PDA

View Full Version : Has a video game ever made you cry?

Dreamcast
07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
not for me.

NOOOOOoooo! PLEASE ONLY PICK 1!!!!!!

Chuplayer
07-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Only MGS3 and MGS4 have done it to me.

SPOILERS AHEAD

The end of MGS3 where Big Boss learns about what The Boss did and salutes her at the cemetery made me cry.

The final fight in MGS4 where Snake and Liquid fought. It was really graphically brutal, and I couldn't bear to see Snake get mauled like that. And this was before you actually got to play!

Sudo
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
No, but I've come very close a couple times.

Brian Deuel
07-02-2008, 07:09 PM
I have no heart.

modest9797
07-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Some games have moments that are kinda sad.

*SPOILER*

Like in Halo 3 when sarge dies. but nothing that has made me cry or anything like that.

mnbren05
07-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm fairly cold and unaffected by games, so nope.

TonyTheTiger
07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Batman: Dark Tomorrow. I wept.

calgon
07-02-2008, 08:45 PM
At the end of Grim Fandango it felt like I was leaving friends and a real tangible "life" behind as manny left on the train with meche. I also liked his line about "I don't know what will happen to us, so we might as well enjoy the ride. I remember finishing that right before I took my sociology final my freshman year in college and actually having a lump in my throat the entire time.

mezrabad
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Planetfall, by Infocom.

I'll never forget Floyd, though I didn't quite get the song your character sings to him as he passes on...

EX-Soldier
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
......AERIESSSSSSS NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU SEPHIROTHHHHHH DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLLLLL!!!!

MGS3 & 4 made me really sad, 4 in particular cuz its like the end of an era =(

TheDomesticInstitution
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Seriously?

exit
07-02-2008, 09:17 PM
The end of Silent Hill 2 hit me pretty hard, it came almost out of nowhere and I was just sitting there with my jaw dropped. D2 is another game that had it's moments that just stick with you.

retroman
07-02-2008, 09:21 PM
ya,,i have. Im a sissy.

EX-Soldier
07-02-2008, 09:38 PM
The end of Silent Hill 2 hit me pretty hard, it came almost out of nowhere and I was just sitting there with my jaw dropped. D2 is another game that had it's moments that just stick with you.

4got about sh2, that was one fucked up ending, oh remember when *SPOILER WARNING* you were walking with that chick thru that long curving dark hallway and thru ur peripheral vision u notice a 3rd shadow behind you, then as u scream like a little bitch (I did anyway) when realize pyramid head was behind you the entire time! You both make your way to the closing elevator door....only to realize your lady friend wont be taking that trip up with you, from now on its just you & all you'll have to remember her by are her lasts desperate gasps 4 air her blood all over you....

That was ROUGHHHHH, that kinda fucked me up for while, not to the point of tears but a mixed cocktail of shock & sadness....GOOOOOOOD TIMES BOY GOOOOD TIMES

j_factor
07-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Yes, but not for the usual reason. There have been a few instances when I kept replaying the same difficult part, and then finally, barely scraped past it, only to die again before the next checkpoint or whatever, and have to go back and re-do to the difficult part again. Situations like that have made me cry... or at least, cry out.

SegaAges
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Shenmue 1.

Ididn't cry, but the story moved me.

That's right, I brought it up.

jcalder8
07-02-2008, 10:11 PM
I've been moved by games but I've never cried during one, I can't come up with one off the top of my head but I know that it's happened.

Dangerboy
07-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I am an emotional train wreck when it comes to game stories. I get into them. Sue me.

Tear jerker moments:

1. FF7 - duh
2. Halo 3's full, past credits and all ending - I bawled like a baby
3. Zack and Wiki's ending (teared up, if you haven't played it, shut up)
4. MGS 1 and 2 moved me, but no tears...those composers are damn good

There's 2 or 3 others from further back, but for the life of me I can not remember.

PapaStu
07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I got REAL worked up thanks to CoD4. The Midpoint shocker as well as the ending. Hell that whole last level was paced so damn well that I was experiencing the excitement and my adrenaline was pumping as I was trying to get away.

GM80
07-02-2008, 10:25 PM
ET for the 2600

[/mandatory]

Streetball 21
07-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Shenmue 1.

Ididn't cry, but the story moved me.

That's right, I brought it up.

