PDA

View Full Version : Wii System Buzzing

Tony Lama
06-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Please forgive me if this topic had already been covered. I haven't been contributing for a while. But here goes:

Hello all! Just wanted to throw this question out to all you gamers. I have a 1st generation Wii console. I got it the day it came out. Until recently, my system has been very silent when in use. The only noise I could faintly hear was the "whirr"of the fan. But I just started noticing now that when I play a game disc (and only when I use a game disc, not virtual console games) my system makes a slight buzzing noise very similar to an electric razor. It does not affect game play or loading and everything works fine but this noise is something I havenít heard before. I donít think this is the fan. I think it comes from the spinning of the disc.

So my question(s) is this:
1. Has anyone experienced this before on their Wii consoles?
2. Do you think itís something that I should get fixed?

Note: Iíve never dropped, modded, or mis-used my console in any way. And I keep it in the stand in vertical position.

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

exit
06-28-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm not a Wii owner or anything, but does this happen with every game, or does it only happen with specific games? Some games may work the Wii harder than others (that's what she said!) and thus the system making more noises than usual.

If that's not the case, then I'll leave it to the experts to answer this one.

Kyle15
06-28-2008, 09:43 AM
This happens to me as well, but only when I play certain games.
(big ones like Smash Brothers come to mind)

This also occurs with any game after I've been playing a long time, but this does not happen often.
I assume this noise is just the Wii working harder as you say, different games may command different spin/read rates.

My console is 1st generation as well, and has been holding up fine since then.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. ;)
(unless you start getting disc-read problems, that is)

robotriot
06-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I've experienced the exact same thing with Smash Bros which I bought yesterday. I've also got a launch console, must be game-specific.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Please forgive me if this topic had already been covered. I haven't been contributing for a while. But here goes:

Hello all! Just wanted to throw this question out to all you gamers. I have a 1st generation Wii console. I got it the day it came out. Until recently, my system has been very silent when in use. The only noise I could faintly hear was the "whirr"of the fan. But I just started noticing now that when I play a game disc (and only when I use a game disc, not virtual console games) my system makes a slight buzzing noise very similar to an electric razor. It does not affect game play or loading and everything works fine but this noise is something I havenít heard before. I donít think this is the fan. I think it comes from the spinning of the disc.

So my question(s) is this:
1. Has anyone experienced this before on their Wii consoles?
2. Do you think itís something that I should get fixed?

Note: Iíve never dropped, modded, or mis-used my console in any way. And I keep it in the stand in vertical position.

Thanks, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a launch Wii, this happens to me ONLY when I play Mario Kart, sometimes to the point of a "grinding" spin down post game (exiting back to the Wii menu).

This was also happening with my 360, but the solution was to open it up and clean the dust off the disc spindle.

I opened up my Wii and cleaned the spindle ... and that didn't help at all. I'm assuming that most launch Wii's are on their way to motor failure. I'm just hoping that Nintendo won't have to swap the main board on mine when repair time comes because I do NOT want to have to re-make all my Miis and re-friend code everybody on my list (Nintendo can re-assign game purchases, but Mii/Wii creation association and friend lists all stay locked into the previous Wii system)

dao2
06-28-2008, 11:40 AM
If I'm not mistaken SSBB is a double layer disc and that might be why your Wii is having troubles, I am unsure of Mario Kart but I'm going to assume that's double as well ;p

Tony Lama
06-28-2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you gentelmen for responding to my question. I have tried the following games on my Wii and have experienced the same buzzing effect with each:
SUPER SMASH BROS. BRAWL
WII FIT
MARIO KART WII
CASTLE OF SHIKIGAMI 3
DANCING WITH THE STARS
WII SPORTS
THE MONKEY KING: THE LEGEND BEGINS

I doubt that the dual layer discs are causing my problem.

I did however receive the most plausible answer from a gentlemen on another forum by the name of "J-Man". Let me know what you guys think.

