PDA

View Full Version : Good DS Dungeon Crawlers

namzep
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I've just about finished up playing LEGO Indiana Jones (good game but kind of quick) and have decided to look for some dungeon crawlers for my DS. I'm looking for games that are similar in style/playability to Diablo (basically fun hack-and-slash dungeon games) but would probably be interested in other types, too. I just want some mindless maiming and treasure hunting. :)

Lady Jaye
07-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Not Dungeon Explorer. Unfortunately, it's a disappointing title.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for GBA is ok, but if you've played it on one of the home consoles, then you've played it already. I'd still get it before Dungeon Explorer, though.

I've read reviews that say that the new Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles for DS has a good dungeon crawl side to it, but personally I'm getting tired of the chibi (cute) charadesign in handheld RPGs. Before getting it, check out gameplay videos of the game on youtube (search for Ring of Fates or Crystal Chronicles DS).

Snapple
07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Whatever you do, don't get Tao's Adventure. It's the sequel to Azure Dreams, which was a tremendous dungeon crawler for PS1. Tao's Adventure is pure ass though.

Jorpho
07-09-2008, 09:31 AM
There sem to be lots of fans of Etrian Odyssey, if that's what you mean by "dungeon crawler".

For truly mindless maiming and treasure hunting, Contact should do you good.

namzep
07-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know if the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games are any good? They look kind of interesting.

I've been looking for the original Etrian Odyssey for awhile. Do you need to have played the first one to understand the story for the second? I have Dark Alliance for my Gamecube but I may have to look into getting it for the GBA (I play portables much more than my home systems). Contact may have to be my next pickup (I love Atlus RPGs).

Lady Jaye
07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Ooooh, thanks Jorpho for the heads up about Etrian Odyssey!!! It's on my want list now.

Gapporin
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I've heard good things about Mystery Dungeon: Shiren The Wanderer,but I've not yet played it myself, so I cannot give my own opinion of it.

carlcarlson
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Orcs and Elves is supposed to be pure hack n slash, but I also think it got bad reviews. Summon Night: Twin Age has been compared to Diablo, but I haven't played it either. It looks pretty decent though, and it might be your best bet.

If you're looking for a Diablo experience I don't think either Etrian Odyssey or Contact are going to do you much good. Etrian Odyssey is a dungeon crawl to be sure, but it's definitely not hack n slash or mindless. I haven't played Contact, but nothing about it really screams hack n slash dungeon crawl to me. I'm looking to pick it up, but not to scratch my Diablo itch.

Cantaloup
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Shiren the Wanderer are both excellent if you like rogue-like games (sort of turn-based versions of Diablo). I'd recommend Shiren over PMD if you're considering both, but PMD is good too. Orcs and Elves is a first person, turn-based dungeon exploration game. It's pretty good, although the length is fairly short and there is limited replay value; the dungeons are not randomized so it's the same every time.

If you're looking for real-time action dungeon crawlers, you might check into The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King for the GBA. They are basically Diablo clones set in the LOTR story. There's also a new Gauntlet game coming out for the DS later this month.

dsullo
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
I completed Orcs and Elves on Normal Mode. While I found it limited due to the last of different weapons. I found it somewhat charming and old school. It held my attention enough to finish the game. If you can find it cheap, its worth a look. If they make a part 2 I will buy it.

mailman187666
07-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I'll second the etrian oddysey games also. They are first person turnbased dungeon crawlers, but as an owner of both, I recommend them if that is the style of game you are looking for. Lots of grinding in it and lots of oldschool style to it.

calthaer
07-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Etrian Odyssey is kind of the definitive dungeon crawler on the DS, to be quite honest. But it's hard(er) to find now and of course the price has gone up a tad from its initial offering - usually around $40, which is what I paid some months ago.

Definitely worth playing...not quite as good as the old-school Bard's Tale, but...

Too bad nobody makes an Apple II / Amiga emulator for the DS.

Jorpho
07-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Deep Labyrinth is also an old-school first person dungeon crawler.

Gapporin
07-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Too bad nobody makes an Apple II / Amiga emulator for the DS.

Ah, but there is! (http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/jeuxdev.-perso/pomds.php)

Trebuken
07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Seriously...everyone needs to play Puzzle Quest...RPG in disguise...

namzep
07-09-2008, 03:11 PM
Seriously...everyone needs to play Puzzle Quest...RPG in disguise...
I second that. One of the more interesting RPGs I've played in recent memory. Can't wait for the second one to come out. :)

I've seen a bunch of good suggestions in the thread and think I may have to try and track down Etrian Odyssey (or I might just get the second one). Would I be totally lost playing it before the original?

calthaer
07-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Ah, but there is! (http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/jeuxdev.-perso/pomds.php)

YOU, SIR, ARE = TEH R0><0R!
My day has now been made. Now I need to find somebody who can transfer my old Bard's Tale saves to my PC, and I will take up the mantle once again.

EDIT: Seriously...I wish I had some meseta to reward fellow posters with.

hbkprm
07-09-2008, 03:29 PM
i have to give props to deep labrynth

namzep
07-09-2008, 09:23 PM
I ended up picking up Orcs and Elves to play around with (it was only $10) but will look into picking up some of the other games this weekend.

walrusmonger
07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Deep Lab. was great, but I would have to go with Etrian 1 or 2 (both are fantastic and they're pretty much exactly the same in the gameplay department)

ScourDX
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Try Izuna: Unemployed Ninja. Other dungeon crawler worth checking out would be Children of Mana.

Icarus Moonsight
07-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Keep your eyes peeled for From the Abyss. Aksys release coming later this year. Looks very interesting. :)

carlcarlson
07-10-2008, 07:01 AM
I ended up picking up Orcs and Elves to play around with (it was only $10) but will look into picking up some of the other games this weekend.

I'd be interested to know what you think of it. It sounds fun to me, just simple rpg action. The reviews haven't been great though so I've always stayed away.

Icarus Moonsight
07-10-2008, 07:38 AM
As long as you know what you're getting - a port of a cell phone title plus a first person dungeon hack, and you still want it, you should be satisfied. Especially at $10-$20. It's basically Deep Labyrinth only more action orientated. As far as I understand.

Wraith Storm
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Try Izuna: Unemployed Ninja. Other dungeon crawler worth checking out would be Children of Mana.

Izuna is great! The game itself is average at best, but the translation Atlus gave it was so charming I fell in love! I can't wait for the sequel. It looks to improve upon the original in every way.

Snapple
07-11-2008, 12:12 AM

Actually, I thought Children of Mana was mostly pretty terrible. They tried to stretch about 15 minutes worth of gameplay into a 20 hour game, and I wanted to beat my head in by the time I finished. I had to force myself to finish.

namzep
07-17-2008, 08:15 AM
After reading some reviews here and there, I picked up Etrian Odyssey II and Contact. I'm sure that several of the other games will be ones that I pick up within the next couple of months (concentrating on DS games as I seem to play that more than any of my other systems).

Lady Jaye
08-12-2008, 08:33 AM
How is Etrian Odyssey II? I've been hesitating so much about that one, that it's ridiculous.

namzep
08-12-2008, 08:36 AM
How is Etrian Odyssey II? I've been hesitating so much about that one, that it's ridiculous.
Really addictive. It will take me forever to finish but I like all the grinding it requires.