PDA

View Full Version : Who else bought GH: Aerosmith?

unwinddesign
07-06-2008, 01:58 AM
So, against my better judgment I bought this...note that I don't like Aerosmith (more towards "dislike" on the scale) and I am not a GH nut (although I do like the game). So why I bought it remains a mystery...basically my friend and I wanted something to do for the night. $100 is steep for that? Yes, but whatever. I hadn't bought a new game in awhile. My thoughts:

-So cheap. Reused GH3 everything. Lazy.
-Tracks seems to be messed up? I don't like the volume leveling. It's hard to hear the guitar part a lot of the time, and sometimes the sound will jump up in between songs (i.e. song will be relatively soft and then BOOM! all the sound effects/cheering after the song are loud as all hell)
-Short. Which could be a bonus, actually...
-Why is this full retail price? Yes, I know, because goobs like me bought it. That aside, the game ain't selling too well.
-Mo-cap of band is bad.
-Song charts just aren't fun. Even in GH2/GH3 there were songs I didn't like that were fun to play...it seems that in every game, though, they've made the Aerosmith charts arbitrary as all hell and not nearly as fun as the rest of the game. This game takes that concepts and runs with it...I thought the best song was the Joan Jett song, which I like to call "[Not] I Love Rock and Roll [But Really F'in similar]"
-If I'm paying 60 bones for this stripped down product, why are there covers in it? Covers of bands that no one has heard of, and shouldn't cost a whole lot to get the master? Hmmm...if it's lost, then get a different track. Sheesh.
-Rumored that there will be no DLC.
-Achievements are easy. I have more in it than GH3, which I had for what, like 6 months?

On the plus side, it is GH3: Aerosmith edition, so everything works and all that good stuff...but goddamn if this isn't the laziest full-priced game that's being advertised as a "new" product in a long time. (Stern look at Madden series)

jcalder8
07-06-2008, 02:05 AM
-If I'm paying 60 bones for this stripped down product, why are there covers in it? Covers of bands that no one has heard of, and shouldn't cost a whole lot to get the master? Hmmm...if it's lost, then get a different track. Sheesh.
I wasn't planing on buying it but after hearing this I won't be buying it for sure.

otaku
07-06-2008, 02:45 AM
I think its alright. Probably about a seven. But agreed I've had it since it came out (not even a week) and just need to finish up expert and I'll be done. I'll be trading it off soon most likely. Worth playing but try to rent a copy or something

Course I love aerosmith

unwinddesign
07-06-2008, 03:06 AM
I wasn't planing on buying it but after hearing this I won't be buying it for sure.

To be fair, it is only four songs out of what, 41, that are covers...but 29 or so of those are Aerosmith or Joe Perry (which, if they were covers, someone would have to be slapped...)...which leaves us with 12 songs by other bands.

And four of those are covers. 33% is not a good ratio.

On the subject of easiness, I haven't played GH in like months, and I beat almost all of expert, before getting owned by the Perry Guitar Battle (which I wussed out on...) and then Train Kept a Rollin', which is a long, terrible song that I have no incentive to practice to beat. And it was already on Rock Band. And it was bad there, too. Also, "Dude Looks Like a Lady" (or w/e it's called) is missing, which is surprising, seeing as how it was one of their biggest hits...

Icarus Moonsight
07-06-2008, 04:11 AM
Nope, not gonna. I'm waiting for World Tour. I'm also sitting the DS On Tour version out. 1, 2 and 3 gives me plenty to do until fall.

misfits859
07-06-2008, 06:25 AM
I remember hearing that there was going to be a Guitar Hero: Aerosmith edition and thought it was a not-so-funny joke.