Here is his response:

J-Man wrote:

What you all are experiencing is "Loose Casing".

The Wii currently has two versions. They look indentical, similar to the Playstation 2ís three versions (model numbers 77000; the fat one, 11000; the first skinny one whoís disc reader burns out easily, and 33000; the better skinny one.)

The first Wii had difficultly playing the port of "The Legend of Zelda; Twilight Princess", but this could be fixed by a minor software upgrade. However, the manifold that holds the disc reader in place wasnít very secure, so in time, the screws ní glue come undone and the manifold vibrates, causing that buzzing sound. It isnít harmful to the system or games, itís just a tad annoying.

To prevent that problem from re-occuring, Nintendo made a few minor alterations to the manifold, along with pre-loading the new software for Zelda and other games.

Due to lack of funds at system launch, I ended up with the second version of the Wii (thankfully), so I never encountered that problem myself, but my friend Chris, who bought his ON LAUNCH DAY, did get the buzzing sound.

The íbuzzing soundí you are encountering happens to all version one systems after about three months of use - but it varries.

Smoking around the system speeds this up, as cigarette smoke dries out the rubber components in the interior of the console - a death sentance for ANY disc operated system, actually, and the cause of 75% of the XBox 360ís "Red Circle of Death" problem.

The only way to fix this error is to contact Nintendo and ship out your Wii. If youíre still on Warrenty, you will be sent a model 2 for nothing more than the shipping cost.

Of course, youíll want to back up ALL of your save data to an SD Card before sending in the system, as you will lose your original Hard Drive. If you write a letter explaining how many system-exclusive downloads you have, theyíll even credit your new system with enough Wii Points to re-purchase everything - Nintendo is VERY customer friendly that way.

I hope this helps. -J-Man

Emuaust
06-28-2008, 04:33 PM
and the cause of 75% of the XBox 360ís "Red Circle of Death" problem.

I hope this helps. -J-Man

Can you please point me in the direction of proof on this?

Leo_A
06-28-2008, 04:43 PM
That explanation sounds like a figment of his imagination.

G-Boobie
06-28-2008, 05:05 PM
That explanation sounds like a figment of his imagination.

It is. The RRoD is a problem with a poorly designed GPU, coupled with crappy thermal paste, added to a hardware design with no ventilation or heat sinks, mixed with a brace that warps.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Ring_of_Death#General_hardware_failure) is some documentation. Here (http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/129866.asp) is some more.

Tony, the real problem with your Wii is that it's not actually a Wii; it's a nest of bees. Spraying it with BugDeath should stop the problem.

Nophix
06-28-2008, 11:46 PM
I had the same issue with my Wii, shortly before it bit the dust. It was a launch day unit, and was played a LOT, although we have a clean home and are non-smokers.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-29-2008, 08:28 PM
PS2 had WAY more than three hardware revisions.

Tony Lama
06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Well I called Nintendo today to find out what it would cost to silence my system of the buzzing noise. The representative to which I spoke (Samantha) said since my warranty had expired it would cost $75 and it would take approximately two weeks for repair (and I would receieve a 1 year warranty). She also said that if
it is not affecting game play I should just keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse ... THEN send it in. She asked me if I could hear the buzzing noise above my television noise and I replied, "Not for most games but that it was noticable during Wii Fit which is usually a quiet game." She got a kick out of that answer. But again recommended I wait and see if it gets worse. She also told me that she thinks this type of repair should not affect my virtual games, game saves, or my friend code roster.

The buzzing is annoying. And believe it or not, I'll cough up 75 bones plus bear the 2 week stretch for a quiet system. I guess I'll wait and see. Some responses I've received on other forums say the buzzing may lead to disc drive failure in the future. And that would really suck!

I also found out many Wii users have posted videos on YouTube asking for help with similar "buzzing" problems. It must be a first generation quirk.

