PDA

View Full Version : PS3 corrected version 2.41

lendelin
07-08-2008, 03:14 AM
Two hours ago (yep, I'm playing GT5 online like crazy) the PS network prompted me to download a new firmware update. It is version 2.41, obviously the corrected version of 2.40 which caused for some users serious problems.

Thank goodness I haven't had problems when I downloaded 2.40....and so far with the new update either. :)

gepeto
07-08-2008, 06:41 AM
I tell you between the ps2 and psp I have never seen so many firmware updates. I would be happy with a biannually big one.

Alfador
07-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Not me, give me an update as soon as you finish it!

namzep
07-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I'd prefer if they made it available right away but didn't force you to upgrade if you want to play certain newer titles. The Wii pisses me off in a similar way. I don't know how the 360 handles it, but I would guess it does updates similarly.

AceAerosmith
07-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Me thinks I should look into this before PS3 goes wacko. No problems yet with 2.40.

Nature Boy
07-08-2008, 10:13 AM
I'd prefer if they made it available right away but didn't force you to upgrade if you want to play certain newer titles. The Wii pisses me off in a similar way. I don't know how the 360 handles it, but I would guess it does updates similarly.

There hasn't been a firmware update in a *long* time. Just patches to individual titles that you have to download before you can play them (assuming you're connected to the net that is - nothing would stop you from disconnecting and playing it anyway as far as I know).

Flack
07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't play my PS3 that often, so it seems like every time I have somebody over to the house and want to show them a game I have a mandatory update waiting for me that I must download and install before I can show off the system. People aren't too impressed when every time I show them a game it takes 15 minutes to get online. :/

mailman187666
07-08-2008, 11:38 AM
I like having new things added to my system. Patches and stuff are kind of a pain in the ass, but firmware I will take any day of the week. I want as many useful features as I can get because it feels like I am getting more for my money than originally intended. Same with PSP.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Ingame XMB is pretty sweet in it's 1st iteration.

It'll be great to be able to send/receive emails mid-game instead of having to quit out of a game just to respond to an urgent message.

One thing that I'm not a huge fan of in this version of the firmware is that date/time stamp in the upper right hand corner of the XMB screen that apparently can't be turned off.

heybtbm
07-08-2008, 01:29 PM
One thing that I'm not a huge fan of in this version of the firmware is that date/time stamp in the upper right hand corner of the XMB screen that apparently can't be turned off.

Really? That feature seems kind of cool. It prevents me from rotating my head 90 and looking at a real clock.

lendelin
07-08-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't play my PS3 that often, so it seems like every time I have somebody over to the house and want to show them a game I have a mandatory update waiting for me that I must download and install before I can show off the system. People aren't too impressed when every time I show them a game it takes 15 minutes to get online. :/

Same here. I don't like mandatory upgrades as soon as you go online, we should have the option to upgrade when we want.

I like these upgrades a lot, but I don't want them right away and would like to wait a couple of days in case there are problems (see 2.40).

Overall so far the upgrades are impressive, the biggest certainly 1.80 with the DVD- and PS2 - upscalers. The new 2.40 is great also because the main menu can be accessed anytime w/o quitting a game. Since I lost recently my online gaming virginity I can truly appreciate to look up messages or write even short messages while in GT5 the player matching screen is in progress. (yes, I'm a lonely man, I have online friends)

meancode
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Not me, give me an update as soon as you finish it!

As long as it doesn't brick the console... oh, too late.

meancode
07-09-2008, 01:04 AM

The 360 Dash updates prompt you. You can decline. Though there are games that will not play without an update. And similarly if you have hard drive with a newer FW version and stick in on an older 360, you gotta update.

What irritates me to no end is the game updates on the 360. There is NO warning and you are immediately kicked from Live. This is most irritating if you are in the middle of a conversation or something.

And the XBLA games are growing a tendency to need updating at a staggering limit.

I am all for the updates, but come on people, allow us to cancel. I only had two words to finish my last sentence!

Lothars
07-09-2008, 05:57 AM
As long as it doesn't brick the console... oh, too late.

I think the bricking console thing was an over blown thing even though they pulled it, but I'm not sure

did it brick alot of consoles?

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-09-2008, 07:21 AM
I think the bricking console thing was an over blown thing even though they pulled it, but I'm not sure

did it brick alot of consoles?

Since techincally, there was a definitive way of fixing it (reformatting the HDD) no consoles were perma-bricked.

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-12-2008, 09:00 PM
The PS3 prompts users on update notice as well.

In fact, unlike the 360 which just gives you a yes/no option ... on the PS3 when you get the message to update - you have to manually move to the network update on the XMB, select the method of updating, and then read a user agreement statement (which if read, probably absolves Sony of any punitive damages) before accepting the update.

I'm sure Sony will compensate users for their lost saves (those are really the only thing that could be permanently "lost") they've always compensated users for their errors in the past (I recall several instances of Sony giving out 1st party software for things like game demo discs that caused memory card save crashes, or hardware that needed to be sent in for unavoidable repairs) but since the actual instances of systems affected by the 2.40 firmware were relatively low (is there even a concrete estimate out there?) we'll probably not find out what compensation they did/will do.

BHvrd
07-12-2008, 09:14 PM
I had no problem with 2.40 myself, guess maybe I was lucky, I dunno.

Wonder if it only did it to ps3's with GTA4 saves on them. It's a thought!

Frankie_Says_Relax
07-12-2008, 09:53 PM
I had no problem with 2.40 myself, guess maybe I was lucky, I dunno.

Wonder if it only did it to ps3's with GTA4 saves on them. It's a thought!

I think it would have been much more of an issue if that were the case, considering how many PS3's have GTA4 saves on them (one of the biggest selling titles of the year).

Reports seem to point to it being a much smaller number of consoles.

Personally I don't know a single person that got the 2.40 and had an issue with it bricking their consoles.

That is of course not to say that it didn't brick some, I just haven't met or seen any posts around here with people that suffered through that issue.

G-Boobie
07-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Though I haven't seen it myself due primarily to laziness, there's allegedly an informal poll on NeoGAF on the subject of bricked PS3s. As of Thursday, 800 people responded total. There were two bricks, a few 'Bluetooth is cutting out' messages, and that was that.

I was lucky enough to avoid 2.40. After my 360 issues, I just don't need it. "Oh good, the OTHER 'current gen' console is dead too? Great. I'm burning them both and going back to PS2."