PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Price Drop starting July 6th

GrandAmChandler
06-26-2008, 04:48 PM
$299 for the Pro model. Unknown about other models.

http://kotaku.com/5020052/retailer-ad-shows-xbox-360-price-drop-hits-before-e3

-GAC-

Sudo
06-26-2008, 05:30 PM
They should've dropped it to $249 if they really wanted to make an impact on sales. A $50 price drop when there are no big new games out or soon to be released isn't really going to motivate perspective buyers to go and pick one up, IMO.

megasdkirby
06-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Super interesting!

If the RROD is fixed, I will definetly pick one up!

RyanMurf
06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
A $50 price drop when there are no big new games out or soon to be released isn't really going to motivate perspective buyers to go and pick one up, IMO.

UMmMmMmM....
Gears of War 2- probably one of the most anticipated games on the xbox 360.
Madden 09- I dont need to explain.
Guitar hero Aerosmith
Unreal Tournament III
Soul Calibur IV
Mercenaries 2
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
World in Conflict: Soviet Assault

Thats just naming a few. So i think that the timing is perfect.

Sudo
06-26-2008, 06:23 PM
UMmMmMmM....
Guitar hero Aerosmith
Unreal Tournament III
Soul Calibur IV
Mercenaries 2

Gears is the only exclusive game on that list, and it's not coming out until November.

swlovinist
06-26-2008, 06:36 PM
$50 is better than nothing. $299 is a 100 difference than Sonys PS3. Now if Sony can drop their system, lets get a console price war going!

murdoc rose
06-26-2008, 07:15 PM
thats what we need a price war

Mercapto
06-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Rather see them invest in their #2 market and drop European game prices. Still paying 50% more per game and with big delays for some games...but then, most people import games anyway... :D

unwinddesign
06-26-2008, 08:05 PM
They should've dropped it to $249 if they really wanted to make an impact on sales. A $50 price drop when there are no big new games out or soon to be released isn't really going to motivate perspective buyers to go and pick one up, IMO.

GTA 4?
Ninja Gaiden II?
Mass Effect?
Bioshock?
Civilization Revolution?
Plus they are releasing a new Gears of War set with all the extra maps for $40 on July 1.

Summer months are typically slow for gaming companies; they love to load all the good releases in at the Christmas season, and we generally get a lot of movie tie in games/rather random assorted bits and bobs when the weather heats up. I think this is targeted to stimulate sales of existing, just released titles, and perhaps sell some additional copies of older games that are still exclusive to the 360 (remember, people still want to play Bioshock, ME, Gears etc. -- and they can now for like $30 - $40 a game). Remember, there are a ton of people who want to play GTA 4, but think that the price is a bit hard to swallow; this price drop will definitely spur sales of that game, plus its new episode which releases in August. Plus, with more "casual"/"different" games being released during the summer -- again, the movie games (casual) and Civ Revolution (new market -- draw in some PC gamers, maybe) -- it makes sense to try to pick up some sales when the competition isn't releasing much good stuff.

I mean, they dropped it by about 14%...that's not too bad. $250 would be a magic number, but I don't think they're desperate for market share. That would seem like a Dreamcast type move...the 360 is selling just fine without the price drop, although naturally the Wii is, err, wiing on it in sales. The arcade pack will probably be about $250, which would put it in competition with the Wii. I think it's a good move for Microsoft, and really puts them in a nice market segment -- close to the Wii, and away from the PS3 (but similar power). Sony may have to counter.

gepeto
06-26-2008, 08:44 PM
I just saw a commercial with the 360 and gta4 for 279.99 great deal. Not sure of the model.

rkotm
06-26-2008, 09:22 PM
cool, i picked one up last year, the core model for 299. glad i took it back. it'll be probably 279 or 269 used like the core, and the core will probably be 250 used. I wonder if the 30 gig hard drive by itself price will lower (for arcade pack users.) i'll definitely get one by the end of the year or early next year.

smokehouse
06-26-2008, 10:32 PM
I'd get one but personally I'm too afraid of it crashing...I could get it fixed under warranty but what happens when the warranty runs out?

