PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 4 Article

Flack
07-05-2008, 11:33 AM
These rumors and articles always seem to come out way too early, but I thought this one was kind of interesting.

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=88328

It's funny, but I don't even feel like the PS3 has really ramped up to speed yet.

Poofta!
07-05-2008, 01:25 PM
i agree, i really dont feel the ps3's presence yet.

also, gamepro ive always considered to be probably the worst source for anything gaming related...

Trebuken
07-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Probably just PR to combat the recent suggestions that both Xbox and Nintendo will launch new consoles in...2010!

I am sure they began development of the PS4 as soon as the PS3 was finalized...why wouldn't they?

Also Sony's financials have been in the news....they supposedly lost 3.3 billion on the PS3. They probably want developers to know that they will continue to support their console despite the loss...positive press to combat negative press...

Will it have a cell processor???

Rob2600
07-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Sony has abandoned its ten year plan this quickly?

Kamisama
07-06-2008, 08:58 AM
With the huge loss of money that sony experienced until now they wont make a Playstation 4 this fast. 2010 is too early, really.

jajaja
07-06-2008, 11:03 AM
To be fair it says "2010 at soonest", that can be somewhere between 2010 - 20XX. Releasing a PS4 in 2010 would be too early in my opinon. PS2 was released somewhere around 6 years after PS1 so if we follow this pattern we should see PS3 somewhere around 2012.

smork
07-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say there won't be a PS4 before 2012. If then.

In my mind they are way behind the PS2 at the 20 month mark. Doesn't mean a failure, but I think at the least it means they'll push the current platform for a much longer period before focusing rumor and speculation toward the next console. They've gotta make some money off it sometime...

Greg2600
07-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Frankly, I really don't see what these consoles can gain from another new release. 360 and PS3 consoles are still too expensive, and the big graphical advantage over Wii hasn't done much for them. Nintendo has proven that the applying a PC gaming model to consoles is not the best idea.

FlufflePuff
07-06-2008, 11:42 AM
My PS3 is still sitting on the shelf where I first hooked it up. The controller has gathered dust as I haven't touched it in 6 months. Looking back to the PS2, it was the console that pulled me back into gaming. By 20 months there were several fantastic games I had to play. There still aren't any must haves for the PS3, MGS4 included. I still believe the games are coming, but I don't believe they'll have a new system in 2010. The article is a PR campaign to show that they are still fully in development. I would guess we'll see a new Playstation in 2011 at the earliest.

Rob2600
07-06-2008, 12:31 PM
somewhere between 2010 - 20XX

So the PlayStation 4 could be released in the same year Mega Man 4 took place!

Sudo
07-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Sony has abandoned its ten year plan this quickly?

GamePro isn't credible at all. Also, just because they say "ten year plan", doesn't mean that the PS4 won't be released until 2016. It just means that the system itself will be supported for that long, similar to how the PS2 is still being supported so long after release, as was the PSX.

Icarus Moonsight
07-06-2008, 03:08 PM
What about these "new gaming capabilities?"

Holman said that Sony plans to release a series of firmware upgrades, as the company has done with its PSP, to enable the PS3 to become more media center oriented and allow for third-party applications and hardware "such as interactive controllers" like the Nintendo Wii remote.

Media center and waggle are new gaming capabilities? What a load of crap...

When the PS4 is released, I'll buy a PS3 at deep deep discount. So, the sooner the better IMO. :D

Graham Mitchell
07-07-2008, 01:08 AM
The industry's going to sabotage themselves if they release new hardware now. I hate to bring this up, but...remember Sega in the late 90's? New hardware every year? Not the best thing. Systems that have the most success are usually allowed to live out a fairly lengthy shelf-life. In my naive opinion, the only thing that slows console and software sales in a successful machine is a press release announcing new hardware.

As other have suggested, I still don't think the PS3 is up to speed. It finally has one reason for me to buy it, though (MGS4...nothing else really other than the Blu-Ray player).

Hell, despite longer time on the market, I don't even feel the 360 has reached it's full potential or maxed out its install base. It's still really expensive, and there are many people I know who still want one, and would get one if it were cheaper.

