PDA

View Full Version : In game XMB and gamer trophies for PS3 coming July 2nd (joystiq)

diskoboy
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
It's official.

The 2.40 firmware update most PS3 owners have been looking forward to, is coming July 2nd.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/30/sony-officially-reveals-ps3-firmware-2-40-features/

Sudo
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Awesome, it's about time.

titanzguard
06-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Woot! I am happy to see this. I will be home on Wednesday as well to DL it.

geneshifter
06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
WOW! I have to replay all these games to get the trophies?!? Screw that!

diskoboy
06-30-2008, 01:31 PM

I said the exact same thing.

PapaStu
06-30-2008, 01:44 PM

No. Its only in regards to NEW games that are coming out. Not stuff previously out. I saw a list on Kotaku of games that are going to be 2.4 compatable, they were all new games, like MotorStorm 2, Little Big Planet ect. Not older stuff.

dao2
06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
No. Its only in regards to NEW games that are coming out. Not stuff previously out. I saw a list on Kotaku of games that are going to be 2.4 compatable, they were all new games, like MotorStorm 2, Little Big Planet ect. Not older stuff.

there are some older ones, and your old saves do not update with trophies.

Vinnysdad
06-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Then dont replay them. Problem solved.

s1lence
06-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, I will attempt to get some of them in Stardust HD and Novastrike. One thing I still think is stupid though.....no points??? Sony thinks people don't want points, I think the achievement function on the 360 has proven that to be what people do want.

Also developers are not required to have this function either, which brings inconsistant functions to light once again.

Now if they have a way to track them like you can 360 achievements, through a PC that will help a little bit.

heybtbm
06-30-2008, 04:19 PM
A few random thoughts...

Are trophies going to be as "internet friendly" as the 360's achievements? Will we be able to check on them via the internet or are these strictly viewable on the XMB?

One thing I don't like is Sony's policy of not requiring developers to include trophies in their games. This is supposedly why MGS4 doesn't have any. Is it just me or do Japanese developers not seem too keen on these types of things?

It will be interesting to see if cross-platform releases will have the exact same achievements/trophies.

Tommy
06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
i wonz :bday:

Sudo
06-30-2008, 04:46 PM
According to Gamespot's article, trophies will be standard across all games in the future. I'm glad that you'll be required to replay games if you want to earn them, since otherwise people could just download saved games off the Internet and get free trophies.

Emuaust
06-30-2008, 05:17 PM
I also see pic leaked of ps2 games popping up on the store soon!, fancy that.

CosmicMonkey
06-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Every time my PS3 does a system update, I have to re-sync the remote control. It's the official Sony one. Is this normal?

Lothars
06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Every time my PS3 does a system update, I have to re-sync the remote control. It's the official Sony one. Is this normal?

I don't think it is because I never have to resync mine after a system update

it's strange though that it happens to you

Cmosfm
06-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Awesome thing is that I just got my PS3 not too long ago and haven't played ANY games on it yet, so if the old games do get trophies eventually, I won't have anything to worry about. :)

Now we wait for HOME.

exit
06-30-2008, 10:52 PM
It took them long enough, maybe I'll actually send/receive messages to/from people on my list now. There are some games I'd rather not re-play, so unless they can find a way to avoid that (highly unlikely), I won't even bother with trophies unless it's a game I'd go back and play.

m117
07-01-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm just glad its finally here. The functionality is cool, yeah, but what I am happy to see is Sony FINALLY paying attention to their community. That said, im mos def looking forward to the trophies. I'm buying Super Stardust HD the day the update comes out just to rack up some clout. It's true though, the lack of trophy backwards compat. is disappointing.

dao2
07-01-2008, 12:57 AM
To the people hoping for the functionality/points and all that like the 360 I think your going to be disappointed :| PSN is free and great and all but always one step behind XBL and I doubt all the goodness of PS3 achievements is either a long way coming or nowhere at all....

Sudo
07-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Update is live now, for those who were waiting for it. :)

diskoboy
07-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Update is live now, for those who were waiting for it. :)

Wow! A day early! How thoughtful of Sony!

(no. I'm not being sarcastic...)

exit
07-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I turned on my PS3 and was going to listen tp some tunes until midnight, those plans were quickly shattered when I saw the update notice. So it looks like I won't have to deal with dropped downloads due to traffic, since I'm sure nobody expected it to be released 15-20mins earlier.

Well in the process of typing this, the download finished and it's installing.

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Got my first trophy not even 2 minutes after downloading the update.

Super Stardust HD looks like it's got some pretty tough 'trophies'. (I'm still gonna be calling 'em, 'achievements'...)

exit
07-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Got my first trophy not even 2 minutes after downloading the update.

I've been playing it for well over an hour and I can barely survive, looks like this may be tougher than I thought.