Same here. Especially the beginning of where they kill his dad. Also the beginning of Shenmue II when he's on the ship, heading to Hong Kong.

Oh yeah, and Lan Di will pay!!!!!!!

Rob2600
07-02-2008, 10:32 PM
3. Zack and Wiki's ending (teared up, if you haven't played it, shut up)

That was a good ending. I definitely wasn't expecting that to happen.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time also had a touching ending, especially when Princess Zelda took the ocarina from Link and sent him back in time to be a child again.

Blitzwing256
07-02-2008, 11:09 PM
some of the dreams in lost odessey brought me pretty close, some really depressing stuff in there.(damn good story element though)

Cloud121
07-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Major Spoilers ahead......

Final Fantasy IX: Ending. I didn't cry, but it did move me quite a bit. The single greatest ending in video game history, and I just wanted to stand up and cheer at the very end. Everytime I see the ending, I always applaud with the rest of the crowd when Zidane and Garnet are reunited.

Final Fantasy X: Ending, where Tidus says goodbye. Saturday, June 1, 2002 at around 5:00 PM. I cried well into the credits, and even past them (I skipped the part where you see Tidus swim towards the screen). I don't think I regained my composure until around 5:30 - 5:45 PM.

Phantasy Star II: Nei's Death. I had already known it was going to happen thanks to being spoiled by it countless times over the years. But when I finally saw it for myself in March/April 2003, my jaw just dropped. "What the hell just happened?!" I screamed at the TV. I didn't cry, just shocked.

Phantasy Star IV: Alys' Death, and getting Megido. Again, just like Nei, I already knew it was going to happen. I still cried quite a bit. I was never a big fan of "Her Last Breath" but it playing alongside what was happening on screen changed that. Then, when you go to get Megido on Rykros, and you have to face Alys as Chaz, and the same song plays... I was literally screaming at the TV "I don't want to fight her! I can't! I won't!"

Lost Odyssey: Several of the flashbacks (most notably, the first one with the girl at the inn), and Kaim's daughter's death. I actually stopped playing after the funeral, just because that was such an amazing scene, and so heartfelt, and played with your emotions so well, I was afraid the rest of the game couldn't match it. I'm sure it will though, as I do plan on resume playing it pretty soon.

Metal Gear: Guns of the Patriots: Raiden's Ending. Raiden is my single favorite character out of the entire series (SoL Raiden, though GotP Raiden is a close second), and finding out about Rose and Campbell is what drove me to keep playing. It pissed me off as well. I wanted to know what Raiden thought. And to see Raiden sacrifice himself for Snake against Arsenal Gear was great (though the voice acting was kinda poor). I was afraid he was dead, and I just about stopped playing. But I kept going, just because I knew they wouldn't kill off one of the most important characters that stupidly. And to hear him call out Rose's name made it even better, as it proved he still loved her. Then to find out Raiden was alive, and help Snake make to GW's core on Arsenal Gear, had me on my feet.

When it got to his ending, I was happy to see him human again, and then to see Rose come up, I just thought "Oh great, she's just here to see how he's doing", but I was still happy to see them together again. Then the revelation....

I cried, I cheered, and I was the happiest man alive. Seeing Raiden have a happy ending was amazing. That was all I cared about the whole game was Raiden. All I wanted was for him to be happy. To find out she faked everything for the sake of protecting their child, and to protect him stunned me, and had me in tears. And seeing them all together in the mirror just made me stand up and cheer. Raiden was finally happy. Free from the Patriots, and together with the woman he loved for so long, and his son John.

SpaceHarrier
07-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Never cried, but the closest I got was the ending of Persona 3. Probably because you get to know everyone so well in that RPG... and then.. *sigh* Probably would have cried but I beat the game in front of my roommate/best friend and there would be no end to hearing about that.

Also was moved by FFX. Everyone was pretty much lovable in that one so it was a hard goodbye.

Also same for FFVIII, except only Selphie and Rinoa were lovable. Still, the ending, and especially the ending theme "Eyes on Me", were quite dramatic and melancholy. Excellent ending though.

Aussie2B
07-03-2008, 04:09 AM
When I was an emotional teenage girl, a few RPGs made me shed a couple tears. The ending to Lufia II since I hadn't been spoiled by the first game, a few different parts in Chrono Trigger, etc. These days I occasionally get a little choked up by some especially moving parts in games, but no crying.