Nintendo is the one who would really be fucking themselves if they release new hardware now. They've got quite a cash cow going. If they release a new console they'll split their market. Whatever they come up with next might not be so hot and cause them to lose their position instead of milking their current success for all it's worth.

@Greg2600: I'm a little hesitant to say that the way the 360 and PS3 are doing things is "not the best idea". I have a 360 and a Wii. I'm a person who plays video games because I like video games, and I'm really growing to hate my Wii save Okami and the virtual console. They're not designing software for video game people. Meanwhile, I think my 360 is the coolest man-made concoction in the history of the universe. They're churning out games I DREAMED about as a kid. I think the markets of people who buy a Wii vs. one of the other options are somewhat distinct. Yes, it's always more profitable to sell to the lowest common denominator, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to push the boundaries of your craft. Basically, I think the market for what Microsoft and Sony are offering will always be there, even after this Wii-trend bullshit tanks.

Anyway, let's talk about PS4.

Lothars
07-07-2008, 02:46 AM
My PS3 is still sitting on the shelf where I first hooked it up. The controller has gathered dust as I haven't touched it in 6 months. Looking back to the PS2, it was the console that pulled me back into gaming. By 20 months there were several fantastic games I had to play. There still aren't any must haves for the PS3, MGS4 included. I still believe the games are coming, but I don't believe they'll have a new system in 2010. The article is a PR campaign to show that they are still fully in development. I would guess we'll see a new Playstation in 2011 at the earliest.

Wow, You couldn't be more off on this

MGS 4 is easily one of the best games on the PS3 but there's just as many great titles for the PS3.

Oobgarm
07-07-2008, 05:25 AM
There still aren't any must haves for the PS3, MGS4 included.

:confused:

Note my emphasis. Judging by the way system sales have picked up, review scores, and how well the game has sold thus far, That statement couldn't be any more incorrect.

I won't list any of the 1st party games that are top-notch as well, and are easily deserving of a 'must-have'.

As for the article Flack posted, it's purely speculation. Sony isn't going to be out of the gate as soon as MS, but they will be out before Nintendo. I mean, the Wii is going to continue to make money for a long while, why kill it after 4 years? It would make no sense.

I can see a console forming as early as 2011 or 2012-giving the PS3 the traditional 5-6 year life, like most other machines, while still allowing it to live on for a few years beyond that. Which is what they're doing with the PS2, and did with the PSX.

Trebuken
07-07-2008, 03:37 PM
So I decided to investigate the 'no must have games' claim and came up with the following 18 games that are must haves. Assuming there are a few I missed (sports and racing likely), there does appear to be nearly 25 'must haves', including MGS4 which is a must have and really that isn't negotiable...the only concern is that many of the titles are not exclusive, so owning a 360 could really cut into your need for a PS3...but the Blu-Ray is worth the difference...

Heavenly Sword
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted, Drake's Fortune
Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty 4
Devil May Cry 4
Oblivion
Folklore
Motorstorm
Guitar Hero III
Lego Star Wars
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Ratchet and Clank
Resistance
Rainbow Six Vega
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare 2
Unreal Tournament 3

Many are still put off by the price of the 360 and PS3, but I think the increased functionality and technology they provide justifies their higher price; they are worth the extra money, it just sucks having to pay it....

Nature Boy
07-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Nintendo has proven that the applying a PC gaming model to consoles is not the best idea.

They did no such thing - you can't prove a negative. If Nintendo 'proved' anything it was that appealing to a broader base works. Well.

swlovinist
07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Fact: Sonys PS3 sales are not what they expected.
The console is in third place currently
Most people want to get a PS3, but not for $500

My opinion:
I could see Sony releasing a new console as early as 2010, if the PS3 continues to creep forward. Owning one myself, the system needs to come down in price now. There is some good games, but not enough for the public to see or justify the consoles price. I feel that the damage has been done for the PS3 and see it staying third if they dont drop the price $100 by the holidays. In the current state of the economy...PRICE IS EVERYTHING

Nature Boy
07-08-2008, 03:17 PM
In the current state of the economy...PRICE IS EVERYTHING

Dude, price is *always* everything!