I still do.

badinsults
07-06-2008, 07:17 AM
I still think it is funny how many people complain about the price. When you think about how many songs you get, it isn't much more than it would be to buy a few cds with the same amount of songs. And it is a freaking game. Do you complain about paying $50 for Halo 3?

kingpong
07-06-2008, 09:59 AM
The price issue is one of precedent. GH3 had 73 songs and was $60. This game really only has 40 songs since one was available as free GH3 DLC, but it is still $60. How can the price be justified? Pretty bold to charge the same price for 45% less content. GH:WT is going to have more than twice as many songs as this game but it will sell for the same price - and never mind the fact that it will actually have vocals and drums. GH:A is a very bad deal relative to the others in the GH series.

FlufflePuff
07-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I still think it is funny how many people complain about the price. When you think about how many songs you get, it isn't much more than it would be to buy a few cds with the same amount of songs. And it is a freaking game. Do you complain about paying $50 for Halo 3?

I totally agree with you here. As far as the game, I would say it's my least favorite of the series so far. There are some fun tunes, but I'm just not a big enough Aerosmith fan to enjoy this game. I really wish "Dude Looks Like a Lady" was on it too. There seems to be lots of crappy songs and not enough of their hits.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-06-2008, 10:09 AM
...My thoughts:

-So cheap. Reused GH3 everything. Lazy.

...but goddamn if this isn't the laziest full-priced game that's being advertised as a "new" product in a long time...

You obviously haven't played Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s.

tonyvortex
07-06-2008, 11:01 AM
im not interested in this game at all,but im sure there must be some fans of the band who are excited by it.i can honestly say i will pick up the metallica one when that comes out.i do agree these side guitar heros should be a tad cheaper at least to get more people to buy it,i assume most people pass and wait for the actual sequel.

Sniderman
07-06-2008, 11:14 AM
You obviously haven't played Guitar Hero Rocks the 80s.

Words. Mouth. Outta. Took.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I played the game at a friend's July 4th barbecue party ... and I must agree that the overall game is sorely lacking in anything that sets it apart as nothing more than an over-priced expansion. (At LEAST Rocks the 80s had some serious variety in the track listing!)

The Aerosmith characters look pretty god awful in comparison to the imaginative and wonderfully thought out Guitar Hero character designs.

The non Aerosmith tracks are pretty good (Dream Police is by far my favorite Cheap Trick song) ... I've never been an Aerosmith fan, but I do know their top 40 stuff ... unfortunately, the opening track selections are SO obscure (or just never got any radio play) that I wasn't really compelled to select them at all, much less toil through them to unlock the more recognizable tracks.

I'm sure for an Aerosmith fan that overall, it's a great selection of tracks, but until Guitar Hero 4 ... this is going to be an unwelcome reminder of how awesome it is that Rock Band gets FULL ALBUMS on a near monthly basis now, and we don't have to suffer through $60 add-on games like this.

Dastardly Dylan
07-06-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm not planning on picking this game up, nor was I ever interested in it. I listen to some of Aerosmith's music, but I'm not a big enough fan to pick up a whole game on them. Until there is a game based on one of my favorite bands, I shall rejoice.

RPG_Fanatic
07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
I can honestly say i will pick up the metallica one when that comes out.

That's the one I'm waiting for!!! :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

walrusmonger
07-06-2008, 11:53 AM
It's an ok game, 7/10. Only people who should buy it are huge fans of aerosmith or guitar hero lovers who will play anything with new tracks. I like aerosmith and love guitar hero, I don't feel regret for buying the game since I knew what I was getting before I even paid the clerk.

sisko
07-06-2008, 03:58 PM
The songs themselves are OK.
However the complete lack of songs is not.

$60 for only 41 songs?
What happened to $60 for 73 songs?

fcw3
07-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Picked it up used yesterday at GS with my Edge card AND a 25% off coupon, taking the price down to a reasonable $36 (which is what it should have been new). Forty one songs as DLC would have cost a lot more that $36.

Game seems OK.