Poofta!
06-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I'd get one but personally I'm too afraid of it crashing...I could get it fixed under warranty but what happens when the warranty runs out?

by that time you wouldve probably already gotten a permanently fixed model. the 360 has 3 years RRoD warranty. also, most/all new 360 are pretty good w/ the lack of RRoD though.

dao2
06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
by that time you wouldve probably already gotten a permanently fixed model. the 360 has 3 years RRoD warranty. also, most/all new 360 are pretty good w/ the lack of RRoD though.

yeah the craze around it has definitely died down and the number of rrods seems to have gone down, coincidentally they stopped a loose power cord from turning on the red lights :P

edit: i wish they'd start packing in hdmi cables though :|

RyanMurf
06-26-2008, 11:38 PM

Gears is the only exclusive game on that list, and it's not coming out until November.

O sorry I didnt see the word exclusive in your original post :). Nah i think its perfect timing in my opinion just the right time.

evil_genius
06-26-2008, 11:51 PM
UT3 and Soul Calibur aren't selling consoles.

Kitsune Sniper
06-27-2008, 12:11 AM

Soul Calibur will sell some consoles, at least to the Star Wars fanboys.

RyanMurf
06-27-2008, 12:23 AM

Maybe not to you but for someone who likes the games and has been wanting the console they might go the extra foot and get the system to play the game and most likely get other games too. Thats like saying people buy an xbox to play halo and just halo.

kaedesdisciple
06-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Maybe not to you but for someone who likes the games and has been wanting the console they might go the extra foot and get the system to play the game and most likely get other games too. Thats like saying people buy an xbox to play halo and just halo.

Use me as a prime example for the PS3. For as many great games as there are on the PS3 that I would like to play, I will not be sold on one until they release Tekken 6, can tell me that it's online and works well. Until then, I'll wait, the system will be there when I get to it.

evil_genius
06-27-2008, 01:28 PM

I am sure some people will buy a 360 just for Soul Calibur but you're not going to see sales increase because of it. The number of people out there buying a 360 to play that game is about six. The price drop I'm sure will impact sales. Soul Calibur is not going to move consoles the way Halo did, or even GTA for that matter. That's all I was saying.

Overbite
06-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Shit, I just bought a 360 2 weeks ago :(

Overbite
06-27-2008, 03:55 PM
you disagree about everything

EX-Soldier
06-28-2008, 01:12 AM
UMmMmMmM....
Guitar hero Aerosmith
Unreal Tournament III
Soul Calibur IV
Mercenaries 2

with the exception of gears, none of those games are exclusive, the cost conscience consumer could just as easily get a ps3 for roughly the same price when the fact that there are no hidden fees ala xbox live are factored in, add to that the 100 dollare gift cards at walmart with a ps3 purchase & suddenly a 360 aint looking so pretty =)

smork
06-28-2008, 02:49 AM
with the exception of gears, none of those games are exclusive, the cost conscience consumer could just as easily get a ps3 for roughly the same price when the fact that there are no hidden fees ala xbox live are factored in, add to that the 100 dollare gift cards at walmart with a ps3 purchase & suddenly a 360 aint looking so pretty =)

...except nobody likes PSN, and there are already tons of 360 exclusives. Live is cheap and really good.

G-Boobie
06-28-2008, 02:56 AM
...except nobody likes PSN, and there are already tons of 360 exclusives. Live is cheap and really good.

Quoted for truth. The 360 is MUCH cheaper than the PS3 at the moment, and for anyone who just wants a next gen system and isn't contaminated with Fanboy-itis, the 360 is a better deal.

retrogarden
06-28-2008, 04:13 AM
Any shouts on UK price drops?

s1lence
06-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Why is it when ever there is a pricedrop thread it becomes a debate of what system is better?? They both have plus and minus sides we all get it. The lower price means that more people have a chance to get one if they don't have one/ or they want one.