Tony Lama
07-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Well I finally did it. I decided to send my Wii console back to Nintendo for repair. I dropped it off at Fed Ex yesterday morning. It was HEARTBREAKING! I now sit in my living room staring at the empty shelf where my Wii once sat. I feel bad because I had a 46 day streak of yoga and strength training on WII FIT. The computer was congratulating me on my dedication and I've achieved bodybuilder status on most of the exercises. Now my track record is broken and there will be a major gap on my training calendar! Grrr! I have other consoles I can play (Xbox 360, PS2, DS, etc.) but I realize now I did most of my gaming on the Wii. It really is my favorite console. I'm crossing my fingers that my Wii console comes back safe and sound with all problems solved. (still crossing fingers)

josekortez
07-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Well I finally did it. I decided to send my Wii console back to Nintendo for repair. I dropped it off at Fed Ex yesterday morning. It was HEARTBREAKING! I now sit in my living room staring at the empty shelf where my Wii once sat. I feel bad because I had a 46 day streak of yoga and strength training on WII FIT. The computer was congratulating me on my dedication and I've achieved bodybuilder status on most of the exercises. Now my track record is broken and there will be a major gap on my training calendar! Grrr! I have other consoles I can play (Xbox 360, PS2, DS, etc.) but I realize now I did most of my gaming on the Wii. It really is my favorite console. I'm crossing my fingers that my Wii console comes back safe and sound with all problems solved. (still crossing fingers)

Don't feel bad, Tony. I think my Wii died tonight after 15 or so minutes of Castle Shikigami III and a 5 minute return visit to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which left good ol' Mario falling into a pit of spikes and rebounding over and over for what seemed like eternity. The classic controller and remote wouldn't stop it, the system wouldn't restart or rebooted, so I had to turn it off.

Apparently, there's a persistent issue with the dual-layer disc, but you'd think it would at least boot up with another game in it, but it hasn't. I'll try again tomorrow before I call Nintendo...

Tony Lama
07-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Don't feel bad, Tony. I think Wii died tonight after 15 or so minutes of Castle Shikigami III and a 5 minute return visit to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which left good ol' Mario falling into a pit of spikes and rebounding over and over for what seemed like eternity. The classic controller and remote wouldn't stop it, the system wouldn't restart or rebooted, so I had to turn it off.

Apparently, there's a persistent issue with the dual-layer disc, but you'd think it would at least boot up with another game in it, but it hasn't. I'll try again tomorrow before I call Nintendo...

Thanks for the kind words. Hope your system starts working in the morning. But if you must send it back to Nintendo ... welcome to the club. :-/ BTW, Isn't CASTLE OF SHIKIGAMI 3 awesome! :-D

josekortez
07-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words. Hope your system starts working in the morning. But if you must send it back to Nintendo ... welcome to the club. :-/ BTW, Isn't CASTLE OF SHIKIGAMI 3 awesome! :-D

It was an awesome game, and now it's totally unusable! And just as I was starting to like the system.

I got up this morning and turned the system on. I can see the green light is on, but it won't go to the Channels screen, so it my Wii is now a little white brick.

It's a shame when I'm longing to rev up the 360 because my Wii died. I never thought I'd say that phrase. Nintendo, say it ain't so!

Tony Lama
07-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Well I got my Wii console back from Nintendo yesterday. And I just finished playing a round of Mario Kart on it. The buzzing has been silenced! And my memory was left untouched. I'm glad for that. It was a bit agonizing waiting for my system to be repaired (almost 2 weeks) but I'm glad I had it done. Now hopefully my Wii console will stay quiet and I'll never be annoyed by that dreadful "buzzing" noise! Game on!

josekortez
07-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Glad to hear it, Tony. As soon as I can scrape the money together, I'll get my Wii fixed.

Now, I need to have my car repaired, so I assume I'll get my Wii repaired, oh, sometime in early 2010, which is the next time I'll have the money!