PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Loses in Court to Anascape

Matt-El
06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/court-upholds-21-million-ruling-against-nintendo/?biz=1

Don't know if anyone remembers this, but there was a dispute against Nintendo about their controllers possibly have been using technology developed by Anascape. Apparently they won.

Any thoughts?

megasdkirby
06-29-2008, 07:47 AM
I wonder if Nintendo will go back to court?

punkoffgirl
06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Any thoughts?

Wow that sucks!

I'd kinda like more information, though.. What patents does this company have that were infringed?

violentsnake
06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
What might end up costing even more is now they might have to come to some sort of licensing agreement with Anascape for whatever Nintendo was using. I really wonder what it is they got sued for though.

swlovinist
06-29-2008, 09:10 AM
21 million is chump change for Nintendo. Not a big deal, they will work it out. These types of things happen all the time to large companies with deep pocketbooks. Heck, look how many times Microsoft has been sued and lost...they just keep on trucking.

Matt-El
06-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Wow that sucks!

I'd kinda like more information, though.. What patents does this company have that were infringed?

Apparently about a dozen, including such implements as Analog sticks, Rumble.

They also sued Microsoft, but not sure of the progress in that. And yeah, I agree. It doesn't seem like much money, but for any sort of thing like this to slip by Nintendo's lawyers is significant.

http://kotaku.com/tag/anascape/

This article is a little more defining of the events. Though they won a while ago, this is sort of a Denying of reduction of cost. Which I guess is the bigger thing. Nintendo could easily just write the check, but oh well. Just trying to save every little penny on it.

Darren870
06-29-2008, 09:44 AM
There just patent whores thats all.
Nintendo probably will just drag it out and get it reduced which they rightfully deserve to do.

Porksta
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Man, Sony loses the rumble case, now Nintendo loses this. I guess Microsoft is the only fair company left!

Matt-El
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
There just patent whores thats all.
Nintendo probably will just drag it out and get it reduced which they rightfully deserve to do.

Actually, It IS over. And their Appeal WAS denied.

jcalder8
06-29-2008, 09:49 AM
I guess Microsoft is the only fair company left!
Nope, they lost too but then they bought part of the company.

Frankie_Says_Relax
06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Man, Sony loses the rumble case, now Nintendo loses this. I guess Microsoft is the only fair company left!

I believe that Microsoft simply settled out of court with Immersion over controller rumble when all that was going down.

Porksta
06-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Yes, but they didn't lose the case. They weren't arrogant enough to think they could win.

Kitsune Sniper
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Is this one of those companies that files patents with ambiguous-sounding descriptions and then pounces on companies when they develop the same thing?

s1lence
06-29-2008, 11:24 AM
I love stuff like this. Some company make a generic patent years ago refering a function in a handheld device and then a "Real" company makes something with said patent infringement and poof lawsuit.

I guess this brings the question as to how many "companies" have patents on controllers or controller function.

Darren870
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Actually, It IS over. And their Appeal WAS denied.

Doesn't really mean much.

Exxon is still appealing the $5 billion dollar oil spill settlement from almost 20 years ago. It was brought all the way down to $500 million just recently by the Supreme Court. They still have yet to pay any money to those affected....

Nintendo can still appeal the U.S. District Court's ruling.

Darren870
06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
Is this one of those companies that files patents with ambiguous-sounding descriptions and then pounces on companies when they develop the same thing?

Sounds like it...

Icarus Moonsight
06-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Iwata says; "Give us a few moments... we are printing your mon... oh, DONE!"

darkhades
06-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Pfffft, 21 million? Nintendo will make that back in the next 5 seconds.

Sothy
07-01-2008, 12:04 AM
I should patent a device that uses electricity and visually entertains people with interactive controls. Then sue the shit outta everyone.

Icarus Moonsight
07-01-2008, 12:20 AM
You and Ralph Baer. ;)

zektor
07-01-2008, 12:38 AM
I should patent a device that uses electricity and visually entertains people with interactive controls. Then sue the shit outta everyone.

You could call yourself Analscape!