And yes, I own two Playstation 3's so I'm not just a 360 fan.

CelticJobber
06-28-2008, 07:04 PM

I love PSN. Speak for yourself...

unwinddesign
06-29-2008, 03:21 AM
Why is it when ever there is a pricedrop thread it becomes a debate of what system is better?? They both have plus and minus sides we all get it. The lower price means that more people have a chance to get one if they don't have one/ or they want one.

And yes, I own two Playstation 3's so I'm not just a 360 fan.

I think that when anyone whips out the "free online play" card, they're going to get a bunch of rhetoric from the other side telling them that Live is good. Those two other systems have their perks, but Live is one of the main selling points of the 360...and it's good. Really good.

That aside, though, the 360 is pretty much the cheapest system on the market for good games...most of the Wii's top shelf AAA titles still sell for $50...you can get tons of stuff at retail for like $30 on the 360 that is top quality, and if you're willing to delve into eBay, we're talking like $10 - $25 for some really good games.

MeTmKnice
06-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Quoted for truth. The 360 is MUCH cheaper than the PS3 at the moment, and for anyone who just wants a next gen system and isn't contaminated with Fanboy-itis, the 360 is a better deal.

I know this has been discussed on many occasions, but to do ALMOST (keyword) everything that the PS3 does, it costs more.
360+wireless adapter+XBL = just as much as a PS3, I mean add up the cost of XBL every year you have it.. it adds up. On top of that the newer, longer, hi-res games have to use multi disc.

And what it comes down to is personal preference. For example, there is only one game, maybe two that I want for the 360 which doesnt make it worth it for me to get one.

Dastardly Dylan
06-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Fantastic! If any of you went to the June 2008 NAVA, my friend was selling a brand new X360 Console for only $150 ! That's an amazing deal if you ask me.

Wraith Storm
06-30-2008, 04:41 AM
DAMNIT! I told myself I would not buy another game system after the last generation. Partially because I have so many games for my current systems that I still havent beat and because my friends have the newer systems so I can play them at their house if I feel the need.

The Xbox 360 is the only system since Dreamcast that actually has a variety of games that I think look interesting. My PS2 collection consists of like 90% RPGs. But the 360 has all kinds of games in different generas that intrigue me. Honestly i'm getting kind of sick of playing RPG after RPG.

I also vowed to never support Sony again after the BULL SHIT they pulled with Lik Sang and it doesnt look like its going to be hard to do either. EVERY single game that I have seen for PS3 that interested me is also on 360.

These reasons coupled with the 360's price drop, i believe, has sold me.

Trumpman
07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Well, this stinks. It doesn't seem to have happened. $300 was the magic price point for me with the 360. Do you guys think this will happen later this summer, or what?

XYXZYZ
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm still waiting for the models with the new GPU hardware, I don't think I'll even use it much until Street Fighter IV comes out.

Oobgarm
07-09-2008, 05:32 AM
Looks like this price drop is a temporary thing to clear out inventory of the 20GB systems and make room for the 60GB ones, which should be in stores late this month.

Got a confirmation from a MS rep yesterday, who is 99% accurate with his info (from my personal expreience).

Lothars
07-09-2008, 05:51 AM

It's not much cheaper and it's nothing to do with fanboy-itis, I definitely think that the 360 is a decent deal but it's not a better deal overall especially for paying for online especially after 2.4, it's not as much of a difference as it was.

Especially if it's like Oobgarm is saying if it's a temporary price drop than that's just a stupid move by MS.

Princess-Isabela
07-10-2008, 01:10 AM

yeah, right.
360 exclusives ~
too human, banjo threeie, viva pinata 2, gears of war, left 4 dead - some of the finest games are coming up in the next few months(some next month!).
you snooze, you loose ^_~
I wonder what kind of a gamer still holds on 360 purchase(I know there are many but it just unbelievable).

