PDA

View Full Version : So why don't XBL accounts become a silver after your gold account expires?

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I tried logging on to XBL last night, and I couldnt even connect because I decided to let my gold membership expire, and since I barely ever play online, I figure I'd go for a silver account.

MS isn't letting me - it keeps asking me for a new payment option. I can't even log in to XBL at all, now.

WTF, MICROSOFT????

heybtbm
07-02-2008, 03:31 PM
They should default to silver memberships once your gold expires. Did your credit card expire? That's the only situation I can think of when they completely take away your access for that specific account.

My old XBL account and my wife's current account were both gold then turned to silver once we let them expire. I should add...both of those accounts were started with the XBL cards you buy in stores. Neither one was set up with any credit card info.

diskoboy
07-02-2008, 04:27 PM
They should default to silver memberships once your gold expires. Did your credit card expire? That's the only situation I can think of when they completely take away your access for that specific account.

My old XBL account and my wife's current account were both gold then turned to silver once we let them expire. I should add...both of those accounts were started with the XBL cards you buy in stores. Neither one was set up with any credit card info.

My bank was bought out, and changed names. Therefore, my CC changed, as well.

I haven't given them my new credit card after finding out how damn near impossible to is to get MS to stop using that account.

My only problem is now I can't log in to XBL, at all. And it won't let me unless I pay for another gold account, according to the onscreen message.

ProgrammingAce
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
If you activate your xbl account using store bought cards, your account will go back to silver status. If you pay using a credit card, your account becomes suspended.

I had an engineer explain the reasons but it's complicated... and retarded.

This is why i recommend people buy cards to activate an XBL gold account

youruglyclone
07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
can't you manage your account via xbox.com

s1lence
07-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Does this mean he is going to get locked out of his account like Sothy?

I didn't use a points card, I just make sure I have an active CC on my account. Its my debit card and it works pretty well for me.

ProgrammingAce
07-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Does this mean he is going to get locked out of his account like Sothy?

Possibly, but i don't think so. If sothy had gotten a half-way decent CS rep on the phone, they should have been able to enter a new card into his profile.

Oh, and while we're on the topic... don't let your gamertag go "inactive" for more then 6 months or it'll get locked and you'll loose it for good. By inactive, i don't mean a silver account, i mean if you're paying with a credit card and stop renewing you'll get locked out like diskoboy. If you leave your profile like that for 6 months, it gets "locked". As far as i'm aware, it's not recoverable by anyone after that.

The 1 2 P
07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
can't you manage your account via xbox.com

Yes you can. And if all else fails, just call the customer service number. But keep this in mind: when you call, if someone with less than perfect english is the one helping you, hang up and keep calling back until you get something who speaks perfectly clear english. Otherwise you'll add a communication barrier problem to your other account problems;)