PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania...The Fighting Game...

TonyTheTiger
06-27-2008, 09:28 PM
http://www.jeux-france.com/news28056_castlevania-wii-premieres-images.html

Castlevania is one of my favorite series of all time. And I don't quite mind the concept of a Castlevania fighting game. But...this just looks...troublesome. With the exception of maybe Simon, the character designs couldn't look any less like the characters they're trying to portray. I fear this is a Wii spinoff that will live up to the standards of Soulcalibur Legends.

walrusmonger
06-27-2008, 09:37 PM
If this hits the US it looks like it'll make me buy Wii number 3 :( Castlevania games are system sellers for me, even if I have owned and sold the system two times already.

It'll probably suck, but come on... it's not a castletroid, I'm sick of those already.

GnawRadar
06-27-2008, 09:40 PM
I too am a fan of Castlevania and while this doesn't look that amazingly appealing you never know how it could turn out, it could be crazy fun!

Press_Start
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM
What a real downer is Castlevania finally returns to the home console that trampoline its success and the brilliant minds at Konami honor this return with a fighting game?!

It only proves that 3rd party developers still fish in Nintendo's water for the hopes of catching small fish when they easily get catfish or tuna. I'm still waiting for the day some 3rd-party striking big on the Wii and blow everyone's perspectives out of the water.

The 1 2 P
06-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I saw a screen shot of this game on another web site and I have to say that it looks shitty at best. All these branching out of genres usually don't work. So I have some good news and some bad news for you boys and girls. The bad news is that this game will most likely suck and belittle the classic serious alittle bit in the same way that Soul Calibur Legends for the Wii belittled that great series. The good news is: not only do you get another home console version of Castlevania, but in 5-10 years you will have one hell of a collectors item:)

josekortez
06-27-2008, 10:15 PM
This isn't Simon Belmont's first fighting game. Ever hear of a little import GameCube and PS2 game called Dream Mix: TV World Fighters?

TonyTheTiger
06-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Yes. I've always wanted to play it (for the Smash knockoff that it is). Where else are you going to see Simon Belmont fighting Optimus Prime?

tonyvortex
06-27-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes. I've always wanted to play it (for the Smash knockoff that it is). Where else are you going to see Simon Belmont fighting Optimus Prime?

simply awful control ,but playing barbie against solid snake or optimus prime is worth five minutes of torture.

Icarus Moonsight
06-27-2008, 11:56 PM

OMG release that one! That sounds ubergeeky trippin' balls awesome. :D

I am a HUGE Castlevania fan and have been since the series started and I find myself a little non-plussed. Thank god for Order of the Ecclesia. ^^;

If it turns out good, you best believe, I'm all over it. *crosses fingers* Pleaseohpleaseohpleasepleaseplease...

G-Boobie
06-28-2008, 01:43 AM
It's doomed to failure.

Dammit, IGA.

TonyTheTiger
06-28-2008, 01:46 AM
The good news is: not only do you get another home console version of Castlevania, but in 5-10 years you will have one hell of a collectors item:)

What do you mean?

As for what's bothering me here, four things bug me in particular about this game. Some more than others. In no particular order:

1) I realize the Wii isn't the most powerful piece of hardware but these visuals look like something on the PSP. They could easily do better.

2) Everybody looks weird. If I weren't outright told that that was Alucard I'd have no idea it wasn't Generic Bishonen Swordsman #153.

3) Konami hasn't made a decent fighter since TMNT: Tournament Fighters. I have no idea what to expect.

4) The Wii is the last place I'd expect to successfully play a fighting game. There better be classic controller support.

Like I said, a Castlevania fighting game doesn't give me pause in principle. I think it's actually a pretty cool idea. But from what I'm seeing this actually seems like a weird fan game or something. It doesn't feel like it's being taken seriously. My Alucard create-a-character in Soul Calibur III looks more authentic.

I know it sounds like I'm just saying "It looks ugly so it'll be bad" but that's not really what I mean. It doesn't just look bad, it looks wrong. Like there's something about it rubbing me the wrong way. Kinda like when you get that gut feeling you shouldn't walk down the dark alley.

G-Boobie
06-28-2008, 03:06 AM
It's doomed to failure.

Dammit, IGA.

I stand by my earlier statement.