FRED

Dastardly Dylan
07-06-2008, 07:16 PM
They should totally make Guitar Hero: Kevin Federline

Icarus Moonsight
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM
They should totally make Guitar Hero: Kevin Federline

Guitar Hero: David Allen Coe has a better chance at getting a release. LOL

Fuyukaze
07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm going to pass on this as if it was a cheap 50 year old prostitute with half her teeth missing.

41 songs and a wii shell for 100$??? or 60 for just the game? Not even worth my time.

rpgadam07
07-06-2008, 10:53 PM
I rented it from GameFly. It was decent. I really liked some of the songs even though I'm not not an Aerosmith fan, such as Back in the Saddle, Kings and Queens, and Train Kepta Rollin.

I did have a problem with the difficulty of the songs. The reason I am still playing Guitar Hero 3 even though I got it back in November for my birthday is because most of the songs are still challenging and fun to play (One, Through the Fire and Flames, etc). On GH: Aerosmith, there were only a couple of songs that were a challenge to me (like Train Kepta Rollin and the Joe Perry Battle).

It was a good rent, but I probably wouldn't want to own it unless it was a gift or something.

nate1749
07-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Poor aerosmith, first revolution x, now this.

thegardentool
07-08-2008, 01:19 AM
I bought it the day it came out and only played through a little bit of it. My wife has played through a lot more of it and seems to enjoy it.

I will say its probably the very last $60 game I'll buy on the 360. It seems that a lot of games are dropping at least $10 within a month or two of their release. Some are even dropping $20 or more within a couple more months.

I already have too many games I haven't even started playing plus I don't get a lot of time to play either these days.

Icarus Moonsight
07-08-2008, 05:09 AM
$60 for even the Wii version now? Sheeesh.

I have found it for $50 at Game Crazy but, everywhere else - it's $60. WTF?

kaedesdisciple
07-08-2008, 08:10 AM
That's the pain with GH games, the price almost NEVER drops. Take a look at Gamestop; for GH2 on the 360 they are still charging $50, and GH3 is still $60. One could argue popularity, but I think it has more to do with getting making the money back from licensing the songs than anything else as I believe they are the most expensive parts of this game genre. Who knows what kind of licensing deal they got with the RIAA: one huge flat fee? Royalties on every copy sold? Profit sharing? Either way, those songs don't come cheap.

AceAerosmith
07-08-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm a huge Aerosmith fan and even I thought the game was lite on song content. I thought there was going to be a least 40 Aerosmith songs alone. And, there's only 41 songs all together. Plus, alot of the songs are ones I wouldn't have even gone near in choosing for the game. i.e. Kings And Queens, Bright Light Fright, No Surprize.

They have better material to draw from ( No More, No More; Janie's Got A Gun) and I was let down that they didn't do a better selection. I wanted a second guitar for the wife to play anyway so it wasn't that big a deal to buy it but still, I wanted more.

Icarus Moonsight
07-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Couldn't even make Ace happy... That's quite revealing of the quality, or lack thereof. :/

AceAerosmith
07-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Couldn't even make Ace happy... That's quite revealing of the quality, or lack thereof. :/

There's only 2 songs I enjoy playing. (Uncle Salty, Back In The Saddle) There were soooooooooooooooo many songs I REALLY wanted to be in it and they chose some songs I think absolutely SUCK. Bright Light Fright is one of the worst songs they have ever recorded. It was filler on a 9-song album. Filler on a 9 song album??? Also, Joe Perry is on vocals and HE CANNOT SING!!!!!! Do you hear me, Joe?!?!?!? You CAN'T sing!!!! Stop it!!!!! Oh, man...thought I gave myself an aneurysm.

Besides, Aerosmith hasn't put out a new album of ALL ORIGINAL songs since 2001's Just Push Play. But, they've repackaged their greatest hits 2 or 3 times in between. I think they're getting lazy and greedy in their old ages. And, I think they were being lazy in their approach to GH:A.