Icarus Moonsight
07-10-2008, 01:19 AM
I'm holding out for a while yet. Though I am fairly sure I'll be picking up a 360 first and taking in a PS3 much latter.

c0ldb33r
07-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Looks like this price drop is a temporary thing to clear out inventory of the 20GB systems and make room for the 60GB ones, which should be in stores late this month.
I agree completely.

Is there any word of the price for the 60GB HDD's as a standalone purchase? The price of the 120 is outrageous, but I'm hoping they'll give us a break on the 60.

Oobgarm
07-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I agree completely.

Is there any word of the price for the 60GB HDD's as a standalone purchase? The price of the 120 is outrageous, but I'm hoping they'll give us a break on the 60.

I betcha it's $349.99, just like the other premium systems.

I've heard rumblings of a drop in HDD prices towards the end of the year, but nothing concrete yet.

Oobgarm
07-14-2008, 05:30 AM

Got a confirmation from a MS rep yesterday, who is 99% accurate with his info (from my personal expreience).

I betcha it's $349.99, just like the other premium systems.

I KNEW IT.:vamp::vamp:

c0ldb33r
07-14-2008, 07:13 AM
I KNEW IT.:vamp::vamp:
No sorry I meant the 60 GB hard drive alone, no 360, just the hard drive.

Oobgarm
07-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Heh. I'd figure it to end up being $99.99, just like the 20GB, which should drop to clear out.

wufners
08-22-2008, 01:17 PM
A Seattle radio station (KIRO) was reporting this morning that Microsoft may soon be dropping the price of the Xbox 360 Arcade down to $200. Or was it $220? I was half asleep on the bus when I heard. I think it was $200, but whatever it was, they made a big deal out of it being a good chunk of change cheaper than the Wii. And they didn't specify it as the Xbox 360 Arcade, but as the "entry level Xbox 360."

They didn't site any sources or anything or say it was definite, just that Microsoft "may" be doing it. I don't remember hearing a timetable, but it sounded like it would happen this year--presumably for the holidays.

SegaAges
08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I can vouch that SOME games that YOU WOULD NEVER EXPECT to sell systems actually do. The reason why I wanted a 360? Sonic the Hedgehog. Yes, I read the reviews. Yes, I had played the demo. My friend who had a 360 already had the game. I fell in love.

I don't care what people say, it is my opinion, it is still my all time favorite game on 360, until Sonic Unleashed comes out.

I know it was also out on ps3, but this game actually made me choose 360 over ps3. It was my goal system though too. By that, I did something where I told myself if I dropped 30 pounds (went from 280 to 250) I would get that system and game, and well, I own the system and game.

I had other motives, but that asside, my point is that you would really be surprised what games would motivate people to buy a system, even if they are cross-platform

josekortez
08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
The reason why I wanted a 360? Sonic the Hedgehog. Yes, I read the reviews. Yes, I had played the demo. My friend who had a 360 already had the game. I fell in love.

I don't care what people say, it is my opinion, it is still my all time favorite game on 360, until Sonic Unleashed comes out.

I know it was also out on ps3, but this game actually made me choose 360 over ps3.

I remember reading in Play magazine that the 360 version of Sonic the Hedgehog was actually better than the PS3 version, although the game itself wasn't that great.

Scott45
08-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm still holding out on the 360....
The only game I reeeeeeeeeally want so far is Ace Combat 6

so I'll wait 'til the price drops on that game first.

If the urge grows I just pop in AC The Belkan Wars in the old PS2 until it goes away.

Slate
08-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Heh. I'd figure it to end up being $99.99, just like the 20GB, which should drop to clear out.

According to a gamestop manager, The 20 gig hard drive by itself has been discontinued for months now.