The 1 2 P
06-28-2008, 04:02 AM
What do you mean?

This one's going to go straight to the bargin bin quicker that Dragon Ball GT on PS1. And then, several years and dozens of DS games later, this version of Castlevania will triple in price:cool:

retrogarden
06-28-2008, 04:13 AM
I saw a preview of this, and I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this. It just seems too much of pain.

I'm a big beat-em-up fan, but not really been a huge castlevania fan. I do think though, unless it's truly incredible, you'll get nobody but die-hard CV fans buying it.

ShinobiMan
06-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Not to keen on the idea of a castlevania fighting game. There is to much of a chance that they might screw this up. However, I hope they prove me wrong!

PapaStu
06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
This one's going to go straight to the bargin bin quicker that Dragon Ball GT on PS1. And then, several years and dozens of DS games later, this version of Castlevania will triple in price:cool:

Hate to break it to you, but DragonBall GT didn't go straight to the dump bin. The original launch of +/- 10,000 units sold out when it released. DragonBall Ultimate Battle 22 sold enough to go GH in the last year of the PlayStation's life. Yes the re-release of DragonBall GT Final Bout did go to dump bins.... because it was released in September 04, when the system was dead. Only one 'new' game came out after that, and that was FIFA, PlayStation's last game. People just didn't care about the rerelease game so late in the PlayStation's life because they had already moved on to PS2.

If this releases it'll sell just like the PS2 and N64 Castlevania's did...alright. None of those were groundbreaking incredibly loved games. None are so in demand now that they can't be found relatively easily today either.

Kitsune Sniper
06-28-2008, 01:06 PM

It looks way too much like KOF Maximum Impact, and it's really bothering the hell outta me.

Aussie2B
06-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised anyone has any optimism for this. o_O It looks absolutely horrible. And maybe it's just me, but I think the Simon redesign is the worst of all; he looks like freakin' goth Tidus!

G-Boobie
06-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised anyone has any optimism for this. o_O It looks absolutely horrible. And maybe it's just me, but I think the Simon redesign is the worst of all; he looks like freakin' goth Tidus!

Yeah, that's his 'Castlevania Chronicles' redesign from Ayame Kojima. I'm not a huge fan of the style. but it beats the toonami fox box anime bullshit from Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin.

Aussie2B
06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
This artist changed it up a fair bit from Chronicles, though. While I wasn't thrilled with transvestite Simon, at least his outfit back then looked roughly like traditional Belmont clothing, minus the silly feathery stuff. Now he's just got goofy shorts and a tiny jacket thing going on, with big trendy boots. He looks more like a reject from The Bouncer than a Castlevania character, but I guess that's what you get when you hire the guy that does Death Note. :/ Which I can guarantee is the game's biggest selling point in Japan. This is totally otaku fodder.

Icarus Moonsight
06-28-2008, 04:21 PM
It's doomed to failure.

Dammit, IGA.

What happened? When pressed about Castlevania on the Wii Iga gave the distinct impression that it was a complete no go as far as he was concerned. Is this a different Konami team or something? WTF? :confused:

RegSNES
06-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I love me some 'vania mania, but a fighting game? Castlevania and fighting game do not belong in the same sentence.

G-Boobie
06-28-2008, 04:46 PM
What happened? When pressed about Castlevania on the Wii Iga gave the distinct impression that it was a complete no go as far as he was concerned. Is this a different Konami team or something? WTF? :confused:

I think that Iga is scared as hell to make a new console 3D Castlevania. The last two didn't exactly set the world on fire. I also think he's scared to make a new 2D Castlevania for home consoles; the portable versions sell OK, but there's been a lot of grumbling about how tired the formula is getting. That's all conjecture and guess-work, but that's my theory.

I think this is desperation and raw fumbling. Iga is totally at the helm of this one, too; we can't even blame it on Konami HQ.

It's doomed to failure.

Dammit, IGA.

Kid Fenris
06-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Man, they're totally ignoring the best version of Simon Belmont.

http://www.kidfenris.com/belmont.jpg

The 1 2 P
06-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Hate to break it to you, but DragonBall GT didn't go straight to the dump bin. The original launch of +/- 10,000 units sold out when it released. DragonBall Ultimate Battle 22 sold enough to go GH in the last year of the PlayStation's life. Yes the re-release of DragonBall GT Final Bout did go to dump bins.... because it was released in September 04, when the system was dead. Only one 'new' game came out after that, and that was FIFA, PlayStation's last game. People just didn't care about the rerelease game so late in the PlayStation's life because they had already moved on to PS2.

