.

gum_drops
06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
I also recommend Orange Box, especially if you have not played the original HL2 yet. Between the original and the two episodes you will be in for 25 hours of action. The graphics are subpar compared to newer games, and the ps3 port is inferior to the 360 port, but at $30 its worth it for sure.

Sudo
06-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Heavenly Sword: Great game with beautiful graphics, fun combat and stunning motion capture work. The only caveat is that it's rather short (6 hours or so).

Devil May Cry 4: Oozes style, with fast paced, addictive combat. The graphics are great and the play control is tight. Some downsides include a laughable storyline and having to fight most bosses 2-3 times each.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma: Improved version of Ninja Gaiden Black, with some more things added. It has the best combat out of any action game IMO, the only thing I didn't like was the large amount of backtracking. Some people think it's too difficult, but I'd disagree.

Call of Duty 4: One of the best single player campaigns I've ever played in an FPS, though it is rather short. I can't comment on the multiplayer as I only rented the game for single player and returned it after beating it.

unwinddesign
06-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Call of Duty 4's online play is great, but the single player is rather mediocre, as with all the CoD games. Not quite sure why everyone loves the series' missions so much, but they really are just lame. One scripted event after another...stupidly accurate, cheap AI (on veteran -- on lower difficulties, the AI is retarded) and the same bland objectives from CoD2 to CoD4. Not that great. Your mileage may vary. Online is fantastic, though.

exit
06-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Orange Box is the way to go if you want the best bang for your buck, Half-Life 2 is easily the best FPS I've played, Team Fortress is fun and Portal alone is worth the purchase.

If you want a horror themed FPS then Condemned 2 is the way to go, it relies less on shooting and more on brawling. So if you've ever wanted to just grab something off the ground and beat the shit out of enemies, then you'll have fun with this one.

I enjoyed COD4's storyline, but not so much the online mode. It's not that it's bad, it's that I completely suck and find no fun out of being sniped all match.

I've played Army of Two maybe twice, it had an interesting concept, but I very rarely have a second person sitting around. I would also stay away from Motorstorm, I got it with my 80 gig and found it to be extremely unbalanced and very unforgiving.

monkeychemist
06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I enjoyed COD4's storyline, but not so much the online mode. It's not that it's bad, it's that I completely suck and find no fun out of being sniped all match.

me too, that's why I shy away from FPS usually because for every hour that I can spend getting better millions of people have 10-15 hours to dedicate to kicking my noob butt

diskoboy
06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Army of Two - Haven't played
Heavenly Sword - It's okay...
Devil May Cry 4 - Better than 2, not as good as 1 & 3.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - I own every modern version of Ninja Gaiden, available on both Xbox and PS3, if that says anything.... (Ninja Gaiden is in my all time top-10 faves... Acually, it's number 3. Behind Jet Grind Radio and the original Pac-Man)
Battlefield BC - Haven't played. Looks fun...
CoD4 - A must buy.
F.E.A.R. - I wasn't too impressed. I got bored, halfway through it. Never finished it...
G.R.A.W. 2 - IMO, a very overrated franchise.
Bladestorm - I've never even heard of this title, to be honest...