Neil Koch
07-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Yeah, it doesn't look like there are any "gimmies", but then again I'm dead tired so I'm not playing the game well right now.

Kind of odd that you can't use the XMB to change the music, even though the game is one of the few to use custom soundtracks.

I tried changing the music on GTA4... no go. Bah.

It's nice being able to monitor downloads while you're in a game, and to switch between the games without having to exit to the startup screen. I only have a couple of friends on PSN so I really have no idea how the new enhancements work with that aspect.

BTW, there's an article on Joystiq that says Burnout will retroactively give you trophies, and it looks like Warhawk will be doing the same.

Lothars
07-02-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah, it doesn't look like there are any "gimmies", but then again I'm dead tired so I'm not playing the game well right now.

Kind of odd that you can't use the XMB to change the music, even though the game is one of the few to use custom soundtracks.

I tried changing the music on GTA4... no go. Bah.

BTW, there's an article on Joystiq that says Burnout will retroactively give you trophies, and it looks like Warhawk will be doing the same.

That's strange I thought you could change songs from what it was sounding like the movie we were shown

crazy.

Cmosfm
07-02-2008, 01:10 AM

Great, now people will download completed game files and skyrocket with trophies as soon as this goes live.

Sudo
07-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Great, now people will download completed game files and skyrocket with trophies as soon as this goes live.

For Warhawk and Burnout, the save info is tied to your PSN account, so this isn't possible. The majority of games won't have retroactive trophy support, so there won't be any trophy cheating anyway.

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 01:58 AM
A list of games that have trophies, so far, are listed here.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/index.php

The list of disc based games, so far, is:
Burnout Paradise
Buzz! Quiz TV
Dark Sector
Devil May Cry 4
Heavenly Sword
LittleBigPlanet
MotorStorm Pacific Rift
NBA 09
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Resistance 2
Resistance: Fall of Man
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
The Darkness
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk

List of PSN games are:
PAIN
PixelJunk Eden
Super Stardust HD (and you can't get all the trophies unless you have SSHD: Solo installed, as well...)

Sudo
07-02-2008, 02:31 AM
A list of games that have trophies, so far, are listed here.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/index.php

The list of disc based games, so far, is:
Burnout Paradise
Buzz! Quiz TV
Dark Sector
Devil May Cry 4
Heavenly Sword
LittleBigPlanet
MotorStorm Pacific Rift
NBA 09
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Resistance 2
Resistance: Fall of Man
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
The Darkness
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk

List of PSN games are:
PAIN
PixelJunk Eden
Super Stardust HD (and you can't get all the trophies unless you have SSHD: Solo installed, as well...)
SSHD is the only game that actually has them, right now. An Insomniac rep on the PlayStation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/07/01/want-more-r2-grab-gamepro/comment-page-2/#comments) posted that Insomniac has no plans to add trophies to R&C or the first Resistance.

CosmicMonkey
07-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Just installed my 2.40 update. And for the first time, my remote control stayed synched with the system. Awesome.

Joker T
07-02-2008, 12:00 PM
My Trophies icon is a giant question mark, is it that way until I unlock some?

Neil Koch
07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
That's the way mine is like, so I'd assume yes. If you have SSHD, you can press X on the question mark and it'll display a list of the possible trophies in the game and what's needed to get them.

exit
07-02-2008, 01:12 PM
My Trophies icon is a giant question mark, is it that way until I unlock some?

I've read that having a custom theme will cause that, except for the PSN theme that is, since it's a newly added feature and all.

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
If they add trophies to MGS4, I'm gonna be super pissed.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great game. But I don't think I have the energy to play through it again, so soon.

I'm sure they eventually will, since MGS4 and GTA4 are the PS3's top selling games.

mailman187666
07-02-2008, 02:20 PM
If they add trophies to MGS4, I'm gonna be super pissed.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great game. But I don't think I have the energy to play through it again, so soon.

I'm sure they eventually will, since MGS4 and GTA4 are the PS3's top selling games.

I was just going to say that I want trophies for MGS4 and GTA4 because those are my favorite PS3 game at the moment. Does this mean we'll have trophies for Final Fantasy 13???? I hope so. I also have a feeling that some companys will have downloadable patches to update older games with adding trophies. No Ninja Gaiden Sigma huh?

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 03:04 PM
No Ninja Gaiden Sigma huh?

Now that's a game I could play over and over and over.....

Joker T
07-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Is it true that Sony is NOT requiring Devs to include trophy support for new games?

Major fail if true..

Neil Koch
07-02-2008, 03:33 PM
From what I understand, yes, it is up to the developers to put in trophies and custom soundtracks into games.

Joker T
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
I've read that having a custom theme will cause that, except for the PSN theme that is, since it's a newly added feature and all.