Papastu, theres no reason to get all technical and over-analytical on me, lol. Plus, no where in your analysis did you mention that Dragon Ball GT was in fact in bargin bins for 1-2 years before it got hot. That was my basic analogy. I know the printing was very small and that only helped fuel the demand for it. But what I was basically saying is that I doubt this game will sell out upon release. I'm sure it will sell lousy(as far as not being profitable as far as initial sales numbers go), get heavily discounted within the first year and then make it to bargin bins. Don't belive me? Go to your local Wal-Mart and check out Soul Calibur Legends for Wii. It's currently priced at $19.99 and still hasn't been selling well(atleast not at my 2 local ones). But you were right about the initial limited print run of Dragon Ball GT selling out. However, many of those copies started to get traded in fairly early.

koster
06-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Not interested in a Castlevania fighting game. A Castlevania Tactics game, on the other hand... :D

Icarus Moonsight
06-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I think that Iga is scared as hell to make a new console 3D Castlevania. The last two didn't exactly set the world on fire. I also think he's scared to make a new 2D Castlevania for home consoles; the portable versions sell OK, but there's been a lot of grumbling about how tired the formula is getting. That's all conjecture and guess-work, but that's my theory.

I think this is desperation and raw fumbling. Iga is totally at the helm of this one, too; we can't even blame it on Konami HQ.

It's doomed to failure.

Dammit, IGA.

If that be true than Iga needs to pass the series on to more capable hands. The series really benefited from his fresh view. He's done as much as he can do. Curse of Darkness wasn't so bad at least.

Agreed, Dammit IGA! LOL

Castlevania Tactics? Oh my. That does sound utterly fan-tastic! With breakable walls and hidden areas on maps. :D The world could stand for some exposure from that angle. The more laid back and cerebral pace. My only worry would be the dialog and voice overs for a story heavy game as a StratRPG. Castlevania isn't anywhere near the top in those categories, historically. Quite the opposite in a few cases. ;)

mailman187666
06-30-2008, 09:15 AM
if they include more than just CHOOSE CHARACTER>FIGHT>WIN>NEXT MATCH fighting game, I bet it will be better. Just something new would be fun like being able to do some for of platforming story mode with each character in thier own setting. I'd buy it if it had something like that. Or even if you could upgrade or level up you characters while playing some kind of 1P mode. Either way, I'll probably buy it because I love castlevania.

kainemaxwell
06-30-2008, 07:04 PM
It's an intresting concept that could have promise.

The 1 2 P
06-30-2008, 07:09 PM

I'm sure they said the same thing for the Superman N64 game before it came outLOL

ThoughtBomb
06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I've had it with pieces of things that make no sense...one of my biggest hopes is to one day see a be all end all fighting game with pretty much every single popular (and obscure) video game character out there. Games like Smash Bros., Marvel vs., X-Men vs., Capcom vs., that's as far as it'll probably ever go, but it'd be awesome to see it...almost like MUGEN but official and well put together. As far as a Castlevania fighting game is concerned, they should have put Simon in Brawl. I had hoped since Snake was in the game, we'd hopefully see other Konami characters. I'm talking Silent Hill, Yu-Gi-Oh, Contra, Castlevania, I know I'm forgetting a whole bunch of others...and since Sonic was in it, how about other Sega characters? I don't think I need to go any further. I still can't believe they didn't at least have any other MGS or Sonic characters, but who knows, guess we'll have to wait another couple of years. Sorry bout the rant, but bottom line, I'm not particularly interested in just a Castlevania fighting game. It'll probably be fun for a taste & some nice stuff for fans, but nothing more.

TonyTheTiger
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Before they start putting Simon Belmont or Mega Man in Smash Bros. the game needs Captain friggin' N. After he's in it then we'll talk about the rest of the N-team.

Aussie2B
06-30-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd wager that the people working at Hal Laboratories producing the Smash Bros. games have never heard of Captain N.

TonyTheTiger
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Yeah, well...about time they learned, dammit!