But just a year ago or less I watched the final episode of David the Gnome for the first time ever, after not seeing the show since my childhood, and it turned me into complete mush. Go figure.

G-Boobie
07-03-2008, 04:10 AM
The end of Metal Gear Solid: 3 got me this close to crying: I had the lump in the throat, the blurry vision, the trembly lip...

The 'good' ending of Bioshock got me good, too. It just seemed right, to me, and left me immensely satisfied. Very well done.

Wraith Storm
07-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Panzer Dragoon Saga

One of the greatest, most emotional and inspirational, yet heart wrenching endings ever created.

***SPOILERS***
The end of this game had me balling like a baby. It really parallels the characters from the Berzerk anime and manga. Edge and Azel work for opposing sides and are enemies. They fight each other several times during the game and eventually wind up alone together and have to work with each other to escape. Then slowly throughout the game they start to understand what each is trying to accomplish and they grow closer to each other (similair to Guts and Casca). Just before you enter Sestren at the end of the game, Edge and Azel say their goodbyes because they don't know what is going to happen. They dont know if they will ever see each other again. That scene where they say good bye gets my blood pumping, my heart pounding, and tears start to form. But NOTHING can prepare you for the ending scene after the credits! Thats when I always let go and sob like a little baby.
*** END SPOILERS***

I still curse SEGA to this day for creating one of the most beautiful, touching, cliff-hanger endings ever told. Instead of giving us a huge, over blown, epic, ending... *cough* Final Fantasy *cough*... SEGA chose to write the story and show us the last page and just as you were reading the final paragraph they turn out the lights! Sometimes Less is More and this is a prime example. It still tears at my heart 10 years later!

Trebuken
07-03-2008, 01:21 PM
While I have been moved the only times I have cried are in frustration...Landstalker...oh so great but the controls....Oh My God...it still irks me...

sirhansirhan
07-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I like this thread, but it's getting dangerous for me to read. Two different people have discussed the endings of two different games that I'm about to play, and I had to avert my eyes as quickly as I could before the ending was ruined.

A video game has only made me cry once, and that was the ending of Earthbound. Oddly enough, I've beaten Earthbound at least five times (probably more), and it only made me cry once--the second-to-most-recent time I beat it.

grolt
07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Never cried, but there's been a few instances of deep emotion. The beautifully rendered ending of NiGHTS and many different sequences from FF7.

Oh, and Astal gets me choked up too - such a tenderly told storybook of a game.

Zap!
07-03-2008, 01:31 PM
How could anybody not cry at the ending of Fantasy Zone? :)

mailman187666
07-03-2008, 01:36 PM
When I was like 6 and would replay a hard part over and over and never won, I'd get frustrated and cry. My mother would be like "ok thats enough, shut it off."

Other than that I never cried because of a storyline or anything like that. I did feel some form of emotions when reading some of the flashbacks in Lost Oddysey. Other than that, I never really got too emotionally involved in any games story line. RPGs, I'd say, would probably have the most affect on people due to its story driven nature.

lendelin
07-03-2008, 01:48 PM
The first time I beat Ninja Gaiden for the NES I went on my hands and knees, thanked God and cried like a woman.

Videogames never made me cry although I played a lot of RPGs. Probably it is my age. The older you get life pokes a lot of holes in your heart. 'Emotional' game situations pale in comparison to real life problems and sufferings.

Videogames are still more about challenges than emotinal identification with the story. Movies and novels make me cry sometimes.

jb143
07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
...I remember finishing that right before I took my sociology final my freshman year in college and actually having a lump in my throat the entire time.

That sounds like how I used to study for finals as wellLOL

Pantechnicon
07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
No. Although I used to make my younger cry all the time when I'd on the ol' Atari 2600. He never minded losing to me on Combat so much, but Indy 500 was technically his cart, and it drove him crazy that I pwn3d his mewling 10-year-old ass :evil:.

Usually the emotional cycle I feel at the end of a game goes something like:

"I beat it! Yay!"
"Whew..."
[emptiness]
"What's next?!"

miaandjohnrule
07-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Damn, There are a ton of spoilers floating around in this thread. Video games have never made me cry but I have been moved by several over the years.

megasdkirby
07-03-2008, 06:40 PM
It was Klonoa: Door to Phantomile for me.