I can confirm this is true, I changed mine to the original wave theme from the MGS4 one and now the icons appear.

heybtbm
07-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Sony just took down the 2.4 update...

http://kotaku.com/5021575/sony-pulls-ps3-240-firmware-after-reported-problems

I don't know what I'd do if all my saves were gone (including PS2 saves). Ouch.

http://kotaku.com/5021458/ps3-240-update-problems-and-solutions

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Oh shit.... I haven't turned mine back on since I updated it last night. I'm screwed if mine is affected, because I bought my 60gb used, and have no warranty.

Fortunately, I backed up my PS3's HD, last week on my WD Passport external HD. So I'm not too concerned about data loss.

My only problem would be not being able to re-format the HD, since my laptop is IDE, and the PS3's HD's are SATA.

EDIT - just turned it on. It seems to be working okay, and all my save data is showing up. To be safe, I'm gonna back the HD up again, immediately. If you own a PS3, I STRONGLY suggest buying a cheap, external USB HD, for incidents such as this.

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
I also just found this article on joystiq saying that eventually, EVERY PS3 game will have 'trophies'.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/02/uncharted-and-every-game-getting-ps3-trophies/

exit
07-02-2008, 05:04 PM
It seems that the trophies take awhile to appear, which is kind of frustrating, especially after being frustrated with SSDHD and thinking there was some kind of bug.

Sudo
07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Trophies are only optional for developers right now, because they didn't have sufficient time to add them. They will be standard across all games in the future, however.

Neil Koch
07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
EDIT - just turned it on. It seems to be working okay, and all my save data is showing up. To be safe, I'm gonna back the HD up again, immediately. If you own a PS3, I STRONGLY suggest buying a cheap, external USB HD, for incidents such as this.

Yeah, since my old computer's HD crashed several times, I bought an external HD to back up the data for my site. Guess I'll start using it for important PS3 data now, though thankfully mine is still working fine after the update.

heybtbm
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah, since my old computer's HD crashed several times, I bought an external HD to back up the data for my site. Guess I'll start using it for important PS3 data now, though thankfully mine is still working fine after the update.

How would you get the save files back to the PS3? I'm mainly interested in backing up my numerous PS2 save files. If I needed to, how would I get them from the external HD to the PS3's HD and still be able to use them?

exit
07-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Well it turns out if you want your trophies to appear, you have to quit the game and then re-start it (at least for SSDHD), which is kind annoying when you don't know. I can understand them not appearing right away, but I don't see why they wouldn't at least appear when you quit the game, but it's really no big deal.

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 11:54 PM
How would you get the save files back to the PS3? I'm mainly interested in backing up my numerous PS2 save files. If I needed to, how would I get them from the external HD to the PS3's HD and still be able to use them?

There's a feature, in the XMB, that will let you back up your PS3's entire HD to an external source - media card, thumb drive, external HD, etc..

(PS1/PS2/PS3)Game saves, Game data installed on the HD, music, videos, preferences - all will be backed up.

Then there is also a restore feature, so you can use that external backup to restore your PS3's HD to it's former glory. Or it's handy if you install a larger capacity HD in your PS3.

And I recommend an external HD, because most games install on the PS3's HD, and take up alot of space. Then you have game save data, on top of that. I don't have many games. But my PS3's HD backup size was 18gb. So usually, media cards won't cut it..

lendelin
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM

I'm technologically challenged so this maybe dumb advice and too obvious. I just saved all my PS2 save files to a USB memory stick. Or wouldn't that work to get the save files back to a restored PS3 HD?

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-03-2008, 02:20 PM
There's a feature, in the XMB, that will let you back up your PS3's entire HD to an external source - media card, thumb drive, external HD, etc..

(PS1/PS2/PS3)Game saves, Game data installed on the HD, music, videos, preferences - all will be backed up.

Then there is also a restore feature, so you can use that external backup to restore your PS3's HD to it's former glory. Or it's handy if you install a larger capacity HD in your PS3.

And I recommend an external HD, because most games install on the PS3's HD, and take up alot of space. Then you have game save data, on top of that. I don't have many games. But my PS3's HD backup size was 18gb. So usually, media cards won't cut it..

I've not needed to do this yet, but in the event that I do ... as far as I can see, what will be needed for the process are TWO hard drives.

One new, blank (preferably larger than whats in there) laptop HDD to be installed in the PS3.