E Nice
07-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Kinda reminds me of Golden Axe The Duel.

Rob2600
07-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Man, they're totally ignoring the best version of Simon Belmont.

http://www.kidfenris.com/belmont.jpg

Hilarious! :) He was the best character on the show.

Icarus Moonsight
07-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Looking at the art featured in the 20th Ann. of NP I immediately thought, "Simon and Maria look like Light and Misa Misa from Death Note... and Alucard looks like Near, all grown up and trans gendered!?!" Then I read that the artist of Death Note worked on the character designs... So there it is. Alucard, since SotN, has always looked a little androgynous, in a noble-esque way. But c'mon now...

The article gave me a sliver of hope that this won't wind up a pile of forgettable trash. Just a sliver though. It still seems like a complete cop out on Iga's part to me.

G-Boobie
07-04-2008, 03:35 AM
Looking at the art featured in the 20th Ann. of NP I immediately thought, "Simon and Maria look like Light and Misa Misa from Death Note... and Alucard looks like Near, all grown up and trans gendered!?!" Then I read that the artist of Death Note worked on the character designs... So there it is. Alucard, since SotN, has always looked a little androgynous, in a noble-esque way. But c'mon now...

The article gave me a sliver of hope that this won't wind up a pile of forgettable trash. Just a sliver though. It still seems like a complete cop out on Iga's part to me.

Word, Master Moonsight.

I'm torn now. Do I buy this probable piece of crap in order to hopefully fund a real Castlevania game in the future, but in doing so incorrectly condition Konami into thinking that what every franchise needs is a fighting game, leading inexorably towards Silent Hill Vs. SNK Vs. World Heroes?

Or do I not buy it because it sucks and have a hole in my collection?

Hmm.......

TonyTheTiger
07-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Word, Master Moonsight.

I'm torn now. Do I buy this probable piece of crap in order to hopefully fund a real Castlevania game in the future, but in doing so incorrectly condition Konami into thinking that what every franchise needs is a fighting game, leading inexorably towards Silent Hill Vs. SNK Vs. World Heroes?

Or do I not buy it because it sucks and have a hole in my collection?

Hmm.......

Buy it second hand. That's probably what I'll do after a few price drops.

RegSNES
07-04-2008, 01:22 PM
If nothing else, I think it looks nice. I'm all for branching out but I can't help but cringe when I think of the concept of Castlevania as a fighting game. Heck, Mega Man would be better suited for a fighting game than the Belmonts and their friends and family.

The 1 2 P
07-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Speaking of popular series that were made into fighting games, did anyone else play Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi on the Playstation? Better yet, did anyone else like it? Sure the controls were off(one of the biggest parts of any fighting game) but I enjoyed the fan service. Plus, I got to throw my lightsaber at people across the arena:)

Icarus Moonsight
07-04-2008, 06:30 PM
If you call a bullet to the brain 'fan service'... OK... :o

The 1 2 P
07-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm glad you liked it to Icarus, lol.

Mr Mort
07-05-2008, 12:52 PM
This game looks dreadful... don't we have enough fighting games already? How come we need to take a good existing franchise and transform it into something it wasn't originally designed for?

Agreed. This is game is going to be full of epic fail.
It's one thing to take a series in a new direction, and then there's stupidity like this.
This is screaming of desperation, and I for one will not buy this and support the bastardization of one of gaming's most honoured franchises.

What's next? A Ninja Gaiden racing game? A Tetris beat-'em-up? A GTA educational game? A Super Mario flight simulator?

Please Konami, stop fucking with a great franchise and either do nothing with (i.e. no more games for now) or do it justice by releasing a true game in the series' continuity.

Garry Silljo
07-05-2008, 01:18 PM
If nothing else, I think it looks nice. I'm all for branching out but I can't help but cringe when I think of the concept of Castlevania as a fighting game. Heck, Mega Man would be better suited for a fighting game than the Belmonts and their friends and family.

He already had one, you can play it in arcades and unlock it in the Mega Man Anniversary collection.

E Nice
07-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Simon Belmont was a fighting character, sorta, in that game DreamMix TV World Fighters. He got to go up against Solid Snake, Bomberman, Optimus Prime and other Konami, Hudson Soft and Takara characters.

