PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting EVE Online

boatofcar
07-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Something about EVE has always attracted me more than the fantasy-based MMO's. In a few weeks I'm going to be buying a new iMac, so I'll have a machine that can actually run it. Is anybody currently playing?

GM80
07-02-2008, 09:29 AM
I was in the same situation a few months ago, right after they released their Mac client. I had a MacBook Pro at the time, and EVE's SciFi atmosphere (combined with the dearth of games on the Mac) led me to give it a try.

It was incredible at first, then I quickly became overwhelmed.

Now that's a commentary on my personality and time constraints probably more than it reflects on EVE itself. If you're an experienced MMO player, and the content appeals to you, then I suspect you'll love EVE.

As someone who had never invested any time or effort into a complex MMO, it absolutely destroyed me. I never signed up beyond the free trial period.

MrSparkle
07-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I played lineage 2 for about a year, when i got out i figured id pick up another mmo and my friend was into eve so i gave it a whirl. This game is MASSIVE not that most MMOs aren't but this thing is on an overwhelming scale. There are definitely some cool elements you'll see in this game and no where else but i just kind of said screw this and gave up. now having given up i cancelled my account, or at least i tried to i've BEEN TRYING to cancel it for about a year now they insist i don't have an account yet my credit card statement says different. Be wary of their sketchy billing and best of luck to you in your endeavors.

zemmix
07-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Couldn't you just have your card decline them the next time they try to charge you?

MrSparkle
07-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Yes i could and I am going to do so, i just haven't gotten around to it. Really it's just the principal of the matter that they cant seem to keep track of account info and billing info.

dao2
07-02-2008, 01:31 PM
don't

eve's been long dead with the ass changes they've been making

dao2
07-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes i could and I am going to do so, i just haven't gotten around to it. Really it's just the principal of the matter that they cant seem to keep track of account info and billing info.

weird, I've never had a problem with their billing, you can't even login to the site with your account?

boatofcar
07-02-2008, 06:37 PM
don't

eve's been long dead with the ass changes they've been making

Can you explain the "ass changes?"

SegaAges
07-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I never got into it, but it was because of the sketchy stories I read about some of the GMs giving some guilds rare items to give them an extra boost.

I still play SWG super hardcore, but only for space. I honestly am on the ground long enough to drop off my looted ship parts and then get back into the sky.

I was told just what some of you have said, that eve is so massive that it is overwhelming. I am an insane pilot in swg, so I would only end up just having a little fighter pwning people hardcore, plus I like most mmo's where if you die, you don;t lose everything. My ship in swg I have been building up for the past year (I have been playing swg for about 2 or 3 years), and I would probably just quit swg and pick up another game if I lost my ship, just because I have put so much time into it, to the point where it would not be worth it to try and do it all over again (plus I have a pre-nerf engine, old school swg peeps will know about pre-nerf ship parts).

That is the thing, it is all about what type of game you want to play, because there is an MMo out there for you. Mac-wise, uh, I am not sure. I know that I play swg only for the space, I love it (I am a Wing Commander nut, so it makes sense that I am a privateer in space). I am sure you can play eve and not do too much flying, but it depends on what you are playing it for.

dao2
07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Can you explain the "ass changes?"

Sure,

On paper much of the changes they've made, POS, Sniping Ability, Sov. Map changes, and others look very good.

In practice they make it very boring, solo pvp is practically dead. Every fleet battle is a giant lagfest due to the overrun servers, and even if they weren't all they would be is a huge snipefest were if you got kills you were lucky or the other side doesn't know how to warp out. Sov and Pos have made wars a battle of attrition unless you just steamroller a hugely weaker opponent, making it long grinding months of sitting in a POS if your equal.

Titans have definitely not helped the mix going around doomsdaying everything. I miss mid-castor :( The game just has no more fun...

And if you like empire macrominers have overrun the majority systems so you have to go far outa your way to find a system with ore in it. So all that's really left is the boring mission grind...

So yeah

ass changes, and that's just off the top of my head there's a lot of bad changes done...

GM80
07-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Have you compared Vendetta Online?

Overbite
07-03-2008, 03:24 PM
It's not bad if you don't mind not playing it. You set your skills and they level up themselves over time. You'd spend more time in excel min-maxing everything than actually flying around fighting. Which there is very little of.

boatofcar
07-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Sure,

On paper much of the changes they've made, POS, Sniping Ability, Sov. Map changes, and others look very good.

In practice they make it very boring, solo pvp is practically dead. Every fleet battle is a giant lagfest due to the overrun servers, and even if they weren't all they would be is a huge snipefest were if you got kills you were lucky or the other side doesn't know how to warp out. Sov and Pos have made wars a battle of attrition unless you just steamroller a hugely weaker opponent, making it long grinding months of sitting in a POS if your equal.

Titans have definitely not helped the mix going around doomsdaying everything. I miss mid-castor :( The game just has no more fun...

And if you like empire macrominers have overrun the majority systems so you have to go far outa your way to find a system with ore in it. So all that's really left is the boring mission grind...

So yeah

ass changes, and that's just off the top of my head there's a lot of bad changes done...

dao2
07-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Aye is a good thing to not play, I played for 2-3 years then quit, and after talkin about the old days with friends again I started playing again 3-4 months later just to be reminded of why I quit :|

I really don't know any decent MMOs ATM, EvE was great once, the best. Now it's just another moneywhore mmo :(

Stark
07-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Just try the demo and see for yourself. It's got the cool factor in the beginning but it's not my idea of a fun game.