One external USB2.0 HDD of any variety for the "back up" and "restore" process.

and, after all is said and done, as a consolation prize, you're left with the laptop HDD that was previously in your PS3 to do with what you will.

jajaja
07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Well it turns out if you want your trophies to appear, you have to quit the game and then re-start it (at least for SSDHD), which is kind annoying when you don't know. I can understand them not appearing right away, but I don't see why they wouldn't at least appear when you quit the game, but it's really no big deal.
Do you mean that you have to restart Super Stardust HD to be able to see if the trophy is unlocked or not from the thropy list? If that is the case then there might be a bug indeed like you mentioned earlier. I have unlocked every trophy in SSDHD (well, except for the last one that is called Brothers in Arms or something, you need to multiplayer expansion pak to unlock that and this expansion pak isnt out yet) and i always (what i noticed atleast) got a notice in the top right corner of the screen when i managed to unlock a trophy :)

Sudo
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Do you mean that you have to restart Super Stardust HD to be able to see if the trophy is unlocked or not from the thropy list? If that is the case then there might be a bug indeed like you mentioned earlier. I have unlocked every trophy in SSDHD (well, except for the last one that is called Brothers in Arms or something, you need to multiplayer expansion pak to unlock that and this expansion pak isnt out yet) and i always (what i noticed atleast) got a notice in the top right corner of the screen when i managed to unlock a trophy :)

You only need to restart the game for your trophy count to be updated in your PSN profile.

exit
07-03-2008, 06:26 PM
I have unlocked every trophy in SSDHD (well, except for the last one that is called Brothers in Arms or something, you need to multiplayer expansion pak to unlock that and this expansion pak isnt out yet) and i always (what i noticed atleast) got a notice in the top right corner of the screen when i managed to unlock a trophy :)

Wow man, every trophy? Well I guess it's not that hard if you've been playing the game for awhile, but besides playing the demo, I pretty much jumped into the game head first. The game is addicting as hell tho and doing the little achievements really helps you get better at playing the game, so it really doesn't feel like something that was just tacked on.

As for the co-op pak, it was released when the 2.40 update was released, but they for whatever reason took it down (as well as the game update) when the firmware upgrade was pulled. I purchased both expansions when I purchased the game, so I guess I lucked out.

jajaja
07-03-2008, 06:36 PM
You only need to restart the game for your trophy count to be updated in your PSN profile.
Ah, like the syncing of the trophies to the PSN? Then i understand :) You dont have to restart the game to sync the trophies to the PSN by the way, after you exit the game you can click on the trohpies icon from the XMB and then it will sync the trophies you have achieved to the PSN :)

Wow man, every trophy? Well I guess it's not that hard if you've been playing the game for awhile, but besides playing the demo, I pretty much jumped into the game head first. The game is addicting as hell tho and doing the little achievements really helps you get better at playing the game, so it really doesn't feel like something that was just tacked on.

As for the co-op pak, it was released when the 2.40 update was released, but they for whatever reason took it down (as well as the game update) when the firmware upgrade was pulled. I purchased both expansions when I purchased the game, so I guess I lucked out.
Ye, i unlocked the last 2 trophies earlier today (well, yesterday since the clock is over midnight here now) :) Those were the "get 15 bombs in the Bomber mode" and "get 15 tokens in one boost", or something like that.

I didnt mean to come of with an attitude and say "the trophies are easy to unlock", just to underline that, i just wanted to mention that i got a notice (atleast what i can remember and what i've noticed) everytime i unlocked a trophy and that i've unlocked everyone trophy (except for the last one where you have to have the multiplayer expansion pak), but if you ment what Sudo already said, that you have to quit the game to be able to sync the trophies to the PSN, then i understand what you mean :) I first thought you ment that you didnt get a notice when you achieved something in the game, like you didnt get a notice in the top right corner of the screen if you managed to unlock a trohpy. Like if you manage to clear the planet Lave, that you didnt get a message that says "you have unlocked: Hero of Lave" or something like that.

Ye, i can add that i've probly have like 150 hours of gameplay time in SSDHD including the solo expansion pak so i've had quite some practice already :) The game probably gets easier the more you practice as you said. But even with about 150 hours of gameplay i did have to try many times to unlock the 2 trophies that i mentioned earlier, they were harder than i thought they would be. Ye, i agree, i love SSDHD (its probly my most played game this generation) and i also agree that the trohpies are a nice addition to the game :)

Oh, so the multiplayer expansion pack was released already? I must have missed it then :( I guess it was avalible through the online store (not the PS Store) that you can access from the game's menu then? I checked the PS Store maybe some hours after i updated my PS3 to the 2.40 firmware, but i didnt see any SSDHD multiplayer expansion there :\ I read on another forum earlier that one guy wasnt able to download the 4.00 update for SSDHD so i guess they took that one down as well. Thanks for the info by the way! :)

CosmicMonkey
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
2.41 firmware to be released this week, apparently (http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/07/sony-releasing-ps3-firmware-2-41-midweek-say-reps/).

CosmicMonkey
07-08-2008, 04:50 AM
2.41 is out. I'm downloading it now.