Lucifersam1
07-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I think it definitely looks interesting. This could open the door to other types of CV games (rpgs, etc). Let's hope the music is awesome remixes of classics! Also, hopefully there is online play. I think I will buy it when it comes out, why not? $50 is not a lot of money, and it could be a lot of fun..

DigitalSpace
07-12-2008, 06:01 PM
So, how long until we get a Castlevania kart racing game?

(And even though it had Dracula, Konami Krazy Racers on the GBA doesn't count.)

G-Boobie
07-12-2008, 06:58 PM
So, how long until we get a Castlevania kart racing game?

(And even though it had Dracula, Konami Krazy Racers on the GBA doesn't count.)

Considering that Pyramid Head is a player character in the new Track and Field game, any minute now.

Seriously. Pyramid Head in Track and Field is about as appropriate as Darth Vader in SoulCalibur.

.... Shit.

Cmosfm
07-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Not interested in a Castlevania fighting game. A Castlevania Tactics game, on the other hand... :D

I love this logic, everyone seems to have it. Any veering from the traditional formula of a long running franchise is a sin and it is doomed to failure...

...unless I personally think it is a good idea.

not meaning to rag on you personally koster, it's just the mentality that most people seem to have and your post seemed to suit my case more than others. If that game isn't your cup of tea, don't buy it, because it's not aimed at you anyway. The new DS game is more than likely what you're wanting, so buy that, and ignore this one. Jeez, one day you'll realize how much you can accomplish in life if you stop bitching online about things that aren't even aimed at you.

This game is for people who like Castlevania and happen to think that the characters would make for a good fighting game. If that's not you, then leave.

And complaining about their CLOTHES?! I mean c'mon! Life is just too short.

Icarus Moonsight
07-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Considering that Pyramid Head is a player character in the new Track and Field game, any minute now.

Seriously. Pyramid Head in Track and Field is about as appropriate as Darth Vader in SoulCalibur.

.... Shit.

:above me:

I think Simon Belmont is in Track and Field too. Thread tie-in! Oh my. O_O

G-Boobie
07-13-2008, 03:21 AM
I love this logic, everyone seems to have it. Any veering from the traditional formula of a long running franchise is a sin and it is doomed to failure...

...unless I personally think it is a good idea. [...] If that game isn't your cup of tea, don't buy it, because it's not aimed at you anyway. The new DS game is more than likely what you're wanting, so buy that, and ignore this one. Jeez, one day you'll realize how much you can accomplish in life if you stop bitching online about things that aren't even aimed at you.

This game is for people who like Castlevania and happen to think that the characters would make for a good fighting game. If that's not you, then leave.

And complaining about their CLOTHES?! I mean c'mon! Life is just too short.

I understand you're personal angst in this regard, but allow me to explain why many of us are so annoyed and worried about it.

Castlevania is a series that lives very close to the edge. Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin sold alright... But not great, like the license used to. It's not a Halo, GTA, or MGS that's guaranteed a million or more in sales. One serious misstep and the series is run into the ground, and maybe we don't have even the DS games anymore.

I understand and even appreciate that Konami is taking a chance on something different with the Castlevania license here, but it has to be GOOD, and they couldn't have picked a more complex and rarified field to venture into than a 3D fighter. Even Project Soul and AM2 have missteps developing a fair, fun and balanced 3D fighter; it's hard to think that the team that produced Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness is going to equal even the worst those two have to offer.

If the upcoming fighting game is anything less than great, then it's leaning on it's license to sell to the fanboys and the fanboys only. That worries me, because if Konami learns that the only Castlevania games worth making and selling are portable metroidvania games, then the series is effectively dead. That would make me sad.

Christ, the only weirder title they could have announced would have been a Castlevania flight Sim. It's such a crazy idea I don't even have a smart ass name for it...

The 1 2 P
07-14-2008, 02:17 AM
One serious misstep and the series is run into the ground, and maybe we don't have even the DS games anymore.

That misstep happened on the N64....twice. Trust me, I think this is a stupid idea too, but regardless of how good or bad it turns out--the Castlevania series will live on forever, especially since Dracula doesn't seem to know how to stay dead. I mean, at the end of each game there should be a screen that pops up and says: "You have put Dracula asleep...until he wakes up for the next game":p