SPOILERS!!!!

During the end sequence, when Huepow got seperated from Klonoa, and the music that played during that sequence...no matter how many times I see it, it makes me cry. It was so touching yet so sad, it was one of the few moments I have ever cried...and I cried like crazy, nearly non stop. It was hysteria...

*sniff*

otaku
07-03-2008, 07:38 PM
mostly just in anger when I was younger and would fail. I have felt moved (even near to tears) by games before

E Nice
07-03-2008, 08:02 PM
When I first played Snatcher, Harry's death. Yeah, it was a cliched death scene but it did what it was supposed to. It didn't make me cry but had that feeling in my throat.

mezrabad
07-03-2008, 08:04 PM
a few different parts in Chrono Trigger, etc.

I'm glad you brought up Chrono Trigger, because the ending to that game gave me a unique feeling that no other game has managed to capture since. For some reason, the credit sequence (showing their ship flying all through the different eras if I recall) just filled me with an incredible sense of ready-for-anything satisfaction. I don't think it was completing the game, per se, but somehow that feeling of no limits, endless possibilities and epic adventure, (that one could easily imagine the characters feeling) somehow transferred to me for a little bit. I dunno, it was very inspiring, at the very least it gave me enough inspiration to finally get around to setting up my MAME cabinet at the time.

YoshiM
07-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Wowed, yes (final boss battle of Ocarina of Time comes to mind). Stunned, most definitely (Psycho Mantis "reading my mind" in MGS). Cry? Not yet. I felt an emotional pang in Twilight Princess when Ilia gets struck down.

Aussie2B
07-04-2008, 01:10 AM
With Chrono Trigger, I think a big part of it is Mitsuda's masterful music. I haven't played through Chrono Trigger in many years, but I do listen to the soundtrack from time to time. The tracks are arranged chronologically (hah, kind of a pun there), and by the time I get to the last tracks, I always get a bit of a lump in my throat. In the ending you mentioned, the song "To Good Friends" really gets to me, and it really amplifies the feelings of the scene in the game. In the alternate main ending, the song "To Faraway Times" also really pulls on the heartstrings.

Nophix
07-04-2008, 09:46 AM
I got REAL worked up thanks to CoD4. The Midpoint shocker as well as the ending. Hell that whole last level was paced so damn well that I was experiencing the excitement and my adrenaline was pumping as I was trying to get away.

I almost forgot about that! I bawled like a baby during that scene!

ShinobiMan
07-04-2008, 09:54 AM
I had tears of joy the moment I beat Lunar: The Silver Star Story. It was epic. I finally had to say goodbye to that world and all the characters I loved.

I had a similar experience with Shenmue on Dreamcast. I have never cried from sadness though.

megasdkirby
07-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I don't think i cried, but I did feel an over powerful emotional sensation when I defeated Illusion of Gaia. I loved EVERYTHING about that game: the characters, ambiance...EVERYTHING. The ending made me most emotional, so much so, I applauded when the credits rolled.

I love that game. For me, an instant classic.

kainemaxwell
07-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Ending for Lufia 2. Sure it's a prequel and if you played the first game you know what happens. Just the emotional impact of the events leading up to it, and the characters celebrating their victory against the Sinistrals and waiting for Maxim and Selan to return really gets to you- especially seeing them flying around the world as spirits.

Guru of Time and Space
07-05-2008, 05:14 AM
But just a year ago or less I watched the final episode of David the Gnome for the first time ever, after not seeing the show since my childhood, and it turned me into complete mush. Go figure.

As it should. The last episode of David the Gnome is completely HEAVY.

-GoTaS

Tommy
07-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Nope can't say I have. 8-)

Dastardly Dylan
07-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I haven't cried over a game, but the ending for Kingdom Hearts gave me an "awwwww" moment.

rpgadam07
07-06-2008, 11:00 PM
The ending of Twilight Princess was pretty big for me.

*SPOILER*

The whole journey with Midna by your side and then she just leaves you was pretty shocking! I didn't cry, but I felt a sense of emptiness sweep over me when I was finished. It was like "Okay...that was really fun and everything. I got every single thing in the game (literally). I'm done. Now what?"

If the next Zelda game is half as good as this game was, I'll be satisfied!