Zap!
07-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Also, "Dude Looks Like a Lady" (or w/e it's called) is missing, which is surprising, seeing as how it was one of their biggest hits...

Let's not forget that Janie's Got A Gun (my personal favorite), The Other Side, and Don't Want To Miss A Thing (their only number 1 hit) are also missing. Unreal...

Matt-El
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Let's face it though: Don't want to miss a thing was their worst single. Even Just Push Play is better than that.

Zap!
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Let's face it though: Don't want to miss a thing was their worst single. Even Just Push Play is better than that.

Doesn't matter, it was their biggest hit and it belongs there. I never heard of at least 20% of those Aerosmith songs (including the one you mentioned), and I consider myself a fan.

meancode
07-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I can't believe "Dude Looks Like a Lady" is not in it.

meancode
07-09-2008, 12:58 AM
I believe that "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" would be close to really very badly sucking in a game that only has guitar.

Rob2600
07-09-2008, 07:51 PM
$60 for even the Wii version now? Sheeesh.

I have found it for $50 at Game Crazy but, everywhere else - it's $60. WTF?

The Wii version is $49.99 at Best Buy, Kmart, and Target in NYC.

Dastardly Dylan
07-09-2008, 08:27 PM
I can't believe "Dude Looks Like a Lady" is not in it.

..WH...WHAT?!?!!? GODDAMMIT!

Ugh! NOW I HATE YOU GH AEROSMITH THE VIDEO GAME!

Policenaut
07-09-2008, 08:41 PM
I am sooo glad I didn't buy this game, I was looking for a replacement for my dead broken Krammer guitar, that and that I am not such a fan of Aerosmith.

RJ
07-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Icarus Moonsight wrote: "Couldn't even make Ace happy... That's quite revealing of the quality, or lack thereof. :/"

Actually, AceAerosmith's critiques are spot-on, especially for breakfast cereals, network TV shows, & Guns n' Roses opening acts.

However, he didnt seem to find anything wrong w/ XBOX "Drake of the 99 Dragons".

Pete Rittwage
07-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Poor aerosmith, first revolution x, now this.

Ha! Rev-X was such a bad game. I recall playing it one time and the speech in it was not very clear. I forget whatever Steven Tyler was saying throughout the game, a friend of mine made of fun of it saying "more coins!" "more coins!".

That summed up the game for me- a terrible coin sucker. "MORE COINS!"

Icarus Moonsight
07-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Icarus Moonsight wrote: "Couldn't even make Ace happy... That's quite revealing of the quality, or lack thereof. :/"

Actually, AceAerosmith's critiques are spot-on, especially for breakfast cereals, network TV shows, & Guns n' Roses opening acts.

However, he didnt seem to find anything wrong w/ XBOX "Drake of the 99 Dragons".

I didn't mean that as a knock on Ace... I can see how one could take it as such. The guy has the band as his avatar and still couldn't get behind it. That, being the indicator of the games lameness. Not his personal taste. ;)

Drake of the 99 Dragons? Really? Now I don't feel so bad. :p

AceAerosmith
07-11-2008, 08:04 AM

I never said Drake was a great game and I've told you that. I paid a whole $3 for it and got a little game play out it. But, at least I was willing to try a game without having to scour the internet, read old game magazines ratings, and check out gaming message boards for mass approval before buying a game I thought might be interesting.

RJ
07-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Well I consider Ace a personal friend, I was his best man (he could find) & he got me GH3 as a gift. I meant my above post as a joke (I thought the Gn'R reference would tip Ace off) & didnt mean any harm or ill will to anyone. Ace & I had it out once before & I dont want that again. I guess I'll stick to picking on him at work. :P

BTW- is it really so bad to use reviews to influence my buying decisions? Anyone heard of Consumer Reports? Don't we buy groceries, shop for new cars, see movies etc. based on what we already know about the product(s)?

Hey Ace, you have to go after Pete for dissing Revolution X! ;)

/end topic derailment